NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Aperson

Game of the Decade

Well, barring any sudden all time classics getting released in the last 10 days of the year we are at the end of a gaming decade.

The 2010s have seen gaming become more popular and more widespread than ever before but at the same time the enhancement in technology has lead to scummier and scummier business practises as more companies have tried to exploit us for profit. In spite of that though there have been many great games released this decade so the big question is which was the best game this decade?

Here are my personal picks for the games that came out this decade that I enjoyed the most:

Xenobalde Chronicles

This is a game that I passed on when it was first released but later on gave another try after realising I might have just missed out on an all time classic. Played it and it's right up there with the Final Fantasy series in terms of story, in some ways it's even better. It's a very long game but the narrative is so compelling that you always want to progress to find out what happens next... and then it just keeps getting better from there. Some of these cutscenes really stick out in your memory. The gameplay is also very solid, modernising the RPG to a more involved combat system and having zero random encounters amid a truly explorable world, albeit one that it feels like you are exploring just to have every location on the map. The game sadly falls a bit short on sidequests as while there are a lot of them they are all bland and generic with the exception of one major sidequest.

NieR: Automata

I must admit I had never really played anything by Platinum before playing this unless you count Okami and gave this a try on a whim. Yeah, this is a stone cold classic, kind of similar to Xenoblade in many aspects except for how this pushes it's storytelling into the gameplay a bit more. The visual design is very solid and clearly intentional, the rather different way of storytelling done in this game leads to an interesting experience, the combat is solid with some pretty involved boss battles and the soundtrack is fantastic. If you missed out on this game I highly encourage you to give it a go.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I always thought I picked a good time to play the Donkey Kong Country series for the first time, prior to this decade starting, since the series got a welcome follow up series this year from Retro Studios. DKCR came out and started to make the New Super Mario Bros series feel obsolete, the level design was a lot more imaginative and the game as a whole felt more challenging. While I loved DKCR, Tropical Freeze made it feel obsolete. The more streamlined world structure, the return of David Wise doing the music and the incorporation of his music into the level design, as well as a lot more branching paths to take with secret exits in the levels makes this feel like the pinnicle of 2D platforming. The game's re-release on the Switch allows more people to have access to it and the only real complaint about the game is that the extra characters are inbalanced and subsequently feel obsolete. This isn't too much of an issue when playing.

Super Mario Odyssey

All the 3D Mario games have been great this decade, but for me Super Mario Odyssey is the strongest one. While Galaxy 2 and 3D World are still great with their linear level design, Super Mario Odyssey's return to the more open level style of 64 and Sunshine makes it the best one for me. Not only that but they expanded upon Mario's classic moveset and gave him a lot more versatility. The game recognises that it's on far more powerful hardware than before and gives us the largest levels in the series' 3D history. There's more to collect than ever before and the game takes a leaf out of Banjo-Kazooie's book by letting you stay in the level after you collect Moons. But most importantly of all this game just feels so fun to play. It's one of those games you can pick up and play and have a good time doing so.

Undertale

This game might be more well known for it's overbearing and overzealous fanbase these days but Undertale is one of the most defining indie games released this decade. It is genuinely a good game with some design decisions that really get you involved in playing it. The characters are so compelling and the idea of turning the RPG system on it's head and giving you the choice of how you want to play makes it feel so fresh. I also appreciate how the game is full of callbacks to classic RPGs like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger but done in a more humorous way. Yes, internet culture and Megalovania may have been a key part in how Sans eventually got into Smash Bros but would so many people have become fans of the game if it wasn't a great game in the first place?

Dark Souls

When it comes to gaming innovation and taking things to the next level I feel like one game has succeeded where others have failed and that is Dark Souls. Probably one of the most defining and impactful games of the decade, it brought back a challenge at a time where games were getting easier and easier to complete. But while I have not finished this game myself, you kind of do the game a bit of injustice by only describing the difficulty. It is far from an old school game in 3D although it does lean towards the likes of Metroid for it's interconnected world map, Dark Souls has an element to the game that took advantage of the modern age by always being online. You can help other players by leaving messages behind for them or jump into someone else's save file and help them take down a difficult boss. Or you could just hang about online invading other people's games and abusing cheap fire magic to kill unsuspecting players who just want to try and progress in the game and steal all their souls >.>. It's a game that's worth persevering through in spite of it's high difficulty as the world is interesting and it's something you really want to learn more about.

Dark Souls raised the bar for gaming and is going to be remembered as a stone cold classic for years to come.

Pokemon Sun/Moon

This decade saw Pokemon go full on annualisation mode with only 2015 not having a mainline Pokemon game released. Of the numerous releases this game was my favourite. Black/White raised the bar for storytelling in a Pokemon game and while it's debateable whether this game has a better storyline than Black/White, the change in structure to allow for such a story makes this game stand out from the rest of the series. The Pokemon designs introduced in this generation are some of my favourites that have been introduced with Pokemon like Rowlet, Decidueye, Rockruff and Bewear. Soundtrack is top quality work with the Champion theme being one of the best in the series and tunes like Mount Lanakila, Vast Poni Canyon, Konikoni City, Mali City, Gladion's Theme, Guzma's battle theme and many more... Unfortunately the game is not without it's issues, the opening hours are a bit handholdy, the character's face is expressionless, Festival Plaza is too cumbersome compared to other game's online features and the call for help mechanic is unfortunately a bit too annoying but aside from the last one none of those really bothered me. It was probably the most invested I got into a Pokemon game for a long time.

