NEurope
Glen-i

N-Europe Mario Kart 8 DX League 2020

CY3DCr2.png

It's the Mario Kart League 2020!

What is the Mario Kart League?

Simply put, it's a weekly meet-up of N-Europe members to play some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and then shout at each other afterwards. I suppose we could also find out who the best racer is as well.
The League is split up into two halves throughout the year.

How do I sign up?

• Post a comment declaring yourself IN! for each week that you'll be able to play.
  • League Nights generally take place every Thursday at 8pm (GMT). Please try to enter the room 15 minutes before that time if possible.
  • If you have declared yourself IN! but then can't make a night, please inform me on this thread before the league night starts. People who frequently pull a no-show with no notice may be penalised.
  • There is an "Always IN!" List for people who don't want to bother declaring themselves IN! every week. Please mention me (@Glen-i) in this thread if you want to be in this list.

What do I need to know about League Nights?

• There are generally two types of League Nights.
  • Player's Choice nights allow players to freely choose what vehicle they use and what tracks are played on.
  • Even though you can choose the track on these nights, please try your best to not choose a track that has already been raced on that night. No-one wants to do Rainbow Road 12 times.
  • Theme Nights dictate a specific vehicle setup and track order that must be followed.
  • Each night consists of 3 GP's, making for a total of 12 races. Please allow 45 to 60 minutes of your time to take part.
  • It is advisable that you add mine and @BowserBasher's friend code before taking part. (Glen-i - 3034-9087-7910 BowserBasher - 8313-9234-5620)

How are the points calculated?

• After each GP, the points you earned will be recalculated by me using this formula. (Total points divided by Number of Players multiplied by 12)
  • Your grand total is divided by the number of GP's you've taken part in, giving you an average score that will determine your placing in the league. This means that even if you miss a night, your score will not be affected, but your placing may change depending on changes in other people's scores.
  • In GP's that utilise Battle Mode, the points you earn are determined by your place, not the amount of points you got.
  • If your total attendance is below 50% at the end of a League, your score will be discounted from the final results.

What are Team Nights?

• Once a month starting from Feburary, there will be one night where the players will be split into two teams.
  • On these nights, two players will be designated the Team Leaders.
  • Everyone else should send me a Private Message saying what team they want to be in. Your choice must remain secret.
  • If one team has way more members than the other, I will ask the leaders to choose who gets moved to the other side.
  • Your points are still mainly determined by your placing, so you still want to come in 1st.
  • The team that has the highest total score on each GP will get an extra 10 points.

What is the Champion's Bonus?

• In each GP, beating the 2017 Mario Kart League Champion, RedShell, will earn you 5 points.
  • Beating the 2018 and 2019 Champion, Glen-i, will get you 10 points (Except RedShell, who will get 5 points for pulling that off)
  • Beating both of them will get you 15 points.
  • This bonus doesn't apply on Team Nights.

What is the Loser's Gambit?

• Starting from the second night onwards, the current lowest placed player can take part in the Loser's Gambit.
  • I will ask this player to nominate another player in secret that they think they can beat.
  • If they beat their chosen player in a GP, they will get bonus points. However, the lower the chosen player is in the league the less points they'll be worth.

Any other Rules I should know about?

• Theme Nights must be followed. However, if you don't have the right vehicle part, let me know as soon as possible. I will try to find an alternative part that has the same stats.
  • During Player's Choice nights, please do not choose a track that has already been raced on that night, it's only polite.
  • Do not rage quit, if I start to notice people "disconnecting" regularly, you may be penalised.
  • If you do disconnect, rejoin the room as soon as possible. You will earn one point for that race. But I'd be willing to discount that GP's score if it would result in lowering your average score. But don't take the mick. Be aware that discounting a GP will affect your total attendance.
  • Remember to let me or the host know if you can't make the night as soon as you can.
  • Have fun! And feel free to show off your hilarious (Or skillful) moments with the Switch video capture!

Theme Night Suggestions

• If you have a suggestion for a Theme Night, please send me a PM with the details and I'll try to implement it.

Thanks to @RedShell for the new logo!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 5

QY3bqbO.png

What is the Super Mario Kart League?

This is an alternate, less frequently occuring League that will run alongside the main League. The key difference is that this will take place in the classic SNES game, Super Mario Kart.
It will take place over 11 nights throughout the year starting from Feburary.

You can find the thread for this League here.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First League Night: 30th January 8pm

zTETtcA.png

Room 1: @BowserBasher is host

@Glen-i

@RedShell

@S.C.G

@BowserBasher

And with that, the thread is open. Everyone will need to confirm to me if they want to be on the Always IN! list.

