NEurope
drahkon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Are you talking about the online rescues? What exactly are they for?

If you get knocked out, you can choose to have someone else rescue you so you don't lose all your stuff.

If you go into the Pelipper Post Office and choose "Help a Friend" you can see a separate bulletin board for all the people who are waiting to be rescued. They function similarly to jobs. You go to the place they fainted, try to make it to where they fainted and revive them.

Pull it off and that person can carry on with their stuff intact.

If you can't get online for whatever reason, you can use a password system instead to do the same thing.

While I was waiting for my rescue, I sent out other Pokémon to rescue other players and got some rank points and pretty great items for doing so. I did two dungeon runs and when I checked back, someone had rescued me.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Just defeated Zapdos for the first time.

7 hours in, here are my thoughts:

• the missing HP par/info isn't really an issue; it would be nice to have all the info, but the game works just fine without it
  • seems like items/item management is what the game is all about
  • the RNG involved in acquiring new Pokémon is quite annoying already
  • I'm not very far in but so far the game is quite easy, especially because I figured out early that items are apparently the most important aspect of the game
  • the game's absolutely gorgeous

Anyway. Just woke up. Gonna make some coffee and then it's time to play :D 

• Like 2

Picked the game up this morning and have played it for an hour or so. I carried my save over from the demo which means Team Rocket featuring Pikachu and Charmander are back in action! :D 

I've not progressed the story any further. I keep doing odd jobs for random Pokemon. I assume these are a constant stream of side quests that never stop? I've just been grinding away on these since I started playing. That poor Diglett on Mt.Steel ain't ever getting rescued. :laughing:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I keep doing odd jobs for random Pokemon.

Hehe. I'm stuck at rescuing other teams :D 

Question for all the veterans: Am I understanding correctly that once a move is powered it it'll be powered up for every Pokémon that will ever learn it throughout the entire playthrough?

Edit: And I assume that your Pokémon don't evolve simply by reaching higher levels?

Edited by drahkon

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Hehe. I'm stuck at rescuing other teams :D 

Question for all the veterans: Am I understanding correctly that once a move is powered it it'll be powered up for every Pokémon that will ever learn it throughout the entire playthrough?

Edit: And I assume that your Pokémon don't evolve simply by reaching higher levels?

Yes, for example, if you level up Flamethrower, everyone will have the levelled up Flamethrower, even if they learn it later.

You have to see the credits to be able to evolve any Pokémon. Once you finish the main plot, you can evolve through levelling up (Except for Pokémon that need an item, like Pikachu and Machoke)

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've not progressed the story any further. I keep doing odd jobs for random Pokemon. I assume these are a constant stream of side quests that never stop?

Yep, they never end. I basically look through them each day and save the ones that have great stuff like Protein. Once I start running out of space, I clear out a few and then continue the story.

The last dungeon before the credits is kicking my butt though. Over 30 floors is hell with the new mechanics from Super Mystery Dungeon making life more difficult.

Only in these games can a Ledian be so dangerous...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yes, for example, if you level up Flamethrower, everyone will have the levelled up Flamethrower, even if they learn it later.

You have to see the credits to be able to evolve any Pokémon. Once you finish the main plot, you can evolve through levelling up (Except for Pokémon that need an item, like Pikachu and Machoke)

Thanks for the info :peace: 

I have to say...wasn't very fond of a certain sequence of events.

Spoiler

Having been exiled to search for the truth was a little irritating. I don't like being away from all the gameplay mechanics, i.e. everything in Town Square, etc. Wasn't that difficult but something like that always annoys me :p 

Anyway, thankfully it's over :D 

I doubt grinding rank points is worthwhile right now. I need a lot to increase my rank. I think I'll just stick with the plot for now.

Edited by drahkon

31 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Thanks for the info :peace: 

I have to say...wasn't very fond of a certain sequence of events.