Marvel's Spider-Man

One series I started playing this decade was the Batman: Arkham series. I had never been too big a fan of Batman but after hearing good things about the games on other systems I picked up Arkham City and played through that. Yeah, this is a very solid series, with a kind of Zelda/Metroid element to it with collectable upgrades as you progress that allow you to do more things while the combat feels satisfying. That being said... I was always a bigger fan of Spider-Man than Batman. I had never finished Spider-Man 2 the previous decade and that was a game widely considered to be one of the best Spider-Man games ever made which is some going for a movie tie-in. It's Pizza theme is internet infamous to this day. When they revealed this game I did become interested in it but I wasn't sure if it was a game I was going to ever paly. Well I did and... it's great. Takes a few cues from the Arkham games but I honestly feel the fighting styles are a lot more different between the two games. Spider-Man is just naturally able to do so much more with wall launches to take down enemies. Swinging around just feels so fun too and unlike Spider-Man 2 this game isn't hamstrung by a film's plot and can do what it wants. And while you can predict some of the twists, the way the characters are portrayed kind of makes you not want them to happen even though they are probably going to happen. Given the game is by Insomniac (hey, that's a company's work that I really got into this decade!) it is naturally rather amusing with Spider-Man being the perfect launchpad for such a style to work. There's DLC that I've yet to play for this game... perhaps in the next decade I can get to it!

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

At last, the long awaited Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes arrived and they were worth the wait. The games somehow improved upon a game that was considered the best entry in it's series at the time of release, adding so many new features. They really went above and beyond with these games and it shows that perhaps Game Freak were at their peak in quality when designing these games. Incorporating Pokemon Crystal aspects into SoulSilver while vastly improving upon the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum engine to deliver it, restored dungeons that weren't in the original game, brand new routes including the return of the Safari Zone, a fantastic remixed soundtrack that really took Pokemon music to the next level and they even incorporated evolutions which were introduced in later games into the Johto Pokedex so for instance, if you caught a Swinub in Ice Path you could evolve it all the way into a Mamoswine before the Pokemon League. Nothing much else to say really, they made a classic even better.

Pokemon Black/White

These were the games that changed so much and risked it all, but the pay off made for one of the most compelling Pokemon games we've ever had. Team Plasma were just a lot more interesting than previous teams with a goal that played into the ideology behind Pokemon by asking if it's right for people to keep them. The rivals have better ongoing storylines than previously and the whole truth and ideals theme worked really well to greatly improve the series' writing. In any other game, having a rival who wants to become the Champion is a given... this game decides to ask this rival "what will you do after becoming champion?". Sure, the game meanders a bit and in trying to make Team Plasma so involved in the game's story you have to do a lot more odd jobs for trying to stop them as they are always involved in something major between each gym. The game's climax though... kudos to them for shaking it up a bit and delivering something unexpected. I kind of feel like Sword and Shield tried to do everything in it's finale and kind of lacked the focus that these games have.

So yeah, these are my favourite games from the last 10 years but... I'm sure other people will have vastly different picks so go ahead. One particular Zelda game I didn't include on this list after all..

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GenericAperson said:

So yeah, these are my favourite games from the last 10 years but... I'm sure other people will have vastly different picks so go ahead. One particular Zelda game I didn't include on this list after all..

Well, you had to make room for all those Pokémon games somehow.

You know, HeartGold/SoulSilver only counts because we live in Europe. Just three months after this decade started.

And a good thing too, because it's amazing.

Edited by Glen-i

Ok then, got my list:

Spoiler

I was never a big Tomb Raider guy growing up, I played some of the first few but that was it. This reboot though immediately grabbed me. The main story may not have been amazing but I thought they did great character work with Lara, really making you care about her. Plus that damn bow was so fun to use. I just finished a replay a month or so ago and barely switched from it.

2ks7.gif

Spoiler

Pokemon Go ended up being exactly what I wanted from a Pokemon game. I've tried playing most of the games in the main series but only ever completed two of them because I got bored of the same bland stories but with Go I could just go out every day and fuel that collectors itch. I still go out for a walk around the town everyday at lunch during work.

source.gif

Spoiler

It's a shame that I don't think they managed to keep the high quality for the other seasons but that first season of the Walking Dead game was incredible. The gutwrenching storytelling and characters were just top notch. Telltale maybe went a bit overboard reusing the style etc afterwards with a lot of their other games but we still got some gems from those as well.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

God I spent so many hours in this game. None of the previous Elder Scrolls games really clicked with me but this one I was all in immediately. The scope of the world was really impressive and I used to enjoy just wandering around, seeing what I came across that day (usually a giant ready to beat the shit out of me).

AlarmingFlakyGoldfish-small.gif

Spoiler

Sleeping Dogs is probably my favourite GTA-style game of all time, and that includes all the GTA games. The setting, the characters, the story, the violence, graphics, city design just all came together perfectly. I've bought and completed this game multiple times on multiple systems. Such a shame we never got a sequel.

tumblr_nha1hxfF8q1r7sijxo1_500.gifv

Spoiler

Another game I spent so many hours playing. The mod scene for this game kept it fresh for me in a way that few games have over the years.

