NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Exercise & Fitness Thread: The Struggle Is Real

@Goafer I noticed the same also! Plus my fingers have shrunk (rings now fit much, much better). You've done a cracking job, well done.

• Thanks 1

Excellent work Goafer, that's really impressive :)

The other day was 3 months since I started seeing my PT. We calculated it's been 32 sessions with him (2 a week first month, 3 last two months) and I think about 46 or so if we include singles but at the start I wasn't really keeping track of those.

I can notice it in my body and I looked at photos we took at the start and it is clear. Still some to go but making the right progress as well as seemingly increasing strength (relying on him to monitor that though). He seems to have quietly got me bulking as well. Encouraged me to start eating eggs a while ago (never been a fan) and gone from begrudgingly including one with breakfast to having four and sometimes more during the day too and now he keeps encouraging me to have bigger portions. Think I might need bigger plates...

• Thanks 1

Apparently, I just set a new record in backsquat today. 10 reps of 75 kg, never done that before. I was a bit surprised but I think it's more due to me moving on to 8, 6 or 4 reps before going for higher weight at 10 reps. I'm mostly doing 10 reps at the moment because I don't squat so often (most likely just once a week) and therefore don't think I'll be able to increase the weight so much. 

49 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Apparently, I just set a new record in backsquat today. 10 reps of 75 kg, never done that before. I was a bit surprised but I think it's more due to me moving on to 8, 6 or 4 reps before going for higher weight at 10 reps. I'm mostly doing 10 reps at the moment because I don't squat so often (most likely just once a week) and therefore don't think I'll be able to increase the weight so much. 

Funny enough, I've switched my routines around and am aiming for volume these days instead of going for high weight. I've been doing reps in the 8-10 range (mostly 10) and have been enjoying it a lot more. It's amazing the burn you get on those final few reps. My legs felt like they were going to burst. 

28 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Funny enough, I've switched my routines around and am aiming for volume these days instead of going for high weight. I've been doing reps in the 8-10 range (mostly 10) and have been enjoying it a lot more. It's amazing the burn you get on those final few reps. My legs felt like they were going to burst. 

Indeed. The last few reps are painful. Not today... but tomorrow. And the day after that.

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Indeed. The last few reps are painful. Not today... but tomorrow. And the day after that.

Hit legs today. Finished about 2 hours ago, but my calves are still on fire and it feels like all of the energy has been sapped out of me. Completely wiped out now. :o 

I did legs today (well glutes) and feeling okay at the moment, see what the morning brings. 

Although I did legs on Saturday too and felt okay Sunday. Maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe my legs are just 💯

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I did legs today (well glutes) and feeling okay at the moment, see what the morning brings. 

Although I did legs on Saturday too and felt okay Sunday. Maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe my legs are just 💯

You have an arse day? :o:love::laughing:

32 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

You have an arse day? :o:love::laughing:

Seems so! Think it was legs really but with a focus on glutes, which appropriately enough included hip thrusts 😏 (with barbell resting on top) 

12 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Seems so! Think it was legs really but with a focus on glutes, which appropriately enough included hip thrusts 😏 (with barbell resting on top) 

This will be you in a month's time:

sexy the simpsons GIF

• Like 3

Bold of you to assume I don't already have a butt like that. 

Woke up feeling the effects of Monday's back workout. Maybe tomorrow is when I'll be hobbling like an old man. 

DOMS:

tumblr_ns6dtmlWak1tlho3yo1_500.jpg

Actually, not that bad. Heavy squats make my legs a bit more tired the day after and funnily enough, it's only my inner thigh muscles (on women they are called the "no" muscles...) that are really sore. 

Today I have planned interval rowing. 500 meters, 8 times, 1 minute rest between. That always kills me. Not really motivated due to a long morning where my son was just like "no" all the time and didn't want to go to the toilet, didn't want to dress, didn't want to go to child care, etc. 

Edit: Done with rowing. Now I feel tired and dead, even though my performance wasn't quite what it normally is. Today my pace was going from 1:36 til 1:40. Last time I did it it was 1:34-1:41, and before that I even got to 1:32-1:40. I'll use the squats yesterday to excuse my performance today. :) 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 2

Wow, so just lead my first couple of Zoom fitness & conditioning sessions for members of our club and I have so much more respect for anyone else that has been hosting / leading any exercise class virtually.  It’s a very strange experience when you’re giving instructions but can’t hear anything back, so it’s just your own voice bouncing around a room!

I think they went ok though, and everyone was doing the exercises (better than me!) so my demo-ing / instructions must have at least made some sense!

PT has set up a lockdown burpee challenge where over the space of 28 days you build up more and more. I've gone for the more difficult track which started on 15 and moves up to 40 for the penultimate day and then the last day "as much as you can manage" which I think I'm going to try and push for 50. If you don't see me after December 6th you'll know why.

