NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

E̶3̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶0̶

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

With the way the virus is spreading, I wouldn't be surprised if E3 did get cancelled/moved. 

100%.

Could also see everyone just following a Direct-style, straight-to-video format that week in place of their conferences, which can be streamed live as an alternative to allow everyone to stay at home, which is ultimately the safest way to contain this. This would be in line with how Microsoft and some other vendors seem to be handling GDC. Could also livestream some demos like Treehouse, and maybe even, *gasp*, release some demos during E3!

The irony of this all is that the ESA have been in hot water for how they were planning to run this year's event, and now the power is almost completely back in the hands of publishers and developers: no-one is going to blame them for playing it safe and not going to E3 this year, especially if they do still try to share their visions for the next year through other means. Definitely going to be interesting to see how it's all handled.

Tangential, but something I think they could have done anyways but might want to try out even more now E3 is on the rocks: as Xbox seem to be planning a grace period for transition between generations from the One/One X to Series X by utilising xCloud, heck, imagine if they turned around and released demos during E3 which allowed people to practically try out next-gen with a public trial of xCloud? 

World Premiere.

They show us the Halo trailer. 

Power Your Dreams...

...now.

Play the future with xCloud today. Demo available now.

Unrelated to E3 but along similar lines, seeing as we don't have much of a serious topic talking about the coronavirus around, I'll just put it here: I imagine that we're going to see similar announcements for other international events in the coming weeks, the biggest of which obviously being the Euro's and Olympics taking place this summer. I don't think there's any excuse to not delay the Euro's considering this year's format invites more travel across the continent than ever before, with games being played all over the place, but I am a little bit concerned that Japan and the IOC will view the Olympics as too large an investment to delay/cancel, considering how many contracts are typically lined up for alternative venue uses after the completion of the Olympics. Cancelling/delaying contracts and allowing the new stadiums and venues to sit around for a year just isn't something I see them allowing. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Unrelated to E3 but along similar lines, seeing as we don't have much of a serious topic talking about the coronavirus around, I'll just put it here: I

I tried making a serious topic, and people just hijacked it with jokes.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Julius said:

Unrelated to E3 but along similar lines, seeing as we don't have much of a serious topic talking about the coronavirus around, I'll just put it here: I imagine that we're going to see similar announcements for other international events in the coming weeks, the biggest of which obviously being the Euro's and Olympics taking place this summer. I don't think there's any excuse to not delay the Euro's considering this year's format invites more travel across the continent than ever before, with games being played all over the place, but I am a little bit concerned that Japan and the IOC will view the Olympics as too large an investment to delay/cancel, considering how many contracts are typically lined up for alternative venue uses after the completion of the Olympics. Cancelling/delaying contracts and allowing the new stadiums and venues to sit around for a year just isn't something I see them allowing. 

Japan seems to be still wanting to go ahead with the Olympics, probably due the reasons you stated.

In terms of football, I see that Italy has already issued the rule of games being played without spectators, pretty much for the rest of the season. I imagine more countries will follow this action and do the same.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

I tried making a serious topic, and people just hijacked it with jokes.

If you still had Dr in your name it would have worked out better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Japan seems to be still wanting to go ahead with the Olympics, probably due the reasons you stated.

In terms of football, I see that Italy has already issued the rule of games being played without spectators, pretty much for the rest of the season. I imagine more countries will follow this action and do the same.

The tourism branch is already suffering a lot from the virus. The Mobile World Congress didn't happen this year due to the virus, resulting in empty hotels and 20,000 temporary jobs being lost. Travel agencies are not receiving any bookings, and hotels in Brussels have already asked for help as they practically run on the EU situated there but there are hardly any conferences taking place.

The Game Developers Conference is cancelled as well, which is impacting small developers and people looking to work in the industry. They put serious money in their flights and accomodation as personal investment of being there. I heard about people from South America being basically bankrupt after this, and there are already some actions put up to help them. Dutch developer Rami from Vlambeer for example mentioned it:

Events that are months away are being canned, so I can't imagine that we will see E3 this year. I'm still not sure if it we are all overreacting, but it does show how normal it is to travel all around the globe and how much of a globalised world we live in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Dutch developer Rami from Vlambeer for example mentioned it:

Speaking of Dutch, I see the cases have doubled. Also...

The rise in cases comes as the country tries to put in place a plan for some 900 students due to return from skiing holidays in northern Italy.

The group, members of a fraternity in the northern Dutch city of Groningen, travelled to Sestriere in the Italian Alps before the Dutch government changed its travel advice to say all trip to the region should be cancelled unless necessary.

However, Hanneke Mensink, the local health authorities' spokeswoman, told Reuters they had been warned before they left at the weekend.

"We told them our worries, but they decided to go anyway. That is their responsibility."

That's ludicrous. So they've went to Italy for a holiday, knowing that the virus was turning into a hot zone over there, and then there are allowed to just waltz back into the country? Crazy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's ludicrous. So they've went to Italy for a holiday, knowing that the virus was turning into a hot zone over there, and then there are allowed to just waltz back into the country? Crazy.

People are stupid, selfish and tend not to think before they act if it seems like they'd benefit from it.

It's the sad reality of the world.

Just now, Glen-i said:

People are stupid, selfish and tend not to think before they act if it seems like they'd benefit from it.

It's the sad reality of the world.

It's absolute madness. Letting 900 potentially infected people back into your country after they were warned not to go just baffles me. They should make them stay over there. It was like the case over in New Hampshire. Apparently a person was diagnosed with the virus and then went to some event/festival regardless. 