....I miss the old N-E server

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I had tried playing the previous Witcher games on PC but if I remember right my PC at the time struggled with them. The Witcher 3 however I got on console and just played it non-stop. This is how you build a world and keep it interesting. Everything felt like it had a place, everywhere you went it felt like there was a story behind it or the characters that were living there. With the series just releasing on Netflix it's inspiring me to go back and start another game.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

I feel like I'm maybe cheating here a bit as the original Persona 4 came out on PS2 in 2008 but I don't really care as I love this damn game. Sticking with these characters through the murder mystery and then throwing in just their everyday life stuff really gave you a connection to what was going on. It became an obsession of mine for a while, playing the games, watching the anime, collecting any merchandise I could.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

This was a tough decision as I tend to flip flop between which I prefer, ME2 or P4 but today at least ME2 wins out. I actually started with this one before ME1 (as I played it on PS3 which didn't get ME1 until much later). The entire universe Bioware built is one of my favourites in all of fiction. I lapped it all up, going everywhere I could, reading everything I could, doing every side mission I could and I need more dammit!

Oh and the Normandy SR2, you sexy ship you!

ScientificAnguishedEasternnewt-size_rest

Spoiler

I don't think I've been this hooked on a game since the original Mario Bros on the NES. Spelunky to me is just the perfect game. The controls are so tight, the randomness of the dungeons each time keeps me engaged and I absolutely cannot wait until the sequel comes out so I can start learning all the secrets all over again. According to Steam (which is not the only platform I play it on) I have put in 1878 hours and I have no intention of slowing down at all. This is the game that I always go back to.

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Halo Reach (2010)
Marvel's Spider-Man (2018)
Hotline Miami (2012)
Animal Crossing New Leaf (2012)
FTL (2012)
Metal Gear Solid V (2016)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
Destiny 2 (2017)
God of War (2018)
GTA 5 (2013)
Portal 2 (2011)
Bioshock Infinite (2013)
Batman Arkham City (2011)

Edited by Happenstance
  • Thanks 2

My top games in no particular order. Also, I can't be arsed to do 10, so I'll just keep going until I cover them all.

Shenmue 3
The fact that it exists at all is enough in itself, the fact that it exists in the form that it does it is just incredible. They took the insane decision to update it just enough to bring in some modern conveniences, but generally leave it exactly as it was on the Dreamcast. Lot of games claim to be "for the fans" but I feel Shenmue 3 truly was, even if it potentially alienated any newcomers with it's archaic gameplay.

Red Dead Redemption 2
Absolutely the best storytelling and game world in my opinion. The way the story plays out was just great and combined with the stunning scenery and music makes it one of the best examples of mature storytelling.

Persona 4: Golden and 5
I'm going to lump them into one, as they're basically great for the same reason. Awesome story, characters and style. Persona 4 has the better story and characters and Persona 5 has the better style and music, but both are amazing.

Nier: Automata
I don't think I've ever played a game with gameplay this good before or since. Just moving around the world was fun in itself, especially when combined with the great soundtrack. The story got a little bit "anime" at times, but there were some great moments (poor Pascal) littered throughout.

The Witcher 3
The first game I got on the PS4 and probably my favourite fantasy RPG. Consistently great in all areas and filled with loads of interesting side missions and stories. May have to go back and play it again now that the series is out on Netflix.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)
Cheating a bit, as it's a remake of a 2005/2006 game, but it's still a great game and from what I've read, the PS4 version is the version it always deserved. I just love the setting and the way the story plays out. There's a certain sadness and loneliness to it that makes it a really memorable experience.

Pokemon Go
Mainly just for the sheer phenomenon of it. I remember walking around town playing it and always being able to see at least one other person playing, wherever I went. I even had an old guy who was stood outside his shop, wishing me good hunting. For the first month or so, it was like actually being in a Pokemon game, with the whole world apparently obsessed with Pokemon.

• Thanks 2

I've enjoyed a lot of games this decade, but I'm only including ones that've really made me feel something or meant something to me personally.  I'll do mine in chronological order, although coincidentally, the last one is also my favourite:

Dragon Quest IX (DS, 2010)

The sequel to Dragon Quest VIII was not quite what I was expecting, but I came to adore it nonetheless.  Once I'd made my team of four - Gra, Dave, Kate, Nigel - I went on to spend 900 hours accompanying them through this brilliant adventure.  I'd come in from work and comb the game's notorious Grottoes, hoping to find Metal King Slimes and the ultimate S-Rank equipment.  Then, we'd take on the DLC bosses, which you'd have to fight until they were level 99, and them beat them at their strongest.  Along the way, you'd probably also have reached level 99 yourself in all the game's many different vocations... Dragon Quest IX was epic.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DSi, 2011)

When this was released, the idea of downloading games for consoles was relatively new - in fact, this was considered expensive at around £12 - but something about it greatly intrigued me.  From the glowing reviews, I could see it was a "monster world" style game, which instantly took me back to playing Dragon's Trap round my friend's, or Wonder Boy in Monster World on my own Mega Drive.  Stylistically, though, Shantae was something else.  Jake Kaufman's score was absolutely stunning - we are used to various remixes of his wonderful work by now, but at this point it still had a raw brilliance to it.  The graphics, too, were outstanding.  Even compared to its direct sequel, I've never seen a piece of 2D software so perfectly matched to the hardware, with the most fantastic array of pixel art tailored precisely to the DSi's screen resolution.  It's not a long game, and I wouldn't argue against the sequel being better, but Risky's Revenge sure was a piece of art. 

