NEurope
MindFreak

Pokémon Direct January 9th 2:30 UK Time

January 9th, at 2:30 UK (3:30 CET)

What could they possibly want to show us related to Pokémon? The third game? Old Pokémon coming to SwSh?

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 4

A new Direct is inbound, but it's a Pokémon Direct:

I'm guessing an update on Pokémon Home, and maybe one or two spin-off titles? 

• Thanks 2

Wow, this is soon. 

Pokémon Home is a lock, I agree.

I'd imagine that Detective Pikachu 2 is too, right? We haven't had an update on that for a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but scrolling through the list of Nintendo Directs, it looks like all Pokémon Directs to this point either reveal a new core series game or share new information on an upcoming core series game. This is the earliest a Pokémon Direct has taken place after the release of a core series game. Could we potentially get a Let's Go Azurill/Pichu or Diamond/Pearl remakes revealed too? I swear to Arceus, if they have the nerve to reveal a Pokémon Spear or whatever third entry nonsense this soon.. 

Maybe we're even getting the GB added to Switch Online, headlined by Red/Blue/Yellow, though them headlining it would seem on the redundant side after Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. The dream would be GBA, though, even if it's just ports in eShop as opposed to GBA Switch Online: I've had a hankering to revisit Gen III for a while now, and they never came to Virtual Console, iirc. 

Lastly: new entries (or even ports) of Mystery Dungeon or Ranger games, or an entirely new spin-off series (with a story focus and some degree of challenge) would be awesome :D 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I think remakes of Pearl and Diamond are revealed here. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. 

And then some spinoff stuff. Detective Pikachu isn't really material for a dedicated Direct like this but you never know. 

Merged the two threads (and hidden @Julius post about there being two).

I can never remember which way round it goes so I was trying to merge this one into @Vileplume2000's thread but did it the other way round. Oops!

9xnn.gif

• Haha 2

I'd be really surprised if they reveal info on either a remake or a 3rd title so soon. Sword and Shield are still selling well so there'd be a small risk of cannibalising some sales if making an announcement so soon after their release.

COME ON BLUE/RED RESCUE TEAM REMAKE!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjck2ZDCvDeambwAJLgfR

IT’S TIME!!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

IT’S TIME!!!

To be honest, I'd rather not have a remake if it means moving from sprites to 3D models. Feel like the franchise as a whole made a huuuge misstep in that transition from 2D to 3D, and, in my opinion, that's where a lot of the charm was lost. 

But ports? I'll gladly take those, and get me Explorers too while you're making your demands @Dcubed :p

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I thought we agreed on Johto dlc for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

I'd never put money against that because of just how weird Game Freak can be, but there's no business sense in doing that, so I wouldn't put any money on it, either. 

I haven't heard anything about Sword and Shield datamining, so would I be right in thinking that there haven't been any Mythical Pokémon found? Because if that's the case, then maybe some DLC/events for Sword and Shield in the guise of those activated by some of the Mystery Gift items in Gen IV could add those to the game? 

Also: is there any reason that we shouldn't be expecting a Pokken sequel at some point in the future? Because if not, now seems as good a time as any to announce one.

EDIT: answering my own question here, but I mean, maybe Smash could be a good enough reason. It wouldn't be in line with the rest of the characters that we've got so far with the Fighters Pass, but could a Gen VIII Pokémon be the fifth fighter, or part of the next Fighters Pass?

Edited by Julius

I reckon at least half of the direct will focus on that revolutionary merging of sleep and entertainment. :heh: 

• Haha 1

content-4-36103-pokemondirect09012020banner.jpg

Pokémon Direct airing on Thursday 9th January

Up on the main site, meant to post that earlier.

Anyway, N-Europe will of course be covering this so expect an article shortly after it airs. :peace:

I'd second the suggestion of Pokémon Snap 2, heck it feels like we've been campaigning for it here since the original game came out. :p

And the Switch is practically perfect for it... so expect The Pokémon Company to not do it and go some completely different route which nobody asked for. :rolleyes:

I'm going to keep my expectations as low as the catchable Pokédex in Pokémon Sword & Shield for this one... that way I might be surprised, maybe. ;)

• Like 1

I mean, this is just weird, Sword and Shield just came out, I know they aim for yearly releases, but this feels too soon somehow. I mean, Pokémon Home, Sleep and Detective Pika are what I expect. But I'm hoping for something else. Something like...

