NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The Exercise & Fitness Thread: The Struggle Is Real

I thought it would make sense this time around to un-date this thread, so that we could just have a continuation year-on-year. 

I'm quite conscious that I didn't get as much exercise done last year as I had hoped, usually due to work. I'm trying to make a deal this time around to leave work sooner so that I can come home and get my exercise done and out of the way. I'm also looking to re-join a squash club, partly for the cardio, but also because it was quite fun and I miss playing it.

Already got my third workout in of the new year, but my legs took a hammering the day before yesterday and are still quite sore now. I don't think I worked out legs for about 3 weeks, so I was anticipating this. It's a nice feeling to get back into it!

• Thanks 2

Joined the gym this week with a 30 day trial and had my induction today. Didn't have the heart to tell the instructor my only exercise was from Wii Fit and Ring Fit Adventure. :heh:Mostly just trying out the cardio machines. Quite enjoyed it. Not really sure what I want out of it but I want to lose from stomach fat and need to move a bit more in general since I'm sitting all day at my job.

Little bit sore, will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joined a gym back in August after a few years out, went three times a week consistently for nearly two months before I tore the ligaments in my right (and dominant) hand after a freak trip, which took two months to recover from. 

I'll be honest: since my hand has felt fully recovered, there's been a lot of weather-induced procrastination. I love going to the gym first thing, early in the morning - mainly due to the mental reward of knowing that I've already achieved something for the day which is challenging for most, as well as the lingering feeling of having worked hard; I find that it's a big confidence boost. 

Long story short, my gym is a 30 minute walk away, which is an intimidatingly dark and cold walk this time of year that early in the morning (I normally aim to be there for 06:00), and it's so early that my local buses aren't running. I don't yet have a car.

Add onto that my shift pattern changing weekly, ranging from 08:00 - 15:30 to 10:30 to 18:00 to 13:30 - 21:00 and then back to the start again, a 90 minute public transport trip into Birmingham, and my sleeping and exercise consistency is consistently a mess at the moment. There are conversations starting at work about changes to how these shift patterns are handled - ranging from shift patterns changing fortnightly as opposed to weekly, to not looping back around to the start of the shift pattern but instead going backwards (i.e. early > mid > late > mid > early and back, as opposed to early > mid > late > early, etc.) - but it's taken them way too long. A sneak peek into my job role is that it is a mentally and emotionally draining one for one of the larger banks, and in the last year a lot of people in my role have been taking time off for mental health.

Veered off course here a little, and some of this stuff probably belongs more in the Bad Stuff or Job threads, but yeah, I'm tired a lot of the time at the moment. On the upside, my distance from a gym could be set to decrease drastically in the coming months, so the travel time decreasing should make it much easier. 

Anyways, my aim for the year of 2020, starting this Monday, is to go to the gym a minimum of three times per week. As I've been out for a while, I'm going to ease myself back in with machines, but once I'm comfortable with where I'm at and feel myself regaining some of that strength (mentally perhaps moreso than physically?), I'm going to go back to free weights and change my diet up.

I think I'm best described as being slender and toned at the moment (always have been, one of those people who constantly get the "you should go to the gym/eat more" comments) and I'd like to bulk up a bit - I was in the best shape of my life just using bodyweight exercises when I left high school nearly five years ago now, and while the occasional glances from girls were nice (if a little weird for someone like me, who's definitely leaning more towards being an introvert), what I miss most, by far, is the mental fortitude and confidence that working out brings. 

I'll be back Monday morning for an update :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I miraculously hit my goals in 2019 by doing a crazy amount of running in November and December having fallen a long way behind due to longer than expected trips during the middle of the year. Doing this actually got me on a really good increase in both pace and stamina so this year I'm going to set more specific running goals:

1. Run 1,000km over the course of the year.
  2. Do a 5km run in under 20 minutes.
  3. Do a 10km run in under 40 minutes.

Other goals will be to do more non-running stuff but I'm not going to be too strict on that. It would just be nice to bulk up a little bit. Will aim to update here once a month to keep me honest on how things are going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, will' said:

I miraculously hit my goals in 2019 by doing a crazy amount of running in November and December having fallen a long way behind due to longer than expected trips during the middle of the year. Doing this actually got me on a really good increase in both pace and stamina so this year I'm going to set more specific running goals:

1. Run 1,000km over the course of the year.
  2. Do a 5km run in under 20 minutes.
  3. Do a 10km run in under 40 minutes.

Other goals will be to do more non-running stuff but I'm not going to be too strict on that. It would just be nice to bulk up a little bit. Will aim to update here once a month to keep me honest on how things are going.