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2013)

Of all the brilliant games released on the 3DS, this one came to embody everything that the handheld was about.  I had briefly tried the GameCube original, but didn't stay for long, and for some reason the 3DS version was where it all came together for me.  The idea of coming in from work and exploring my village at night, knowing that'd it'd be different depending on the day and hour was magical.  For ages, I'd crawl around hoping to find certain fish and insects.  It really was a kind of alchemy.  New Leaf particularly made use of the social aspect, and I remember swapping items with fellow N-Europers, being particularly keen to collect the "Sleek" set of furniture.  Despite all this, I actually have very mixed feelings about Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  On a personal level, Summer 2013 was absolutely terrible for me, and AC: New Leaf represents the precise turning point between the good times and the bad.  Rationally, though, I know I cannot blame the game, and choose to remember it as the piece of digital magic that it was.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS, 2015)

It may be repetitive to have two games from the same series on my list, but I cannot relegate Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.  Living up to Risky's Revenge was a tall order, and indeed, it does re-use a lot of sprites (zoomed out to better suit the 3DS), but this 3rd game in the series had so much care put into it, most gamers have it down as the best so far.  Whereas RR is controversial for its brevity, this one is definitely a full-length game.  Pirate's Curse ditches the interconnected "monster world" formula and replaces it with a level select that transports you to different zones, each containing a chunk of overworld and a Metroid-style dungeon.  Crucially, though, it is not too simplified, and I think a lot of fans would like to go back to this style.  Tonally, Pirate's Curse is rather naughty at times, with some of the jokes gobsmackingly rude if you think about them long enough.  We live in a much more neutered society nowadays, and therefore this game is even more a rare gem of its time.

Dragon Quest XI (Switch, 2019)

Finally, the game I'd waited a decade to play.  With a glorious 3D environment and an incredible plot, the beloved world of Dragon Quest VIII was back.  It was actually so good, I couldn't believe I was playing it at times, or that someone had once again made something so fine.  The story, locations and characters are etched into my mind in a way that few other RPGs can manage.  True to the times, it is toned down a little bit compared to VIII, but the gameplay is as great as ever.  Whatever the future of gaming, as long as there are those who appreciate something as good as this, we can rest assured that, occasionally, someone will produce a game as genuinely great as DQ XI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We discussed this in the Smashing Cast a bit, but it's still hard to compile a list. It's been a stupendous decade for games, with a lot of ups and downs, with the industry changing a lot throughout. In fact, looking through each year, it's hard to gather a shortlist for each year, even (2013 and 2017 are crazy good years!)

This might sound weird, but making a Top 10 list helps with gathering my thoughts, so that's what I'm doing.

Honourable Mentions (in no particular order):

• To the Moon set the emotional bar for what a story-based game should be for me, and I think I still unconsciously compare such games to this one;
  • Portal 2 is not an impressive puzzle game, but it is an impressive "cinematic" style of game, a good marriage of fun plot and great mechanics. Whenever I see a game like The Last of Us or the new God of War, I keep thinking whether they can reach the likes of Portal 2;
  • Fire Emblem Heroes and Binding of Isaac are incredibly fun, well made, well designed games, where you can just lose hours improving your skills/units and tackling the greatest challenges. They manage to be the best at that, each in their own way;
  • The Deponia trilogy wasn't just a delightful return to the wacky point&click games of yore, it was a cohesive trilogy that actually felt like it ought to be one. And it got better with each entry, too;
  • Fire Emblem Awakening was a really good tactical RPG, and a symbol of my return to one of my favourite series;
  • Huniepop was the craziest and most polished fusion of genres I've ever seen, while also somehow becoming the best dating sim I've ever played. I'm still surprised by how much I love this game, honestly;
  • Dark Souls and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are decade-defining games, but also titles I haven't played yet. By all means, they sound like titles I would enjoy, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Regardless, I should honourably mention them.

Spoiler

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

a0b81c05aeace002329da903ecaad34f4b5238dd

As far as "comfort food" games go (you know, the ones that don't reinvent the wheel or anything, they just do a traditional formula really well), I think Link Between Worlds was the best. Tough competition with Fire Emblem Awakening, but it's clear LBW is more focused, polished, and overall snappier and more fun. Really good game all around.

Spoiler

Bastion

220px-Bastion_Boxart.jpg

Starting with games that really touched me, Bastion does a lot - and I mean a lot - right. Excellent art style, even better soundtrack, and some legitimately fun and varied hack&slash gameplay. What pushes this game into one of the greats, though, is what it does with its plot, the message it brings, and how well it incorporates all of it into gameplay. Sure, it's not new, but the marriage of all of these elements make for a really special game.

