NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Esequiel

Xbox Series S | X Console Discussion

Microsoft have confirmed it.

Good news for me, as if Microsoft make something special this year (after a whole generation of alright), my PC will be able to play it.

Yeah, that's a controlled leak if I ever saw one :p

Anyways, nice price. I'm still not interested personally, but I can see many people going for the Series S. It's basically a Game Pass machine ::shrug: Doubt it'll sway anyone who's got a decent gaming PC, though.

Yeah nice entry point for Gamepass, if I do pickup an Xbox at some point this will be the one I go for.

• Like 1

Well, there we go. Xbox just couldn't hold out any longer, could they? :p

Great prices for both, solid pieces of hardware. Won't be there Day 1, but wouldn't be surprised if I end up picking up a Series S once Xbox has started firing on all cylinders with their own studios a little ways down the road. All Access is a great idea, interested to see how it goes with this offering. 

Still find a Tuesday release for a console a little odd, wonder if that means they know something about that Friday that we don't...

It's a great idea tbh, and that's a great price for a next gen piece of hardware. I've only got a 1080p TV, and whilst I'm mainly a Nintendo / Sony camper, GamePass is a great initiative. 

Boy...I can't wait to play Resident Evil 4 once again ;)

Still baffles me why they try to keep these things secret, or indeed how leaks get out (talking about the Lockhart rumour that'd been about for months, this 'reveal' was clearly controlled)

If the only/main difference is the disc drive then count me in for this version.

Still interested to see how all these different options are going to work for MS...

Just now, Map said:

Wow, £250 in the UK.

Just saw that, had been expecting a 1:1 across the board. Questioning whether I want one at launch (I think games elsewhere will keep me busy, but still...).

Damn, Xbox really wants the UK back on side, huh? Should be a very interesting quarter to see how sales go, that price is quite alluring!

• Thanks 1

UK price revealed...

Holy shit!!!!!!! It's cheaper than a Switch!!!! :o 

I can't believe these prices!! Microsoft must be losing insane amounts of money on these things! That's squarely within impulse buy territory!!

This is a crazy good price. I think this really shows how high a price the One X was by comparison (£450! Almost double).

Xbox Series S reveal trailer:

- Nearly 60% smaller than Xbox Series X
- Custom 512GB NVME SSD powered by Xbox Velocity Architecture (like the SX)
- 1440p at up to 120fps
- DirectX Raytracing
- VRS
- 4K streaming media playback

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

512GB SSD.  Knew there had to be a catch.

That's still fantastic though! Not like that's gonna be a huge difference either way (Both are gonna be way too small anyway).

Targetting 1440p? Not 1080p? That's surprising! Good luck with that.

Edited by Dcubed

Not bad, not bad.

Maybe something for me to get further down the line. Seems like a nice alternative to building a new PC (at least for someone who can't spend a whole lot of money at once).

Love the Xbox hardware design.

Just now, Dcubed said:

512GB SSD.  Knew there had to be a catch.

That's still fantastic though! Not like that's gonna be a huge difference either way (Both are gonna be way too small anyway).

I guess people will need to start getting used to deleting games they've finished and have no intention of going back to.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Love the Xbox hardware design.

I guess people will need to start getting used to deleting games they've finished and have no intention of going back to.

With most people buying this with Game Pass; that's exactly what they're no doubt expecting people to do.

Either way, you're gonna have to do that with the Series X and PS5 anyway; not like there's a huge difference in SSD size.  Much like the Basic Wii U VS the Premium Wii U, you're gonna have to buy additional storage anyway, so the Basic model is the better deal overall (sans pack-in game, but that's not relevent here).

Both the PS4 and Xbox One S are going for about £249 at the moment. I wonder if they'll get a dramatic price drop, or if Microsoft will discontinue the Xbox One S just to avoid any confusion.

2 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Both the PS4 and Xbox One S are going for about £249 at the moment. I wonder if they'll get a dramatic price drop, or if Microsoft will discontinue the Xbox One S just to avoid any confusion.

They already have discontinued the XboneS (and the XboneX).  They discontinued them about 2 or so months ago.

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

They already have discontinued the XboneS (and the XboneX).  They discontinued them about 2 or so months ago.

Ah that'd make sense. I wonder if all the remaining stock will suddenly vanish now.

Was not expecting £249.99 for the UK for the Series S, was expecting a straight conversion. Thats extremely aggressively priced for a November launch.

While it may not have the exclusives out of the gate, that's a banger of a price for what is essentially a Series X with a downlocked GPU and smaller hard drive. Its guaranteed that the PS5 will fly off of the shelf on the quality and prospect of first party games at launch but with that Series S, I can see that selling extremely well at that price here, especially for Gamepass. I don't think the lack of a disc drive is going to hold that back.

Actually tempted by that myself seeing as I bought a new TV at the start of this year thats only 1080p and I'm already invested in that ecosystem (I've spent a ton of money in all console ecosystems this gen, my poor wallet weeps at the hundreds of PS4, Swotch and Xbox One digital games I've bought). Probably would still opt to go with the Series X on the All Access plan  because it'll only add £20 to my current Gamepass Ultimate sub, but yeah good price for a good bit of kit.

So whats the thought that the leaked $499 for the Series X converts to £450 over in the UK? That would surely be a big one for Microsoft as I still just don't know if Sony can match that with the standard PS5 (Discless sure they'll match that but for the standard I don't know. I'm still expecting £500 and would happily and will happily spend that for a PS5 at launch if I have the money).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this WAS unplanned then? How much bloody longer were they planning on waiting!? They had clearly won the price game anyway.

Sony's in a tight spot now though... How much are they willing to bleed to match the Series X now? (Microsoft are clearly taking a bath on the Series X price; and are basically exsanguinating with the Series S!).  Surely there's no way they can hope to match these prices, so they might as well get the bad news over with...

So, if this Xbox Series S is no more powerful than an Xbox One Series X (a current gen console) does that mean that all Xbox Series X (next gen) will run on all current gen and next gen platforms, but in a way which is considered, vastly "downgraded" but still essentially running the games?

Seriously tempted by the Series S as a GamePass machine for the bedroom. I cannot believe that price. 

Ball's in your court, Sony.

Edited by Nicktendo

As someone who hasn't been following this much, I'm wondering how much 'better' the Series X will be compared to the Series S. Will it be worth twice the price? Will the Series S be a severely diminished experience? 

£250 is such a great price, I'm wondering whether it'll end up selling more than the premium model. If it had a disc drive it'd be even more tempting, though I know the low price is them betting that people will sign up to Game Pass because it's all digital. 

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

So, if this Xbox Series S is no more powerful than an Xbox One Series X (a current gen console) does that mean that all Xbox Series X (next gen) will run on all current gen and next gen platforms, but in a way which is considered, vastly "downgraded" but still essentially running the games?

No, it's much more powerful than the Xbox One X.  It's the same system as the upcoming Series X, just that it's running games at a lower resolution (targetting 1440p instead of 4K-8K).  You still get all the other benefits of the Series X (much better CPU, SSD, suspending games etc); the only downside being that games are rendered at a lower resolution, you lose the disc drive and that you get a 512GB SSD in the box instead of 1TB (Oh no! The horror!).

It's also about 60% smaller than the Series X, which is very nice!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this