Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

This pretty much sums up my view on next gen so far. That fact that backwards compatibility seems to be the big talking point shows how little dedicated Series X/PS5 content there is to talk about.

I'll probably end up getting a PS5 and a Series S. Whichever one gets a must-have exclusive first is the one I'll buy first (PS5 wins if the must-have is multi-platform). Until then, I have little interest in spending that much money on games I can already play (albeit without the enhancements).

I actually think this will be one of the best generations to onboard early and I'm quite excited about it. With regards to launch titles, Sony's offering at launch is pretty decent and certainly a lot better than many of their past offerings. Xbox's does leave a lot to be desired though.

In particular the benefits from the SSD in terms of load times and the immediate boosts to visual fidelity look tremendous (going by the recent Xbox videos). I have a lot of games I'm still playing or yet to play that would benefit immediately. It might not be as exciting as having more brand new games but it's still a very strong reason to get a new console now if you're planning to get one anyway at some point.

Traditionally one of the big reasons for not upgrading to new consoles right away was that you could pick up the console cheaper down the line when there are more games. However we saw with the PS4 that it took 2 years just to get an official discount of 50 quid - if we saw the same again, I'd argue it's worth having considerable improvements to your existing games for 2 years for 50 quid is more than worth it (as well as the best versions of games that come out in that period). The new consoles are also clearly being sold at a loss so it's reasonable to assume that we won't see any big price cuts for a while. Because of all this (and gaming being one of my main hobbies), it gets really easy to justify buying one of these at launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I get the appeal. £450 (in the case of the PS5) for me is too much to pay just for enhancements. If I was ok with that, I'd have upgraded to a PS4 Pro or One X ages ago.

Give me new content that can only be played on next gen consoles and that price becomes more reasonable. That price for a (admittedly impressive) "lick of paint", just doesn't do it for me, especially when it seems people are having to jump through hoops to even get one at this point. For me personally, it's not worth the money or hassle currently.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Oh, I get the appeal. £450 (in the case of the PS5) for me is too much to pay just for enhancements. If I was ok with that, I'd have upgraded to a PS4 Pro or One X ages ago.

The difference on that point though is that a Pro/One X doesn't grant you access to any new games, whereas the new consoles will. For me I know I will be gaming over the next 7 years (and that games will stop being made for PS4/X1) so the question comes about when I'll be buying it rather than if. Since there doesn't seem to be much reason to wait I'll be getting one right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

The difference on that point though is that a Pro/One X doesn't grant you access to any new games

That's also the point I'm making, the PS5/Series X/S doesn't either. At least none that I actually want to play.

When the next gen games that I do want to play are released, I'll absolutely buy whichever console I have to to play them. Until then, I'll keep my money (and sanity, based on the issues people are having preordering).

I'm not shitting on people who want one day one, I'm glad people are excited for both, I just won't be getting either until I actually have a worthwhile reason. A fresh lick of paint on games I can already play isn't enough to justify the cost on its own and the launch games do nothing for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goafer said:

That's also the point I'm making, the PS5/Series X/S doesn't either. At least none that I actually want to play.

When the next gen games that I do want to play are released, I'll absolutely buy whichever console I have to to play them. Until then, I'll keep my money (and sanity, based on the issues people are having preordering).

I'm not shitting on people who want one day one, I'm glad people are excited for both, I just won't be getting either until I actually have a worthwhile reason. A fresh lick of paint on games I can already play isn't enough to justify the cost on its own and the launch games do nothing for me.

Oh yeah, I can see why people might not want to commit to £450 right now, for sure. I just don't ever consider the cost of the console based on what is there at that very moment - for me it's a 7-year investment.

Rather than seeing it as spending £450 for me it's more or less a question of how much will I likely save if I buy it in a year when games like Horizon are here. Given the tech inside and current price of these consoles I just don't see there being much difference, meaning it's probably better value to buy it now, in terms of getting your money's worth out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Julius said:

Apart from 802 GB storage being available after the OS partition and some tests on frame rate/resolution/boot speed, no, not really :laughing: it's cool to see it all in action, though!

Was thinking the exact same thing! I figured maybe one was from a console start-up and the other was going into it through Quick Resume, but the difference isn't big or small enough for them to be different? Super strange. 

After watching a decent chunk of these videos now, the Series X tests by DF in particular are the highlight by far, and seeing it brute force its way to sometimes double the frame rate without further optimisation is awesome, and I can't wait to see similar tests with the PS5 and see those comparisons (not because I care which is better, it's just cool to learn more about how both consoles are doing!). I can't wait to get around to playing Final Fantasy XV and Sekiro for the first time on next-gen hardware!

That being said, it also highlighted so much of the other stuff which has personally has me holding off on picking up a Series X for now that it's hard to ignore. 

Why are we getting the first previews now and not in a month or so? Because there isn't a big ol' must-play exclusive launch title.

Why are they showing off a five year old Halo as part of these previews? Because Infinite needed more work.

