NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

If you went purely by teraflops then the Series X would have to be 1263.15 Gamecubes taped together. That would take up considerably more room than a tall fridge freezer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

If you went purely by teraflops then the Series X would have to be 1263.15 Gamecubes taped together. That would take up considerably more room than a tall fridge freezer.

Fun fact (unless I got my maths wrong which is possible); if you stacked 1263.15 GameCubes on top of each other it would be almost as big as the newest (and biggest) Godzilla with the first Godzilla stood on its head.

Now just picture a stack of GameCubes destroying Tokyo.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Fun fact (unless I got my maths wrong which is possible); if you stacked 1263.15 GameCubes on top of each other it would be almost as big as the newest (and biggest) Godzilla with the first Godzilla stood on its head.

Now just picture a stack of GameCubes destroying Tokyo.

Thank you for putting it in terms I can understand. 

I hope the producers of the next Godzilla film take such an idea into consideration, I'm sure they would sell a lot more tickets if they advertised the monsters height in Gamecubes.

• Thanks 1

Is it true that you guys tried to convert Gamecubes into Godzillas overnight and that's what caused all the issues with the forum?

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Is it true that you guys tried to convert Gamecubes into Godzillas overnight and that's what caused all the issues with the forum?

Yes, that has about the same impact as dividing stuff by zero so no wonder the forum crashed.

OT: apparently the new generation is simply called "XBox" and the series X is one of the models they are releasing. I still think we will also see an XBox series S and maybe an XBox series C(loud). Want 4K 120Hz? Get an X. Want 4K 60Hz? Series S. Only use project XCloud? Get the C streaming box.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

OT: apparently the new generation is simply called "XBox" and the series X is one of the models they are releasing. I still think we will also see an XBox series S and maybe an XBox series C(loud). Want 4K 120Hz? Get an X. Want 4K 60Hz? Series S. Only use project XCloud? Get the C streaming box.

I think three models is right on point. A powerhouse, a cheaper model and a “disc-less”, maybe streaming only, model as you said.

I think this is the sensible way to go for the gaming industry. Scaling is easier to do now. “Generations” being replaced with a more iPhone style cyclical approach where the oldest models gradually drop off out of support seems much more sensible and profitable than having a new expensive system (and incremental half-gen upgrades) every 6-8 years. 

I’m hoping the Switch will follow this too. The fact we’ve had an un-switchable Switch hints they are maybe doing it, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Who knows what’s coming next. 

Microsoft’s approach is genuinely intriguing. I never thought a “Netflix for games” style system would ever work, but here I am complementing dipping into Game Pass on PC. As someone who’s only interested in a few select games on Xbox One (namely Rare stuff and Forza), the fact they’re adding select original Xbox and 360 games to it makes me want to pick up a cheap One S. Interested to see where this leads and how it affects AAA development.

I’ll always prefer to own my games physically, but I went from ignoring MS to considering becoming a subscriber. Personally, I think they are onto a winner and fair play to them for leading the way and striving to innovate in a new direction.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You crazy fools tried it again didn't you!? Stop trying to fly too close to the sun with wings made of Gamecubes!

• Haha 2

The first real pics of the console have leaked.

It seems legit because someone went and took the serial number from the photo and went and registered it successfully on the Microsoft website. Nice to see Microsoft still offering an ethernet port without having to buy an add-on. Yes, it still annoys me that Nintendo don't put these ports on their machines. :nono:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The first real pics of the console have leaked.

Oh dear. 

Also, Thurrott with the scoops like two weeks ago makes this so much funnier :laughing:

Either Xbox have a real issue keeping things quiet, or they really just don't mind having small things like this get out; at the very least, it's a good thing they managed to keep it quiet until their console reveal last month. 

Would have been much more troubling for them if this got out before The Game Awards. Wonder if they didn't let these prototypes do the rounds internally and with third parties until after their reveal? 

49 minutes ago, Julius said:

they really just don't mind having small things like this get out

My guess is this. It's working well for Sony with them drip-feeding little information over the past few months. It keeps the new console in the news and the hype never really fades.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nice to see Microsoft still offering an ethernet port without having to buy an add-on. Yes, it still annoys me that Nintendo don't put these ports on their machines. :nono:

I always wonder how much an ethernet port costs. I would assume it's very cheap these days? Especially buying them in bulk.