Spoiler

Doki Doki Literature Club

Capa.jpg

Reading poetry is so much fun!

But seriously, this game was something really special. It unsettled me in ways that no game had done before, and I think it should be a legit reference in its genre. Even beyond that, I love how there's substantial depth to the characters and details that conversation about the game is just as engaging as the game itself.

Maybe I don't need to omit what the game's hiding anymore, but dangit, on the off chance that someone doesn't know yet, you really should play this diamond.

Spoiler

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

fab1b64b9c2e254da8af782859fb2b37640ab228

I still adore this game. I don't care about its supposed flaws, this is some of the best presentation (artwork, music, voice acting, etc.) I've ever seen in a piece of media. Being a fan of the genre, I welcome the difficult maps, and the ways you can circumvent such oppressing obstacles. The writing (or translation thereof) is amazing, and the hiccups don't detract from the overall point. When the final map starts, I get literal chills.

It's criminal how overlooked this title is. "The one before Three Houses is Fates, right?" is a sentence that kills me every time I hear it.

Spoiler

Ghost Trick

IMG_0402-e1499799173232.png

Words fail me whenever I try to describe this game. I can tell you how good it looks and sounds, how the writing is so good, how every cog in this game just works like a well-oiled machine... but Ben Moore of the Easy Allies recently did that better than I ever could:

I'll just add something more: the end goal for this wacky journey is totally worth it.

Spoiler

Mark of the Ninja

7228-mark-of-the-ninja.jpg

Still surprises me, how much I like this stealth game, but... when it's this good, I can't deny the truth. It's one of the slickest games I've ever played, from the way you "see" sounds (including your own), to the bullet time mechanic, to crazy stuff you can pull off with items, to the way you can terrify guards, and even how the plot is handled, everything feels perfect. Everything you do here makes you feel like a badass, or a ghost, or a monster: It's your choice, since you tackle each level like you want to, and you get rewarded regardless (instead of being penalized for too many casualties, or not enough). Controls work surprisingly well once you get used to them, and it's got quite possibly the best Hard Mode I've ever seen in a videogame (blurring the entire screen except your character's line of sight? Holy shit, what a great concept).

Fun fact, this was the first game I played on Steam. So far, only one other game on that platform managed to surpass it.

Spoiler

Freedom Planet

freedom-planet_2.jpg

I still adore this game, even if the fabled DLC never came... and the sequel keeps getting delayed... But nevermind that! This is the little fangame that could! The game that got SEGA butts into gear, the game that's some of the best platforming fun I had in ages!

It's got excellent music, varied mechanics, charming looks, and great level design, but I don't need to keep repeating myself: rather, the more I think about this game, the more I feel like replaying it. God, I love this era of Indie games.

Dangit, when's Freedom Planet 2 coming...?

Spoiler

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

jogo-playstation-3-tekken-tag-tournament

Long live the King of Iron Fist, baby. I like traditional fighting games too, you know? And as far as I'm concerned, Tekken Tag 2 carried the decade for me. I myself only played a little bit of it, but I spent a lot of time watching matches online. When I did play it, it was all I imagined it was: a smooth fighting game with the best cast in the series to date, great looking combos, visuals, stages, cool music, fantastic endings... This basically the "Ultimate" of the Tekken series. Even after playing T7, I still think this one's better.

Get Ready for the Next Battle

Spoiler

Sonic Mania

yPNFZIz.jpg

Sonic Mania breaks the laws of physiscs confirmed -Jonnas

...What, do you want me to say anything else? Yeah, Mighty and Ray are cool, don't want to forget them, no... But god, man, I can't gush over this game all over again! It's bad for my health!

Spoiler

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

NEp7KIrrhJGPfWfbG_VMOWjoU6AQhuFRvTD5sFz-

Like, duh, obvious choice. Legitimate candidate for my favourite game of all time. It's an instant classic. Everyone is here, I'm not snubbing it.

Looking at the list, there might be some recency bias at work... but then again, my gaming time was better in the second half of the decade, too.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'll be honest, your number 2 selection killed any desire I had for a sequel to number 4. I won't say which games they are and I really did like number 4 sans the story. But I feel that because 2 exists 4 loses some of it's novelty.

Had to search through the game libraries of the Xbox 360 and Wii because i couldn't remember what i played on those, and couldn't be bothered to go into the attic to check. Anyway, here's my top 10 in no particular order:

Spider-man (PS4)

Spider-man 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, and so the release of a new game that was said to have captured the feel of SM2 made me incredibly excited. Thankfully, the reviews weren't wrong, as Spider-man (PS4) was a fantastic game that I enjoyed every minute of (even the Mary Jane sections). I enjoyed it so much, that I was even compelled to play the game through twice to get the platinum; something which I am very rarely bothered to do. I am very much looking forward to the sequel now, which hopefully will have a sub-title so I don't have to refer to it all the time as Spider-man 2 (PS4).

Borderlands 2

One of, if not the best co-op games ever. My friend and I spent countless hours on this game, and all the subsequent DLC, killing, shooting, looting and laughing. It had many flaws, and definitely wasn't perfect, but the style and humour made it stand out and remain memorable many years later. 