I've been added to a parkrun WhatsApp group and someone in there managed 2019km+ (didn't state what they ended up on but said they were going to get past that) in running and cycling. 2020 in 2020 would be a good goal but doubt I'll make it. 

I joined the gym back in December and managed to do pretty regular exercise other than the week of Christmas (although some days still hit my 20k step count target if nothing else) and only missed exercise yesterday when I went home for my nan's birthday. 

Trying to set some decent groundwork over the next month or two before I start travelling properly. Hoping to keep up some of it while travelling but know sometimes it will be more difficult. 

• Thanks 1

Was expecting to be a lot more sore today, but it actually wasn't that bad. I guess the Wii Fit/Ring Fit Adventure training paid off after all. :cheeky:

I didn't really do anything too strenuous yet I guess.

I rely on my exercise to keep me sane. Though I've been a gym regular since I was 16, there's been long periods where I haven't and my state of mind substantially deteriorates. Now if I go a week without working out I get anxious.

Just started a new job where most of my stakeholders don't come online until the afternoon, so I've gotten into a good rhythm of going at lunch. Breaks up the day and gives you an endorphin boost going into the afternoon.

I still wish I could get back into some competitive sport, but theres nothing I'm good enough at that I don't feel substantial anxiety about joining something. 

• Thanks 1

Dunno if it was something I did at the gym but my back is hurting. It didn't kick in until a bit later while I was doing a bit of shopping so I'm not sure.

Dunno if it was something I did at the gym but my back is hurting. It didn't kick in until a bit later while I was doing a bit of shopping so I'm not sure.
Dunno, sounds shopping related to me. What were you buying at the time?

On 18/01/2020 at 10:15 PM, Ike said:

If it's muscular do some light stretching before you go to bed and after you wake up, and it should go away in a couple days (any 10 minute YouTube yoga video will do). If it lasts longer than that it may be more serious.

I'm regularly running while at work - there is a decent 4-5 km route without stops that go around a small lake so it's quite a nice run. In the beginning, I took the 4 km route and was fine but a part of that has been overflooded by water so I'm now turning around a little over halfway through and get to 5 km instead. I feel that those 5 km are really hard, even though I'm used to running that distance by now, and have been looking at it - it's mainly uphill the entire way back home and the wind usually comes from that direction. This means that I'm running at a pace about 4:10 min/km which is fine but slower than what I want - I'm aiming for 4:00. 

Today, I went for a run starting from my home and hitting a ~6 km route withiout any breaks. Was surprised to see a time of 23:53 minutes - 4:01 min/km. I think those harder 5 km are making my normal route easier for me, and I think I could have hit the 4:00 today since I had to slow down at a point because I was passing two pairs of persons that where passing each other.

My numbers are steadily increasing. Up to 95kg squats, which apparently I've not hit since January 2016. Surprising! Looking at my old numbers, it's interesting to see that I've spent the last 3 years or so focusing on banging out more reps but at lower weight. Overall, I think my body performs better when I'm focusing on the 5 rep range with higher weight. It's interesting. The trade-off is that I think my stamina for cardio is much better than it used to be, so there are pluses and minuses. 

The one lift that I've always been a bit shit with is my standing overhead press. Need to put a lot of work into my shoulders. 

14 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

My numbers are steadily increasing. Up to 95kg squats, which apparently I've not hit since January 2016. Surprising! Looking at my old numbers, it's interesting to see that I've spent the last 3 years or so focusing on banging out more reps but at lower weight. Overall, I think my body performs better when I'm focusing on the 5 rep range with higher weight. It's interesting. The trade-off is that I think my stamina for cardio is much better than it used to be, so there are pluses and minuses. 

I've always found 5-6 to be the best number of reps as the trade-offs feel more balanced. At the higher reps, it takes ages and the progress is minimal. At lower reps, it's just more breaks than exercise and it gets more dangerous as the weight gets heavier, and then you can't really transfer that strength into other things as you don't have the stamina. It feels great to lift a high weight a couple of times, though.

On 02/03/2020 at 9:08 AM, MindFreak said:

I've always found 5-6 to be the best number of reps as the trade-offs feel more balanced. At the higher reps, it takes ages and the progress is minimal. At lower reps, it's just more breaks than exercise and it gets more dangerous as the weight gets heavier, and then you can't really transfer that strength into other things as you don't have the stamina. It feels great to lift a high weight a couple of times, though.

