NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Exercise & Fitness Thread: The Struggle Is Real

I only have experience of Garmin, which is what I and most of my running friends used. I'd be looking at the forerunner series.

• Thanks 1

I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. Its totally fine although it has a hard time measuring my pulse correctly. GPS wise and function wise, it's quite good, though. 

• Thanks 1

Ohhhh boy, I grossly underestimated what these things might cost...well, nothing I can afford these days. Carrying my phone in hand will have to suffice. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Running on softer materials is better wrt. impact, yes. Naturally. However, it's also much harder on the muscles. 

If you have periostitis or shin-splints it's also better to run in the water (just about ankle deep) for the same reason.

That makes a lot of sense. Just the thought of running on uneven concrete is making my knees and shins cry. We do a crosscountry running event at our school and I'm amazed at how resilient the people are who run it because you are pretty much running on numerous different types of surface, plus many hills...

36 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Running was great in that sense. Wherever I went I'd just pack my shoes, shorts, shirt, socks and my GPS watch. I ran wherever we were.

But it's not entirely free because I'd burn through trainers every 5-6 months or so, and I liked Nike Air Pegasus, which got more and more pricey over the years. And then you buy special running socks because you got a blister on one run. And the phone GPS tracking just doesn't cut it anymore, so you buy a garmin. And then you buy special sweat wicking shirts, or a jacket for running in the rain. And then you buy offroad shoes. And one time your hands got cold so you buy running gloves.

Trainers are expeeeeeenssiiiiive. Especially a good quality pair. I haven't bought a pair in years but I'm badly in need of new ones. Wearing the old ones out as much as I can. Seeing what some of my friends have spent on running shoes is making my wallet weep. 

13 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Ohhhh boy, I grossly underestimated what these things might cost...well, nothing I can afford these days. Carrying my phone in hand will have to suffice. :D

Could you get some sort of belt, clip or even a vest which the phone "sits" in? I'm pretty sure that I've seen solutions to this, because I would be terrified of dropping it. 

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Could you get some sort of belt, clip or even a vest which the phone "sits" in? I'm pretty sure that I've seen solutions to this, because I would be terrified of dropping it.

Yeah, I used one of those but found it to be quite uncomfortable. I did buy a running backpack recently and I'll try putting my phone in there and hope that the earphone cable is long enough. I really should get a pair of Bluetooth earphones... :D

I have a pair of tights where the pockets run down along my thigh on the outside with plenty of room for a phone and without it bouncing. Something like that could perhaps be an idea? 

• Thanks 1

Things have slowed a bit for me. I'm still walking 4-6km every day and eating well (despite the odd couple of slips) and I'm currently down 16lbs. Considering I'd lost 13 about a month ago, I think I need to change up my regime a bit. Considering getting a bike, though there isn't much point with only 6 weeks of Summer left. I've been trying to pick up my pace when walking, I'm at 7km/h now, which is pretty comfortable, where at the start even walking slowly for 30 mins would make me break a sweat. I need to play more Ring Fit as well, it's only been a couple of times a week recently. I've been weighing in about once a fortnight, but it's frustrating when the scales barely move.

I discovered that i've been doing push-ups wrong for my whole life.

Turns out i've been doing 'wide arm' push-ups, with my arms out to the sides. According to the app I use, a true push-up has your arms tight to your body. 

I didn't think there would be much difference in the muscle groups between the two, but boy was I wrong. I can currently do about 50 'wide arm' push-ups, but not even 1 true push-up...

• Like 2

Push-ups are super-hard if you do them correctly.

But it's not "wrong" todo push-ups with a wide grip. It just hits a bit differently and uses more muscles in the chest.

• Like 2

Signed up to a PT. Decided I may as well try and do something with this downtime. 

Went the other day to meet him and then had an induction tonight with proper sessions starting next week. Two sessions a week with a third self-managed (?) session, but going to see how the first month goes and maybe bump it up to three if it goes well. One of those weird converted houses things so I don't think there will ever be many people in the gym/living room.

On 23/07/2020 at 3:18 PM, bob said:

I discovered that i've been doing push-ups wrong for my whole life.

Turns out i've been doing 'wide arm' push-ups, with my arms out to the sides. According to the app I use, a true push-up has your arms tight to your body. 

