NEurope
Julius

Your 2020 Gaming Diary

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

randomiser

I've always been interested in playing one of these myself. But then I think: "What if I don't know these games well enough and get stuck?" and then I just scrap the idea entirely, eat chocolate and cry myself to sleep.

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I've always been interested in playing one of these myself. But then I think: "What if I don't know these games well enough and get stuck?" and then I just scrap the idea entirely, eat chocolate and cry myself to sleep.

While it's definitely a good idea to have some good knowledge of a game before attempting a randomiser, a good one will have some kind of feature that creates a readme file when you create your randomised game, telling you where each item is. If you run out of leads, you can refer to it to help you figure out what you can do next.

Ocarina of Time is a pretty massive game though, so it may not be the most beginner friendly way to play it.

Pokémon is usually a good way to try a randomiser. It's pretty straight forward to complete them because the randomised element is usually the Pokémon you encounter along the way. Not the items needed to progress.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

While it's definitely a good idea to have some good knowledge of a game before attempting a randomiser, a good one will have some kind of feature that creates a readme file when you create your randomised game, telling you where each item is. If you run out of leads, you can refer to it to help you figure out what you can do next.

That's quite a nifty feature.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pokémon is usually a good way to try a randomiser. It's pretty straight forward to complete them because the randomised element is usually the Pokémon you encounter along the way. Not the items needed to progress.

I don't like Pokémon anymore, though. So much that I wouldn't even play the old ones again :p

I might give the A Link to the Past randomizer ago sometime in the future.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

That's quite a nifty feature.

I don't like Pokémon anymore, though. So much that I wouldn't even play the old ones again :p

Can personally recommend the ALTTP one.  It’s great fun and very friendly for someone new to randomisers in general (just as long as you’re familiar with ALTTP itself of course!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

If I remember right, that randomizer has a preset mode made especially for randomiser beginners, so that would be a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

You know what the most notable episodes of LPs tend to be? Not the ones when you're doing well, though those can be good for the right people, but often it's seeing someone struggle at a boss battle, especially when it gives you vindication over your own experience with said boss.

I bring you exactly that today in the unlucky 13th part of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption. We finish up Bryyo and take down the Seed Boss Mogenar, in my opinion one of the hardest bosses in Prime 3 (he's certainly harder than the other two seed bosses).

Trying these videos out in a 7:30 timeslot to try and avoid clashing with major Youtubers in people's sub boxes and getting drowned out because of it.

Edited by GenericAperson
  • Like 1

[Lee Plays] What Remains of Edith Finch (Part 4)

Working back into the inside of the house, some of the stories in this part are more poignant.

• Like 2

Started playing Neon Abyss after falling in love with the art style and visuals, the trailer was pretty cool. It's basically Enter the Gungeon but as a side-on platformer rather than top down, and frankly not quite as good. Still enjoyable but sems a lot more basic and whoever thought it was a good idea to have the jump button as the left trigger needs to have a word with themselves. The shooting doesn't quite feel as good as Enter the Gungeon, but it isn't quite as punishing and there's actually decent progression in this one.

Overall fun enough at this early stage, I'm glad I played it on Game Pass (:bowdown:) though...

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Spent a while longer working on this episode because before starting the game this was something I really wanted to talk about.

If anyone has played the game Bioshock Infinite then the game's "Sky Rail" system might not be as original as you think...

Yes I am fully aware this screenshot is not a Prime 3 screenshot but all will become clear in the Part itself. This is the start of the Skytown segment of the game. I haven't actually recorded any further than this yet as my memory of the game from this point has gaps in it and I couldn't remember the best segmenting points for each part of the LP.

In other news I have finished Xenoblade Chronicles Future Connected. I still need to do one big final sidequest but i was level 79 when I beat the game and after switching Shulk to my lead was able to better handle enemies more of his level. Probably why I switched Melia out to begin with as the game went on  when I went through the original first time.

• Like 1

[Lee Plays] What Remains of Edith Finch (Part 5)

Old Nintendo Gamer climbs upwards to see what Milton created, and Lewis’ mundane cannery job that enabled a dreamer to slip from reality.

• Like 1

With Xenoblade finished the Prime 3 LP is now the only thing I'm really playing alongside Magic Arena and I got back on the recording this afternoon. This episode has had an unusually fast delivery from recording to publishing, I literally just beat this boss today!