Yeah, I have to agree that the 5-6 range really works well for me. We've bought some incremental weight plates in 0.25kg, 0.5kg, 0.75kg and 1kg sizes and I'm starting to see the benefits of using those already. I'm hoping that being able to increase the weight in these smaller sizes will help me break through my overhead press plateau. I feel that my chest has developed nicely but the shoulders have lagged behind, so I need to bring those up.

Well, since I'm now forced to work from home, I guess I have to find some workouts to do every day. Normally I bike about 20 km a day but that's not necessary anymore. So guess I'll be rowing a lot and taking out my weights a bit more often now.

On the plus side, there is no candy or cake at home - contrary to work. So that's a detox, I guess. :D

• Like 1

Added deadlifts, bicep curls and triceps extensions to my routine and bumped the number of reps from 10 to 12 and I'm knackered. :laughing:

My weakest is the shoulder press so my shoulders are also pretty weak.

Update on my targets:

1. Run 1,000km over the course of the year - Currently at just over 250km
  2. Do a 5km run in under 20 minutes - Current best 21:35
  3. Do a 10km run in under 40 minutes - Current best 48:34

I'm well ahead on 1 and 2 and on track for 3. Haven't missed too many runs so confident I can keep bringing those times down.

Yesterday I hit my goal - I ran 6.06 km in just 24:00, that's 3:57 min/km. There were next to no stops due to traffic lights, and the weather was really good with no wind. My route isn't flat but it's not much - the last 6 minutes, though, were mainly uphill but only a 10 meter increase. Now I don't know what to aim for - perhaps just doing it again for now.

As I said, I'll be training home and I aim to do something every day. Thursday I did 20 minutes on the rowing machine, Friday I did this:
5 rounds of (13 burpees, 13 kettlebell high swings, 13 jumping squats, 13 push-ups, 13 atomic sit-ups)
and yesterday I did the 6 km run followed by 3 rounds of (10 one-armed kettlebell overhead press @ 12 kg, 10 stiff-legged kettlebell deadlift @ 20 kg, 8 one-armed kettlebell rows @ 20 kg). Don't know what I'll b e doing today. Maybe it's a good day to take a break.

• Like 2

Been to the gym a couple of times this year, it's just been too damn busy to get a range of machines. Worse of all are the groups of about 3 kids who all hover around one machine, one using and the others just standing there looking at their phones. Rotate and repeat. If you're going to waste your time not doing stuff at the gym, go in the corner and get out of everyone's way.

Over the past week I've been having some shoulder pain, and think somehow I've damaged my rotator cuff a lil, so that's put a hold on gym stuff at the moment. So my body's making more excuses.

On 15.3.2020 at 7:53 AM, MindFreak said:

Yesterday I hit my goal - I ran 6.06 km in just 24:00, that's 3:57 min/km. There were next to no stops due to traffic lights, and the weather was really good with no wind. My route isn't flat but it's not much - the last 6 minutes, though, were mainly uphill but only a 10 meter increase. Now I don't know what to aim for - perhaps just doing it again for now.

Aw, seems like I was mislead by Google Fit. For my birthday last week, I got a Garmin Forerunner 235 and ran the same route - ~5.86 km according to that. This time, I ran it in 23:50, or 24:10 with a small break at a traffic light. 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Aw, seems like I was mislead by Google Fit. For my birthday last week, I got a Garmin Forerunner 235 and ran the same route - ~5.86 km according to that. This time, I ran it in 23:50, or 24:10 with a small break at a traffic light. 

From hero to zero in the space of a week.

Just kidding, still damn impressive, I wish I had that sort of pace.

• Like 1

How is everyone doing with keeping fit & healthy at the moment?  No gyms available but an opportunity to go out for a run/ride each day and things you can try at home.

How is everyone doing with keeping fit & healthy at the moment?  

I'm not.

The lack of my daily cycle commute and constant work-from-home snacking is putting a real toll on my waistline.

I've download 4 apps with various workouts a day to do at home on them. First one was downloaded over a week ago. Yet to start any of them.

Over the past year or so my weight has gradually gone up so I made the decision a couple of months ago to make an effort to do something about it. I'm really glad I started intermittent fasting in early February, was already used to the routine before the lockdown hit so I've been able to stick to the regime I set for myself. I don't think I would have had the willpower to do it if I'd started during the lockdown, late night snacking would have been too much of a comfort to give up. 

I still go out for my longer walk (about 6km) each day but have replaced my evening walk with a session on my Dad's turbo trainer in the garage. Was really hard work to start with, it's been a while since I've done it, but after a few days I got used to the strain on my legs. It'll be 8 weeks today since I started IF, hoping to have dropped a stone when I weigh in later on.