NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Don't know whether to laugh or cry on behalf of those people. I checked Amazon this morning and noticed it was still up, conpletely forgot that Microsoft wanted them taken off shelves, but guess Amazon still has stock left to burn through. 

I'm sure this won't end up in someone's kid having a meltdown this Christmas :laughing:

Because convenience. It's almost Christmas and I would rather not lose over £500 for a console, plus games pass straight off. 

Of course, it costs more in the long run, but most credit options do. 

For me, there will likely be longer periods where I'm not playing my Series X as there's not going to be game after game coming out for it whilst the console is in its infancy. 

Id personally feel better spending £28 a month for something that I'm not using all the time to begin with over £500 all in one go.

Yeah, I guess my point was that if you have reasonable savings it makes no sense to go All Access (the £29 a month is merely perception; the second you sign up for it you really are paying 700 quid). For people who would not be able to afford other things by spending £530 in one go, I totally understand why this would appeal, but just wanted to put out this information for people that might be otherwise unaware.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry on behalf of those people. I checked Amazon this morning and noticed it was still up, conpletely forgot that Microsoft wanted them taken off shelves, but guess Amazon still has stock left to burn through. 
I'm sure this won't end up in someone's kid having a meltdown this Christmas :laughing:
You have to wonder, would some of the people who made this mistake even know they got the wrong console. A lot of the games run on both X1 and Series consoles. :laughing:
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:
8 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:
Because convenience. It's almost Christmas and I would rather not lose over £500 for a console, plus games pass straight off. 
Of course, it costs more in the long run, but most credit options do. 
For me, there will likely be longer periods where I'm not playing my Series X as there's not going to be game after game coming out for it whilst the console is in its infancy. 
Id personally feel better spending £28 a month for something that I'm not using all the time to begin with over £500 all in one go.

Yeah, I guess my point was that if you have reasonable savings it makes no sense to go All Access (the £29 a month is merely perception; the second you sign up for it you really are paying 600 quid). For people who would not be able to afford other things by spending £530 in one go, I totally understand why this would appeal.

Absolutely. I think it's a great option, especially for parents who maybe want to get their kids the new console but don't have £500 for Christmas. 

For me, I could have bought it upfront and nearly did from Argos until it went out of stock... But I like that it's just all there. 2 years, one payment, no messing about. 

If I don't use the console every week, I'm not bothered. Whereas if I'd spent £500 I'd probably be pressuring myself to get the most out of it otherwise I might have buyer's remorse. Whereas I don't think I'll feel that with this option. 

Also, I intend to buy my PS5 outright next year and this is a good way of enjoying both consoles without spending over a grand off the bat for the privilege. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. I think it's a great option, especially for parents who maybe want to get their kids the new console but don't have £500 for Christmas. 
For me, I could have bought it upfront and nearly did from Argos until it went out of stock... But I like that it's just all there. 2 years, one payment, no messing about. 
If I don't use the console every week, I'm not bothered. Whereas if I'd spent £500 I'd probably be pressuring myself to get the most out of it otherwise I might have buyer's remorse. Whereas I don't think I'll feel that with this option. 
Also, I intend to buy my PS5 outright next year and this is a good way of enjoying both consoles without spending over a grand off the bat for the privilege.

I think regarding the bolded bit, again I'd say this is down to a fairly common perception of credit rather than the reality that £700 has been committed to a purchase up front, regardless of how long the payment period is. If anything people should really feel they need to get more use out of the console if you use credit because you're paying £165 more overall.

Not slamming credit for people who actually need it, but for a games console it feels fair to level some criticism at this pricing.

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I think regarding the bolded bit, again I'd say this is down to a fairly common perception of credit rather than the reality that £700 has been committed to a purchase up front, regardless of how long the payment period is. If anything people should really feel they need to get more use out of the console if you use credit because you're paying £165 more overall.

Not slamming credit for people who actually need it, but for a games console it feels fair to level some criticism at this pricing.

Why should it be criticised? Credit always costs more. It's no secret or surprise to anyone. 

If anyone doesn't realise that then that's on them but I think most people who have opted for it would say they'd rather do it that way than lose all of that money upfront in one hit. £28 a month is much easier to swallow than over £500. 

Most tech sites seem to think this is a great option from Microsoft and a viable way for people to get a brand new console at a pretty good price point. Most people pay more for a two year phone contract at the end of the day but would probably be better buying the phone outright and going SIM only. 

Choices choices. 

