NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dufniall

Streaming, recording and editing video game footage

Quoting @Sméagol from the SSBU Online Thread:

@Vileplume2000, (and.. @Dcubed? who did the jackbox stream?), what are your streaming set-ups?

I've been wanting to open up a topic about this earlier, but I guess this is a good moment to do so.

Anyway currently my set-up is a desktop PC with:

• Intel Core i5
  • 16GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX1080Ti
  • An SSD for speed, and a traditional hard drive to save video files to
  • An AverMedia Live Gamer HD C985 capture card

It has plenty of power to stream PC games to Twitch and Mixer without the need of a separate dedicated streaming PC. I use OBS Studio for the capture/streaming part. It's a free piece of software but works well. I have to look into it a bit more but I believe you can even use it to do overlays etc. But since I'm not doing any webcamming along the way I haven't really used that feature. To be honest I haven't even talked during a stream yet, but maybe I will start doing that in the future. Don't feel the need to show my face alongside it though. :P

With the AverMedia that I recently got (pretty cheap secondhand) I can now also capture or stream Switch games (or any other device that has HDMI). I did a few captures already and yesterday I streamed our Smash session. For streaming again I use OBS, and for capturing I use AverMedia's own software. The limitation to my capture card is that it is capped at either Full HD at 30 frames or 720p at 60 frames. But I didn't want to invest in a more expensive card yet as I don't know if I want to do a lot with streaming/capturing. So for testing the waters it is actually working great. Plus it comes with a big red button that you can smack to start streaming. Not that useful, but satisfying to use haha.

The other limitation is that everything is in my desktop PC (the capture card is an internal one as well), so I cannot capture my casual couch games. I have to crawl behind my PC monitor to get it all going. With a laptop+external capture card I would be a lot more flexible. But I'm a traditional guy and I like my PC's big, bulky and upgradeable. :P

Curious to hear other people's setup, and if there are streamers among us. I'm just going to quote @LazyBoyas I know he recently got a capture card, and @GenericApersonbecause I've seen his videos of Metroid Prime 2 and I'm curious how he captures and edits his videos.

Finally: https://www.twitch.tv/dufniall046 Like, comment and subscribe! :p

• Thanks 3

I have been using an Elgato Capture Card to record game footage ever since obtaining it from a friend well over a year ago which lines up with my channel starting to upload video game footage that isn't PS4 Share. Depending on the console used I use an HDMI cable connection or a Audio Video cable converter if the console is PS2/Gamecube/Wii. Right now since the Prime Trilogy is the Wii U downloaded version I am running the HDMI Connection. Elgato's Game Capture HD software helps me record my TV screen and the distance between my laptop and my TV makes this very doable.

Since episode 2 I have also been using a Kotion Each headset for recording purposes. That is where the fanciness ends though because for editing I'm still on the bare bones Windows Movie Maker. If you can afford different editing software that allows you to overlay images onto video and overlay several different things at once then go for it, anything is better than Movie Maker but actual proper editing software costs a lot of money so I'm kind of stuck with it.

• Thanks 3

I have an Elgato HD60 that I've used for all of my captures.  Works a treat, the capture quality is superb and the portablity/flexibility that it offers as an external capture device is really valuable (being able to quickly move it between PCs/Laptops without hassle has really saved me in many a pinch!).

I typically use the Elgato software for video capture and OBS for livestreaming.

As an added bonus, I have a spare hacked New3DS that I can use to stream video from; meaning that I can actually capture/stream 3DS games! (Super bonus points in that I can actually hook up an Xbox controller or a GCN controller to the 3DS at the same time!).  My GCN also has a GCN Eon HD HDMI adapter, which allows me to connect it to my 4K TV and the Elgato (which also allows me to capture GB/GBC/GBA games too via the Gameboy Player/Gameboy Interface).  N64 captures are also possible, since my AV Receiver can accept and transcode a composite video signal into HDMI (the quality isn't great, but then again... it's the N64! Short of bothering with an Ultra HDMI mod, which I am not willing to bother with; as my living room setup wouldn't really allow for it anyway, it's the best you're realistically gonna get anyway).  Otherwise? Everything else connects via HDMI; including my Super NT.

