NEurope
drahkon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX

23 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Everything is infinite. There's always a way to get stuff like Gummies and Iron and Life Seeds and stuff. I encourage using them as much as you like.

@drahkon, it's indeed possible to max out the stats of a Pokémon. 500 is the amount HP caps at and 255 is the cap for all the other stats.

The great thing about PMD is that almost every Pokémon can perform well if you build them up. (Well, except Magikarp, it's movepool is too crap to salvage. But at least you can evolve it.)

There are, in my opinion, three Pokémon that I know are in this game that really shine with the mechanics here.

Kecleon is really hard to recruit, arguably so hard that by the time you do get one, you probably don't need it. It's an utter monster with absurdly high stats that make legendary Pokémon look like a complete joke.

I mentioned Smeargle (Farbeagle in German) before, because it can learn any move in the game. It's super flexible and even has a great ability in Own Tempo, which prevents Confusion. The only downside is that it's stats are kinda rubbish, but that can be fixed with stat boosting items.

Shedinja (Ninjatom) is the ultimate tank, thanks to it's ridiculous ability, Wonder Guard, which nullifies any attack that isn't super effective. It can still get Status conditions, mind. It gets a room clearing move in Ominous Wind, as well as Fury Swipes, so that's a decent movepool. The only problem is it's HP, which is astoundingly low. You need to really pump it full of Sitrus Berries and Life Seeds to get the most out of it.

Kecleon is literally the very last Pokemon in the game you recruit though.  It's basically just for bragging rights at that point, but yeah; it's the single best Pokemon in the entire series (and it's basically a running gag throughout the whole series; as Kecleon is pretty much absolute trash in the mainline games).

Decided to put my focus on making Smeargle my first fully upgraded Pokémon. Put a lot of items into Larvitar/Pupitar before, though, so I need more power ups :D 

Anyway, is it possible to increase the Accuracy of a move to "sure hit" with Accuracy Ups?
Edit: Apparently it is not :D 

Edited by drahkon

Made some progress.

Spoiler

Recruited Kyogre.

Man...All-Protect-Orbs are op as fuck :D 

New dungeon has been unlocked. Let's see whether it'll wreck me :p 

27 hours in now, still can't stop playing.

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

27 hours in now, still can't stop playing.

Now I can and I have.

30 hours of playtime and I've realized that I won't get anymore out of it. I looked up what there is left to do and it's pretty much what I've been doing the entire game, i.e. go through a dungeon and recruit the Pokémon at the end. 
I've run through a 99-floor dungeon and it was fun until floor 50. 

There's no chance that I'll keep enjoying this for longer.

Great game. Lovely entry point for the Mystery Dungeon series, I reckon. But it's time to move on :) 

Thanks @Glen-i and @Dcubed for being so helpful. :peace: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, drahkon said:

Now I can and I have.

30 hours of playtime and I've realized that I won't get anymore out of it. I looked up what there is left to do and it's pretty much what I've been doing the entire game, i.e. go through a dungeon and recruit the Pokémon at the end. 
I've run through a 99-floor dungeon and it was fun until floor 50. 

There's no chance that I'll keep enjoying this for longer.

Great game. Lovely entry point for the Mystery Dungeon series, I reckon. But it's time to move on :) 

Thanks @Glen-i and @Dcubed for being so helpful. :peace: 

Fair enough, that said, there is one particular dungeon in the post game that has some plot tied to it. But I'll leave it at that.

Phew, first 99 floor Dungeon done.

Spoiler

99 floors and Mew didn't even show up once... I don't think that's ever happened to me before. Still, I'll have to go back if I want the Regis, so hopefully it makes an appearance there.

Eff those Shiny Dittos though. I don't need another Marowak with twice my stats wrecking my team with Bonemerang. That's MY thing!

I managed to recruit a Shiny Ambipom yesterday. Once you get a Friend Bow, it's surprisingly simple to do so.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 

Rescue Team DX 

content-2-36180-pokemonmysterydungeonrescueteamdxsidebox.jpg

It's the N-Europe Review! A review that's actually played it for almost 70 hours before giving a verdict.

You won't get that anywhere else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

After playing through all the dark and spooky games during the month of October, I decided to fire this up again. I've not really played it since 2020 and I never did see the credits. I think it was around the Mt. Thunder mark that I ended up stop playing the game. I was on and off it over the weekend and yesterday I got myself to Magma Cavern. Just like when I first bought the game, I spent a lot of time just doing quests and helping out random people. I done all of this whilst trying to progress the story a little more. 

I will say that levelling up my team seems to have slowed to a crawl now. Pikachu, Charmander and Magnemite ( it has the special ability that makes it easier for Pokemon to join your team) are all around the 28-30 mark but I've read your team should be in the mid 30's level before tackling the Magma Cavern. I've got a fair few tickets saved up for the training and so I could use them but I'm still reluctant to use such items until I've found a decent way of farming them. 