A Facebook friend of mine did the same, just for a year. +1 burpee every day through the year, starting from 1 naturally. That's insane. Nothing short. Doing 365 burpees would take most people up 45 minutes, I reckon. And just the thought of doing 364 just to know that you have to do 365 the day after. Or even 300 and the 301... Geez. 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

A Facebook friend of mine did the same, just for a year. +1 burpee every day through the year, starting from 1 naturally. That's insane. Nothing short. Doing 365 burpees would take most people up 45 minutes, I reckon. And just the thought of doing 364 just to know that you have to do 365 the day after. Or even 300 and the 301... Geez. 

I read something about someone doing the same (during a leap year no less!) and it gave the total amount and it was something like 16,000. Imagine!

Training legs on Monday, the start of the week when you're meant to be at your freshest, makes a lot of sense. Also, at the same time, it is unbelievably fucking stupid, since it now means that I'll be tired and drained for tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. :shakehead

20 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Training legs on Monday, the start of the week when you're meant to be at your freshest, makes a lot of sense. Also, at the same time, it is unbelievably fucking stupid, since it now means that I'll be tired and drained for tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. :shakehead

I tend to do leg day on Mondays. Can feel it from my glutes downwards today but feels like progress you know. But then maybe you're doing more than I am anyway. 

Did Bulgarian (Bolivian?) squats yesterday which was new. Although my balance needs work. 

Update

Just posting in the facebook group for that PT burpee challenge I mentioned and it suggested I invite @Fierce_LiNk. Tempted but I fear he'd show me up :p 

Just did a 20 minutes row workout followed by a 30 minutes Fitness Boxing 2 (for review purpose) and even though I chose "heavy" workout in FB2, my pulse fell from 150 to 130 over that half-hour. Seriously?

My elbows are tired now, though.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Just did a 20 minutes row workout followed by a 30 minutes Fitness Boxing 2 (for review purpose) and even though I chose "heavy" workout in FB2, my pulse fell from 150 to 130 over that half-hour. Seriously?

My elbows are tired now, though.

Coincidentally I was saying to SCG the other day I may review that game when it comes out. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm, you people tried the first one? I kept up with it for a month, but didn't really feel it was doing much for me. I wonder how both compare.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Hmm, you people tried the first one? I kept up with it for a month, but didn't really feel it was doing much for me. I wonder how both compare.

I got it a little while ago (September I'd guess) to complement my workouts but when I got ill I stopped for a while as I was overdoing things. Recently just started using it as additional cardio here and there. 

I could see why if you were doing it every day you'd get bored but I think it's a good supplementary exercise, particularly during crappy weather (personally prefer getting out into the real world but if it's pissing it down not so much).

Just done legs day. You with me @Fierce_LiNk?

On 17/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, Ashley said:

I tend to do leg day on Mondays. Can feel it from my glutes downwards today but feels like progress you know. But then maybe you're doing more than I am anyway. 

Did Bulgarian (Bolivian?) squats yesterday which was new. Although my balance needs work. 

Update

Just posting in the facebook group for that PT burpee challenge I mentioned and it suggested I invite @Fierce_LiNk. Tempted but I fear he'd show me up :p 

Not a fan of burpees! :D 

Haven't done them in a long while. They do get my heart racing, so they do work. I don't do facebook challenges, so...:heh:

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

I got it a little while ago (September I'd guess) to complement my workouts but when I got ill I stopped for a while as I was overdoing things. Recently just started using it as additional cardio here and there. 

I could see why if you were doing it every day you'd get bored but I think it's a good supplementary exercise, particularly during crappy weather (personally prefer getting out into the real world but if it's pissing it down not so much).

Just done legs day. You with me @Fierce_LiNk?

Aye yeah, did legs today after work. Got about 3 sets into to squats and questioned why I was ever even born. My calves right now feel like they've been stretched in about 10 different directions. Hamstrings were quite tired, too.

10 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Not a fan of burpees! :D 

Haven't done them in a long while. They do get my heart racing, so they do work. I don't do facebook challenges, so...:heh:

Aye yeah, did legs today after work. Got about 3 sets into to squats and questioned why I was ever even born. My calves right now feel like they've been stretched in about 10 different directions. Hamstrings were quite tired, too.

I'm not a big fan either but doing this challenge has helped make them a bit easier in the long run. Wouldn't normally do something like that but helping my PT out.

I did 5 sets of squats (bar, 60, 80, 90, 60), leg press, sissy squats with barbell, dumbbell split squats and something involving essentially a giant elastic band and I had to kick back using it. Went to pick something up off the floor this morning by leaning over and raised my leg as a counter balance and boy did I feel that. 

Burpees are really great. And the good thing about them is that when you do enough, you start to learn to do them properly so each of them don't require so much energy. Land with almost straight legs, a bit further apart than shoulder width, will help make them easier. And remember, it's not a push-up, keep the knees on the floor until the jump and bend a bit in the back when getting up.