Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

Outer Wilds

1560353396772.jpg--game_review__outer_wi

Has anyone played this? It's a time loop game of 22 minute cycles in the style of Majora's Mask, but is kind of an exploration and mystery game, a kind of mix between Breath of the Wild and Her Story, where you'll read a hint of somewhere to visit on one planet and find out about the mystery of solar system by following up on that lead.

Kind of hard to explain without getting into spoilers but it's really quite amazing!

1560353396772.jpg--game_review__outer_wilds.jpg?1560353396000

Has anyone played this? It's a time loop game of 22 minute cycles in the style of Majora's Mask, but is kind of an exploration and mystery game, a kind of mix between Breath of the Wild and Her Story, where you'll read a hint of somewhere to visit on one planet and find out about the mystery of solar system by following up on that lead.

Kind of hard to explain without getting into spoilers but it's really quite amazing!
I think the concept of this game is amazing and will definitely be buying it. I have quite a lot of games I want to finish first though!

I played it on Game Pass. It’s spectacular for sure, but the obscurity of how to progress in the game will be off putting for some. 

I wasn’t keen on having to translate the text every time the loop reset, and only knowing if you hadn’t done it if the ship log updated. Some of the areas can be quite same-y. 

I figured this No Clip documentary about the game may of be some interest to people on here. I've watched a few of their documentaries now and they are always worth a watch if you are interested in the subject matter.

Mark Brown (game maker's toolkit) did a video about it, and I'm definitely interested. If they do a Switch port I'll probably get it there, otherwise I'll get it on PC at some point.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I figured this No Clip documentary about the game may of be some interest to people on here. I've watched a few of their documentaries now and they are always worth a watch if you are interested in the subject matter.

Ah nice one - yeah I love Danny O'Dwyer's work - I just watched a couple of minutes of this and I'm excited to come back to it - going to finish the game and then sit down for a full watch.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:07 PM, Dog-amoto said:

I played it on Game Pass. It’s spectacular for sure, but the obscurity of how to progress in the game will be off putting for some. 

I wasn’t keen on having to translate the text every time the loop reset, and only knowing if you hadn’t done it if the ship log updated. Some of the areas can be quite same-y. 

Yeah totally, it's not for everyone for sure. I actually think it's pretty poorly suited to game pass as it's so purposefully obtuse for the first couple of hours. Kind of agree re the text, though playing it in a short space of time I found I almost always remembered if I was somewhere that I'd already been and read the text.

That said, I actually think the game does a really great job of hinting at possible directions for you to explore, so I've so far only really felt stuck once or twice. The ways that different routes and explorations feed into information about roadblocks on other planets is pretty masterful, I think. Someone described it as a Metroidvania where you're not collecting abilities to progress, but knowledge, which seems pretty spot on.

I think I'm close to the end now and it really keeps astounding me. Some of the moments of revelation the game gives,  like working out how to get somewhere that you first heard of hours previously, have made my hair stand on end. Excited to see where it's all going to end up!

The secret ending you can get where you break the universe is sure entertaining :D

On 1/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

That was a really bloody awesome doc. Bit depressed by how young that main guy is for what a masterpiece the game is. Some really interesting stuff about the evolution of the game and also how many technical challenges were added by things like the scout launcher and the ship. Also mental that the guy from Heroes owns the studio or whatever? Thanks!

Finished the game the other day. It is unbelievably good, and the climax is really amazing. One of y'all check in when you've played it!

• Like 1