I am contemplating dropping my Magnemite for a water based Pokemon. Seeing that the dungeon I'm about to tackle is fire based I should probably change my types. Problem is though that I do enjoy rocking a team that allows for Pokemon to easily join them. I suppose I could play around with the Gummis and try and get a special ability on to a water Pokemon. Saying that, I think the only water one I have at the moment is Poliwag.

I was doing a run through a previously completed dungeon and came across a shiny Dragonite. I was gutted that it never joined the team but seeing as I have yet to get the special scarf that increases the chances of a shiny joining, I can't be too surprised that it sodded off. 

So, yeah, I've had an enjoyable time with the game over the weekend and hopefully I will get to see the credits roll before the month is over.

• Thanks 1

I've still not tackled the next dungeon yet. I've been doing a few requests and levelling up a little more. I've managed to get Pikachu and Charmander to the mid 30 levels and Poliwag is not too far behind. I may attempt a run at it tonight to see how well I get on. I did use several training tickets to help speed up the process but I'm still on 44 bronze, 14 silver and 7 gold and so figured I may as well spend a few of them. 

I was scouting about to see which were some of the best Pokemon to use and a few places had Absol and Heracross down. I've always loved Absol's design and so it things go wrong with Poliwag then I will switch it up and try Absol instead. Apparently it's also a strong Pokemon top use in the post-game but I'm not sure if I will continue playing once the credits roll.

I completely forgot that dismissing Pokemon at the end of a run nets you with gold. I've just been hoarding them for no reason at all. I was wondering why I was struggling to make any money in the game. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was scouting about to see which were some of the best Pokemon to use and a few places had Absol and Heracross down. I've always loved Absol's design and so it things go wrong with Poliwag then I will switch it up and try Absol instead. Apparently it's also a strong Pokemon top use in the post-game but I'm not sure if I will continue playing once the credits roll.

I'm amazed you didn't just use the Absol you already have. No matter what two starting Pokémon you choose, Absol fills a typing slot none of them can hit, it's got a great ability and has moves like Quick Attack for backup shenanigans.

It's also stupid useful in the dungeon after that fire dungeon you mentioned, there's Ghost Pokémon there and having a Dark type is helpful.

• Thanks 1

With Pokemon Violet done and dusted, it was back on this to complete another Pokemon adventure. I wanted it done before the end of the month and so I cracked on and finally got to see the ending and credits.

Spoiler

FimLdmkaEAAIxUY?format=jpg&name=large

FimLdmKacAIbm3g?format=jpg&name=large

FimLdmJaAAInYjL?format=jpg&name=large

FimLdmpaEAEa0WW?format=jpg&name=large

FimLtEsaAAAaSel?format=jpg&name=large

FimLtEkaEAAs7jI?format=jpg&name=large

FimLtEgaAAEpSbo?format=jpg&name=large

FimLtDzakAEZWZ4?format=jpg&name=large

The final dungeon was a bit of a slog and I was happy to see the statue/checkpoint when it popped up. Can you not recruit any Pokemon in that dungeon? I went through all the floors without getting a single one to join my team. The last boss hit pretty hard but I just figured I could move Pikachu out of range and then spam Discharge from safety. Charmander stood back whilst firing fireballs and Absol got in close to do some big damage.

Decent game but I have no desire to play any of the post game material. The game can be a bit of a slog and very grindy. I usually loving grinding me some levels but because of the random nature of the levels and recruitment, not to mention the time it takes to level up, the grind wasn't really that fun in this game. The game is too much of a rogue type for me to fully enjoy. I love the art style used but it's not enough for me to heap a large amount of praise on the game.

I dabbled with one of the 3DS entries of the series but never finished it and so I'm glad I was able to power through and see the ending for this one. Having now completed a PMD game, I can safely say I don't think the series is for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game can be a bit of a slog and very grindy. I usually loving grinding me some levels but because of the random nature of the levels and recruitment, not to mention the time it takes to level up, the grind wasn't really that fun in this game.

Fair point. This and the previous game really discourages relying on grinding. Level ups aren't the most effective way of getting stronger (Protein and the like is better at that). Item management and careful navigation get you farther then grinding.

I've always maintained that this series is not gonna appeal to everyone. But the somewhat more difficult gameplay and surprisingly decent plots fill a nice gap that other Pokémon games don't hit.

Speaking of plot... Seeing as you're not planning on tackling the post game stuff, I'm curious if you figured out something.

Spoiler

Do you have an idea on who the actual human is that was mentioned in that Ninetales legend? You remember, the one you had to go on the run for?

There are a few clues in the main plot.

26 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Massive spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Do you have an idea on who the actual human is that was mentioned in that Ninetales legend? You remember, the one you had to go on the run for?

There are a few clues in the main plot.

Seeing as I played this over the course of a couple of years, I remember very little of the plot. :laughing: It didn't exactly grab me. 

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Seeing as I played this over the course of a couple of years, I remember very little of the plot. :laughing: It didn't exactly grab me. 

Had a feeling that would be the case. Oh well.

It's the weakest plot of the four games, honestly. Still better then almost every mainline game.