Assassins Creed: Black Flag

This filled a pirate-shaped hole that I didn't know I had in me. I was already a fan of the AC games, and this one was ok in that respect, but it was the (pretty much completely separate) pirate aspect of the game that sold it to me. Sailing around in high storms; attacking merchant ships for loot; whaling; listening to sea-shanties; it was just fantastic. I also really loved the companion app that enabled you to build up a merchant fleet and trade to get money to use in the main game; something I wish more games did.

LA Noire

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. I love the setting, music, characters, gameplay and acting. I hate the interrogations. Unfortunately, the interrogations are a large part of the game, and almost completely ruin it. I remember getting almost apoplectic with rage towards the end of the game when I failed certain interview sections. There was simply no way of knowing what you were supposed to do during each question, and it ultimately boiled down to dumb luck in choosing the right answers. Fucking bullshit. Anyway, good game - hope there's a sequel on the cards.

Minecraft

I didn't play this game an awful lot (even though i owned it on three different formats), but it is undeniably one of the games of the decade. It has such compelling gameplay - here's an island; go explore, build whatever you want - that I keep returning to it just to start mining all over again.

Just Cause 2

I downloaded the demo for this on Steam, and played the absolute shit out of it. Then I bought the full game, and attempted to play the absolute shit out of that, but my laptop failed me. So I bought an Xbox 360 purely to play this game. I had an absolute riot in this game, it was so much fun. Sure, the story was wank, and the script was laughably bad, but the physics engine and gameplay were so gloriously fun to piss about in, that it didn't matter. 

Portal 2

Another brilliant co-op game, but also a great single player game too. I've heard it described as puzzle games boiled down to it's purest form. I wish they would make a third one.

Yakuza 0

Not a game I would have looked at twice on my own, but recommendations on here made me consider, then buy it, and I'm so glad I did. The gameplay is ok, albeit a bit repetitive, and the mini-games are pointless, but it's worth playing for the main story alone I think. The cast of characters is great, with some amazing villains (I was so happy when I got to punch turtle-neck in the face).

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Motherfucking. Robot. Dinosaurs.

Halo Reach

A brilliant single player campaign and an even better multiplayer - this was probably my most played game on my Xbox 360. The gun-play was incredibly satisfying, and the missions seemed infinitely replayable, with some great set-pieces. I loved it.

• Thanks 2

In no particular order, my top favourite games this decade:

Animal Crossing New Leaf - My first AC, I switched it on every single day for a year. What a treat.
Darkest Dungeon - Incredible atmosphere. Gameplay loop is tons of fun.
Hollow Knight - The best Metroidvania ever made. By far. Polished to perfection.
Breath of the Wild - Masterpiece. It was all anyone talked about for months, and for good reason. Made me feel like a kid again being presented with the original LOZ map. 
Super Mario 3D World - Yep, I said it. Prettier, more cohesive visuals than Odyssey, and I prefer it's more challenging brand of platforming.
Inside - I played this in one sitting and it was glorious. 
God of War - I thought it lost it's way a bit towards the end but still an incredible achievement.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Best openworld I've ever experienced, by far. Amazing voice acting. STUNNING visuals.
Shovel Knight - A modern remake of the best 8 and 16 bit action platformers. Great visuals, music and presentation.
Tearaway Unfolded - Tons of charm, a really memorable adventure game for me. 

Honourable mentions to: Celeste, Mass Effect 3, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario Odyssey

I am terrible at both remembering and ranking things but I want to give a shout out to Florence. No other game has had mechanics that made me say "oh shit that's so clever!" so I take that as a good sign. 

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

I'll be honest, your number 2 selection killed any desire I had for a sequel to number 4. I won't say which games they are and I really did like number 4 sans the story. But I feel that because 2 exists 4 loses some of it's novelty.

I can see where you're coming from, but to me, neither game negates the other. They scratch the same itch in different ways, and each brings their own specific set of challenges and tricks to learn. In fact, I want them to keep one-upping each other :heh:

For me this is GTA V, it has a wonderful story a well-known style and it is a complete package, from shooting to missions to racing everything was great. I also like COD: MW I know that it came out a bit later in the decade but it has great potential and became very popular in no time, that's why we have created this guide that should help old and new players to get better at the game and get higher FPS.

Edited by DannyYo

Our podcast goes live tomorrow and has the top 10 of the decade from myself, @nekunando and @londragon. Quite a fair bit of variation between us and a couple of surprises. Give it a listen!

• Like 2

Our podcast goes live tomorrow and has the top 10 of the decade from myself, [mention=318]nekunando[/mention] and [mention=8211]londragon[/mention]. Quite a fair bit of variation between us and a couple of surprises. Give it a listen!

I most certainly will, .

3 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Our podcast goes live tomorrow and has the top 10 of the decade from myself, @nekunando and @londragon. Quite a fair bit of variation between us and a couple of surprises. Give it a listen!

Probably worth listening to just to hear @nekunando try to think of ten new games he's enjoyed in the last decade.

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

3 hours ago, Magnus said:

Probably worth listening to just to hear @nekunando try to think of ten new games he's enjoyed in the last decade.

It was worryingly difficult :blank:

• Like 1

Here are our top 10s of the decade. Starts at 55:19.

Spoiler

Nick

10) Enter the Gungeon
9) Minecraft
8) Super Mario Odyssey
7) Xenoblade 2
6) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 
5) Stardew Valley
4) Splatoon
3) Hollow Knight
2) Rocket League
1) Breath of the Wild

Greg

10) Cuphead
9) Ghost Trick
8) Super Mario Odyssey
7) Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
6) Super Mario 3D World
5) Pilotwings Resort
4) Super Mario 3D Land
3) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2) Mario Kart 8 
1) Super Mario Galaxy 2

Lee
10) Nintendo Land
9) Monster Hunter 4
8) Mario Kart 8
7) Xenoblade 2
6) Wii Sports Club
5) Doom (2016)
4) Batman Arkham City
3) Splatoon 2
2) Super Mario Galaxy 2
1) Breath of the Wild

• Like 3

Pfew, this is a difficult one! I probably missed some games due to coming up with this list at work, and there are still a LOT of games I need to play from the last decade. But based on memory and a glance on my Steam list this is my Top 11 plus some honourable mentions*. Between brackets is the system I played it on, plus the year of release.

*subject to change as is with all lists I create :grin:

11. Battlefield 1 (PC, 2016)
What’s this, an EA game in my Top 11? Get out those pitchforks! But I really enjoyed my time with Battlefield 1. It was my first experience with a massive multiplayer shooter and running around in a 30v30 map while there are buildings collapsing, tanks rolling in and planes flying overhead.

10. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS, 2014)
While Tri got me into MH and still is my favourite from the series, 4 Ultimate improved on it in a lot of ways. The various locations, interesting new weapons and a better multiplayer, just to name a few. And the concept is still amazing, hunting behemoths to slaughter them to make snazzy outfits, who does not want that?

9. Civilization V (PC, 2010)
I thought I haven’t played Civ V that much, but my Steam library says 109 hours… In hindsight that seems about right, as games are long and the “okay, one more round” feeling is strong in this one. Just discovering all the different paths, options, units and structures is very satisfying, and after those 109 hours I feel I have still only scratched the surface as I hardly played the expansions. Maybe it is time for Civ 6!

8. BioShock Infinite (PC, 2013)
BioShock Infinite is a game I started because I heard good things about it, it was cheap on Steam and I needed a game to test my graphics card. What I got was an okay shooter, but with a story full of twists and turns that may be described as an emotional rollercoaster. I don’t often have WTF moments in games, but I had it at the end of Infinite.

7. Hollow Knight (Switch, 2017)
What a gem. A game where you can get completely lost in the world and which implements the metroidvania mechanics so well. The mood is awesome, supplemented by the graphics and the soundtrack.

6. Bayonetta 2 (Switch, 2014)
Never owning a WiiU means my first contact with Bayonetta was on Switch. loved the art direction (no, not talking about the skinny latex suits but the giant monsters from hell) from all the trailers. I reviewed the Bayonetta port for Switch, and decided I also had to get part 2. It’s just so much better than other action games I have played, that combat system is so fluent and rewarding when you keep chaining those attacks. And while a lot of people hate the cast, I’m actually liking the over the top characters.

5. Splatoon 2 (Switch, 2017)
Never owning a WiiU means my first contact with Splatoon was Splatoon 2. I already loved the artstyle of it, and when I got my Switch I knew I had to play this. I tried the demo and… couldn’t get into it. Hmm. But there were not that much titles on the Switch yet so I decided to just buy it. Best decision ever (well, almost). It’s such a great franchise, love the artstyle, love the music, the characters. My least favourite thing about Splatoon 2 is actually playing it haha, as I think it sometimes is just too chaotic and it doesn’t always feel precise when aiming. A lot of one-on-one duels just end in a double KO. For the rest? Awesome!

4. Tomb Raider (PC, 2013)
Contrary to @Happenstance I was a Tomb Raider guy, and played II, III, The Last Revelation and Chronicles. After that I kind of stopped following the series, and I think I once tried Legend as it was cheap on Steam). But then came the reboot and what a reboot it is! Young Lara is a great character to follow, and I love what they did with the trilogy. I’m currently playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider and while it may be the lesser of the new three, it just shows how good Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider are.

3. Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch, 2018)
What to say about this? It is the best Smash since Melee, and even better due to the insane list of characters, music, levels. Sakurai is a madman and I love him for it. I’m really curious to see what they are going to do with the second round of characters, and even more curious to see how they can ever progress with a new game in the series.

2. Starcraft II (PC, 2010)
I really thought the first part of Starcraft II (Wings of Liberty) was older than 10 years, but it’s not! If it would have been I would just have cheesed and put Heart of the Swarm here. :p Because I adore Starcraft II. It continues on what Starcraft did so well; have three different factions that play totally different but are very well balanced. The three single player campaigns are amazing, and I’m still booting it up now and then to try some more achievements or play some of the excellent co-op multiplayer. The story may be a bit messy, but the cast and cinematics easily make up for that.

1. Breath of the Wild (Switch, 2017)
It took me a while to see just how brilliant Breath of the Wild is. At first I had fun playing it, visiting shrines, doing sidequests and unlocking towers. But then it dawned on me just how amazing it is. Seeing one of those dragons in the sky made me realize that a lot more was happening in this world and then the exploration virus truly hit. As said in the N-E Café podcast, this is not the best Zelda game due to the lack of dungeons, traditional items etc, but it is the best exploration game.

Honourable mentions:

DOOM / Limbo / Axiom Verge / Rocket League / Resident Evil Revelations / Shovel Knight / Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse / Super Mario Kart 8 DeLuxe / Super Mario Galaxy 2 / Paladins / Pokémon X... I can go on for a while but just leave it at this!

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

9. Civilization V (PC, 2010)

I thought I haven’t played Civ V that much, but my Steam library says 109 hours… In hindsight that seems about right, as games are long and the “okay, one more round” feeling is strong in this one. Just discovering all the different paths, options, units and structures is very satisfying, and after those 109 hours I feel I have still only scratched the surface as I hardly played the expansions. Maybe it is time for Civ 6!

You know, out of curiosity, I just checked my own playtime in that game... 514 hours! I bought that game in 2013 and haven't touched it since 2015! Jesus, did I have free time back then! That game doesn't even have a campaign or anything to complete.

(and after all that playtime, I didn't even give it an honourable mention in this thread :heh: )

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Her Story, God of War, Red Dead 2, Tales from the Borderlands, Monument Valley, Assassins Crred Origins,

10 - Astro Bot Rescue Mission (VR)

The best platformer I've played this decade, just a total joy to play - every level brings more invention and the way the head movements and controller are integrated make it the best VR game I've played yet

9 - Breath of the Wild

A really wonderfully chill game - great memories of diving off a cliff with the sailcloth.. as someone said, I'm so jealous of 10 year olds getting to grow up on this game. Even if I never got round to actually finishing it..

8 - Banner Saga series

Beautiful Beautiful artwork alongside with memorable characters and choices, all wrapped up with tight isometric turn based gameplay

7 - What Remains of Edith Fitch

A fantastic, varied experience, and one that proved that two hours is more enough to encapsulate more ideas and emotion than most games manage in 80...

6 - Fortnite

Fortnite has a bit of a rep as a kids game, but it's some of the most fun I've had this decade, particularly with how contantly it's evolved - hopping back in to dick about with planes, boats and cars. Mostly it's on here as it's such a great social game, catching up with pals who live across the country looting away.

5 - Hyper Light Drifter

Feels like the game I've wanted for a decade - excellent evolution of the 2D Zelda games, great level of challenge, secrets, abstraction and depth. GF was quite glad when I finished it and stopped swearing at the TV..

4 - Inside

Triumph of art direction, super memorable and super spooky. Some of the moments are the most mad and memorable that I've seen in a game - the creepy underwater monsters, the mazing moments with the walls of sound.. stayed with me long after.

3 - Last of Us

Amazing atmosphere, story and acting, and importantly one that feels really cohesive with the gameplay too, matching the desperation of the characters with ad hoc situations, scrabbling around for guns and ammo

2 - Journey

Literally breathtaking, astounding art direction and beautiful to move around the world in, with an ending, me and another stranger battling the elements in the final passage, that I'll never forget

1 - Witcher 3

I've ranted and raved about this enough on this forum - but the Netflix show has reminded me what I love most about it - such an amazing collection inventive and twisted tales, packaged in what feels like a legit adventure. I'm still amazed it exists.

• Thanks 2

I love this topic, and it reminds me of some of the great games I’ve played (or not played!).   Limiting it to one per franchise & excluding updates of older games, here are ten of my favourites  (in year order):

Ghost Trick (DS, 2011)

A clever puzzler with a neat time-travel mechanic and enjoyable story.

Portal 2 (Various, 2011)

Improves on the scope & scale of its popular predecessor, with some really brain-melting solutions to puzzles & fantastic in co-op.

Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (3DS, 2012)

Clever, twisty-turny story involving friendship, loss, betrayal, an evil bunny & lots of deaths.

Tomb Raider (Various, 2013)

A brilliant revival for the series, with plenty of excellent action sequences that rarely let up.  Poor Lara - has the same luck as Jack Bauer!

Grand Theft Auto 5 (Various, 2013)

Huge in scope with so many action-packed missions. Not everything was a hit, but still plenty of enjoyable sequences throughout that mammoth world.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U, 2013)

Nintendo consistently deliver incredible 3D platforming, and these shorter but incredibly varied levels were an absolute delight to play, with some real challenge come the end.

Life is Strange series (Various, 2015)

A mature story of teenage life that grows into so much more & stays with you. Your decisions really do matter & affect the flow of the game.  This had me & my wife hooked throughout.

Pokemon Go (Mobile, 2016)

Showed that the behemoth that is the Pokemon franchise is still popular. It took over people’s lives, brought people together, meant people got exercise while playing video games, and drained the battery life of so many mobile phones!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U / Switch, 2017)

Epic!  An amazing world that held surprises around every turn.  Strange to think that there are so many things they could do to improve it, yet it was still such a joy to play & one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch, 2018)

Sakurai is right, there may never be another opportunity than this for so many popular gaming characters to appear together in one gaming universe that anyone can play. Whether the remaining DLC prove to be a disappointment or a joyous surprise, the development team have done an amazing job of bringing so many of them together (albeit to kick the snot of one another!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this