NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Exercise & Fitness Thread: The Struggle Is Real

I am in love with my Wii Balance Board. I've just bought a ton of Wii games for it and I'm loving them all (well, not Jillian Michaels, that sucks a little).

• The Biggest Loser USA- I love this one because it's quite simple and I can just switch on the board and crack on with what I want and create routines.
  • The Biggest Loser Challenge- I love the fact they've added equipment like resistance bands but it's not as straightforward to do workouts and play games, which annoys me
  • Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum- This SUCKS! It's not that great and doesn't at all respond well.
  • My Fitness Coach: Cardio Workout- It's mainly a boxing one that teaches you how to box. Honestly, it's great. It responds well.
  • My Fitness Coach: Get in Shape- It's great but you may as well get a fitness DVD and do that instead.
  • My Fitness Coach: Dance Workout- It's like a low-grade Zumba/Just Dance game. It's not bad...but it's not great.
  • Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus: I love the games and the muscular exercises and yoga exercises BUT I'd have liked a workout regime instead of having to singularly pick the exercises.

Had an excellent bike ride today. Did my long (20 miles) route and normally the last 5 miles are a bit of a slog and I have to take a few breaks. Today I didn't have to stop at all, although they were still the hardest part of the journey.

Cardio during my cycling has now become trivial. I rarely get out of breath and can pretty much breathe out of my nose whilst keeping a good pace. Where I still need to improve is my muscle stamina. Much better today, but still some way to go to get back to how I was about 10 years ago, where I could pretty much cycle indefinitely. I remember being able to cycle 40 miles and still feeling like I could do it again.

I normally lose about 3lbs over the weekend as I tend to have a lie in, skip breakfast and do my long cycling route. If this weekend follows suit, I'll have lost a total of 2 stone. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's weigh in I guess.

On 04/07/2020 at 4:35 PM, Goafer said:

I normally lose about 3lbs over the weekend as I tend to have a lie in, skip breakfast and do my long cycling route. If this weekend follows suit, I'll have lost a total of 2 stone. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's weigh in I guess.

A day later than planned, but hit the 2 stone lost mark today. Feels good man.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Goafer said:

Go Goafer! It's your birthday. Gonna loose some weight like it's your birthday!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Go Goafer! It's your birthday. Gonna loose some weight like it's your birthday!

Just making room for the 2 stone cake I'll be eating later.

Happy Birthday @Goafer :D and congrats on reaching your exercise goal. :) (if that's the term, Idk ::shrug: I just wanted to say, well done)

- - - - -

I've been doing a few exercises recently, just really small weights, trying to maintain what strength I have and build it up slightly.

I manged to put on a bit of weight recently as well, which is a good thing as I was below 8St and I'm now just above it. :smile:

(I used to be really underweight from the rubbish routine I used to have when I was in work, which was what lead to health issues. A year on and I'm still underweight but a lot better)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Happy Birthday @Goafer :D and congrats on reaching your exercise goal. :) (if that's the term, Idk ::shrug: I just wanted to say, well done)

- - - - -

I've been doing a few exercises recently, just really small weights, trying to maintain what strength I have and build it up slightly.

I manged to put on a bit of weight recently as well, which is a good thing as I was below 8St and I'm now just above it. :smile:

(I used to be really underweight from the rubbish routine I used to have when I was in work, which was what lead to health issues. A year on and I'm still underweight but a lot better)

Thanks. I've still got a way to go, but it's another benchmark and a sign that my new routine is still working.

And well done with the exercises. I find indoor exercises boring as fuck, so nice one for finding the motivation to do it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Goafer said:

Thanks. I've still got a way to go, but it's another benchmark and a sign that my new routine is still working.

And well done with the exercises. I find indoor exercises boring as fuck, so nice one for finding the motivation to do it.

It all makes a difference, and building up a routine and sticking to it can be challenging, but it's nice when it pays off. :smile:

Thanks. Indoor exercise is definitely not the most enthralling activity, I tend to just do a few light exercises while inbetween other household tasks, or while listening to music or watching a video, which can work well as I've heard that if you're actively doing something while watching a video, or listening to audio then you'll tend to actively take in more of the information. ::shrug:

I've no idea how true that is, but there might be something in it. In any case, it's nice to have a bit of exercise to do during the day, though it's also nice to have something to distract from it as well and I've found that it does help, as when you go without exercising for a while, you kind of think 'Eh, I don't really need to' but then when you get into a routine, even if it's just quarter of an hour of focused, light exercise; it really does help. :peace:

• Like 1

So I've lost 4lb after doing a week of Wii games and eating healthy. Good start! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was nice to get back on the bike this morning. After trying to let my legs recover a bit and then all the rain we’ve had this week I haven’t really had a chance to ride.

Oh I also meant to ask, do any of you use Strava? I’m part of the ResetEra cycling club on there but it’s just not as fun seeing people’s stats that you don’t really know.

I've started using an app that plans workouts each day for you. I thought I could do 10 minutes a day, and that would strengthen me up a little bit, and maybe replace the exercise that i'm not getting from missing out on my morning cycle commute.

However, the app asks you to choose a level when you first start, based on how many push-ups you can do. The levels are <10, between 10 and 20, and more than 20. I answered truthfully, which was more than 20, since i could do 20-ish before i started using the app.

I'm starting to think this was the wrong answer now, as the workouts are unbelievably difficult, and i'm often left in a weakened pile on the floor. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the difficulty either, so i'm stuck whimpering my way through a ridiculous number of push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises each day. 

I’ve been using strava for many years - Strava Profile

I’m finding that since I gave up on my pace targets all of my runs have become much slower. Which I guess in a positive light means that all my varied run lenghts and strict time targets were showing some real benefit. Will try and get those back into my program when time allows for it. Until then it should be a fairly easy glide to hit my distance target for the year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bob said:

I've started using an app that plans workouts each day for you. I thought I could do 10 minutes a day, and that would strengthen me up a little bit, and maybe replace the exercise that i'm not getting from missing out on my morning cycle commute.

However, the app asks you to choose a level when you first start, based on how many push-ups you can do. The levels are <10, between 10 and 20, and more than 20. I answered truthfully, which was more than 20, since i could do 20-ish before i started using the app.

I'm starting to think this was the wrong answer now, as the workouts are unbelievably difficult, and i'm often left in a weakened pile on the floor. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the difficulty either, so i'm stuck whimpering my way through a ridiculous number of push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises each day. 

What's the apps name?

What's the apps name?
It's called "Home Workout - no equipment"

1 hour ago, bob said:
1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:
What's the apps name?

It's called "Home Workout - no equipment"

Thanks, will check it out. The problem I have had since lockdown is divising workouts that keep me interested, so I'll see how this does.

3 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Thanks, will check it out. The problem I have had since lockdown is divising workouts that keep me interested, so I'll see how this does.

Please enjoy doing 'Hindu push-ups' as much as I do. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2020 at 8:29 AM, Goafer said:

Great work with that! 

I need to get my diet/intake a bit more under control. Chocolate is my absolute weakness, so I do need to stop that.

Hit legs today for the first time in two weeks and am knackered, but enjoyed it. Calves took a hammering today and I know that I'll be feeling this tomorrow.

• Like 1

I started running when on furlough over Easter first aiming to beat 5k. I then cleared the 5k app, then the 10k app... I'm now aiming to complete 21k.

At the start I was weighing at 14 stone.. I now weigh in at 12st 12lbs..the hard work is paying off. 

Below is a pic of today's run...could of got a bit further but I was going at a slower pace so not to burn myself out. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DpH22Z4r8oMk2ub88

• Like 4

That’s awesome progress - well done! The great thing about running is it gets easier and easier but the benefits keep adding up the more you put into it. I’ve always  run but really set myself specific goals for the first time this year, the progress has been massive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, will' said:

That’s awesome progress - well done! The great thing about running is it gets easier and easier but the benefits keep adding up the more you put into it. I’ve always  run but really set myself specific goals for the first time this year, the progress has been massive.

Thanks. I think it's great going especially as I have two messed up knees. Currently wearing a support brace on my left knee when running as it blew out on my a few weeks back. Feels great now thanks to the brace :). 

52 minutes ago, soag said:

I started running when on furlough over Easter first aiming to beat 5k. I then cleared the 5k app, then the 10k app... I'm now aiming to complete 21k.

At the start I was weighing at 14 stone.. I now weigh in at 12st 12lbs..the hard work is paying off. 

Below is a pic of today's run...could of got a bit further but I was going at a slower pace so not to burn myself out. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DpH22Z4r8oMk2ub88

Good job, soag/doag/shadowofagoat.

Keep eet up.

• Like 1

My long cycling route (22 miles) has now become fairly comfortable. Previously I've limited it to once a week and then a few days recovery afterwards, but this week I've managed it twice and the second time was still fairly easy.

• Like 1

Just now, Goafer said:

My long cycling route (22 miles) has now become fairly comfortable. Previously I've limited it to once a week and then a few days recovery afterwards, but this week I've managed it twice and the second time was still fairly easy.

If only you used Strava then we’d have proof of this and could offer congratulations :p For now I will just call you a dirty liar.