The last part was clearly lacking a major boss battle so thankfully this has one that gives us a nifty upgrade.

EDIT: Going to have to pull and re-upload the video due to a stray sound effect.

EDIT: Re-uploaded the video, sorry about that.

Edited by GenericAperson
Had to reupload the Youtube video
  • Like 1

Monthly update time! I haven't completed any big titles this month (in fact, I'm kind of struggling to find the concentration for long adventures). Instead I tackled some smaller games on the Switch, and I've been playing some random stuff on the PC as well.

First game that I played and finished was the amazing Bug Fables on the Switch. It's a lovely Paper Mario-inspired RPG, so I'm just going to plug the review from @S.C.G and me here once again: https://www.n-europe.com/reviews/bug-fables-the-everlasting-sapling

Infliction: Extended Cut (Nintendo Switch)

We got a spare review code for this, so I got a chance to play this as well. If you haven't already, go and check out the review from @Jonnas! It was fun because we had a long chat on discord about the game, talking about what we thought of it, how the developer must have come to this game and about the general good, bad and ugly. Conclusion is I agree with him on almost all points of the review.

Infliction is an interesting game, that's for sure. It's a survival horror game, but there is hardly a combat mechanic so it reminded me most of a point-and-click adventure. You can pick up a lot of items in the house you're playing in, although most serve no purpose. The setting is very eerie and disturbing, and especially during the beginning of the game I was anxious to go on as I'm really not good with scary games (and movies) haha. Later on I got a bit used to what I could expect but it still scared the crap out of me occasionally.

There are definitely moments of brilliance in the game, but for me it lacked a real general direction. Some parts of the game have been worked out in detail (like the fact you can pick everything up), but other parts are severely lacking and buggy. There are also some clever mechanics or puzzles in there, but they just show up once which is weird as they are the things that make the game interesting. I'd recommend it if you are into horror games and when it gets a hefty discount.

Gato Roboto (Nintendo Switch)

My MetroidVania addiction continued with Gato Roboto. I picked it up in a sale after having it on my wishlist for a while. A space pilot and his cat crash onto a planet, and with the pilot being immobilized it is up to the cat to rescue them both. Luckily you're quite a clever cat so you quickly find a powersuit to control, and from there on it is basically a Metroid game. You pick up weapon and suit upgrades and make your way deeper and deeper through the planet's facilities.

The game is pretty straightforward for a MetroidVania, but it's a short game so it doesn't get boring. There are some interesting mechanics that keep you entertained. You can for example get out of your powersuit and continue as just a cat (sometimes you have to to crawl through narrow spaces). This way you can climb walls but it also means a single hit can kill you.

Definitely recommend it. Being a short game you cannot expect too much depth, but that's what I liked about it. It's not pretentious, but instead a short, sweet and charming title you can breeze through in a couple of hours and have a lot of fun in doing so.

Super Metroid (Switch, SNES app)

Yes, more MetroidVanias! After playing Metroid: Samus Returns last month and Gato Roboto this month, my thirst for MetroidVanias was still not quenched. So I figured it was time to get onto Super Metroid, a game I have played a couple of times when I was younger but never finished! Well, it's done and dusted now, but I now know why I never finished it back in the days. Mostly because of the lack of save states and walkthroughs.

Because this game is filled with hidden pathways, where you have to blow away a part of the floor or wall or ceiling. Sometimes the map is a hint as to where the hidden paths are, but often you just have to figure it out yourself. Samus herself controls well, except for the wall jump and screw attack with which I struggled sometimes.

All in all it's a great game and I'm happy to finally have finished it. Despite some frustrations as mentioned above the game has a great atmosphere (what else to expect from a Metroid game!), great soundtrack and some of the most iconic environments in the series. With both Metroid and Metroid II remade, one would argue that this game should be next, right?

Jurassic World Evolution (PC)

Being a fan of the classic park building games such as Rollercoaster Tycoon and Theme Park, and of Jurassic Park ever since the movie came out in 1993 it would be weird not to pick this up, especially when it is dirt cheap in a Steam sale.

It's been a while since I've played a park builder, so I'm pretty happy Jurassic World Evolution is one of the easier ones to wrap your head around. It really doesn't require a lot of micromanaging and is quite generous with how you can increase your park rating. That means there is more time to gawk at the beauty of the game and the dinosaurs in particular, because damn it looks good.

There are several parks you run on different islands. You start off easy on an island without much hazards, but the next one for example is plagued by storms. Each next islands adds a new difficulty to it. Meanwhile you unlock research, attractions and of course dinosaurs to expand your parks. You can always switch back to a different island if you feel that needs adding, or if you want to reach a higher rating there for some more unlocks. Meanwhile there are 3 advisors who give you missions for their branches (science, entertainment and security). You have to balance them out as well, otherwise they will start sabotaging your park.

It does get repetitive after a while, but for me the addiction comes from getting new dinosaurs, breeding them and see how they react if you cram them together in an exhibit. I like that there are some rather obscure dino's in there as well, such as the Deinonychus who was a favourite of mine when I was a kid. Currently I'm on the third of 5 islands, and after that there is also a challenge mode and sandbox mode to go to. And if my needs are still not satisfied I can always get the DLC if that goes on sale.

• Like 3

Nice to see you enjoyed Super Metroid in the end. Though to be honest I think the game is well designed enough so that even if you are low on health there is likely some Energy Tank or health respawn point to help you push on. I thought I was stuck on it for ages but it turned out I was missing a nearby Energy Tank that would help me get my health back after the big room in Norfair with the rising liquid.

On the subject of Metroid games, up to 16 parts now and this is a more story focused episode after the acquisition of the Boost Ball as we meet with Skytown's Aurora Unit, 217.

Time to finally find out how to get rid of the shield right?

• Thanks 1

[Lee Plays] What Remains of Edith Finch (Part 6)

Old Nintendo Gamer wraps up Edith Finch by visiting her grandmother Edie’s Room, and the end credits. Thanks for sticking around!

• Like 1

I’ve been playing a fair bit of F1 2020, really very good but a bit strange with it now not really following the current season both in car livery and track list.

I’m also finding this years version much harder to increase your online safety rating. With last years version I got it up to the top level quite quickly and online was.a joy to play when everyone is a considerate racer. Being back in these lower leagues with the crash-meisters is testing my patience quite a lot.

I played through 2 classics this weekend gone, with my son, and the first of endeavours was Metal Slug.

[Let’s Play: Together] Metal Slug (Complete)

Old Nintendo Gamer & Son use copious amounts of credits to plough through the entire classic coin-op blaster.
Not happy that the in game sound came out quite heavy compared to our voices this time, but live and learn.

16 minutes ago, will' said:

I’ve been playing a fair bit of F1 2020, really very good but a bit strange with it now not really following the current season both in car livery and track list.

I’m also finding this years version much harder to increase your online safety rating. With last years version I got it up to the top level quite quickly and online was.a joy to play when everyone is a considerate racer. Being back in these lower leagues with the crash-meisters is testing my patience quite a lot.

Yeah, the A rating is much harder to get this year, it's incredibly frustrating. I got up to a high B last week and have plummeted back down to a low C this week due to an absolutely awful session last night. My performance rating is slowly going up and I've managed a few wins and a good deal of podiums, but the timewasters and crashers are really starting to wind me up. 

Wow, just had my first Content ID Claim that shut down one of my videos (Edith Finch Part 4).  It includes an excerpt of 'The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act II, Scene 3 : No. 13 Waltz of the Flowers', and WMG, KM Records took umbrage and shut the video down.  Wankers, haha.

Anyway, YouTube has a tool that can apparently silence the music only and leave everything intact.  That'll teach 'em if it works.

32 minutes ago, Londragon said:

Wow, just had my first Content ID Claim that shut down one of my videos (Edith Finch Part 4).  It includes an excerpt of 'The Nutcracker, Op. 71, Act II, Scene 3 : No. 13 Waltz of the Flowers', and WMG, KM Records took umbrage and shut the video down.  Wankers, haha.

Anyway, YouTube has a tool that can apparently silence the music only and leave everything intact.  That'll teach 'em if it works.

Can't believe you were trying to steal money from Tchaikovsky. How is he supposed to make ends meet if you don't pay him his royalties?

• Haha 1

I remember having one of my Prime 2 videos claimed by some random artist. They claimed to own the rights to the music in the second half of Torvus Bog, the Brinstar Red Remix in the area. If anyone owns the rights to that music it's Nintendo and I would have respected Nintendo's decision if they did so but false copyright claims aren't on. Thankfully it looks like the copyright claim has been removed since.

Also did a bit of sprucing up of the channel and added Londragon to the featured channels list.

Edited by GenericAperson
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Also did a bit of sprucing up of the channel and added Londragon to the featured channels list.

Will look into that Featured Channels, didn't know about it, but thanks, will return the favour when I get it working.

[Let’s Play: Together] Metal Slug X (Complete)

Old Nintendo Gamer & Son use copious amounts of credits to plough through the entire classic coin-op blaster.
That worked much better than the original even though it all had the same settings???

Currently playing Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on Switch.

I would assume that I finished Disc 1 last night, given how the plot developed. Speaking of the plot. It's a little...odd? There's the obvious bad guy who pretty much just shows up and declares "Lol, you're all going to die! I will unleash hell on you, NOOBS!" but gives no reason.
And then there's the all time favourite "I'm that shady guy who's working for your side at first but then defects to the enemy".
There are a few mysterious thingies going on, but to be honest...it's all a little boring and without rhyme or reason.

Still enjoying it, as the junction mechanic is pretty cool. Haven't earned a single experience point but I still wreck everything :D 

Also started Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (I will not type this out again). 4 missions in. Well...it's CoD. Shooty Mc Shootface in different scenarios. I enjoy it :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't played FFVIII personally but I do know that the game's system is completely broken and actively discourages levelling up, since the monsters level up alongside you not levelling is preferable because you can junction to max stats anyway without needing to gain experience. All the signs of a fundamentally broken game. No wonder they abandoned mechanics like that.

Not really playing much aside from the Prime 3 LP, which resumes on Youtube today with the newest episode and it has a major boss fight in it. Bounty Hunter Ghor is back but he's suffered an unfortunate fate and we are forced to take action, less we be stranded on Skytown forever!

I was watching the cutscenes back and noticed this one specific frame and thought "OK, that's the thumbnail."

Also, here's the video that's linked in the description itself on Youtrube which you obviously can't access on here.

Working on Part 18 now.

Edited by GenericAperson
  • Like 1

I finished Donkey Kong Country on the SNES app today.

Mixed feelings about this game. The music and atmosphere are the peak of Super Nintendo but the game hasn't aged terribly well in my opinion. The first four worlds are fantastic, but the game nose dives a little once you get through the snow world. I just didn't find the industrial zone and the caves as inspiring as the rest of the game (though that could just be nostalgia speaking). There is no doubt the collision detection is simply awful, a result of the technology used, I'm sure, but there were numerous silly or cheap deaths, something I wouldn't expect from Super Mario World, for example. The game is still great fun though, and the level design is still consistently good, if not amazing. The bosses, however, are underwhelming and exceedingly easy. After beating K. Rool I was kind of left with a "is that it?" feeling. The game also chugs pretty badly on a couple of the levels, most notably the second level when it starts raining. Simply shocking for a 25 year old game on modern hardware, but what can you do? ::shrug:

Having played DKC2 on the 3DS a few years ago, I can definitely say I prefer that game, but this one still has its moments. I still think it's an incredible achievement in the context of its original release, but as time's gone on, I do feel it was maybe carried quite heavily by the initial wow factor back in 1995. The sequels are fundamental better games, especially the Returns duo, but this game will always have its place in the history books. 

2 hours and 20 minutes for a lights-to-flag play through. 68% completion. Much, much shorter than I remember but I was speed running the early stuff which I still have pretty good muscle memory for. The temptation is there to push that higher, but I may pursue other stuff in the meantime. Really happy this game was added to the service and I'd really like to see the other two games drop, particularly the second, which is maybe my favourite SNES game. 

Awkward ending shot snapped for @nekunando because I don't use Twitter anymore.

image0.jpg?width=902&height=677

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello Neighbor

sounded interesting and it was on PS Now so thought I'd give it a try. After fumbling about for ages, I eventually had to look up a method to complete the first level, and the solutions are just crazy.

However, as a fan wouldn't push a box (as it should have done), it didn't work. I found another method but an important item glitched out of the level. I uninstalled after that.

The Turing Test

A Portal-style puzzle games (in terms of style and structure, not using portals). Fun and taxing puzzles without being too obscure, and an interesting background story to it all. Its pretty open to what everything means by the end of the game. Was definitely worth playing through.