NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Why has nobody in the boardroom suggested they stop dicking around for five minutes? Give it a sensible name, invest in new studios, and you're half way there. UGH.

Just now, dwarf said:

Why has nobody in the boardroom suggested they stop dicking around for five minutes? Give it a sensible name, invest in new studios, and you're half way there. UGH.

The higher ups have wanted to drop the console division for years haven’t they? Maybe this is their way.

10 minutes ago, dwarf said:

They did invest in new studios?

So just the name thing? "Game Pass" is pretty catchy, that's what they're selling these days, not so much the box to get it on.

18 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’ll be the first ever console to literally launch with no games (and not in a jokey sense!)

I'm pretty sure there are going to be games available on day 1.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Honestly? Microsoft might as well delay the console into 2021.  There’s literally no native software going to be available for it.

It’ll be the first ever console to literally launch with no games (and not in a jokey sense!)

From what's been shown, I think The Medium is the only thing that isn't releasing for Xbox One, rather Series X and PC at launch which isn't a great advert for pushing your new hardware. So yeah, 100% I agree that there's virtually no native next gen games seemingly coming during the launch period (that we're aware of) for Series X. Thats partly down to Sony putting down money to secure third party exclusives or timed exclusivity deals (as I mentioned earlier, the talk was Sony was willing to put more money on the table whereas Microsoft were not) but I would also wager because developers just aren't there and ready for next gen yet.

We won't see a huge number of next gen exclusive titles across both platforms, though more will be available on the PS5 out of the gate should all things go to plan (and even some of those started as current gen titles and have made the jump up to next gen so won't be true next gen titles) this year and for a good part of next year. With Unreal 5 only really hitting beta in early 2021 with a full release towards the end of next year/start of 2022, a lot of games which are already touting that as their next gen engine will be years away yet. Likewise, while we're still getting big titles this year, next year could be a big of a wasteland with that regard on all platforms depending on how long the current pandemic continues and whether it worsens more than it has in the likes of the US.

That doesn't really excuse a lacklustre lineup from Microsoft, tho we do need to remember that not everything has been announced so there could be some surprises (there probably won't be tho). Some of their acquisitions have had a couple of years now and should be able to have something ready for the first year but they showed little gameplay and mainly CG trailers during their showcase while claiming that they're have more to show down the line. Well down the line seems to have been pushed further down the line if the current rumours of a delay in announcements are to be believed so Microsoft do need to start thinking about their messaging and getting it on point for launch.

I mean, Sony are going to bat with Miles Morales which while being a story expansion to their biggest selling PS4 title, is for all intents and purposes an upscaled PS4 title thats main use of the new SSDs will be to speed up load times. I'm sure it'll be good just like the original (I liked the PS4 game but I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive more from Insomniac) but Microsoft and a return to form Halo should be able to compete with that and without it, they really are fighting a battle that they're unlikely to win.

They might not have a big hitter but I imagine they'll be trying to get marketing rights for third party titles to help but as I said earlier, I dont know how much that'll do to offset the quick decline in hardware sales post launch and I imagine much of the money Sony has put down will encompass those same marketing rights.

Their biggest asset is still Gamepass and if they can have a big slate of new titles available on that playable at launch, they'll do fine. Not PS5 fine, not by a long shot, but enough to satisfy them out the gate as they will no doubt realise they've dropped the ball without Sony really doing much to counter. Hell, Phil Spencer has even said its fine if you're not wanting to upgrade to their new console. As a Gamesindustry.biz article from a few weeks back said, all platform holders are now in different races so what we think might be them losing out the gate could be what they see as fine ::shrug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly? Microsoft might as well delay the console into 2021.  There’s literally no native software going to be available for it.

This was my thought too. However now I think about it, can they even expect to be successful if they release it next year? If Sony manage to sell PS5 year and take advantage of the holiday season as well as the head start, they stand to really run away with it. And if Microsoft release the Series X next spring, will they really have that much more to show other than Halo Infinite? Most of their main titles look years away, not 6 months.

It's really not looking very good for the Series X.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:
So just the name thing? "Game Pass" is pretty catchy, that's what they're selling these days, not so much the box to get it on.

They are very much in the console hardware business though, and in competition with Sony. If Game Pass was their only real concern then they wouldn't bother making a console and just put Game Pass on the other systems (e.g. PS5), like what EA have done. In fact they'd reach a bigger audience if they didn't have their own games console (as their competitors have sold far more consoles).

Also let's be real here, the name Xbox Series X/S is what's being criticised, not Game Pass.

Edited by Sheikah

On 12/08/2020 at 1:30 PM, Dcubed said:

I was thinking about that, and while I think it would be the better move for the console, I feel like it would be similar to shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to third parties. 

They have a massive deal with CDPR for Cyberpunk 2077 which is now going to have to be positioned as a tentpole in the Series X launch window (obviously coming to other platforms also), but if the Series X got delayed, I do feel like that could come back to haunt their relationship with CDPR in the future. CDPR would have a marketing deal then only really for the One family of consoles, and in the launch year of new a generation of consoles (assuming with a Series X delay Sony wouldn't push the PS5 back), that's a really weak market to push for.  