I didn't think there would be much difference in the muscle groups between the two, but boy was I wrong. I can currently do about 50 'wide arm' push-ups, but not even 1 true push-up...

Wide arm pushes are also a good workout, but it's hard to squeeze the center of the pectorals, meaning you don't get that nice line down the center of your chest. 

Really you want to change up the type of pushups you do, and work the muscle in multiple different ways. To start try 10 regular, 10 decline, 10 incline, 10 close grip and a wide arm hold for 15 seconds, with a short break in between. That will workout everything and give you a really good shape. Just remember to round the back at the top of the move.

Finally got back in the gym today and blitzed the legs. Exercises like the curl and extension that were hard to find at home alternatives for were workout strong. Already got a burn setting in, miss that feeling.

• Thanks 1

@LazyBoy I was going to ask if anyone else going back to the gym. I sorely want to try as I miss it. 

My local gym has set-up a lot to ensure that we're safe, every machine and rack is spaced apart from what I can see. With my membership running out tomorrow (I'm on a yearly contract), I'm tempted to go tomorrow and see how it goes. They even have their app to show how many people have checked in in the last hour, so I'm hoping if I go super early I can get a cardio session in.

What a treat that'll be! 

@nightwolf so the gyms opened here on first on July. You got to book in (which I like, forces me to be good with my time), 75 minute slots, all machines spaced out, you got to wash down the machines after you're done. All in all good job.

@nightwolf Hello as well, it's been a while. Hope you're good. This is completely out of the blue but there's a picture of me and you from sometime back in the day, I'm drawing on your arm in a Sheffield pub. You wouldn't have it saved somewhere would you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

@nightwolf so the gyms opened here on first on July. You got to book in (which I like, forces me to be good with my time), 75 minute slots, all machines spaced out, you got to wash down the machines after you're done. All in all good job.

@nightwolf Hello as well, it's been a while. Hope you're good. This is completely out of the blue but there's a picture of me and you from sometime back in the day, I'm drawing on your arm in a Sheffield pub. You wouldn't have it saved somewhere would you?

I don't! I think this is the night you're referring too...

w9IBBvh.jpg

crd1LN9.jpg

Goodness that feels like an entire person ago, I barely recognise that lady anymore. I (obviously) have pictures of a few others from here (like Dan, Smedley etc) too. What a forever ago that all is. I hope they are doing ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Great photo that. I'd like to think I've grown up since then but in reality I definitely still have that shirt.

• Haha 1

I’ve done something really weird to my foot. If I stand on my tip toes my heel gets pins and needles. Doesn’t hurt or impact movement, just a bit strange. Sounds like it might be Tarsal tunnel syndrome so need to go and get it checked out soon.

Still having trouble with my knees after a run. 

Made an appointment with an orthopedist on Monday and get it checked.

I am still going to go for a run later today :p 

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

Still having trouble with my knees after a run. 

Made an appointment with an orthopedist on Monday and get it checked.

I am still going to go for a run later today :p 

Might sound obvious, but are you running in proper running shoes or bog-standard trainers?

Years ago when I started running properly, my knees would start hurting once I started reaching and going past the hour mark. Worse still it would carry over to my next run even if it was just a 5k. Got to the stage where I would stop because my knees were hurting rather than gassing.

Went to a shop where they had a treadmill with a camera to record your running style and gait. Turns out I was taking long strides and not landing perfectly on my heels so the impact on my knees was quite high. Bought some cushioned running shoes and after taking it a bit easy and running on turf rather than roads, the pain went away.

29 minutes ago, Zell said:

Might sound obvious, but are you running in proper running shoes or bog-standard trainers?

Yup, got my running style analyzed and all.

Back in the gym for boxing. It's been almost 13 years since I did any training or fights.

• Like 1

Back in the gym for boxing. It's been almost 13 years since I did any training or fights.
Mike?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bob said:
4 hours ago, Iun said:

Mike?

El?

My clothes were feeling a bit baggy, so I decided to buy a t shirt one size smaller than usual and try it on every so often as a gauge of how much I've lost. I figured when it feels comfortable, I know I've achieved something tangible.

Turns out that's now. I've gone from feeling uncomfortable in an XL to feeling ok in a large.

The downside is that I'll now have to replace all my shirts...

• Like 5