NEurope
drahkon

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX

Always wanted to give the Mystery Dungeon games a try, because, you know...ROGUELIKE. Seems like a good way to start.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I've always got the sprites to return to on DS, and it looks like they've squeezed some new stuff in besides the 3D models, but hey, at least I already know I love the story. 

Not sure what Game Freak/TPC should be more embarrassed about... the title "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX" or the game's visuals. In 2019. Probably the latter. How are indie studios of 3 or 4 people making 10x better looking and sounding games than the publisher of one of the biggest IPs in the world? 

It looks so pretty!!! I'm actually really happy they went in this direction with the art!

• Like 2

giphy.gif

3 years in advance too!

Looks absolutely bloody amazing!! Love, love, LOVE the art style! :D 

Will be interesting to see how they expand on the original game; it's pretty simplistic and limited compared to the later games...

Let's Go was the FR/LG remake and SPMD heavily hinted that a R/B Rescue Team remake was to come.  Knew that R/B Rescue Team was gonna be the next remake!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gave the demo a go.

First of all: The game is gorgeous. The artstyle fits the tone perfectly and it's just beautiful to look at. :) 

Gameplay is relatively simple, so far. I guess it'll ramp up later? Seems right up my alley, though. Let's see when the demo will stop. This might actually be the first full price game I'll get for the Switch :o 

Might try this demo out later if i have time. Always wondered what the fuss was about these games.

Oh wow!

1578582717584.jpg

That’s a HUGE increase in the number of story chapters! The original game only had 12 (including post-game), but there’s a whole whopping 18 this time! (With the potential for more appearing later!)

Looks like they’ve hugely expanded on the original game! :D 

• Thanks 1

Just found out, I can't even be mad that they're blatantly selling old Pokémon in Sword/Shield now. Nothing gonna bring me down today!

834.jpg

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Not sure what Game Freak/TPC should be more embarrassed about... the title "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX" or the game's visuals. In 2019. Probably the latter. How are indie studios of 3 or 4 people making 10x better looking and sounding games than the publisher of one of the biggest IPs in the world? 

First of all, not Game Freak, Spike Chunsoft. Game Freak almost never have anything to do with spin-off's. And secondly, nah, looks gorgeous to me, really nice artistic style with the scenery.

I actually think it looks nicer than Sword/Shield, that shading is bloody delicious.

EN2KnN5U0AIzNZF?format=jpg&name=large

Holy crap! That art is sexy! It's gonna be hard to go digital!

I chuckled when I saw playable Lucario. Which only the more hardcore PMD fans would get.

14 hours ago, drahkon said:

Gameplay is relatively simple, so far. I guess it'll ramp up later? Seems right up my alley, though. Let's see when the demo will stop. This might actually be the first full price game I'll get for the Switch :o 

PMD is a lot more forgiving than most roguelikes. In the original game, you lose all your items and money you're carrying and have to start the dungeon again, but you keep any experience points.

That said, even the easiest PMD is harder than any mainline Pokémon game. Rescue Team is probably 3rd out of 4 on the difficulty scale, but you'll probably die a bit before seeing the credits.

And then there's the post-game stuff. Expect 99 floors of pure hell just to get a legendary Pokémon. And for the absolute sadist, there's the dungeons that temporarily put you back to Level 5 when you enter.

I expect there to be some QoL improvements as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the whole "Finish the dungeon to keep any recruited Pokémon"

Anyway, hope Cubone is still available as a main character choice. Cubone is dope. And I doubly hope I can choose to evolve it into Alolan Marowak now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, hope Cubone is still available as a main character choice. Cubone is dope. And I doubly hope I can choose to evolve it into Alolan Marowak now.

The demo asks you a few questions when you first boot it up (you probably know this from the original) and according to my answers, CUBONE is my Pokemon.

He's in the game :D

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

The demo asks you a few questions when you first boot it up (you probably know this from the original) and according to my answers, CUBONE is my Pokemon.

He's in the game :D

Yesssssss! Second Boss is hilariously easy with him.

Fourth Boss is an utter nightmare though.

Anyway...

wqRuAiu.png

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

you'll probably die a bit before seeing the credits.

Untitled-5.jpg

Anyway, reached the end of the demo. I'm sold. :peace:

The game wanted me to be Mudkip but fuck no. I chose to be Squirtle, because Squirtle is best.

• Like 1

The best thing about that is it's not even a new feature. Super Mystery Dungeon had it.

It wasn't called that though, which makes it even better.

I hope they're tracking it and every day the artist gets an update saying "x people have admired your illustration today".  That's what the world needs.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

The game wanted me to be Mudkip but fuck no. I chose to be Squirtle, because Squirtle is best.