Same goes for Yakuza 7 getting its next gen version be exclusive to Series X at launch. While I'm sure it will sell better with its PS4 version, delaying the next gen version for the Series X next year...what would that mean for the PS5 upgrade which is supposed to be coming next year? What would that mean if the PS5 upgrade was ready to go before Series X launching in 2021, would SEGA then want to jump ship? 

Because while I'm sure the paperwork has already been signed and has seen both companies handsomely rewarded for their marketing/exclusivity deals, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of stipulation about the delay of the Series X, and what it would mean for the marketing and deals for those games in particular. 

I just feel like they've pigeonholed themselves with showing Halo too early, and announcing it was coming day and date with the launch of next gen. The Series X reveal itself was also a trump card they threw away aimlessly last year at The Game Awards. 

Even with the changes they've made in terms of going with a focus on Game Pass, learning from a number of the mistakes from last gen's launch for them, they still managed to put themselves in a weak position for the launch of the Series X this year. Back to the potential for a delay for the Series X launch, they're now damned if they do, and damned if they don't. 

Hopefully they have their new studios firing on all cylinders in a couple of years to put this right, if not even to sell consoles, then at the very least for their players. 

• Thanks 1

Rumblings at the moment saying the launch price has leaked and will be $599. If it’s true I would be willing to pay that given the specs (if I wanted the console that is) but I’m not sure the general public will go for it.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Rumblings at the moment saying the launch price has leaked and will be $599. If it’s true I would be willing to pay that given the specs (if I wanted the console that is) but I’m not sure the general public will go for it.

If there is a contract like the one @Dcubed and @Kaepora_Gaebora have speculated about before, say £25/mth for 24 months or something like £50/mth for 12 months with Game Pass included, I think it could still sell given the current economic climate. It would certainly be something easier for me to swallow, and I'm sure many others - heck, if there were the games to back it at launch (for me, there isn't, even on Game Pass I would just be playing older games for a while - but that's fine) I would pick up a PS5 with a Series X. 

But if it were going to be sold at a one-off price of £599, especially with Halo being delayed, I think that's a pretty tough sell with what we know right now. 

We'll have to wait and see I suppose. I'm sure it would still have a solid launch, but £599 for Series X (even if there is a £299 Series S) with potentially no other payment options, no Halo or other major exclusive launch title, etc., just seems to slowly be stacking the cards against them for the early months of next gen. 

$599 is a great price considering the hardware.

As you mentioned though, @Julius there's nothing to really entice people to it at the moment with Halo being delayed. I'm pretty sure the contract option will be available in the US, hopefully in Western Europe too and I can see many people going for it that way, especially if GamePass and Live are thrown in for cheap (or free!). 

I wonder what Sony will do if this is the price. They already had the PS3 launch at $599 which proved to be a colossal mistake. Yes, technically a $599 PS5 would be cheaper adjusted for inflation, but I wonder if they'll split the Xbox SX price by going $549 Digital Only and $599/$649 for the disc-based consoles.

Interesting times ahead. I'm stocked up on popcorn. 

I'd expect the $599 price tag to be accurate or close to it. There's a reason neither Microsoft or Sony are willing to go first on the price point, beyond Microsoft not wanting to be undercut (which looks very unlikely given the cost of production for these consoles). That price point is likely it as the PS5 will likely fall in line with that.

What does that mean for a price over here? Probably £550 or a straight up conversion to £599, tho that later price point may be the straw that breaks the camels back in the UK for some (thats why I do think there will be a ceiling of £550 for both the Series X and the PS5. The PS5 digital will possible come in at £500 if it follows that price point).

Expect Microsoft to heavily push the All Access monthly price plan for launch. Without Halo Infinite, they need a hook to get people through the door and launching the console with a monthly payment plan for 24 months that includes Gamepass at a good price (I'm expecting maybe £30-£40 a month) might be enough to push sales in the run up to Christmas, especially if the pandemic get worse than it is and if the advent of Brexit and job losses starts to take its toll it could sell well to parents for their kids as opposed to putting down several hundred on the day without a game.

I've been saying it for a while but the monthly All Access plan could help move units and is something people shouldn't dismiss. It won't offset the hype for the PS5 but it could keep Microsoft in a closer race in the initial launch year.

I think if it does turn out that the $599 price is true Sony will come out pretty soon after saying the PS5 is $499. MS will then announce the S at some cheaper price point and Sony will counter that with the digital PS5 being the same price. Or Sony will just match it, because...

I’d be happy paying $599 for either machine, but it has to have some content I actually want to play. For myself, and I think a large number of people the XBox doesn’t have that. Some sort of subscription plan would be really really compelling if they had specific new content that blows people away, but I don’t see many people signing up for a two year contract for an XBox with the lineup they have available. Not at launch at least.

I know it’s been spoken about before but the digital library stuff transferring over will be massive this gen for which console people stick with. Last time it was small indie games that people were losing but I’ve got a load of games on my PS4 that I’m looking forward to playing on my PS5, especially as saves apparently will transfer over as well.

14 minutes ago, will' said:

I think if it does turn out that the $599 price is true Sony will come out pretty soon after saying the PS5 is $499. MS will then announce the S at some cheaper price point and Sony will counter that with the digital PS5 being the same price. Or Sony will just match it, because...

I think all Sony need to do is match it. They know they've got the better offering right now so slashing the price further is probably just leaving money on the table.

• Like 1

I’d be VERY surprised if Series X was a “mere” $599.99.  I’m actually expecting it to be substantially higher.

Likewise, I’d be surprised if PS5 wasn’t more expensive than that too (maybe the Digital Only model might make it? They’d be taking a substantial loss on each unit though... but perhaps they’re expecting the higher margins on PSN sales to make up for the shortfall?)

Edited by Dcubed

Is the design uninspired? Maybe. Will it probably be awkward to figure out where to put it in your entertainment setup? Almost definitely.

But I kind of dig it. 

The Mini Fridge That Can :p

But wait, there's more! First look at the Series X dashboard:

Looks really sleek, I'm a fan. Read a lot of great things about the new Store App too. 

Edited by Julius

First look at the new dashboard...

Looks nice.  The phone integration is also really cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

First look at the new dashboard...

Looks nice.  The phone integration is also really cool.

Updated my post with it at the same moment :laughing: love it though, I really do like it! Launching it first on Series X makes sense, but having it work so well across so many devices is such a smart move. 

Glad they did this deep dive. Love seeing what new dashboards look like :peace:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Is the design uninspired? Maybe. Will it probably be awkward to figure out where to put it in your entertainment setup? Almost definitely.

But I kind of dig it. 

The Mini Fridge That Can :p

But wait, there's more! First look at the Series X dashboard:

Looks really sleek, I'm a fan. Read a lot of great things about the new Store App too. 

Hardware looks good in person.  I dig the understated design (literally the polar opposite of the "You Will Be Lucky To Grace Your Living Room With Our Presence" PS5 design!), and it has a lot of nice little touches that give off a premium feel to the overall design.

The mini fridge that could indeed! :hehe:

I really love the hardware design, the box itself is lovely, same with the controller.

The dashboard has gotten a lot better lately, thankfully.

I think the console looks great, way better than the PS5. The dashboard design is also really nice, and although I expect most of the phone integration will end up being part of the PS app too it’s good to see them commit to it like this.

They’ve done a really good job on this side of things.

The next Xbox Showcase will be the opening show of Tokyo Game Show (outside of the ceremony), starting at 12:00 BST on 24th September. 

Potential leak of relesse date, price and look at the Xbox Series S.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-release-date-and-price-finally-revealed

November 10th is supposedly the date for both pieces of hardware. Series X launching at $499.99, with a $35 monthly All Access plan. Series S at $299.99, $25 monthly All Access plan.

xbox-series-s-and-x-together.jpg

Series S is pretty much just the One S but with a black cooling vent and maybe a bit thicker. No disc drive as rumoured.

So they'll have the low end with the Series S, that was pretty much a given at this point as there was no way Sony would counter that piece of hardware as they're focused solely on the next jump (quite rightly). But that and those All Access plans will make these very accessible at the end of the year and with the current pandemic and some out of jobs, pushing that hard may make a difference for shifting consoles. The lack of a big first party title at launch won't help, and throughout the console's lifespan but I think we can all at least hope Microsoft are going to progress in that department.

Still, if true that's a $100 cheaper than I was expecting. Sony will undoubtedly match that but with what bit of hardware I don't know. $449/499 for discless and normal PS5 would be great but I do wonder what the margins will be for Sony as they're tight with that based off of the last production costs I saw (in the ballpark of $470-$480).

Anyway, the game of l cat and mouse looks to be ending. Should get confirmation of this soon enough (and I'd expect a straight conversion to pounds for us in the UK, probably the same for Europe) and I expect Sony will follow not far behind.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Okay now I'm confused again about the different versions.

When is the Series E coming out?

Either a controlled leak or a genuine leak but the Xbox Twitter account just posted this:

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a rushed announcement/press release later today about this.

@Ashley, if I understand it correctly, though it is still a little confusing, the Series S and X share the same CPU, NVME SSD and GPU but the GPU has been downclocked on the Series S to focus more on 1080p resolution, maybe 1440p depending on the game (its pretty much a One X so it might even get some basic 4K). The Series X is the full whack 4K60fps box thats promising up to 120fps and potentially 8k. Both will be capable of ray tracing I believe, I might be wrong on that.

Essentially Series S is your entry for those who are still rocking a 1080p TV with the Series X being the more expensive and technical hardware for those with 4K TV setups, essentially the true next gen console.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this