Spoilers, not sure where in the story this takes place so tread with caution :p (Reveal hidden contents)

Having been exiled to search for the truth was a little irritating. I don't like being away from all the gameplay mechanics, i.e. everything in Town Square, etc. Wasn't that difficult but something like that always annoys me :p 

Anyway, thankfully it's over :D 

I doubt grinding rank points is worthwhile right now. I need a lot to increase my rank. I think I'll just stick with the plot for now.

Awww, that's my favourite bit.

Spoiler

I like how it throws you out of your comfort zone, leaving you with just two Pokémon and whatever items you have and find along the way.

Although, those side paths are basically there to help you replenish items so you're not completely screwed.

You can also still rescue other player's teams via the main menu, so you can never be totally screwed.

Also, that Gengar effectively tried to get everyone to murder you, which is surprisingly grim for a Pokémon game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Awww, that's my favourite bit.

Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

I like how it throws you out of your comfort zone, leaving you with just two Pokémon and whatever items you have and find along the way.

Although, those side paths are basically there to help you replenish items so you're not completely screwed.

You can also still rescue other player's teams via the main menu, so you can never be totally screwed.

Also, that Gengar effectively tried to get everyone to murder you, which is surprisingly grim for a Pokémon game.

I liked it for the story, but I'm not fond of the way the game was handled during that time. I didn't have any difficulties, though, so not a huge deal. ::shrug:

Anyway, can't stop playing, need help.

I would assume that I've reached the final dungeon of the main story.

Spoiler

Just unlocked Sky Tower and with the way the plot moved forward it makes sense for it to be the last challenge before post game :D 

The previous dungeon was quite easy. One Pokémon that I've never seen before (some kind of fire snail) had a mean AoE attack, other than that it was not difficult at all.

My team has been MachopPsyduck and Houndoom for the majority of the game. The ability Steamroll seems a little OP. Haven't had to change Pokémon since I've acquired Houndoom ::shrug: 

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

My team has been MachopPsyduck and Houndoom for the majority of the game. The ability Steamroll seems a little OP. Haven't had to change Pokémon since I've acquired Houndoom ::shrug: 

What level are you? All that grinding might have trivialised the plot dungeons a bit. I was level 35 when the credits rolled, 7 levels higher than than I would be in the original game and I wasted at least 10 Reviver Seeds on that final boss.

Then again, Steamroll is quite an awesome rare quality. Being able to ignore resistances is a big deal. You lucked out. Would've been helpful, seeing as I couldn't use Bonemerang a lot because of all the flying types and Levitaters.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

What level are you? All that grinding might have trivialised the plot dungeons a bit. I was level 35 when the credits rolled

Machop and Psyduck are at 28, Houndoom is at 30.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You lucked out.

Way to downplay my amazing skillz :p 

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Machop and Psyduck are at 28, Houndoom is at 30.

Way to downplay my amazing skillz :p 

Yeah, Steamroll defo helped. I was stuck with an ability that restored my PP sometimes whenever I ran out and that one where your Attack goes up whenever you get hit.

Though, to be fair. I never brought along any Pokémon with me when I recruited them, I purposely didn't choose to bring 6 or more Pokémon to a boss. Wanted to do it proper old school. 3 Pokémon only. That probably made things more difficult for me. Having a Conga line of Pokémon is pretty funny, but those bosses weren't designed to have that many Pokémon ganging up on them.

Thanks, that knowledge will be useful when I write the review.

Edited by Glen-i

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

3 Pokémon only.

Yeah, I usually recruited 2 or 3 Pokémon, but  80% of the bosses wrecked them anyway and I didn't wanna waste Revive Seeds on them ::shrug: 

Having a hard time recruiting Pokémon anyway, because I keep forgetting that the leader has to deal the killing blow...

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Having a hard time recruiting Pokémon anyway, because I keep forgetting that the leader has to deal the killing blow...

The later dungeons have a lower recruitment rate due to there being more evolved Pokémon. Which makes sense.

I think I mentioned this before, but the higher your level, the easier it gets to recruit Pokémon.

Except Kecleon, who even after boosting that rate as high as it can go, still has a 0.01% chance of recruitment in the original game.

