NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

3 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Am I missing something, how is this a dig at Sony? What are Sony doing that is different to 'Smart Delivery'?

People are acting confused over Spider-Man (it doesn't have a free upgrade as more work went into it), so Microsoft tried to cash in on it like Sony did when Microsoft tried to remove ownership of physical games.

Amusingly, Xbox's tweet has wording that can be easily interpreted as the complete opposite of what they're trying to say.

• Like 1

Sony also offer an upgrade pathway but technically it's optional for each game and up to each developer, correct?

Microsoft's approach is different as every game is automatically upgraded. I imagine this is because their ecosystem is also on PC now. Why should a PC gamer get a free upgrade and not the console owner? The moment they moved I.P to PC and also gave PC gamers access to GamePass, this was bound to happen, and it's a very good move. 

On a different note...do we know if Microsoft have any launch games planned for the Series S or X? I've got a GamePass subscription already for my X but is there any new software coming out for November from their first party developers? Or was it just Halo before the delay?

Edited by Goron_3

1 minute ago, Goron_3 said:

Microsoft's approach is different as every game is automatically upgraded. 

It depends on the developer/publisher.

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Microsoft's approach is different as every game is automatically upgraded.

I don't think that's the case. It is for Xbox Game Studios games (I think), but 3rd party devs still need to decided whether they want to put in the work.

Edit: Aaaaaaand @Cube was quicker. DAMN YOU :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Am I missing something, how is this a dig at Sony? What are Sony doing that is different to 'Smart Delivery'?
I don't know, but Microsoft also recently tweeted with a dig about how their preorders were going to go smoothly. It would seem that their preorders were just as messed up...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

They don't have a fancy name for it.

And it's Sony...Sony bad for a few certain members here :)

The Miles Morales situation I assume

Right so I didn't miss anything, Xbox are just making a bad attempt at a joke.

This is nothing like the Xbox One game ownership back from 2013 and the Miles Morales thing isn't complicated. It is a remaster, rather than just the automatic frame rate and resolution bump that last gen running on next gen will get. Therfore they are charging for it.

• Like 2

Oh man, I can't keep up with this petty point scoring between two sets of loser fanboys.

Can someone just tell me who is winning so I can cheer for the right team?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bob said:

Oh man, I can't keep up with this petty point scoring between two sets of loser fanboys.

Can someone just tell me who is winning so I can cheer for the right team?

Atari.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Atari.

Nah, it's Intellivision. Their new console is just as cheap as the Xbox Series S.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

KcKy73k.jpg

I looked at that image and didn't get what was up with it.

On my fifth re-read, I finally got it. 

#IAmMarge

• Haha 2

Series X previews are going up. 

Series X vs One X loading time comparison:

EjARaJHWoAE6R0w?format=jpg&name=small

Digital Foundry are just polishing their content up before we get their perspective too:

And a few more load times:

load-time-xbox.png

Also a few mentions that this is coming in at somewhere around 800GB available storage (after the OS partition).  

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dayhm!! Those are some NICE upgrades!

And this is just brute forcing better performance with no use of the new, bespoke hardware for optimisation! Awesome! :D 

6 hours ago, Julius said:
Series X previews are going up. 

I saw these images elsewhere too - I don't quite understand the discrepancy between the loading times between the two sources. Surely the Series X hardware should be the same across the board? Maybe they counted from different points...

Edited by Sheikah

Perhaps I'm being naïve but I won't be impressed by loading time statistics on Xbox Series X or PS5 until they match the N64, unfathomable for all the advancements we've had that disc based games haven't caught up with those cartridges of yester year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Perhaps I'm being naïve but I won't be impressed by loading time statistics on Xbox Series X or PS5 until they match the N64, unfathomable for all the advancements we've had that disc based games haven't caught up with those cartridges of yester year.

Disc based games have been left in the dust. Disc based games install to the hard drive now (and has done since the start of the current generation). Even the Wii U had to install data for some games (such as Breath of the Wild).

21 hours ago, drahkon said:

Anything we haven't already known to take away from those videos?

Apart from 802 GB storage being available after the OS partition and some tests on frame rate/resolution/boot speed, no, not really :laughing: it's cool to see it all in action, though!

14 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I saw these images elsewhere too - I don't quite understand the discrepancy between the loading times between the two sources. Surely the Series X hardware should be the same across the board? Maybe they counted from different points...

Was thinking the exact same thing! I figured maybe one was from a console start-up and the other was going into it through Quick Resume, but the difference isn't big or small enough for them to be different? Super strange. 