For the editing side? I'm lucky enough to have access to the full Adobe suite thanks to my brother (So full fat Adobe Aftereffects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Premiere Pro).

I do most of my captures using my living room Alienware Alpha small formfactor PC, with the Elgato connected to a HDMI splitter coming out of my AV Receiver (I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control it all - thankfully the Elgato software is actually compatible with the remote control!); but for those times where my living room is busy and I can't do a capture there? I can jury rig up a ghetto setup using my laptop and the Elgato.

If I'm doing a proper stream, I have a blue yeti microphone; if I'm just doing recording or am just messing around? I use my PS3's Playstation Eye for audio & camera capture (it's a surprisingly decent little multi-directional mic! Plus I can just hook it back up to the PS3 whenever I feel like playing HOTD4)

Editing is done on a PC with a Ryzen 1700x, GTX1060 & 32GB RAM.  The editing software is installed to an SSD, the videos are stored on HDD.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I have an Elgato HD60 that I've used for all of my captures.  Works a treat, the capture quality is superb and the portablity/flexibility that it offers as an external capture device is really valuable (being able to quickly move it between PCs/Laptops without hassle has really saved me in many a pinch!).

For the editing side? I'm lucky enough to have access to the full Adobe suite thanks to my brother (So full fat Adobe Aftereffects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Premiere Pro).

I do most of my captures using my living room Alienware Alpha small formfactor PC, with the Elgato connected to a HDMI splitter coming out of my AV Receiver (I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control it all - thankfully the Elgato software is actually compatible with the remote control!); but for those times where my living room is busy and I can't do a capture there? I can jury rig up a ghetto setup using my laptop and the Elgato.

Editing is done on a PC with a Ryzen 1700x, GTX1060 & 32GB RAM.  The editing software is installed to an SSD, the videos are stored on HDD.

Dcubed = Jackie Chan

Me = Chris Tucker

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 17-1-2020 at 11:59 AM, GenericAperson said:

Since episode 2 I have also been using a Kotion Each headset for recording purposes. That is where the fanciness ends though because for editing I'm still on the bare bones Windows Movie Maker. If you can afford different editing software that allows you to overlay images onto video and overlay several different things at once then go for it, anything is better than Movie Maker but actual proper editing software costs a lot of money so I'm kind of stuck with it.

I haven't really edited game footage, but I used OpenShot for a music video and for putting together the N-E Café to go on YouTube. It may not be very extensive compared to the bigger paid programs, but you can easily have different tracks on top of each other to do overlays. It's free and open source, so maybe there are even more functions available as plugins.

On 17-1-2020 at 8:22 PM, Dcubed said:

As an added bonus, I have a spare hacked New3DS that I can use to stream video from; meaning that I can actually capture/stream 3DS games! (Super bonus points in that I can actually hook up an Xbox controller or a GCN controller to the 3DS at the same time!).

Haha man, that thing sounds awesome! Is it purely a software hack or is it hardware modified? Would love to see the thing and how it works.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Haha man, that thing sounds awesome! Is it purely a software hack or is it hardware modified? Would love to see the thing and how it works.

Pure software.  You basically turn on video streaming and input re-direction on the 3DS and then there's a piece of software that you run on a PC that accepts & displays the video stream, and also sends button & touch screen inputs back to the 3DS (effectively allowing you to use any controller you want with the 3DS).

Works surprisingly well; especially considering that the New3DS (doesn't work on old 3DS models) was never designed to do video recording/streaming! And it doesn't affect the performance of the games themselves in any way whatsoever.

Video quality is dependent on the quality of your WiFi connection, but you can expect a pretty solid 30FPS (for the top screen at least) and the quality is pretty good all around; it's also limited to native 3DS/VC titles only.  As soon as you put the system into DS/GBA mode? It stops working.

There are hardware mods you can do that offer better quality and 60FPS capture, but the equipment needed is super expensive, no-longer in production and very difficult to get up and running, so I'm happy with this :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this