Why should it be criticised? Credit always costs more. It's no secret or surprise to anyone. 
If anyone doesn't realise that then that's on them but I think most people who have opted for it would say they'd rather do it that way than lose all of that money upfront in one hit. £28 a month is much easier to swallow than over £500. 
Most tech sites seem to think this is a great option from Microsoft and a viable way for people to get a brand new console at a pretty good price point. Most people pay more for a two year phone contract at the end of the day but would probably be better buying the phone outright and going SIM only. 
Choices choices. 

Again we will have to disagree on this but generally I think this country has done a poor job in educating people about the dangers of the credit mindset, and explains why a lot of people are in debt. The example you gave about feeling better about £29 a month more or less sums up the way a lot of people can look at the smaller number without doing the maths to see they're paying an extortionate amount more with credit (not saying you are that person, clearly you understand it, but that "live for the moment" way of thinking is common). For some things credit is absolutely vital (e.g. mortgages) or for people who literally can't get by otherwise, but I do think for a luxury purchase like a games console then some level of criticism is valid.

10 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
17 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:
Choices choices. 

Again we will have to disagree on this but generally I think this country has done a poor job in educating people about the dangers of the credit mindset, and explains why a lot of people are in debt. The example you gave about feeling better about £29 a month more or less sums up the way a lot of people can look at the smaller number without doing the maths to see they're paying an extortionate amount more with credit (not saying you are that person, clearly you understand it, but that "live for the moment" way of thinking is common). For some things credit is absolutely vital (e.g. mortgages) or for people who literally can't get by otherwise, but I do think for a luxury purchase like a games console then some level of criticism is valid.

Yeah it very clearly comes down to how you feel about credit. 

Credit allows people to get things they cannot afford in one go. If people are not aware of the dangers of credit then that is on them. Ive always had something on credit. TV, phone, laptop. I have a great credit score and my credit has helped me maintain that score because I have never missed a payment on anything. 

My partner hates credit, would never entertain the idea for anything and wonders why when he reluctantly looked at getting a loan with his 995 credit score his results were all over 20% APR. With no big lender wanting to touch him. 

Anyway, it's not really on topic anymore. For me this is a good option for a lot of people and whether you agree with it or not I don't think anyone can deny it is beneficial for some. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Keep up

Never. You can't make me. You're not even my real dad.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Never. You can't make me. You're not even my real dad.

Luke, I am your father.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

No, I am your father.

:p

jA2Jmvl.gif

(I mean, unless Goafer's name is Luke and you weren't going for that, but uh...)

Edited by Julius

33 minutes ago, Julius said:

:p

jA2Jmvl.gif

(I mean, unless Goafer's name is Luke and you weren't going for that, but uh...)

My name is actually Luke, but I'm just glad he didn't go with "daddy".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Daddy, I am your father!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goafer said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5652039

• Haha 2

Seems the All Access night are with Smyths continues. Before they had sorted things out with those who got approved with Klarna, they had put the Series X back up for pre-order through All Access and it was gone in minutes. People are now waiting as they piecemeal send out emails that give access to try and confirm those pre-orders but it just sounds like a mess.

Ended up signing up for Credit Expert on Experian and there's no evidence of a knock to my credit score from the ordeal yesterday nor does it look as though they've carried out a credit check at all going from my credit report so that's a relief. Still awaiting Klarna getting back to me as to whether it was an error that sent the email about a direct debit being setup or not but nothing on my bank account so again, looks like I may have dodged a bullet and their system being overloaded seems to have saved me in the end.

Doubt Microsoft are happy with how its being handled, even no their head of Marketing is having to answer loads of queries on Twitter. I'd expect at the end of this the Smyths won't be a partner for All Access.

27 minutes ago, Cube said:

Nintendo is next.

Them too?

I thought it was just going to be SEGA :laughing:

If I get a Series S, will it let me download/play my Xbox One games I own on disk? I only ask because, you know, there's no disk drive!

• Like 1

If I get a Series S, will it let me download/play my Xbox One games I own on disk? I only ask because, you know, there's no disk drive!
No, you would need the Series X.
  • Thanks 1

It seems that any Xbox console can be used to play the Xbox Series X version of your games.

• Thanks 1

Am I missing something, how is this a dig at Sony? What are Sony doing that is different to 'Smart Delivery'?

2 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Am I missing something, how is this a dig at Sony? What are Sony doing that is different to 'Smart Delivery'?

They don't have a fancy name for it.

And it's Sony...Sony bad for a few certain members here :)

Sign in to follow this