NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Damn, next-gen launch window. Imagine that means the rest of the games that aren't there yet are going to be coming to Xbox/Game Pass by then? 

8 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

If the Valhalla game play is the "big reveal" then Xbox Go Home 🙈

Knew I shouldn't have tempted fate 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Can't watch it. Anything good/exclusive that's interesting so far?

Nadda. No exclusives and everything appears to be cross gen. 

It's over already? I'm not sure it was worth putting this video out, TBH.

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Damn, next-gen launch window. Imagine that means the rest of the games that aren't there yet are going to be coming to Xbox/Game Pass by then? 

Gotta imagine that will be the case. 

• Thanks 1

Very disappointing - where was the gameplay in that Assassin's Creed video?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Nadda. No exclusives and everything appears to be cross gen. 

It's over already? I'm not sure it was worth putting this video out, TBH.

Yep.

I get it, you want to stay in people's minds...but Halo Infinite should really have been the big showcase of the Series X, not a third party game from a small team (nothing against them, but it's not what will get people on board). 

Way too soon to call it a misfire, but if all we're going to be getting until July with the Xbox Studios blowout is 20 minutes of games which, sure, have their audience, but aren't going to really push players to buy a Series X...I feel like they're dropping the ball. 

A poor first impression is still a first impression!

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Very disappointing - where was the gameplay in that Assassin's Creed video?

Exactly what I thought. I was like "Huh, that wasn't a transition cut to the interview section before we got to see some actual gameplay?". Just so weird. 

Nothing really jumps out and makes me think I have to get one of these anytime soon. The games definitely look nice but it doesn't seem like there is anything new to get excited about.

I also find it quite annoying so many of them are wearing giant headphones during this, seems very strange to me.

1 minute ago, will' said:

Nothing really jumps out and makes me think I have to get one of these anytime soon. The games definitely look nice but it doesn't seem like there is anything new to get excited about.

Same. The fact that the highlight for me is a release window for Yakuza 7 speaks volumes! 

I also find it quite annoying so many of them are wearing giant headphones during this, seems very strange to me.

Yep, that and the varying camera quality made it really odd for me. We know they're not in a Zoom chat recording this. Get better cameras to people, and let them just put an E3 stage as their background or something. Just borrow Cerny's podium! 

• Like 1

Malik "left speechless by the Dirt 5 reveal" 🤦‍♂️ pack it in, at least try not to be stupid about it! 

Call of the Sea and Yakuza were the only games that got me interested, and I've only downloaded 0 and Kiwami through game pass, haven't actually played them! 

I get you want the third party company's to get on board and make games for you, but they absolutely had to start with some big, big reveals like Halo or Perfect Dark or if third party Batman or whatever they're going with, not a game demo of a generic FPS that one person built.

Most games looked fairly drab and murky as well, nothing to shout about at all that'll set the world alight.

Most interesting thing was the Game Pass logo popping up frequently, seems to be games won't be exclusive but will be on Game Pass?

I'm not really sure what Microsoft had to gain from putting on this show. They've been on a roll so far with their announcements for the Series X and this is probably their first misfire. Showing off games that aren't built from the ground up for the console shouldn't be how you push the console. I'm just a little confused by it all. Why do this?

2 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Most interesting thing was the Game Pass logo popping up frequently, seems to be games won't be exclusive but will be on Game Pass?

I think what you said earlier is a good shout. Instead of using the money for 3rd party exclusives they appear to be using it to buy Game Pass games.

• Like 1

Yeah, that seemed like a total waste of time. I don't see how that can possibly add to their momentum toward launch, just seems very... meh. I guess they felt like they had to do something, but I think they'd have been better off just leaving it for a while until they really have something mind-blowing to show off.

The Medium could be cool and Scorn continues to look pretty but overall it was pretty lacklustre. All seemed very poorly thought through, as if they just threw it together overnight.

I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time but it definitely sets the Series X off on a weird footing with regards to game announcements. For sure, it wasn't the strongest showing out of the gate and while I wasn't expecting huge news, I was expecting a bit more than what they gave. But in terms of starting the ball rolling, its something. I know that won't be for everyone (or for pretty much everyone going by the responses around the web) but it does get some eyes on some of the smaller/more niche titles that'll be coming to the console early doors.

I did jokingly say to the missus that they'd done a Nintendo with that screen of all the third party studios bringing games to the console and not backing it up with showing games from them.

I think what they showed is something that's been cooking for a bit: that a lot of the games we'll see coming to both the Series X and PS5 in the initial launch window and beyond will most likely be cross generation. For a lot of developers, cutting off a substantial install base for what will be a restricted one on newer consoles isn't going to pay off. Attach rates will be low out the gate as console prices will be higher at market so I can see fewer games being bought around launch (I'm also expecting game RRPs to increase with the next generation of consoles from the £50-£55 tag currently to £60). Having more cross gen releases means developers can maximise profits on games, resulting in less risk out of the gate and gives consumers a leg up on a library for their new consoles when they release by offering smart delivery/upgrades to next gen versions free of charge.

For a lot of these developers, this will likely be their only time in the spotlight and Microsoft, at E3s past, has been good about shining light on smaller games. Very little here will blow anyone's mind but it may grab some additional attention to these titles for when they launch (and being Gamepass releases as some are will likewise help).

I'd agree they needed to show something that was purpose built for the Series X to start things off. Those games will obviously come, and Geoff Keighley's Summer Games Festival will likely bring one or two as well as one or two for the PS5, but a big first reveal for something that's next gen exclusive would've done a huge amount for creating some positive air around the showing and console.

It was an ok showing. No worse than say some of Nintendo's own recent Directs and no worse than a State of Play but it's not going to win anyone over with a middle of the road third party showing.

As for the games themselves, the stand out for me was Bloober Team's The Medium. Very much looks like they're going for that Silent Hills gap in the market, even going so far as to get the composer involved. Otherwise, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is already a purchase for me (especially as they're doing a smaller game this time, so less bloat compared to Odyssey) and Call of the Sea looked interesting enough. Even Scarlet Nexus looked interesting, though there's definitely some Astral Chain comparisons there.

An ok showing then. Not great but in terms of getting word out about smaller third party games, not bad either. Sony will undoubtedly blow it out of the water with their reveal (that will lead off with a Horizon/GoW/Spiderman sequel trailer to really show things off) but this was always going to be a smaller thing and it was fine for what it was. I get why people are disappointed and being dismissive but it's not all the console will have at launch or in the launch window so we'll see how things fare going forward.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

It was an ok showing. No worse than say some of Nintendo's own recent Directs and no worse than a State of Play but it's not going to win anyone over with a middle of the road third party showing.

The big difference here though is that Microsoft are pushing a brand new console and not just showing the line up for a console that's been out for a while. To be honest, outside of Sony's own games, I'd be very surprised if we see anything from them that was much different to what we saw here. Going by this showing it seems that 3rd parties either aren't ready for the next generation or are quite happy to continue to push the current gen consoles.

I've not been excited about this new generation of console at all and this showing just added to the lack of excitement. Here's hoping once the exclusives and big hitters start getting shown that my mood will change. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Julius said:

Just borrow Cerny's podium! 

lol.png

:laughing:

• Haha 1

We already knew a lot of this before, mostly from Digital Foundry coverage, but still, a massive selling point for many which can't be overstated.

This and the ramp up to next-gen that we're starting to see has actually got me thinking a lot about what could sell me on an Xbox Series X, and I'm not too sure what it could be, but I feel like there would be something.

Never played the Halo games in any meaningful way outside of some co-op at a friends' house, so while I'm very interested in checking the series out, Infinite and the old games aren't enough of a pull for me. Used to love my time with Forza, but not a selling point for me, though I am very intrigued by the idea of a potential Fable game developed by Playground (as someone who hasn't played any of the previous games, and only has a very limited awareness about them). 

Nintendo provides me with nostalgic fun, even for series that I'm experiencing for the first time; PlayStation's first party, mostly third-person narrative driven games and strong support from a variety of Japanese publishers is plenty for me; I'm just not sure what gap Xbox can fill, but I really feel like there could be something which could sell me besides they're great handling of backwards compatibility and the myriad of other great initiatives going on. 

Fingers crossed that something catches my eye come the Xbox Game Studios showcase in July! 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic that Xbox have done a great job with backwards compatibility, it's baffling to me that Sony can't figure it out, or don't care to.

Xbox's first party showcase will be make or break for a lot of people. Or they could drop a megaton and stop charging for online play, that would be huge if the consoles are priced similarly. The casual gamers will gladly jump ship, and they probably make up half of both Playstation and Xbox install-bases. 

For me,

- Nintendo offer a wide variety of genres, top notch quality, nostalgia and all that good stuff.

- Playstation is the big first party output, which is pretty much limited to third person adventure games, give or take, but that suits me because I love that genre.

- Xbox, well I only bought an X because of the power. Once that's reset to zero I'm not sure I have much need of them next gen, regardless of the fantastic moves they've been making outside of software output

Edited by Ronnie

I remember when Titanfall was coming out, I pre ordered the 360 version (because I had one) and the One version too (didn't have) just in case, in the end I went for the console bundled with the game, so it'll be interesting to see how things like this and the Smart Delivery work for the business side of things; from a customer friendly POV I would have loved to buy Titanfall 360 and then jump to the One and carry on my experience, so the fact you'll be able to do that with the Series X is great from a customer POV.

Just waiting on what the pricing structure will be for it to decide if I jump in or not straight away, it's good to know that if I want to get AC Valhalla for Christmas I could get it for my One and when I do upgrade to the Series X I won't have to start all over again or pay for the game again too.

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Fantastic that Xbox have done a great job with backwards compatibility, it's baffling to me that Sony can't figure it out, or don't care to.

Xbox's first party showcase will be make or break for a lot of people. Or they could drop a megaton and stop charging for online play, that would be huge if the consoles are priced similarly. The casual gamers will gladly jump ship, and they probably make up half of both Playstation and Xbox install-bases. 

For me,

- Nintendo offer a wide variety of genres, top notch quality, nostalgia and all that good stuff.

- Playstation is the big first party output, which is pretty much limited to third person adventure games, give or take, but that suits me because I love that genre.

- Xbox, well I only bought an X because of the power. Once that's reset to zero I'm not sure I have much need of them next gen, regardless of the fantastic moves they've been making outside of software output

I'd put Nintendo in that bracket too. All we've got on Switch online is NES and SNES games. Long term I hope we get Gamecube and Wii titles running in HD and higher frame rates but it's wishing thinking :( With Sony you're getting PS4 games with enhancements on PS5 but it's a shame they haven't confirmed PS1 and PS2 titles.

Agree with your summary about what each company bring to the table.

The Series X is going to have one crazy launch if you think about it. You're essentially getting beefed up versions of nearly every game that came out on XBOX since 2002. Whether it's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Red Dead Redemption or Gear of War, you're effectively getting a modern remaster of every title. Bloody hell.

That's so bloody awesome! God I wish that Nintendo could offer the same treatment to their past games...

Microsoft are making their competition just look stupid when it comes to backwards compatibilty! Too bad that they have the least interesting back catalogue!

There's absolutely no real reason to choose PS5 over Series X outside of Sony's exclusive titles.  Microsoft are absolutely crushing Sony when it comes to multiplatform titles and the overal hardware experience.