• Thanks 1

I've just started playing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX and it's safe to say that I'll be playing it from now until whenever... :D

The adventures of Sam the Bulbasaur and Reginald the Totodile have officially begun! :)

Now I've just got to figure out what to call my rescue squad... :confused:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

Slay the Spire.

OH MY GOD, YOU STARTED THIS GAME BEFORE PLAYING SLAY THE SPIRE?

Wait, what?

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I've just started playing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX and it's safe to say that I'll be playing it from now until whenever... :D

The adventures of Sam the Bulbasaur and Reginald the Totodile have officially begun! :)

You're free to change the name of your team through the main menu, so don't worry too much about it.

It seems Cubones don't get the choice to evolve into Alolan Marowak, that makes me sad. Fire Dancing Hawaiian Marowak is way cooler than boring regular Marowak.

Marowak does have a power jog as it's run animation though, so it's not all bad.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Slay the Spire.

Not enough characters...

Thanks for the suggestion though. :D

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You're free to change the name of your team through the main menu, so don't worry too much about it.

In that case, I'll just call it Anything.

Although I wanted something with a pun...

N-Ething

Nailed it! :cool:

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

In that case, I'll just call it Anything.

Although I wanted something with a pun...

N-Ething

giphy.gif

@Glen-i What should I know about evolutions? I haven't started the final dungeon, but I'm already interested in the mechanics. Does evolving a Pokémon come with increased stats? 

I just got a Larvitar, one of my favourite Pokémon and I'd like to know whether I should level him up now for a while or wait and evolve him first. Would the latter method net higher stats?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

giphy.gif

@Glen-i What should I know about evolutions? I haven't started the final dungeon, but I'm already interested in the mechanics. Does evolving a Pokémon come with increased stats? 

I just got a Larvitar, one of my favourite Pokémon and I'd like to know whether I should level him up now for a while or wait and evolve him first. Would the latter method net higher stats?

No, the stats are set, so it doesn't matter when you evolve.

In general, evolving in Mystery Dungeon doesn't boost your stats that much. But most evolved Pokémon can learn better moves from TM's. Not to mention possible ability changes and type changes.

Larvitar is a weird case though. There's a decent argument to keep it as a Larvitar, because Tyranitar's ability causes a Sandstorm to happen, which can be quite unhelpful unless you build a team around it.

A team of a Rock, Ground and Steel Pokémon would work well in that case though. Not to mention any dungeons where you're only allowed one Pokémon.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

I just got to the point early on where you can go off so some mountain to rescue a Diglett? ::shrug:

*continues grinding levels in Thunderwave Cave* :D

Level 10 at the moment, might as well keep at it for a while longer. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

*continues grinding levels in Thunderwave Cave* :D

giphy.gif

Spoiler

:(

Credits have rolled.

Spoiler

:) 

It took me almost exactly 16 hours to beat the story. What a game. Great rogue-like, but a little on the easy side.

The true game begins now, however. At leats according to certain people here :p

But first: it's time for a good night's sleep. 16 hours of video gaming in two days...been a long time since I've done this :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Ending spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

:(

Credits have rolled.

Post credit ending (Reveal hidden contents)

:) 

Spoiler

It's an absolutely brutal punch to the gut. Old school Disney would be proud.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed being able to see where enemies and items are on the map, because that ain't happening no more.

I just recruited a Smeargle. AKA, the second best Pokémon in Mystery Dungeon. Have it sketch some utterly broken moves like Bonemerang, Bullet Seed and Uproar, and just to add some overkill, sketch Transform and get 20 free PP by transforming into a teammate on each floor.

Then again, that transform trick might not work in this game... Don't see why not, it worked in Super MD.

• Like 1

Well, after nearly four hours on the clock, twenty-odd levels of exp and a load of items later, I think I'll call it a night now. :D

I'll rescue that Diglett tomorrow... maybe. :p

This game... it just has that 'one more go' loop which all the other titles in the series have, once it gets you, that's it then... in until the post-game. :)

It has so much charm to it as well, especially with the redone visuals; excellent stuff. :peace: