NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Went with the "official" styling. Now it just looks like Xbox Series SIX.

@Happenstance The name for the second iteration of the 360 was the Xbox 360 E, followed by Xbox 360 S. So E is one of the random letters they throw at the end of console names.

I hope they release a Series E as well so we can reach our immature potential and have the title as Xbox Series S | E | X
If I had a pound for every time I heard that I would have three pounds.

Bloody hell it's complicated. Even with this infographic it's still confusing.831749f938cb144965b2f38d84d5a57c.jpg

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, Happenstance said:
I hope they release a Series E as well so we can reach our immature potential and have the title as Xbox Series S | E | X

If I had a pound for every time I heard that I would have three pounds.

And we all know you deserve a good pounding. 

1 hour ago, bob said:

Bloody hell it's complicated. Even with this infographic it's still confusing.

831749f938cb144965b2f38d84d5a57c.jpg

So Xbox Series S is as next gen as the Series X? And if I have an Xbox One S I can only buy an Xbox Series S? :geek:

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

Virtually impossible to tell, but we saw the Series S way back in July on Phil Spencer's shelf:

Gave me a chuckle :laughing:

• Haha 2

Oh wow, looks like Jeff Grubb was on the money with what he'd labelled 'Xboxing Week'. The following four-part Xbox News Briefing, which was scheduled for this coming week, has just leaked, giving us a look at how Xbox were likely planning on unveiling all of this week's Xbox news to partners, content creators, etc., before it hit Xbox Wire.

I'm getting the feeling that whatever they had planned probably wasn't anywhere near as good as the info dump we ended up with. With no other news attached, I feel like the way it was handled is probably the best way to do it. 

Also @Cube regarding the thread title, I think I've seen it officially denoted as 'Xbox Series X | S' as the X is the primary console, but at the same time, I love that it reads as 'Xbox S I X' (Xbox 6) as it is, I mean I suppose it is a bit more powerful than the PS5 :laughing: 

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I'm getting the feeling that whatever they had planned probably wasn't anywhere near as good as the info dump we ended up with. With no other news attached, I feel like the way it was handled is probably the best way to do it. 

Yeah I think the way it all ended up coming out was quite exciting and the info got better and better. While watching that News Briefing I kept thinking about the fact there are no games I’m excited about so even though it’s a great deal there doesn’t seem much point in getting one.

23 minutes ago, will' said:

Yeah I think the way it all ended up coming out was quite exciting and the info got better and better. While watching that News Briefing I kept thinking about the fact there are no games I’m excited about so even though it’s a great deal there doesn’t seem much point in getting one.

Bare in mind that those videos were not meant for us; they were meant for the media.

It was their replacement for their normal in-person media briefing session; and it's clearly how the price/console announcement leak happened.

BTW, interesting note in those leaked videos... Looks like Microsoft are not anticipating any significant manufacturing cost reductions throughout the entire console generation this time around... I suspect that they will be sticking at these price points throughout the entire lifetime of these machines; much like what Nintendo have done with the Wii U/Switch and what Apple do.  And that whenever they do a mid-gen refresh, they'll just have another set of S/X variations; much like what Apple do.

Edited by Dcubed

11 hours ago, Cube said:

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbox-series-s-wont-apply-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

The Xbox Series S is unable to run Xbox One X games. Instead, the Xbox Series S will run the Xbox One S versions of backwards compatible games.

Does make you think that some other graphical features will need go be toned down for it.

That's very disappointing, but understandable.  The Series S has less RAM than the Xbox One X; so it can't run the Xbox One X versions of games without them being specifically re-coded for the Series S.

I suppose it's not a big deal for the people who would be buying it over the Series X though; they're not the people who would, by and large, care about 4k support anyway.

Edited by Dcubed

13 minutes ago, will' said:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.

The only games I personally want to play on an Xbox at the moment are their legacy titles, like Banjo-Kazooie and the Halo games, which isn't much of a reason to pick it up at launch. There also isn't anything they've announced yet going forward which has me saying "I have to play this game!", but hopefully that will change in a couple of years. Even the newer games they have like Ori and Cuphead that I do have a slight interest in checking out are on the Switch, so ::shrug:

I'm happy with my Switch and PS4 for now, and still have plenty of games I want to check out (not to mention a few PS3 and DS/3DS games too), to the point I'm not even sure if I would have the time to fit a third ecosystem's catalogue in! 

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Also @Cube regarding the thread title, I think I've seen it officially denoted as 'Xbox Series X | S' as the X is the primary console, but at the same time, I love that it reads as 'Xbox S I X' (Xbox 6) as it is, I mean I suppose it is a bit more powerful than the PS5 :laughing: 

At the same time, PS5 exclusive games are going to have a colossal advantage. Xbox Series X games need to work on the Series S and on PC (I don't think any PC game has dared to make an SSD a requirement), while PS5 games can take full advantage of everything.

3 minutes ago, Cube said:

At the same time, PS5 exclusive games are going to have a colossal advantage. Xbox Series X games need to work on the Series S and on PC (I don't think any PC game has dared to make an SSD a requirement), while PS5 games can take full advantage of everything.

Oh yeah, for sure. We've already seen developers a bit concerned by the limitations of the Series S. 

Was more talking about how the Xbox Six would be a better and funnier name for marketing purposes :laughing: 'the Series X is more powerful, so yeah, bigger number than it our main competitor!'

55 minutes ago, Cube said:

The Series X is still the more powerful machine than the PS5 and is also still the primary target; as games are developed for Series X first and then downscaled to Series S.

PC games will no doubt start requiring SSDs when DirectStorage comes to Windows as well.

Having one target platform is nice, but ultimately the PS5 is still the weaker machine.  Sony's developers will ultimately be at a disadvantage when it comes to selling games based primarily off of their graphics.

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Sony's developers will ultimately be at a disadvantage when it comes to selling games based primarily off of their graphics.

They seem to be doing pretty well so far. If the Xbox Series X is really that powerful, Microsoft haven't done anything to showcase it.

It also extends to more than just graphics. The rifts in the new Rachet & Clank for example, is pretty dependant on loading speed and RAM. For the Xbox Series X, if the Series S can't utilise an intensive feature like that (without using a loading screen which would kill the flow of the game), then they likely wouldn't use it at all.  

6 minutes ago, Cube said:

They seem to be doing pretty well so far. If the Xbox Series X is really that powerful, Microsoft haven't done anything to showcase it.

It also extends to more than just graphics. The rifts in the new Rachet & Clank for example, is pretty dependant on loading speed and RAM. For the Xbox Series X, if the Series S can't utilise an intensive feature like that (without using a loading screen which would kill the flow of the game), then they likely wouldn't use it at all.  

The Series S and X have the same hardware outside of the GPU and RAM size/speed (Which will basically just mean lower resolution rendering and textures).  The SSD and CPU speed is the same between both machines; so it'll play the same games at the same loading speed.

My brain is crinkled reading this sentence.
Everyone's brain is crinkled.
  • Like 1

Another perfect example of what a fucking mess the whole naming convention is:

I swear I lost about a week off my lifespan just trying to figure out what the hell is going on with that sentence.

27 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Another perfect example of what a fucking mess the whole naming convention is:

I swear I lost about a week off my lifespan just trying to figure out what the hell is going on with that sentence.

Yeah, I think the name is terrible. It's a good job they're taking last gen off the shelves and stopped production, because it could've destroyed their plans. I mean, we saw it with the Wii U. 

I don't get why they're so adamant about not using numbers; in my opinion, should really have just continued down the path they were on and have the Xbox Two X and S. Down the line it might make a bit more sense of their plan is to have the Series X2 and S2 next, which I think could work a bit more as a differentiator, but...I just don't get the need for the 'Series'. Heck, I think 'Xbox X' and 'Xbox S' would have worked better.

It's pretty much the worst differentiator imaginable in my opinion, I mean imagine if we had the first season of The Mandalorian followed by the second season called The Mandalorian Season One. Again, WHY EVEN RISK getting close to a Wii U situation when you're already playing catch-up in hardware sales? And even if you were leading? 

My favourite reaction from last year's Series X reveal was from Easy Allies. These are people in the industry who had been covering the Scarlet and Lockhart rumours on their podcasts for a year or so by this point, and still had no idea what was going on until the date dropped :laughing:

I think it's the biggest concern for me when it comes to Xbox's plans, besides the first party gap (which they're already hard at work on filling up).

They have a great product at a great price with a great service in Game Pass, but the hardware side of things rides on the average consumer being fully aware that this is their next gen offering. I don't think we'll be able to tell for a while how well it's been communicated. 

Edited by Julius

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I don't get why they're so adamant about not using numbers; in my opinion, should really have just continued down the path they were on and have the Xbox Two X and S. Down the line it might make a bit more sense of their plan is to have the Series X2 and S2 next, which I think could work a bit more as a differentiator, but...I just don't get the need for the 'Series'. Heck, I think 'Xbox X' and 'Xbox S' would have worked better

I did see someone on Twitter (not sure who) point out that if they started with numbers they would have always been one behind Sony so if you end up with PS5 and Xbox 4 on the shelves there will be a 'natural' (incorrect) assumption that the PS5 is 'better' or 'newer' than Xbox 4.

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I did see someone on Twitter (not sure who) point out that if they started with numbers they would have always been one behind Sony so if you end up with PS5 and Xbox 4 on the shelves there will be a 'natural' (incorrect) assumption that the PS5 is 'better' or 'newer' than Xbox 4.

I thought about that too, so if that's the case, they should've just jumped ahead to Six or even Ten if they did want numbers (and if not, should've just started with Xbox X and S imo, still no need for the 'Series'). Or give it an actual name, because we're bound to end up with numbers again anyways (X2 and S2, etc.). Could've just stuck with Scarlet and Lockhart, or heck why not do the colours of the rainbow? Infinity? Zero to denote a restart? 

And thing is, they went back from 360 to One. There's very little rhyme or reason to their names (I mean I guess 360 might have been more an architecture thing? And One for the all-in-one entertainment system. But then why Series?).

They shouldn't have done that or this, in my opinion :laughing: 

We saw what happened with the Wii U, and so did they. Even with current gen off the shelves, the last thing you want is for customers to hesitate for a second and think that it's not the newer console. It's just poor branding/marketing otherwise. 

Edited by Julius

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That's pretty much the reason, but still could have come up with a better name for next gen. That sentence from IGN is terrible and conveys the naming issue perfectly.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this