And really? That's gonna be the most important thing with these new consoles for the first couple of years.  There isn't going to be anything major that will be new and exclusive to either machine until 2023 really; so enhanced backwards compatibility and enhanced versions of multiplatform titles will be the big USP for at least the first couple of years.  Microsoft know this and that's why BC is such a huge focus for them.  Meanwhile, Sony don't give a shit about their legacy anymore and it's gonna end up biting them in the arse big time.

Edited by Dcubed

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

There isn't going to be anything major that will be new and exclusive to either machine until 2023 really

Horizon 2, God of War 2, Spiderman 2, Halo...?

Backwards compatibility is another great "For the players" move by Xbox, but I don't think it makes a dent to either system in the long run tbh, apart from the goodwill it gives Xbox. Obviously it's a great thing to have so well done Xbox for including it but it's probably the reason Sony don't care about offering their legacy content, they don't have to.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Backwards compatibility is another great "For the players" move by Xbox, but I don't think it makes a dent to either system in the long run tbh, apart from the goodwill it gives Xbox. Obviously it's a great thing to have so well done Xbox for including it but it's probably the reason Sony don't care about offering their legacy content, they don't have to.

None of those developers will have anything to show for a good while.  Gurrilla only just launched Death Stranding, and are also about to release the PC versions of their titles too.  Santa Monica launched GOW only in 2018 and aren't going to have anything new for years still.  Insomniac have only just been aqquired by Sony a few months ago and will only just be starting on their next game now.  The same is true of all of their other first party studios. They've all recently released their big PS4 titles (or are about to do so) and simply aren't ready to show anything yet of their next titles (which is why Sony have announced jack shit for the past couple of years).

Sony's lineup is going to be barren for a good while.  The only first party developer in their staple that will have a big-name exclusive ready to go any time soon is Polyphony, who really should have Gran Turismo 7 out within the first year or so (though I wouldn't imagine that they would've had dev kits for that long; so it might take them longer to port over the unreleased PS4 version than I'm expecting; but hey! Hopefully they've managed to sort themselves out and they'll get GT7 out of the door).  They're the only first party studio who should really be good to go.  You will probably also see some smaller titles from Japan Studio, but that's about it.

Otherwise Sony will probably tap into outside studios heavily in the first couple of years.  Bluepoint will probably have Demon Souls Remastered good to go early on in the PS5's life (though it's not impossible that it'll actually be a cross-gen release).  Exclusive content for both PS5 and Series X will be very thin on the ground, simply because it won't be ready for a good while (especially with COVID throwing a spanner in the works).  In this situation? Enhanced BC will become a big feather in Microsoft's cap.

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Halo is cross generation, unless they've done a U-turn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Gurrilla only just launched Death Stranding,

Death Stranding wasn’t them, it just used their engine.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

None of those developers will have anything to show for a good while.  Gurrilla only just launched Death Stranding, and are also about to release the PC versions of their titles too. 

60 Guerilla staff are credited in Death Stranding's credits, out of a total of 250 staff at last count (2018), and even then those 60 won't have been required for the whole 3-4 years since Horizon came out. It was to help out with their Decima engine. You can be sure the bulk of Guerilla work will be on Horizon 2 since 2017.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Santa Monica launched GOW only in 2018 and aren't going to have anything new for years still. 

That hasn't stopped Sony revealing a game years in advance in the past. Why should it now. I'd like to think with the foundation laid the sequel could hit 2021/2022, though Covid probably means the former is unlikely now tbf.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Insomniac have only just been aqquired by Sony a few months ago and will only just be starting on their next game now.

They could have easily been commissioned to start the sequel before their acquisition, especially as the wheels might have been in motion on that for a long while before the announcement. Also Spider-Man as fun as it was wasn't exactly the most genre-pushing game ever, out of these three games it's the one that should take the least time to develop.

I'm not saying all three games will come out within the first 6 months, but Horizon should at the very least and the others a year or two behind. 

Edited by Ronnie

Sign in to follow this