NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Exercise & Fitness Thread: The Struggle Is Real

On 03/06/2020 at 4:04 PM, Goafer said:

I'm so dang close to my first stone lost. The overall goal is to lose quite a bit more, but I can practically taste that first milestone (pun very much intended). Hopefully in the next week or so.

Well, finally nailed it. 1 stone lost in just over a month. 

Just got a load more to lose now...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

Well, finally nailed it. 1 stone lost in just over a month. 

Just got a load more to lose now...

Well done! Good stuff.

• Thanks 1

Ugh. Did some interval running uphill yesterday - 150 m with a 4.5 m elevation in total, 10 times. Forgot how much intervals ruin my legs the following day. 

Contemplating getting an exercise bike. Feeling blerg because of those whole thing and my knee and foot have been playing up for a while so running feels like it would be counter productive and I need some kind of cardio. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Contemplating getting an exercise bike. Feeling blerg because of those whole thing and my knee and foot have been playing up for a while so running feels like it would be counter productive and I need some kind of cardio. Any suggestions?

Get a decent fan as well. I got some rollers for my bike ages ago and it's very easy to overheat whilst static cycling. The lack of movement/wind made a much bigger difference than I anticipated.

Unless you're used to gym type stuff. Then I imagine it's business as usual.

Edited by Goafer

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

What about swimming? If there is somewhere nearby you can do it then it's a good all-round, low-impact form of exercise.

4 hours ago, will' said:

What about swimming? If there is somewhere nearby you can do it then it's a good all-round, low-impact form of exercise.

6 hours ago, Goafer said:

Get a decent fan as well. I got some rollers for my bike ages ago and it's very easy to overheat whilst static cycling. The lack of movement/wind made a much bigger difference than I anticipated.

Unless you're used to gym type stuff. Then I imagine it's business as usual.

Was thinking of doing it next to my bedroom window. I know there could be still days but should be okay. And I have used gym bikes with the little useless stream of air. 

4 hours ago, will' said:

Nowhere is open to go swimming!

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Was thinking of doing it next to my bedroom window. I know there could be still days but should be okay. And I have used gym bikes with the little useless stream of air. 

Nowhere is open to go swimming!

If you rig up a harness system from the ceiling then you could swim without water from the comfort of your own home.

• Like 1

"Comfort" is not a word I'd associate with that setup

• Like 1

Does anyone else here have huge fluctuations between different running sessions?

Last Monday I ran 13 km in 90 minutes, today I could only manage to run 5.5 km in 35 minutes and was completely exhausted. Both times I ran at pretty much the same pace.
Edit: Lol, my math is bad. I obviously ran faster today than on Monday. Still...feels weird that it makes that much of a difference.

Anyways. Managed to reduce my weight from 70kg in March to 61kg now. A few more need to go :)

Edited by drahkon

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Anyways. Managed to reduce my weight from 70kg in March to 61kg now. A few more need to go :)

How tall are you? In metric units....

But yeah, fluctuations are normal. I hate them. 

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

How tall are you? In metric units....

170cm.

2 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

But yeah, fluctuations are normal. I hate them. 

Good to know. I'm training to run the distance of a half marathon without taking a break but sometimes I just can't push past 5 or 6 km. Other days running 10 to 12 km is just fine. ::shrug:

I don't think you need to go lower than 60 kg then...

Well, it depends on how well you slept, what time of the day you are running, how you've been eating and drinking, if you've taken a break, etc.

Just now, MindFreak said:

I don't think you need to go lower than 60 kg then...

It's going to be inevitable, though. I want to lose the remaining fat on my belly/hips.

Well, it depends on how well you slept, what time of the day you are running, how you've been eating and drinking, if you've taken a break, etc.

That's probably the main factor. I ran around noon today and much later last Monday.

49 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's going to be inevitable, though. I want to lose the remaining fat on my belly/hips.

That's probably the main factor. I ran around noon today and much later last Monday.

Losing fat isn't necessarily the same as losing weight. ;)

Losing fat isn't necessarily the same as losing weight. ;)

That's true, but right now I'm not doing much to gain muscles. Should probably change that, but training for a 20km run is taking a lot of energy.

On 30/05/2020 at 4:56 PM, Goafer said:

Seeing as it's the weekend and I had nothing much that needing doing, I thought I'd up my game and go on a longer bike ride. Ended up doing 14 miles to my nearest town. I think that may have been pushing it a bit, as I was pretty knackered on the way back and had to stop a few times. Could be to do with the heat too, as it's bloody hot today.