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's absolute madness. Letting 900 potentially infected people back into your country after they were warned not to go just baffles me. They should make them stay over there. It was like the case over in New Hampshire. Apparently a person was diagnosed with the virus and then went to some event/festival regardless. 

I can imagine they're allowed because of the potential political backlash that would occur if they weren't allowed back.

Not the best look to not let citizens back into their country.

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Speaking of Dutch, I see the cases have doubled. Also...

It's stupid. They shouldn't have gone in the first place. There wasn't an official travel ban when they left, but they got adviced not to go. But being a fraternity of mostly rich kids means they don't really care. I'm really curious to see how they are going to treat them here, it's not like you can quickly and easily test 900 people for the virus, but they are also not the type of people who will willingly go into quarantine until tested.

Luckily it's in the northern part of Netherlands, nowhere near me : grin: although I think there now is a student affected from the university in my town so it's coming close.

But to be honest I'm not that panicky about it. I'll follow protocol but I'm not that scared of getting it. If it's going to happen it's going to happen, and for the rest just use your common sense (such as don't go skiing in North Italy...).

• Thanks 1

I can imagine they're allowed because of the potential political backlash that would occur if they weren't allowed back.
Not the best look to not let citizens back into their country.

They should be made to go into quarantine for 2 weeks before they can come back. Not sure if that's happening?

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

They should be made to go into quarantine for 2 weeks before they can come back. Not sure if that's happening?

How the heck is one supposed to quarantine 900 people at once, though?

I know you're joking, but I must stress this for posterity: quarantining several people at once involves quarantining each person from the rest of that group, too :heh:

How the heck is one supposed to quarantine 900 people at once, though?

Forgive me for the small amount of sympathy given, but regardless of how logistically difficult this would have been (but not impossible), it's also the only option that makes sense. If quarantine isn't done right (i.e. stopping travel), it may as well not happen at all.

On 07/03/2020 at 2:17 AM, Sheikah said:

Forgive me for the small amount of sympathy given, but regardless of how logistically difficult this would have been (but not impossible), it's also the only option that makes sense. If quarantine isn't done right (i.e. stopping travel), it may as well not happen at all.

Sympathy has nothing to do with it. Logistics is everything, and a botched quarantine is worse than no quarantine at all.

In this scenario, merely stopping travel would be akin to the Diamond Princess scenario, where a single infected individual risks contaminating the entire bunch. Furthermore, stopping travel does not guarantee that the 900 individuals will be properly quarantined and tested in Italy (a country with so many cases of Corona Virus, doctors are stretched thin), and even if they are, a lot of potentially unfeasible work remains (that's finding 900 rooms for them to stay, bringing the students there without risk of further infection, and then justify 900 foreigners having those rooms instead of prioritizing 900 locals. And then testing the healthy ones again upon arrival in the Netherlands)

Unless you meant "stopping travel INTO Italy in the first place". That, I can agree with, even if it's prevention, not the solution.

Sympathy has nothing to do with it. Logistics is everything, and a botched quarantine is worse than no quarantine at all.
That's what I said - a botched quarantine (i.e. letting people travel out and potentially spread the virus) is worse than no quarantine at all.          

In this scenario, merely stopping travel would be akin to the Diamond Princess scenario, where a single infected individual risks contaminating the entire bunch.
I didn't say they should merely just stop travel and do nothing else?          

Furthermore, stopping travel does not guarantee that the 900 individuals will be properly quarantined and tested in Italy (a country with so many cases of Corona Virus, doctors are stretched thin), and even if they are, a lot of potentially unfeasible work remains (that's finding 900 rooms for them to stay, bringing the students there without risk of further infection, and then justify 900 foreigners having those rooms instead of prioritizing 900 locals. And then testing the healthy ones again upon arrival in the Netherlands)
Nothing you said there is impossible. The Italian government could arrange with hotels to house these people for 2 weeks. Not easy but by no means impossible. There'll be plenty of hotel options anyway since tourism has been hard hit. What ruins the chance of containment is letting a large number of people travel out and back to another country. With that many people you are quite likely to let at least one infected person out.  

Unless you meant "stopping travel INTO Italy in the first place". That, I can agree with, even if it's prevention, not the solution.

No - stopping travel in AND out. And unsurprisingly - Italy has now done exactly that - put much of the north on lockdown. Meaning no travel in or out, without an exceptional reason. Has this turn of events changed your opinion?

Multiple sources indicating it's been cancelled and the official announcement is coming tomorrow. 

(Or today I guess, UK time)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

Multiple sources indicating it's been cancelled and the official announcement is coming tomorrow. 

(Or today I guess, UK time)

This is a mercy killing at this point.

We probably won’t get an E3 2021 at all I reckon.

RIP E3 (1994-2019).  You had a good run.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

This is a mercy killing at this point.

We probably won’t get an E3 2021 at all I reckon.

RIP E3 (1994-2019).  You had a good run.

This what i'm thinking as well. This is a good test for companies to see if they can get their messages out in different ways, without the added hassle and expense that E3 brings. If successful, E3 could be pretty much done and dusted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never really understood some people's delight at seeing "E3 is dead", it's a sad time for me.

• Like 2

I know that we’re all having fun kicking a dead horse at this point.

But really? This is very sad... E3 was always like Christmas for me growing up.  It was always my favourite time of the year.  I have so, SO many fond memories of the insanity of each yearly event.

To think that it is actually, legitimately dead now, is very sad.  E3 may have become a shadow of its former self in recent years; but to see it actually die? Just makes me lament its loss all the more...

The industry really is falling apart now.

Sign in to follow this