I recommend reading the opening post, as the Champion's Bonus has been tweaked and there is a new Loser's Gambit Bonus in play.

And if you want to take part in the Super Mario Kart League, make sure you tell me so as well.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Nooooooooooooooo. Wish I could afford Mario Kart 8, always wanted to join the league :( 

Yay, there wiill be a Super Mario Kart league.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, "wired connection advisable" :( 

• Sad 1

Always

in 

For both leagues please. :D

giphy.webp?cid=790b76110b3fbadaffd584e0f

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Yay, there wiill be a Super Mario Kart league.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, "wired connection advisable" :( 

Our session on Kirby Super Star was relatively smooth, so you're welcome to try the SMK League. The more, the merrier.
I'm sure if you stay close to your router and aren't using Wi-Fi in McDonalds, it should be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Our session on Kirby Super Star was relatively smooth, so you're welcome to try the SMK League. The more, the merrier.

Alrighty, then.

I'm Always IN! for the Super Mario Kart league!

20170327-WPZA9N7OSa7y5pYcGlU2?s=9f005faf

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Count me in for both. And host again. @Glen-i will the leagues have joint points or are they separate leagues?

Seperate Leagues. So your performance in the Super Mario Kart League won't affect your score in the Mario Kart 8 League.

• Thanks 1

So is the SMK League going to run on random Thursdays in place of that week’s MK8DX League night then?

10 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

So is the SMK League going to run on random Thursdays in place of that week’s MK8DX League night then?

No, and I'm glad you asked. Let me give an example.

Once Feburary rolls around, I'll announce the pairings for that months SMK matches. So, just as an example...

Feburary Fixtures

Glen-i VS Dcubed

RedShell VS S.C.G

BowserBasher VS Drahkon

Something like that, it'll then be up to each pair to organise when they'll both be available to play their 3 GP's. Because Super Mario Kart only supports 2 people, it should be easier to have each pairing play when it's most convenient to them.

Oh, and just as a heads up, if there is an odd number of people for this, I'll bow out. I don't mind.

Once they finish their 3 GP's, they send proof of the results to me. Preferably with the little P1 and P2 icons on the left to show who is who.

And then in March, I'll shuffle the pairings around and we do it again. I want to aim for everyone being able to face each other at least once before the end of the year.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Wow. It’s like we never stopped playing. Screwed over at every turn. 😂 but fun as always. 

• Like 1

EPnK_3JU8AIiNXf?format=jpg&name=large

KLV5spM.png

Je8008G.png

Next League Night: 6th Feburary 8pm

LSXR4RA.png

Room 1: @BowserBasher is host

@Glen-i

@BowserBasher

@RedShell

@S.C.G

@martinist

@viceview51

What better way to kick off this particular year than with a Super Mario Kart themed night? Problem is, there's only 2 SNES tracks in this. So I had to use some N64 and GBA tracks as well as tracks that have the same name as a track from the SNES game...

Anyway, character choice is limited to the characters that appeared in Super Mario Kart, which are:

• Mario
  • Luigi
  • Peach
  • Toad
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Yoshi
  • Bowser

No, Donkey Kong isn't allowed. Donkey Kong Jr. is a completely different character. Brush up on your DK lore.

• Like 5

Feburary Fixtures

ZH4FMjW.png

Right, Feburary has started, so here are the first bunch of pairings that will play Super Mario Kart this month. It's the first month, so I used a random number generator to determine who goes with who.

@drahkon VS @Dcubed

@S.C.G VS @Glen-i

@RedShell VS @BowserBasher

Now, I'm not sure if @viceview51 is IN! for Super Mario Kart League, if he is, then he'll face @S.C.G instead.

Each of you will need to discuss when you'll be able to play. Private Message is probably the best way to go, but it's up to you.
Make sure you play your three GP's before March. And refer to the second post on this page if you need a reminder of what you need to do once you start playing.
And most importantly, get those screenshots on each race. Don't just assume the other person will get it for you.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RedShell said:

Oh man, seeing Yakuza 7 li-lo guy in the fixtures image got me again. :laughing: 

Seriously, how do you not typo all the bloody time with that gif to the left?

• Haha 1

Oh shit, it's already February?

Damn, I wanted to unlock the Special Cup just in case somebody wants to give it a go.

@Glen-i What do you think about making a separate thread for the Super Mario Kart League? I think it would help with keeping the thread(s) better organized.

Edited by drahkon