The game wanted me to be Squirtle but fuck no. I chose to be Pikachu, because Pikachu is the best. :heh: 

Haven’t played it that much yet, but what I’ve seen so far has been pretty entertaining. My team is Pikachu and Meowth. :love: Not too sure about how it plays though, movement seems very odd. I assume it’s done to retain the feel of the original, but I get the feeling this could work better without grid based navigation. :hmm: Also, is your character supposed to get kind of stuck whenever an enemy Pokémon is nearby? And what’s up with the running, it seems to go into fast forward for a while before you suddenly get momentarily stuck again. ::shrug:

Anyway, I think I like it, but the controls will really need to click a lot more if I’m to check out the full game.

Just now, RedShell said:

The game wanted me to be Squirtle but fuck no. I chose to be Pikachu, because Pikachu is the best. :heh: 

111.gif

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

I get the feeling this could work better without grid based navigation. :hmm:

Nah, it's a very tactical game. You need grid based navigation to plan your moves better. It wouldn't work as good as it does, if you and enemies could move freely.

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

And what’s up with the running, it seems to go into fast forward for a while before you suddenly get momentarily stuck again. ::shrug:

As soon as you "enter" a "room" (i.e. run out of a corridor) you stop, so you don't accidentally walk into a sleeping enemy, for example. That way. you get time to plan ahead.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Nah, it's a very tactical game. You need grid based navigation to plan your moves better. It wouldn't work as good as it does, if you and enemies could move freely.

As soon as you "enter" a "room" (i.e. run out of a corridor) you stop, so you don't accidentally walk into a sleeping enemy, for example. That way. you get time to plan ahead.

Ah, I see. 

I’ve clearly been going about it all wrong then, I think I was expecting Pokémon Rumble style gameplay or something. :D Will see if I can be tactical (probably not :p) next time I play it.

29 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Congratulations, you've activated Easy Difficulty. Pikachu has almost always been the most overpowered main Pokémon in Mystery Dungeon, purely because Discharge is broken for this kind of game.

Anyway, went with the same team I did for the original version. Cubone and Treecko.

Will give impressions later.

But I have noticed that after the second dungeon, there's a new set of tutorial missions that teach you the basic manueveres you need for this game. Which is great.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Demo all done. Mt. Steel happens sooner than I remember.

• Holy hell, this game is gorgeous! Just goes to show a good art style can make up for any graphical shortcomings.
  • I appreciate the Diglett hole warp from the base to the Post Office, that's very welcome.
  • I expected as much, but the mechanics are heavily based off of Super Mystery Dungeon. The increased hunger speed, move levelling up, nerfed items and no basic attack, as well as the pushing mechanic. That might make the game a bit harder in some aspects. But the toolbox is larger than the original's 20 item limit.
  • Makuhita Dojo is nothing like the original version. Instead, it seems to serve as some way to quickly grind some levels. I recommend not doing it to help preserve the challenge, but whatever, nice that it's there. It also has some tutorials on basic techniques which is long overdue for this series.
  • The remixes are proper banging! I mean, PMD always had great music, but these remixes finally give us these songs uncompromised by GBA quality sound chips. Can't wait to hear what they do with a particular dungeon song.
Spoiler

That song is almost 4 minutes long, which is bonkers for GBA games.

• Something that caught my eye on the status screen was something called "Rare Quality" No idea what it is yet, but seeing as gummis seem to have something to do with it, I'm guessing this is the replacement for IQ Skills. If I had to guess, it might be some kind of secondary ability you can give your Pokémon, excited to see what that's all about.
  • The TM's are all the ones from Sun/Moon, so even though Sword/Shield is out already, I wouldn't go expecting any Pokémon from the latest games to show up in this game.
  • No transitions in Pokémon Square is nice. Originally, the pond and dojo were on seperate screens. Loading times are somehow quicker than the DS version, on Unity, no less. That's cool.

March is too far away.

• Like 1

I had barely any idea what these games were.. But with the demo out, I just gave it a try. Did the first 2 dungeons (.. Pressed L, then pressed A to attack now and then). I find this boring as fuck. Maybe I'll give a few more dungeons a try, but I doubt the gameplay is going to change in such a way that I'll actually like it.

Edited by Sméagol

38 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I had barely any idea what these games were.. But with the demo out, I just gave it a try. Did the first 2 dungeons (.. Pressed L, then pressed A to attack now and then). I find this boring as fuck. Maybe I'll give a few more dungeons a try, but I doubt the gameplay is going to change in such a way that I'll actually like it.

You're probably right then, but do keep in mind the demo consists of really easy dungeons, survival starts getting a bit trickier to pull off once traps and the like start getting introduced about a third of the way in.

Oh yeah I have no doubt it'll get (much) harder. Just doubting it'll get more fun.

Got Charmander as my choice by the way.

I got Cyndaquil. Was hoping for Totodile but in fairness Cyndaquil is probably more apt. I famously have no eyes in photos.

Played it for a little bit. It's charming.