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

IT’S TIME!!!

No, that's Rescue Team, Time is in the second set of games.

14 hours ago, Julius said:

To be honest, I'd rather not have a remake if it means moving from sprites to 3D models. Feel like the franchise as a whole made a huuuge misstep in that transition from 2D to 3D, and, in my opinion, that's where a lot of the charm was lost. 

But ports? I'll gladly take those, and get me Explorers too while you're making your demands @Dcubed :p

Tell you what, you and Dcubed can make a compromise between more modern graphics and flat sprites and go Wonder Boy remake hand-drawn sprites.

wonderboythedragonstrap-b000.jpg?quality

Oh man, could you imagine? Never gonna happen though.

In all seriousness, given the sad state of Pokémon spin-offs these days, I'd consider it a miracle if any kind of Mystery Dungeon game comes out on Switch.

Port, new game, 3D models, 2D sprites, I don't care, just don't send it to mobile to die.

11 hours ago, Julius said:

EDIT: answering my own question here, but I mean, maybe Smash could be a good enough reason. It wouldn't be in line with the rest of the characters that we've got so far with the Fighters Pass, but could a Gen VIII Pokémon be the fifth fighter, or part of the next Fighters Pass?

Seeing as we now know there's more characters coming after the Fighter's Pass, I think it's more a matter of "when", not "if". Sword and Shield are one of the best-selling titles on Switch, that's some sweet DLC money from using Pokémon.

As for it being the next character? I'm not sure now. This direct has thrown my prediction all out of whack. As far as I see it...

For: This direct and the weird absence of the fifth character during Terry's demonstration.

Against: Fighter's Pass looks to focus on franchises that are new to Smash and the 5 characters in the Fighter's Pass were probably decided around the time it was announced.

It being a Gen VIII Pokémon would explain why it didn't show during Terry's demo, didn't want to reveal a new Pokémon before the game was out. Absolutely no evidence, but it would explain that.

Either way, I hope it's Toxtricity. Toxtricity is the best Gen VIII Pokémon and would fill in that Poisonous Pokémon hole well. (Yes, I know Ivysaur exists, but let's face it, Piranha Plant is more poisonous than Smash Ivysaur)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'd second the suggestion of Pokémon Snap 2, heck it feels like we've been campaigning for it here since the original game came out. :p

And the Switch is practically perfect for it... 

That's exactly what people said about the WiiU.

Edited by Glen-i

I've fallen out of love with Pokémon ages ago, so this Direct will most likely do nothing for me.

I'd be happy with another Pokémon Gold/Silver remake, though :p 

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That's exactly what people said about the WiiU.

And the DSi...

Let’s be honest though, TPC probably think it’s perfect for mobile...

• Sad 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:14 AM, drahkon said:

I've fallen out of love with Pokémon ages ago, so this Direct will most likely do nothing for me.

I'd be happy with another Pokémon Gold/Silver remake, though :p 

Pretty much how I feel. I tried to play Let's Go Pikachu, but didn't even get to the third gym before getting bored. I'll probably still watch the direct though. 

On 07/01/2020 at 4:56 PM, Dcubed said:

IT’S TIME!!!

Seems TPC agree!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stream keeps freezing for me. Like what I've seen so far. I'm fine with DLC over a third version.

Well mine during the ice area thing skipped back a bit and now at the end it finished midway through a sentence (I'm guessing to account for the lost time because of the rewind).

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Stream keeps freezing for me. Like what I've seen so far. I'm fine with DLC over a third version.

Same, had some of the DLC stuff loop over and then just had a hard cut after the end of it to the end of the stream ::shrug: messy presentation in terms of streaming (doesn't seem to be isolated), but I'm glad they they're finally taking the DLC route, and of course MD making a return is always a good thing. 

Now to figure out if there actually was anything at the end of that stream that I missed...

So old Pokémon are being added with DLC. Looks like we now know why not all Pokémon were in Sword and Shield from the start ::shrug: