NEurope
Julius

Your 2020 Gaming Diary

Maybe the general reaction to 1-2 Switch and the poor (?) sales of Labo or even things like Codename Steam on 3DS has scared them a bit this generation. Especially when games in their usual franchises can sell 5-10 million plus.

Assassin's Creed III finished.   People have said this is the weakest in the series down to certain elements like Connor.  However, I enjoyed it as I did on the Xbox 360.  It's got it's glitches like the NPC's walking backwards, randomly just appearing and carrying crates sideways.  Story is decent, but not a patch on II.

The question is, do I play Rogue and finish the final Assassin's Creed game in what's available on PS4 (going from II to Odyssey) or take a break.

8 hours ago, Jimbob said:

The question is, do I play Rogue and finish the final Assassin's Creed game in what's available on PS4 (going from II to Odyssey) or take a break.

It depends if you are feeling burnt out by them. If not then just plough through your final game. Will you be starting it again or just picking up where you left off?

I love AC: Rogue The game is brilliant but was sadly overshadowed by AC: Unity and many people passed on it due to it being stuck on the PS3/360 for so long.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Forgot to post this last night, but the dreaded Spider Guardian boss fight finally went up on my Youtube last night.

It turns out I've been tagging this LP slightly wrong on Twitter too, as adding an additional tag in the Twitter posts has contributed to an improved view count which is sweet.

But yeah the first time I faced the Spider Guardian I died so many times, and then had to endure the bad checkpointing up until that point when I just wanted to face the Spider Guardian again. Since on the Gamecube you don't have the Spring Ball, the timing and precision needed to beat the Spider Guardian is so much tighter on Gamecube than it is on Wii.

Also:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It depends if you are feeling burnt out by them. If not then just plough through your final game. Will you be starting it again or just picking up where you left off?

I love AC: Rogue The game is brilliant but was sadly overshadowed by AC: Unity and many people passed on it due to it being stuck on the PS3/360 for so long.

I wasn't too far in, checked last night and i just got my Templar attire.  Think i'll continue on where i left off whilst III is still fresh in my mind, then that'll be the final one (i still have Odyssey to finish, think i'll wait until summer to finish this one) available on PS4.  I still kind of hope they bring the 1st to the modern consoles, but i'd not mind if they don't.

Same as you, i liked Rogue for what it was, it was definitely overshadowed by Unity (again, a decent game once the bugs were mostly fixed (and by that, the faces stayed on).  I felt it more enjoyable at the time as i just finished Black Flag and was hungry for more, Rogue filled the hunger.  Plus, it was nice to see the world through the eyes of the Templars over the Assassins (and i wish Ubi would do something similar again).

• Like 1

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again 

Spoiler

After playing 200+ stages in the last game, I surprisingly still had the itch to play more Mario vs Donkey Kong. That being the case, I decided to snap up the DSiWare game that was released. I never played this when it was released, in fact, despite owning a DSi back in the day, I think this is the first DSiWare game that I've owned.

I thought the game would be more of the same, and it is to an extent, but there are a fair few changes to some gameplay elements. 

There is a life system in place in this version of the game and I'm not too sure I care for it. These types of games do require a bit of trial and error and having a player lose a life for simply restarting a stage is a bit rough. You can obtain more and I never actually ran out but having that extra bit of stress hanging over my head whilst playing wasn't appreciated.

The girders that were used in the previous game I played no longer play a part here. Instead, in order to lay a path forward, you must place separate blocks around the stage. It can be quite tricky at times, especially on the later stages. You sometimes have to be quick enough to place blocks in front of you and then quickly grab the ones behind to use again. I played most of the game by picking up one at a time. It wasn't until late on that I realised I could pick up and place multiple ones all at once. Oops. :p 

For such a small game there was plenty on offer here. There are 100 levels to complete. You get the first ending by simply finishing the game, the second ending by finishing Plus Mode and the last set of bonus stages are unlocked by grabbing gold stars, the last of which not opening until you have 99 gold stars. Completing this newly unlocked stage will give you your final star in the game and one on your profile.

A great little touch, and one that I failed to mention when I done the write up for the previous game, is the little voice sample that occurs when you are playing the game and then put your DS/3DS in sleep mode. Do this and Mario will tell you to get back to playing or ask where you are going. Once you reopen it he will then greet you and say something like "Welcome back!". It's incredibly charming.

The game lasted me a good 10 hours and I REALLY enjoyed my time with it. So much so that I have neglected to play on Pokemon Mystery Dunegon since picking this up. I would like to say that I'll get back to playing that but I'm now eying up copies of Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 on eBay, as well as having a gander at the one that was released on the 3DS eShop. The series has clearly got a hold of me and I'll have to be careful not to burnout on the whole thing. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again 

Competition Pics (Reveal hidden contents)

Sorry for the nitpick, but did you mean "Completion"?

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Sorry for the nitpick, but did you mean "Completion"?

Nah. I entered a competition and in order to compete I had to 100% the game and provide photo evidence.....is anyone buying into this? Have I gotten away with it? :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. I entered a competition and in order to compete I had to 100% the game and provide photo evidence.....is anyone buying into this? Have I gotten away with it? :D 

Like the old N64 magazine ranking system where you had to complete certain games in certain ways (or high scores etc) to get on their leaderboards, the original achievements! 😎😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Like the old N64 magazine ranking system where you had to complete certain games in certain ways (or high scores etc) to get on their leaderboards, the original achievements! 😎😂

Exactly! :laughing:

I loved those challenges. I did complete a few of them ( usually the ones where you had to 100% a game, rather than the time trial ones ) but I never actually entered them officially. Saying that, I did enter a competition in the Official Nintendo Magazine that involved getting a high score in the Likitung mini game on Pokemon Stadium. I didn't win but I did get my name in the magazine. :D 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Exactly! :laughing:

I loved those challenges. I did complete a few of them ( usually the ones where you had to 100% a game, rather than the time trial ones ) but I never actually entered them officially. Saying that, I did enter a competition in the Official Nintendo Magazine that involved getting a high score in the Likitung mini game on Pokemon Stadium. I didn't win but I did get my name in the magazine. :D 

Duuuuuuude! I entered that one too! What the hell!?

• Like 1

I got my name in the N64 magazine once (not for winning a competition, it was on the letters page), and they spelled my name wrong. Fuckers.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bob said:

I got my name in the N64 magazine once (not for winning a competition, it was on the letters page), and they spelled my name wrong. Fuckers.

OK, Bab.

• Haha 4

I had a letter in N64 magazine too. Unfortunately it was in the bonus letters section, the one where they take a line or two out of your letter and print it out of context so you look like a clown 👌😩

I had a letter in N64 magazine too. Unfortunately it was in the bonus letters section, the one where they take a line or two out of your letter and print it out of context so you look like a clown
Please tell me you were the 'One nit when i was sleppin a grackler cam' person.
  • Haha 2

Delayed the post here to give the last episode so more time, so here is Part 26, complete with one of the more appropriate thumbnails for the series:

This is as far as I've actually recorded right now, due to a laptop issue I have not recorded any further over the possibility of not having laptop access to continue and upload.

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Duuuuuuude! I entered that one too! What the hell!?

I've just checked and I still have that issue!

ES7-HzxXQA44cOP?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've just checked and I still have that issue!

ES7-HzxXQA44cOP?format=jpg&name=large

Ireland generally sucks at Pokémon Stadium Mini-games.

Who knew?

• Thanks 1

Finished Super Mario Maker 2's story mode.

Very lackluster. Still, some nice introductions to several mechanics. Will definitely help me with creating levels further down the line.
Will I complete every level available in story mode? Maybe, maybe not. Not in the near future.

Bought The Bridge for 1.50€ and finished the first chapter. 

Not a bad puzzle game so far. Love the asthetic and M. C. Esher style puzzles. Movement could be a bit faster, though.

Edited by drahkon

On 12.3.2020 at 10:39 PM, drahkon said:

Bought The Bridge for 1.50€ and finished the first chapter. 

Finished half of it and it's not good. The puzzles are ok (at best), but they are ruined by the incredibly slow movement of everything. This is definitely a game that I can't/won't finish because I'd be bored out of my mind.

Soooo...

I decided to give Blaster Master Zero yet another chance
Here we go...

The game poses no challenge at all. I'm not trying to brag, I think it's objectively easy for the following reasons:

• The majority of enemies do not actively engage you. They are either stationary and only start attacking when you're close or they move around randomly. The latter can be easily avoided or killed. Given that you only have range attacks, picking off stationary enemies without any other danger around is piss easy (especially once you get the heat-seeking missile).
  • The dungeons stop being challenging in any way once you've upgraded your weapon, which happens very quickly; the final upgrade is ridiculously OP. 
  • Platforming has almost no dangers involved. You come across the occasional spikes but avoiding them is trivial.
  • One of my pet peeves in gaming: Stepping on a moving platform, waiting for them to reach their destination, stepping off and then walking on to the next moving platform...can you really call this gameplay?

So far I haven't even come close to dying.

Now here's my question: WHY THE FUCK CAN I NOT STOP PLAYING THIS TIME AROUND? :D

I stopped playing it a while ago after 2 hours of playtime. And today I've played 2 hours straight without taking a break. It's easy as hell but there's something to it. I don't know what it is and I won't question it. Such a weird game. I usually get bored with games that are not challenging to me.

Anyway, reached Area 7. Seems like I'm close to the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, about a quarter of the way at least. It's tons of fun. Loads of collectibles but they've managed to make them interesting/fun. Enjoying the lower emphasis on combat, only done a few challenge tombs but again, lots of fun 

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

I decided to give Blaster Master Zero yet another chance

Finished it, true ending and all.

Even though I somehow couldn't put the game down this morning, I don't like it. The "on foot parts" are horrible, the other parts are ok at best.

Sorry, @Hero-of-Time. Don't shoot me :p 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 

Rescue Team DX 

content-2-36180-pokemonmysterydungeonrescueteamdxsidebox.jpg

Another review written, another excuse to add to my Gaming Diary.

I'm still playing it, mind. Filled in just over half of those question marks on the Title Menu.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Downloaded Metroid Fusion (Wii U VC) recently. Played it quite a bit while I was waiting for the right time to be able to resume recording for the Prime 2 Let's Play.

I've gotten quite far through the game, having already visited all the areas in the game and obtained the Power Bombs. I returned to the ship recently and now need to track down a certain generator to restore functionality to the doors and lifts.

That being said, I think playing this game during this time may have been a mistake. It's raising anxiety levels at a time when anxiety levels are going to be at an all time high. Shame really. If my anxiety reduces I might come back to this game but who knows how long it's going to take to defeat this virus? For all we know we could be living under quarantine for the next year or so!

Video games are supposed to be a form of escapism but it looks like choosing your form of escapism is also important.

• Thanks 1