NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

While people are discussing prices and Sony's response to it all....

...I'm still struggling to think of why anyone is even excited about either of them right now. There doesn't seem like much point until there's any significant new games. Sony has some, but they're on the Horizon, while Microsoft have a vague promise of a few.

Microsoft going all in for a third-party machine.

Good job. Sony needs to deliver, because the Series S is their main competitor now.

Competition is always great :)

Edit: The reveal comes on the 25th birthday of the North American PS1 release :D Sneaky.

Edited by drahkon

31 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You forgot about the 20% VAT; US prices do not include local state taxes (because they vary from state to state).  Add the UK 20% VAT onto the US price and suddenly it translates into £462.

For once, the UK actually gets the better deal (and this is post brexit!!).  The Series S UK price is a complete fucking miracle compared to the US one! (Which is already stupid cheap!); this never happens!

Well the US will pay 2.9 to 7.25% on top, so they're still getting a much better deal.

Edited by Sheikah

15 minutes ago, Cube said:

...I'm still struggling to think of why anyone is even excited about either of them right now. There doesn't seem like much point until there's any significant new games. Sony has some, but they're on the Horizon, while Microsoft have a vague promise of a few.

I definitely agree on the Microsoft side. Everything that’s been revealed over the past couple of days is amazing. What you’re getting for the money is a really amazing deal on both machines and I’m finding myself tempted by them both. Then I think about what I’d play on them and there isn’t a single game I can get excited about, certainly not this year at least.

I do think it's absolutely hilarious that Microsoft are knocking it out of the park in virtually every way other than software.

I'm definitely getting the Series S as I don't have a 4K TV yet, and so I'm happy to wait for a PS5, but if Demon Souls is a launch title then that goes out the window.

At this point, why would someone buy a PS5 for 3rd party games?

Sony look like they're about to get Nintendo'd... but are their first party exclusives enough to prop a console up on their own? (Well, no doubt they'll pay for even more timed 3rd party exclusives; but man.  Being the less powerful AND more expensive console is a bad position to be in...)

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Because it also has the first party games 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Sony look like they're about to get Nintendo'd

Do you really believe that 3rd party devs will stop developing games for the PS5?

Just now, drahkon said:

Do you really believe that 3rd party devs will stop developing games for the PS5?

When it comes to Dcubed he seems to be in his own little world where Sony is concerned.

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Sony look like they're about to get Nintendo'd... but are their first party exclusives enough to prop a console up on their own? (Well, no doubt they'll pay for even more timed 3rd party exclusives; but man.  Being the less powerful AND more expensive console is a bad position to be in...)

I don't think they have anything to worry about. The vast majority of the most played games on the PS4 are PS4 exclusives (or were at one point).

Spoiler

image.png

Sony have a reputation for having the games and nothing so far shows that that's going to be different in the coming generation.

To reword the question, why buy an Xbox when you can buy a PS5 and get all the multiplatform games plus the exclusive games you can't get on Xbox? The best argument right now for Xbox is simply value.

Edited by Sheikah

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I don't think they have anything to worry about. The vast majority of the most played games on the PS4 are PS4 exclusives (or were at one point).

Sony have a reputation for having the games and nothing so far shows that that's going to be different in the coming generation.

To reword the question, why buy an Xbox when you can buy a PS5 and get all the multiplatform games plus the exclusive games you can't get on Xbox? The best argument right now for Xbox is simply value.

So I guess we're about to find out if Sony's first party studios are enough to tip the scales when they're beaten out on the 3rd party front?  They lost this game with the PS3, but can they pull it off this time?

Shall be interesting to see!

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

So I guess we're about to find out if Sony's first party studios are enough to prop a console up then?

Shall be interesting to see!

Again, don't see why it needs "propping" up by Sony when it has third party games too. Can you explain what you mean? Especially when it seems that Sony is acquiring exclusive deals with many of these third party developers too.

