NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dan-likes-trees

Outer Wilds

Well, I'm an idiot :D

"You are dead!" graced my screen just now.

Spoiler

Learned a lot of new stuff which led me to the Advanced Warp Core.
I also learned that removing it stops the Ash Twin Project. However, I didn't connect the dots of the little history lesson regarding the 22 minute time loop I just read. I, of course, removed the warp core...

Sadly, I only realized what I've done just as I got absorbed in the supernova. I let out an audible "Ohhh, nooooo!" :laughing:

That was pretty neat.

Now I'm off to find out what to do with recent information/items I found.

Edited by drahkon

OH MY GOODNESS.

Spoiler

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to land on the Quantum Moon. Especially since I'm superficially interested in quantum mechanics and know a little bit about entanglement.

Well...in hindsight it was quite obvious what to do: Take a picture of the Quantum Moon so it's entangled with you.

The rest of the puzzle regarding the moon and its intricacies was pretty easy: repeatedly break entanglement with the moon so you can bring the shrine to the respective planet's north pole and then travel to the sixth location.

And there was Solanum. Such a cool surprise to see a living Nomai :D Also: the Quantum Moon orbits the Eye of the Universe. Should've figured it out by now :laughing:

This was possibly the coolest and most engaging puzzle I've ever had to solve. Absolutely amazing.

With a few bits and bytes of new information and everything I've learned before, I'm pretty sure I now know how to get to the end. Have to confirm one more thing, though:

Spoiler

Haven't reached The Vessel, yet, but I assume it's the key to reaching the Eye of the Universe.

Edit: It is confirmed. Now that I know what to do, it feels like the end of my journey is near. I'll get to it tomorrow. Can't wait :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Finished it.

What an amazing experience this was. Not "game of the year", not "game of the decade", not "game of the generation"...it's "game of the medium video games".
An absolute masterpiece that entangles (heh) narrative and gameplay.
The way the story unfolds via your own hands, your own actions and - in my opinion most importantly - at your pace is nothing short of incredible.

Outer Wilds is a perfect example of how something can only be done with our beloved medium. This wouldn't work in a book, movie, whatever.

I lack the words to give it as much praise as I want to. Everybody at least has to give it a chance.

Spoiler

At first I thought everything was about saving this universe, but I think it's more about breaking the loop which was a prison for all those (un)knowingly involved. It's about accepting that death (yours, the universe's) is inevitable. It's about the time you spend making memories, even though they will disappear.

It's tragic, yet heartwarming. :)

• Like 3

Watched the Noclip documentary.

First of all: They respected the 22 minute rule. The madlads :D I got tense when that song first kicked in.
Secondly, the people behind the game are so bloody smart. Not only with respect to the science(fiction) but they seem to really understand what's possible in video games

I think Outer Wilds should be played by game devs everywhere. They need to be inspired by it.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, Sheikah said:

Ah man, one of the most fun trophies in this game involves landing on something that's very challenging. A hell of a lot of fun.

Spoiler

Landing on Sun Station?

That was indeed very fun. Straight up reminded me of Interstellar.

Been working on completing the ship log while also taking care of a few trophies.
Found out that I missed something very important early on...

Spoiler

Tower of Quantum Knowledge.

No wonder it took me so long to figure out the rule of quantum imaging :laughing:

Anyways. Have a few things to search for on The Interloper, Dark Bramble and Giant's Deep to complete the log.

Edited by drahkon

Almost done with the trophy hunt. One more to go: Complete the game in one loop.
Should be simple enough. Will give it a go tonight.

I'm glad I'm going for the Platinum. Especially the "complete the ship log"-trophy is great. I learnt more bits and bytes of the universe's story, even after I had finished the game. :peace:

Recommended Outer Wilds to a mate who I was sure would also enjoy it.

Got a text this morning: "Pulled an all-nighter, I'll sleep through the zoom meetings!" :D

• Like 2

Glad you enjoyed it drahkon. The further I get removed from the game the more I look back on it more fondly. Its just such an incredible game. So meticulously designed and an utter joy to play through and explore the reaches of the system.

I played it originally on the Xbox One when it launched on Gamepass but a few months back I bought the PS4 version to have so I could dip in an put of every now and again. I may have seen the game through to its end so some of it will never feel as good the second time around but its just so much fun exploring the system they created and piecing it all together. Even on this second time, I've forgotten stuff that I knew first time through so in some ways I'm playing it anew. Regardless, I just love the game. Oh and that soundtrack is genuinely beautiful, the music at the end is just perfect. Guess I'll be giving that a listen to this afternoon.

It's easily made it into my favourite games of all time list just because no other game has given me the feeling this one has.

Very curious to see where Mobius Games goes next. Outer Wilds is going to be seriously tough game to follow up. I'll be there to see what they do though. They've shown they can craft a game superbly and make it genuinely intriguing to go at your own pace and just bring it all together on your own.

• Like 2

20210427185409.jpg

There it is :peace:
What a game. Highly recommended.

Now the real wait for Returnal begins :D

• Like 3

Interesting. Very interesting. :D

But don't release it anytime soon...we all know why :p

On 29/04/2021 at 7:13 AM, drahkon said:

Interesting. Very interesting. :D

But don't release it anytime soon...we all know why :p

Pokemon Snap 2 is out?

Edited by bob
  • Haha 2

Expansion, called Echoes of the Eye, was shown off during the Annapurna Interactive Showcase. Its launching on September 28th on Xbox, PS4 and PC. Trailer below.

So excited to go back to this game. Will be there on Day 1.

• Like 3

The first game on my PS4 2024 Pledge has been completed.

GI0Mk8zWoAAAEn7?format=jpg&name=large

GI0Mk88XsAAHg-r?format=jpg&name=large

I'm not really sure what to think of it. I certainly don't rate it as highly as what many other people do but I don't hate it either.

I'm never a fan of exploration or telling a story through snippets spread out here and there, with the player having to piece together what's gone on. This game leans heavily on both of these things. Despite that, I did get enjoyment from certain parts of the game, such as learning how to fly the spaceship and jet pack on the spacesuit. They are fiddly at first but work stupidly well once you get the hang of them. I also liked watching how certain planets changed as the cycle moved on, although having to hang around the Twins while the sand drained from one to another was a bit of a drag.

Had the trophies not been there to give me some guidance, then I doubt I would have bothered pushing on with the game. I prefer to be lead/have a more linear experience. It's why I don't really get on with open world games. I'm not really fussed about exploring new areas...bit like that in real life as well. I'm a very homely person. :D

I was always curious about the game and wanted to play it to see what all the fuss was about. While it certainly wasn't made for me, I can see why people who like these types of games fell in love with it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this