NEurope
drahkon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX

Just played the demo (never played before) and completed two dungeons. Played for about half hour, I like the art style but I found the game a little boring. xD I'll definitely try again later or tomorrow though. :)

On 1/10/2020 at 11:57 AM, RedShell said:

The game wanted me to be Squirtle but fuck no. I chose to be Pikachu, because Pikachu is the best. :heh: 

giphy.gif

I did the same. The game gave me Machop but I wasn't having that. Picked me a Pikachu and Charmander and then called my rescue team Team Rocket. :D 

• Like 2

I was told i was a Psyduck, and who am i to argue with that. Partnered with a Pikachu to form Team Yellowhammer.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

giphy.gif

I did the same. The game gave me Machop but I wasn't having that. Picked me a Pikachu and Charmander and then called my rescue team Team Rocket. :D 

I can't help but feel not having a Meowth in that team is doing it wrong.

• Haha 1

content-4-36141-pokemonmysterydungeonrescueteamdxbanner.jpg

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, new details and trailers

Nintendo sent out a Press Release with some new info on the game and two trailers which are well worth watching. :D

I particularly enjoyed the first video with the Makuhita dojo training backstory, another example of why these games are so great with the details. :peace:

Is it March yet? ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I particularly enjoyed the first video with the Makuhita dojo training backstory, another example of why these games are so great with the details. :peace:

Super Mystery Dungeon did a simlilar thing, releasing trailers going into backstories of some NPC's you never saw in game. Nice to see that continue here.

• Like 1

Who likes nerdy comparisons? I like nerdy comparisons!

pokemon-mystery-dungeon-team-dx-map-comp

That's the map of the Air Continent as it appears in each game. It's nice to see they kept the detail in the remake (even the wind lines on the top left).

And just for the sake of more comparison, here's the Air Continent as it appears in Super Mystery Dungeon.

Air_Continent.png

Spoiler

I've only just noticed that Sky Tower vanished in Super Mystery Dungeon. Hmmmm... Wonder what happened there?

• Like 1

Thanks to @Glen-i I found out that this game will be released next fucking week already...sweet Mary Jane in heaven, how is it already March?

Anyway, I'm set to buy one game out of the following in March:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Animal Crossing: New Horizons Zero Dawn
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX

To those who have played the original game(s), how much content is there? I'm ready for a huge game to dive into and all three of those seem to fit the bill. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX is currently on the top spot for "drahkon's game of March 2020" because its name is so ridiculously long it's a roguelike and as you all know I'm kind of fond of the genre. 

37 minutes ago, drahkon said:

To those who have played the original game(s), how much content is there?

I can only speak for Animal Crossing, to which the answer is... A LOT. It’ll take at least a year to “complete” but at the same time it’s probably not something you’re going to be able to play for long sessions without getting bored. I am, but I’m an Animal Crossing nut. :heh: 

Reckon Pokémon is probably your best bet.

• Thanks 1

@drahkon Animal Crossing is definitely more of a "Short play sessions every day" thing for most players. It lasts a very long time, but there's no concrete goal. Which could be a good or bad thing depending on your viewpoint.

The original Rescue Team had the shortest main plot of the 4 PMD games. You'll see the credits in less than 20 hours. If you're the kind of person who plays a game, watches the credits roll and then immediately moves on to the next title, then you're not gonna get as much value as the other two games you listed.

But Rescue Team has a surprisingly large amount of post-game content. Really long and difficult dungeons are there to explore which can be very unforgiving. Some of them can take you just short of 2 hours to get to the end, and if your party faints, you're starting from the beginning. There's some plot to it too, which is nice. Decent plot too, which is unusual for a Pokémon game.

That said, remember in the demo, there are a bunch of question marks on the screen that shows your file? Each one marks some kind of milestone. There were 12 in the original game, while this Switch version seems to have 18. So there's almost definitely new content for this remake. So it'll no doubt be longer as a result.

As long as you don't drop the game once you see the credits, Rescue Team DX will last you quite a while. Especially if you aim to complete every dungeon. Which is approaching impossible, some of those post-credits dungeons will curb stomp you hard.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

As long as you don't drop the game once you see the credits, Rescue Team DX will last you quite a while. Especially if you aim to complete every dungeon. Which is approaching impossible, some of those post-credits dungeons will curb stomp you hard.

I sincerely hope that quote makes it into the N-Europe review. :D (it might even have to be the pull quote)

Really looking forward to this game. :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RedShell said:

I can only speak for Animal Crossing, to which the answer is... A LOT. It’ll take at least a year to “complete” but at the same time it’s probably not something you’re going to be able to play for long sessions without getting bored.

