NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Sooo.... this is more or less a PC now, isn't it? I mean, it looks like your average everyday ITX PC tower. I bet it's not gonna be cheap either :p 

I made a stupid picture. Don't judge me. 

Edited by ArtMediocre
Added picture
  • Haha 2

Doubt I'll be getting one of these until a couple of years after release unless they knock it out of the park right out of the gate with some amazing exclusives.

The exclusives have to do the talking and if they ain't up to scratch then I won't be buying it.

They are going to have to do something pretty special to win me over. Both Gears and Halo are mere shadows of what they used to be and Rare no longer produce the games I want from them. I loved Hellblade but a sequel to it is not a console seller for me.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft pushing the digital only space with Game Pass. It's obvious that's where the industry is heading but I'll continue to dislike and fight against it as long as possible. :p 

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

xbox.jpg

ELof_H3UwAAIXLM?format=jpg&name=900x900

I love the internet sometimes :D 

Ah, so that's where Boris Johnson was hiding till last night.

The console is certainly not a looker but at this point, we're getting different versions of the same black box so there's not much they were likely to do to deviate from that. I suspect that, given the specs doing the rounds, it's going to be an expensive console out of the gate and so they've maybe decided that designing something aesthetically pleasing was the least of their worries as they try to keep the price down.

As long as the PSU remains outside the build of the console, as with the One, then I'll be happy enough when I pick it up down the line.

But yeah, the games have to come first and foremost and sure, they've got all 15 studios working on titles. I suspect that Everwild is one, Forza Motorsport/Horizon will be another and Halo Infinite along with Hellblade 2 now are likely to be the first set of games out the gate. They'll appeal to a certain market but they're probably not the major draws that Sony are likely to have in the first 12-18 months. They'll have to bring some new IPs to bear that have that instant wow factor come E3 and when people go hands on to show they have done more than simply say they're improving things.

As I say, I'll likely pick one up but it'll probably be a year or so out from launch unless they nail that launch lineup/period.

I'm guessing this is the more powerful "Anaconda" and the "Lockhart" will be a more compact model shown later down the line.

Interesting though, it really is a mini-pc like this. That is promising for its power, but I really wonder what this thing is going to cost.

• Thanks 1

I missed most of the Xbox one’s life because my release console broke straight away! Only just picked up a One X the other month, I’m loving game pass! I will most likely get one of these at release as well!.

The fact that this is backward compatible makes me a bit more likely to buy one, as i could then play all the games i missed on the Xbone as well as any new ones. But like everyone else, I'll probably wait and see what other games it has first.

They should finally introduce the Dreamcast backwards compatibility. That would convince me to get one straight away.

• Like 1

Just caught up on things... very ballsy for Microsoft to give up completely on trying to make a console in an actual console form factor.  This thing is literally a PC now, complete with ITX tower case.  It also basically guarantees that the Series X will significantly outgun the PS5 in terms of specs; purely because they now have so much more headroom to work with in terms of heat & wattage distribution; even physical hardware upgrades aren't out of the question.

I'm starting to see what they're going for here... Scarlett (Series X) will basically be the no-compromises approach, complete with full ITX size case, while Lockhart (Series S) will retain the console form factor, but come with lesser specs and a much cheaper price.  Series X will probably target 4K (or fake 8K) while Series S will target 1080p (or fake 4K).

$799.99 for Series X and $399.99 for Series S, with Game Pass being the real killer app.

I can see this working.  Sony might well be caught in the middle of no mans land here... Especially with Microsoft having Game Pass, the expensive hardware/super cheap software approach has worked absolute wonders on smartphones and I can definitely see this working with dedicated gaming...

Couple this with lower-end support going to Switch/Switch 2 and Microsoft have a pretty effective three-way pincer attack going on Sony.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone at Microsoft try saying "Xbox Series X" out loud because it just sounds so clunky.

• Haha 1

I don't think there is any way it'll cost as much as $799, there would be no practical reason to pay that much when a  similarly capable PC wouldn't cost much more. The Series X is definitely going to be sold for a premium price but anything over $500 would be truly silly.

If we go with the logic that the Xbox Series X is the same size as two Nintendo GameCube's stacked...

The GameCube originally launched for £129.99...

The price of two GameCube's would be £259.98...

Add inflation to that, let's just call it the price of another GC console £129.99

Put it all together and you get... £389.97

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it because there's a chance it will undercut the PS5 at that price or at least keep it competitive plus they can easily make it for less than that, or make a loss at the start and make it back on subsciptions.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Haha 2

I can see this working.  Sony might well be caught in the middle of no mans land here... Especially with Microsoft having Game Pass, the expensive hardware/super cheap software approach has worked absolute wonders on smartphones and I can definitely see this working with dedicated gaming...

Couple this with lower-end support going to Switch/Switch 2 and Microsoft have a pretty effective three-way pincer attack going on Sony.

Unfortunately for Microsoft though they lack three things - the games, sufficient Japanese support, and brand loyalty outside of America.

You can make the specs as good as you want, Game Pass as cheap as you want, but if you don't have the games it's not going to matter in the long run.

23 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

If we go with the logic that the Xbox Series X is the same size as two Nintendo GameCube's stacked...

Add inflation to that, let's just call it the price of another GC console £129.99

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it because there's a chance it will undercut the PS5 at that price or at least keep it competitive plus they can easily make it for less than that, or make a loss at the start and make it back on subsciptions.

Flawless logic :p

• Haha 2

On 14/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, S.C.G said:

We all know the Wii was just two GameCubes

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We all know the Wii was just two GameCubes

And even that's generous, in terms of power it was later thought to be only about 1.5 times as powerful as the GameCube.

Imagine if the Xbox Series X had to be the size of however many GameCube consoles it's equal to in terms of power... some of the above images would be almost accurate. :p

Also, I just thought... that would make the power brick almost the size of a small generator.

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

All future consoles and PCs will be measured in terms of Gamecube power.

Just like all sizes in Britain are measured in football pitches and inflation is measured in Freddos

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this