Either way, I managed it.

Did this again, but rather than just going to the outskirts of my nearest town, I decided to venture in a bit and ended up adding 6 miles to my route, for a total of 20. Still got a bit worn out on the way back, but I managed it without any issues.

Fortunately I live in a really nice part of the world, so even if I have to stop, I get to enjoy the nice scenery.

I've not lost any weight recently (actually put a few pounds on and then lost it again to break even), but I have noticed a few of my t-shirts feel a bit baggy, which ironically makes me feel a bit like a fat slob. I'm not saying baggy clothes are for slobs, it's more because when I was younger I wore baggy clothes to cover up being fat and now I always associate baggy clothes with me being fat.

Edited by Goafer

Out of interest, what is up with your foot? I've had a foot problem since last year (pretty bad chronic plantar fasciitis), gives me bad heel pain. Like you I've taken to the exercise bike more due to it being low impact.

Got my e-bike arriving next week. Probably been about 20 years since I last went for a ride so I'm quite looking forward to it. 

The plan at the moment is to mainly use the boost modes for the hills around here and for when I occasionally have no ride to work, otherwise I'll try to use the bike as usual and hopefully start to lose a bit of weight.

38 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
On 10/06/2020 at 10:57 PM, Ashley said:

Out of interest, what is up with your foot? I've had a foot problem since last year (pretty bad chronic plantar fasciitis), gives me bad heel pain. Like you I've taken to the exercise bike more due to it being low impact.

Knee has been a bit weird for years and doctors are just like 🤷‍♂️

Foot is like I pulled a muscle and it's swelling but it's been that way for ages. Putting ice on it helps but doesn't seem to go away fully. 

I decided to try and get back into shape about a month ago as quarantine had added on a couple of extra pounds I wasn't mentally prepared for.
To be honest, I haven't done much. I've walked 3-4 miles every day for the past month, completely changed my diet (no bread or snacks, more salads and 5 portions of fruit and veg a day) and removed beer completely as I was having two or three bottles a night when quarantine kicked off. In April, which was obviously the time everyone started working from home, I was down to under a mile a day for my monthly average activity. The lowest it's been in probably 3 or more years. 

Anyway, the combination of walking, better diet and a few sessions a week on Ring Fit have completely transformed my life. I'm sleeping much better, easily getting 7 hours a night, I've noticed my mood is much, much better than it was before and my work has improved significantly. Honestly, feeling like a new person. I was 13st 3lbs in the middle of May and I'm now 12st 4lbs, so just coming up to a stone lost, which I think is pretty decent for 30 days work. The main thing is my BMI has crept out of "obese" territory which I'm frankly disgusted with myself for getting in to (Yes, I'm short, very short). I've set myself an arbitrary target of 10 stone by the end of September, but I'm mostly interested in getting my BMI back down below 25. It's funny how you never notice how bad something is until you make an effort to change it. Every evening I go for my walk after my final class of the day and I can't even begin to understand why I didn't do it before. Perfect chance to listen to a podcast for an hour or some music. I'm also lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the world and have a promenade on my doorstep which stretches 8 miles of the river. Glorious in the Summer.

Now that I've posted, I'm obliged to come back and give some updates. I'm sure that the weight loss will eventually plateau if I don't change up my regime a bit, so I'll maybe be looking for advice on how to do that shortly (except running, never running, I hate running).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats @Nicktendo! Glad to hear it's paying off. 

May look into Ring Fit, although I suspect it's still difficult to get. 

• Thanks 1

Checked my BMI based on my weight from January before I started going to the gym and I was borderline classed obese which seems insane as I wouldn't have classed myself as being obese.

I haven't lost as much weight since starting as I expected but i'm not sure if it's just whatever muscle I've gain pushing the numbers back up but I'm still very close to being classed as obese. Obviously BMI doesn’t seem to take into account muscle so seems kinda flawed, but the calculator is recommending I lose 9lbs.

About a week ago, I started feeling a little stiff and sore in my ankle. Didn't think too much about it but now I just randomly saw something about the achilles tendon and pain there and it unfortunately matches the place that I feel the pain. It's very subtle so hopefully it's just a little thing. I've head that problems with the Achilles tendon heal very slowly and never really gets quite well again so I hope that it is just a small thing. 

E-bike arrived earlier so I decided to take it out for a test ride without the battery round the village. I’m so knackered now 😆 It didn’t help though that I couldn’t figure out how to change the gears until I got home so I was stuck in 1st the entire way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1