Hm, I think I'm looking for something more suited to longer sessions so I guess Animal Crossing isn't for me right now. I may eventually get it, but probably not in the near future.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. Cheers :peace: 

• Like 1

In preparation of its release I decided to redownload the demo and start again.

On 10.1.2020 at 10:04 AM, drahkon said:

The game wanted me to be Mudkip but fuck no. I chose to be Squirtle, because Squirtle is best.

For the second time Mudkip was the choice for me :hmm: 
This time I went with Machop, though. Such a cute fella. My partner is Psyduck because he's weird :D 

Think I'll keep that save for the full release. 

Will use the Makuhita Dojo to familiarize myself with the mechanics again and then it's time to wait...not sure if I'll be able to get the game on Friday. Might have to wait two weeks :( 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, drahkon said:

not sure if I'll be able to get the game on Friday. Might have to wait two weeks :( 

YES. Game price has been reduced to 48€ (from 60€) at a local store. Just pre-ordered it :) 

Gonna pick it up after work, go home, lock myself up and dig deep :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see all this interest and love for this game.  It’s a great series and this remake looks fantastic! You guys picked the perfect place to start!

Eurogamer's review has me a little worried...

There's no way to know your enemy's stats - even their current or maximum HP - as far as I can tell, which makes advanced planning and strategy almost impossible. And the constant depositing and withdrawing of items and money combined with the blind chance of which Pokémon might want to join you - and which camps you need to unlock in advance for them to do so - inevitably leads to frustration. It's no fun to find a cool, rare Pokémon that wants to join you, but have no way for them to do so because you didn't spend your paltry coin on the right one of several dozen camps ahead of time.

The second bolded part is not that of a big deal for me as I love grinding in games. Still, it seems a little stupid to do it that way.
The first one, however, is a deal breaker, to be honest...this is a strategy game, as far as I can tell, but not having all the pieces of the puzzle at your disposal is bad. Can anybody chime in and confirm that that's the case?

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Doesn't sound that great, to be honest. :( I was thinking of picking it up but I may see what other outlets think of the game before splashing the cash. 

The thing is, I'm not really bothered by all the other criticism the game receives. The fact that enemy stats are nowhere to be found is, however, pretty stupid for a strategy game. It's not a problem in the demo because for the tutorial you don't need it, but in boss fights or more difficult dungeons it will definitely be a huge issue...

Right now I'm ready to cancel the pre-order.

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Right now I'm ready to cancel the pre-order.

My Wii U is unpacked. I could just go and buy the original GBA version on the eShop for a fraction of the price of this new version. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

I'm still all-in for this, I believe in the game and I can't wait to see our review for this. :D

Also my copy just shipped, so I couldn't cancel it in time. :p

(just kidding, I wouldn't have cancelled it anyway)

Asking over on reddit made me a little more optimistic. People say that you'll get a feel for enemies' stats after a while.

We'll see how it'll play out. If I don't enjoy it I'll resell the game. Given the amount of money you'll get from selling used Switch games I wouldn't lose a lot of cash anyway :D

Hype is back, bitches.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

To be fair, these games never seem to review well but those who do enjoy the series seem to really love them.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Asking over on reddit made me a little more optimistic. People say that you'll get a feel for enemies' stats after a while.

We'll see how it'll play out. If I don't enjoy it I'll resell the game. Given the amount of money you'll get from selling used Switch games I wouldn't lose a lot of cash anyway :D

Hype is back, bitches.

You do indeed get a feel for the enemies' stats and abilities over time.  A basic knowledge of Pokemon will also give you an solid idea of what enemies to look out and fear for as well.

It's a total non-issue.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's a total non-issue.

That's for me to decide :p 

PMD game reviews badly with critics, also, Squirtle is wet.

Not knowing enemy stats is such a weird criticism though, loads of RPG's do it. Anyway, this game tells you the enemy Pokémon type and what ability they have so you're not completely blind. Main Pokémon games only give you a vague HP bar to go off of, yet it doesn't get flak for that. Very strange.

For me, the entire point is that you go into a new dungeon, scout it out and figure out which Pokémon are going to give you a hard time and prepare for it.

The random chance recruiting has been a part of almost every PMD game, except Super. So it's not surprising it's in a remake of the original game, but there's ways to tip the odds in your favour.

The higher your level, the more likely you'll recruit a Pokémon, there's also an equippable item that raises the chance. I wouldn't be surprised if there's one of those new rare qualities that also increases the chance.

• Like 1