It's important to remember that PlayStation is the dominant gaming brand in Europe. They've got nothing to worry about.

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

So I guess we're about to find out if Sony's first party studios are enough to prop a console up then?

What do you mean by prop up? I’m not really sure what argument you’re making but by this logic haven’t we already seen this generation that the Sony studios make for a dominant console?

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:

Yeah this is where I'm at to be honest. Nothing that MS has shown so far (bar Infinite) has made me think they'll have anything of note in the next 18 months.

Xbox Series S is tremendous value with GamePass and I would love to have one for the bedroom - but it's going to be an easy way to play indie games and third party games without needing to use Steam Link and piss about with controllers and Apple TV. Forza and Rare Replay would be obvious benefits, but 90% of their first party games are coming to PC anyway...

The Sony presentation was much better than the MS one and the games looked next-gen in the way they didn't in Microsoft's. I've got a couple of PS4 "exclusives" to go through on Steam and have just started Death Stranding. If Sony continue to deliver quality exclusive games (even timed exclusive ones), I'd be pushed towards a PS5 mid-way thorough the gen, but a Series X is completely out of the question. Would much rather get a new graphics card and stick to Steam. 

1 minute ago, Goron_3 said:

It's important to remember that PlayStation is the dominant gaming brand in Europe. They've got nothing to worry about.

Indeed, there are countries in Europe where Xbox isn't even considered. UK is quite the anomaly in that regard - Xbox does reasonably well over here (but still outsold by PS4).

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Again, don't see why it needs "propping" up by Sony when it has third party games too. Can you explain what you mean? Especially when it seems that Sony is acquiring exclusive deals with many of these third party developers too.

If you're primarily interested in 3rd party games, there is zero reason to choose a PS5 over the Series X/S.  You're paying more for a worse experience.

Even if Sony continue to buy timed exclusives, people will eventually just learn to wait (especially if they come to Game Pass for free).

Sony's big USP is their range of 1st party titles.  This is a game they lost with the PS3 (and that also had Blu-ray movies on its side).  And I'm not necessarily convinced that Sony's 1st party output is strong enough to tip the balance in their favour.  Sony is not Nintendo; I don't believe that they can carry a console by themselves.

People primarily buy Playstations for games like Fifa & COD; not TLOU.  For those people who primarily play Fifa & COD, why would they choose a PS5 over a cheaper and more powerful Series X? Especially when they have Gamepass on their side?

Edited by Dcubed

If you're primarily interested in 3rd party games, there is zero reason to choose a PS5 over the Series X/S.  You're paying more for a worse experience.

Even if Sony continue to buy timed exclusives, people will eventually just learn to wait (especially if they come to Game Pass for free).

Sony's big USP is their range of 1st party titles.  This is a game they lost with the PS3 (and that also had Blu-ray movies on its side).  And I'm not necessarily convinced that Sony's 1st party output is strong enough to tip the balance in their favour.  Sony is not Nintendo; I don't believe that they can carry a console by themselves.

Can you explain what you mean by the PS3 lost?

When did Sony announce their pricing? How do you judge the worse experience on PS5?

Just now, Happenstance said:

Can you explain what you mean by the PS3 lost?

PS3 was the more expensive console that played host to worse versions of 3rd party games pretty much across the board.  It lost to the 360 (barring Japan - where PS5 will be irrelevent anyway).

Just now, Dcubed said:

PS3 was the more expensive console that played host to worse versions of 3rd party games pretty much across the board.  It lost to the 360 (barring Japan - where PS5 will be irrelevent anyway).

PS3 ended up selling more than the 360 worldwide

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I do think it's absolutely hilarious that Microsoft are knocking it out of the park in virtually every way other than software.

Yep, and Sony are the exact opposite!

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yep, and Sony are the exact opposite!

The PS5 is pretty much the perfect device to me *shrugs* Perfect combo of hardware and software.

I don't expect services like Gamepass from Sony and Nintendo.

Sign in to follow this