29 minutes ago, drahkon said:

My guess is this. It's working well for Sony with them drip-feeding little information over the past few months. It keeps the new console in the news and the hype never really fades.

I dunno. Apparently Sony were fuming with the PS5 dev kit leaks. Which inadvertently kinda confirmed that the initial pictures were real. :laughing:

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Would have been much more troubling for them if this got out before The Game Awards. 

Agreed. Nobody seen that reveal coming and it was such a nice surprise, especially when such reveals get spoiled left and right these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I dunno. Apparently Sony were fuming with the PS5 dev kit leaks. Which inadvertently kinda confirmed that the initial pictures were real. :laughing:

Sure, leaks are annoying, but Sony still have continuously released small bits of information over the past few months. I guess it works with keeping the hype at a relatively high point. But maybe that's just me :p 

48 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sure, leaks are annoying, but Sony still have continuously released small bits of information over the past few months. I guess it works with keeping the hype at a relatively high point. But maybe that's just me :p 

Considering a simple logo reveal was the most popular picture ever by a video games company over on Instagram, i'd say you aren't alone. 

• Haha 1

If they didn't hide the serial number then it must be a controlled leak, they clearly aren't afraid of getting caught.

The continuous 'leak' thing works well for Google and their phones. As much as they get a reputation for being terrible at keeping secrets and by the time the phone is officially unveiled most is known, it still means for months beforehand it's being talked about. 

That's some real confidence coming out of Microsoft here.  They know that Sony aren't gonna be able to match this and they know that Sony are in a bad spot with their production and marketing schedule with the PS5; proper going for the jugular here!

That being said? This thing has $799.99/€799.99 written all over it.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That's some real confidence coming out of Microsoft here.  They know that Sony aren't gonna be able to match this and they know that Sony are in a bad spot with their production and marketing schedule with the PS5; proper going for the jugular here!

That being said? This thing has $799.99/€799.99 written all over it.

Aren't most tech companies with production in China undergoing massive issues at the moment? Apple, Nintendo, PlayStation...I very much doubt that Microsoft's production schedule and plans aren't under some kind of strain at the moment, too. 

Seeing a lot of talk about PlayStation being in a bad marketing position seeing as we still haven't had that widely speculated upon February reveal for the PS5, but honestly, I'm not sure what all of that fuss is about at the moment either. I think they could be taking a note out of Nintendo's book with regards to their marketing, seeing as the Switch went 4.5 months from official reveal to release, and I think that worked out great for them. Heck, wasn't the Switch Presentation in early January 2017? 

I'm not worried yet. If we don't have anything by the end of June after a supposed Microsoft blowout at E3, then I think we've got reason to worry. 

Also, yeah, the Series X will be dead on arrival at that price band. There's no way that Microsoft pulls something like that after the PS3, even if they have were to have a higher (£750? I think £600, at a real push) and lower (One X/£400) tier of console available from the off. More than ever they have a reason to sell their consoles at a loss, and for all of the great work they're doing I feel like that would be shooting themselves in the foot. 

The Switch has shown how important nailing that price from the start is: there hasn't been a price reduction on the base model in the nearly 3 years since launch, and you know production is only getting cheaper as they streamline their production and parts have become cheaper as production has ramped up. Heck, for everything PlayStation has over Xbox from the perspective of a casual gamer, I think anything more than £500 at launch for the PS5 is really pushing it. I just can't see Xbox pushing their luck and having it all blow up in their face again, and they know how great PlayStation are at reacting.

It could go something like this:

Xbox at E3 blowout: £699.99

PlayStation in a second long video released hours after, before even revealing the damn thing: £499.99

And you know who would instantly win the start of next gen if that were to happen. If nothing else, I think that's what PlayStation are doing: waiting to react. That's just their MO. 

• Thanks 1

"Smart Delivery" makes it sound like something else to what it is.

Proprietary SSD sounds like hard to upgrade. Unless they still allow external drives but it sounds like they could be slower.

Quick resume multiple games sounds good though.

It's interesting how they both seem to be very wary of naming a price, probably both want to either match the price or go 50-100$ below it. However I think Microsoft will have the deeper pockets. They look desperate to win back players to their platform: currently trying that with GamePass, but I expect them to go even more all-out with the Series X. Like they said, no matter on what device you play XBox titles, as long as you are on their ecosystem it's fine.