After watching a decent chunk of these videos now, the Series X tests by DF in particular are the highlight by far, and seeing it brute force its way to sometimes double the frame rate without further optimisation is awesome, and I can't wait to see similar tests with the PS5 and see those comparisons (not because I care which is better, it's just cool to learn more about how both consoles are doing!). I can't wait to get around to playing Final Fantasy XV and Sekiro for the first time on next-gen hardware!

That being said, it also highlighted so much of the other stuff which has personally has me holding off on picking up a Series X for now that it's hard to ignore. 

Why are we getting the first previews now and not in a month or so? Because there isn't a big ol' must-play exclusive launch title.

Why are they showing off a five year old Halo as part of these previews? Because Infinite needed more work.

Will I personally use Quick Resume if/when I get a next-gen Xbox? Absolutely not. It's a neat enough idea, especially with Game Pass giving access to so many games, but I play one game at a time, and enjoy games most that way. It's something I'd test for five minutes and be done with, and honestly, I expect that to be the case for most players with it only really applying to single player games. 

::shrug:

Edited by Julius

54 minutes ago, Julius said:

That being said, it also highlighted so much of the other stuff which has personally has me holding off on picking up a Series X for now that it's hard to ignore. 

Why are we getting the first previews now and not in a month or so? Because there isn't a big ol' must-play exclusive launch title.

This pretty much sums up my view on next gen so far. That fact that backwards compatibility seems to be the big talking point shows how little dedicated Series X/PS5 content there is to talk about.

I'll probably end up getting a PS5 and a Series S. Whichever one gets a must-have exclusive first is the one I'll buy first (PS5 wins if the must-have is multi-platform). Until then, I have little interest in spending that much money on games I can already play (albeit without the enhancements).

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Apart from 802 GB storage being available after the OS partition and some tests on frame rate/resolution/boot speed, no, not really :laughing: it's cool to see it all in action, though!

Was thinking the exact same thing! I figured maybe one was from a console start-up and the other was going into it through Quick Resume, but the difference isn't big or small enough for them to be different? Super strange. 

After watching a decent chunk of these videos now, the Series X tests by DF in particular are the highlight by far, and seeing it brute force its way to sometimes double the frame rate without further optimisation is awesome, and I can't wait to see similar tests with the PS5 and see those comparisons (not because I care which is better, it's just cool to learn more about how both consoles are doing!). I can't wait to get around to playing Final Fantasy XV and Sekiro for the first time on next-gen hardware!

Why are they showing off a five year old Halo as part of these previews? Because Infinite needed more work.

Will I personally use Quick Resume if/when I get a next-gen Xbox? Absolutely not. It's a neat enough idea, especially with Game Pass giving access to so many games, but I play one game at a time, and enjoy games most that way. It's something I'd test for five minutes and be done with, and honestly, I expect that to be the case for most players with it only really applying to single player games. 

::shrug:

I totally disagree about one game at a time. Especially with game pass. 

I play one at a time now because it is so painful to come out of it, load another game and wait for ages for it to become playable. Also, games like Forza are great to be able to jump back into whenever so I can't wait for this feature personally.

13 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I totally disagree about one game at a time. Especially with game pass. 

I play one at a time now because it is so painful to come out of it, load another game and wait for ages for it to become playable. Also, games like Forza are great to be able to jump back into whenever so I can't wait for this feature personally.

Yeah, like I said, that's just me personally :smile:

As we both mentioned, Game Pass is a great reason to pop in and try a game out, but I don't think that necessarily translates to having a bunch of games in Quick Resume, because if I don't like a game I gave a try on Game Pass, I'd just delete it and move on. And even then, these consoles have solid SSD's packed in, so the issue you have in loading up a game from scratch is probably going to be reduced anyways. 

Forza and games like that would be good games to pop into, I agree there for sure, and I guess I could see myself just wanting to pop in for a quick drive every now and then just to chill out a bit. So maybe I'm wrong in saying that I wouldn't use it at all. 

But on the flip side, the number floating around is that you can have a maximum of 12 games using Quick Resume at once, for backwards compatible games I believe, and that just seems a bit excessive to me. Options are great, but it's just odd is all: what's the aim? Personally speaking, for me the outcome with something like this, if I were to utilise it fully, is bound to be me just hopping from one game to another and not making any real progress with any of them. It'd be great for series speedruns I guess? Again, it's a neat enough idea and a cool feature, just one I don't think I'd personally utilise all that often (if at all).

Sign in to follow this