Will I personally use Quick Resume if/when I get a next-gen Xbox? Absolutely not. It's a neat enough idea, especially with Game Pass giving access to so many games, but I play one game at a time, and enjoy games most that way. It's something I'd test for five minutes and be done with, and honestly, I expect that to be the case for most players with it only really applying to single player games. 

::shrug:

Even if you're only playing one game at a time, Quick Resume is still super useful! It's basically the same thing as the Suspend Save feature from the Virtual Console, except for every game that's playable on the machine! :D 

It's literally my favourite VC feature! It makes games SO much more accessible when you can stop & take a break at any moment and then come back to it later right where you left off, even after turning the power off!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Even if you're only playing one game at a time, Quick Resume is still super useful! It's basically the same thing as the Suspend Save feature from the Virtual Console, except for every game that's playable on the machine! :D 

It's literally my favourite VC feature! It makes games SO much more accessible when you can stop & take a break at any moment and then come back to it later right where you left off, even after turning the power off!

Yeah, I really enjoyed using it on Final Fantasy VI on the SNES Classic as a very quick way to hop back in, and I've enjoyed it to varying degree on Virtual Console and Switch Online too. I mean, the PS4 (and I assume Xbox One? But could be wrong there) has application and game suspension already too, which I use a whole lot, though that's not quite the same (but still a great way to quickly get back in). 

Guess I was more questioning why I would personally need it for 2 games or more at a time, but hey, I guess just having the option is a good enough reason! :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This got me excited and I'm not even getting the console at launch! If it wasn't confirmed before, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are coming to Series X|S. 

Really looking forward to a more fluid and stronger soundscape next gen. Between this and Tempest on PS5, should be a great time for our ears at least :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hoping Forza 3 ends up on game pass for the Series X launch ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stuwii said:

Really hoping Forza 3 ends up on game pass for the Series X launch ...

If you're meaning Forza Horizon 3, the game was delisted along with all DLC from the Xbox Store earlier this week, Sept 28th, as licenses had expired for some of the music and vehicles in the game. Only way to get the game now is to pick up a boxed copy used.

Shame really as its a great game. Picked up the expansions myself before being delisted and have enjoyed playing through them. The Forza Horizon games are perfect for pick up and play now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

If you're meaning Forza Horizon 3, the game was delisted along with all DLC from the Xbox Store earlier this week, Sept 28th, as licenses had expired for some of the music and vehicles in the game. Only way to get the game now is to pick up a boxed copy used.

Shame really as its a great game. Picked up the expansions myself before being delisted and have enjoyed playing through them. The Forza Horizon games are perfect for pick up and play now and then.

Yup. I got my XBone just in time to get it, which as good as the Hot Wheels expansion is awesome fun. Lost to the digital only graveyard now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shame about Forza Horizon, so will Assassins Creed Valhalla be upgradeable at launch to the series x version? I'm not seeing any Xbox Series X box versions for it anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis
Heat and cooling seem to be pretty good.
 
I really hope that the standby power consumption is a bug or something, 29W is insane. It's like 1.5 Switches playing games.

My main concern though is what will it be like when playing actual next gen games, and what it'll be like after time. The Series X/S doesn't have the holes to vacuum out dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've still got my Series S pre-ordered but I'm tempted to cancel it.

I've just purchased the Dark Souls trilogy which I expect we'll keep me entertained for some time, so it seems a bit pointless to buy a digital only console. Had a new Halo been launching alongside it, I would keep it pre-ordered but for now I'm happy to stick with my One X.

Microsoft have built some really good hardware over recent years. I just hope the software can start to roll in.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m feeling the same with my Series X. Still really love the hardware I just have no idea what I’d do with the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cube said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-x-power-consumption-and-heat-analysis

Heat and cooling seem to be pretty good.

 

I really hope that the standby power consumption is a bug or something, 29W is insane. It's like 1.5 Switches playing games.

Worth noting that this is from BC games only.  Actual native Series X games will no doubt push that higher.

As for the standby time? I’m not surprised.  x86/64 is very power inefficient (CPU handles background downloading/installation in standby) and that also includes powering the USB ports too.

I’ll be turning mine off, rather than using the standby features.  Huge waste of electricity in this case.

Edited by Dcubed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Julius said:

I really like the look of the Series S and X boxes. 

I totally agree on the X, the S not so much. While I’ve steered clear of the PS5 unboxing videos I have watched these and really love how they’ve pulled it all together, really seems very premium and a great experience all round.

The reason I watched them? Because I don’t intend to buy it and have cancelled my order. I might pick one up next year but there will have to be something happen between now and then to convince me it’s worth it over building a PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Will said:

I totally agree on the X, the S not so much.

The S looks much better. X looks boring :p

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way! All that black and white, it almost looks as bad as a... PS5!

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Will said:

No way! All that black and white, it almost looks as bad as a... PS5!

506ae5d6051be953afa653b1f7046108.gif

:p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this