Also don't forget that PlayStation is one of Sony's main divisions for profit, while they make big losses on for example phones and home entertainment. I can't see them selling the PS5 at a loss. But Microsoft? XBox is just a part of it and all their investment is aimed towards the cloud and the servers. They have the Windows OS, Azure, Office, and so on. I can see them taking a hit on every XBox.

I'm not sure how the Corona virus is going to affect the launches. In the best case I guess shortages at launch, at worst they get pushed back to next year.

I doubt that the Xbox Series X will be priced at any more than £499.99...

If that happens, then the PS5 probably won't be any more than £549.99 and it would likely need an extremely compelling feature to 'justify' that extra £50.

Personally, I'd love it if both consoles were £400 or less because I still think that's a significant sum on money to spend on a games console in 2020.

I think generally, it's getting to the point now where you really have to sell a console with some kind of unique feature which makes it worth purchasing in addition to the games.

• For the Switch it's the ability to play full consoles games either on the go or on the big screen...
  • With the Xbox Series X, Games Pass will likely be a significant and tempting prospect for those who want the machine, want to play the games but don't care about owning them...
  • While the PS5 looks set to offer potentially one of the largest back-catalogues in gaming ever, if the PS5 ends up reading all discs somehow, plus quick game loading...

That's the way I see it at the moment but who knows what 2020 will bring? Whenever these new machines launch, I'm sure plenty of people will buy them and 2021 would make more sense if it wasn't for the fact that the Xbox One X seems to be a certainty for the end of this year and you have to wonder if Sony will want to wait that long to get their next machine out there, as they'd miss out on those crucial end of year sales.

It's better to get a console launch right from day one rather than having to refocus and backpedal for a significant amount of time following a botched launch; there's no indication that this will be true for either console manufacturer but it will be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

That's some real confidence coming out of Microsoft here.  They know that Sony aren't gonna be able to match this and they know that Sony are in a bad spot with their production and marketing schedule with the PS5; proper going for the jugular here!   That being said? This thing has $799.99/€799.99 written all over it.   

Not going to be able? Why do you think that? I would expect Sony to match it too. Since the PS5 will be backwards compatible, gamers who have a PS4 version of a game will still be able to play it on the PS5. For that reason I think it'll be a hard sell to get people to drop another £50 on a fancier PS5 version seeing as their PS4 game still runs on the PS5. I'm also slightly dubious of what is being offered here - I think it's more likely companies who developed PS4/X1 games will release a patch to make it run better on PS5/Series X consoles rather than release a whole new game. That way you're basically still buying a last gen game, but with a patch to make it run a bit better on the new consoles (similar to what we saw with PS4 Pro/X1X titles). Maybe they will release the updated version of the game as a standalone PS5/Series X game but at that point it's splitting hairs, as it's basically the same thing.  

I'd also be mesmerized if the Series X was £800, it would be a niche product and I'm tempted to say almost dead on arrival if priced that high.

27 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Not going to be able? Why do you think that? I would expect Sony to match it too. Since the PS5 will be backwards compatible, gamers who have a PS4 version of a game will still be able to play it on the PS5. For that reason I think it'll be a hard sell to get people to drop another £50 on a fancier PS5 version seeing as their PS4 game still runs on the PS5. I'm also slightly dubious of what is being offered here - I think it's more likely companies who developed PS4/X1 games will release a patch to make it run better on PS5/Series X consoles rather than release a whole new game. That way you're basically still buying a last gen game, but with a patch to make it run a bit better on the new consoles (similar to what we saw with PS4 Pro/X1X titles). Maybe they will release the updated version of the game as a standalone PS5/Series X game but at that point it's splitting hairs, as it's basically the same thing.  

I'd also be mesmerized if the Series X was £800, it would be a niche product and I'm tempted to say almost dead on arrival if priced that high.

Because the Series X is gonna be about twice the physical size of the PS5.

Simple.  Unless Sony want to put out a behemoth of a console, like what Microsoft are doing, it can't possibly match the Series X's specs.

On the flipside, the PS5 will no doubt be substantially cheaper than the Series X (though I suspect that it itself will end up being $599.99/€599.99)

Edited by Dcubed

I don't know where you get that idea @Dcubed, the difference in specs between PS5 and Series X will be negligible - if there's even a difference at all. There definitely won't be the gulf between base systems like there was last time round

Sign in to follow this