NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

2021 PDC World Darts Championship

Tomorrow is the day we've all been waiting for: The 2020 PDC World Darts Championship begins!

I think there are a couple of darts fans here?

As is tradition for me, I won't be able to watch the first matches :D Luckily, none of the three German participants are playing tomorrow :peace: 

Edited by drahkon

I think we're the only two darts fans here unfortunately but I'm not as excited for this year as I have been in the past - I think the UK election might have some bearing on that. 

It still seems so weird having it start so early and I'm sure by the time the matches get going I'll be right up for it. Hoping that Peter Wright can finally put his demons to rest and win it, though it would be nice to see Barney go far - he deserves a good send off.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

I think we're the only two darts fans here unfortunately but I'm not as excited for this year as I have been in the past - I think the UK election might have some bearing on that. 

Just read up on the election and I understand your sentiment. Not a great day :( 

10 hours ago, killthenet said:

Hoping that Peter Wright can finally put his demons to rest

That would be great. But I'd prefer Hopp to win the Championship :p 

On 13.12.2019 at 12:54 AM, killthenet said:

though it would be nice to see Barney go far - he deserves a good send off.

Well...

Gutted for him, it would have been a real fairytale for him to lift the title again but he really just doesn't have it any more. His from this year has been appalling and he didn't have enough self confidence to pull himself through that match. 

We'll miss you Barney! Darts won't be the same without Eye of the Tiger

• Like 1

I mentioned last year about how I didn't think the new format was fair to the seeded players and the issues seem to have continued this year. The only seeds to win so far are MVG and Gary Anderson, I think giving the players a bye to round two means that when they come out for their first match their opponents have already played and settled their nerves a bit. It even took MVG a while to acclimatise to the arena - he lost the first set to Klassen - and the format is short enough that it can have a real impact on the outcome of the game. 

Outside of that Suzuki's match on Sunday night was amazing, it looked like she'd given up when she went 2-0 down but she played incredibly to get back into the match. If her finishing had been better in the early stages she might well have won it, really great match.

There's been some great matches over the past couple of days. Highlight was obviously Fallon Sherrock beating Ted Evetts but there have been a bunch of other high quality matches

• Like 1

On 19.12.2019 at 9:35 PM, killthenet said:

There's been some great matches over the past couple of days.

Indeed :peace: 

Nico Kurz just won his game. So happy for him :D And now let's hope Maximiser wins his match.
Edit: He's not playing at his usual level. Gonna be a close one...

Edited by drahkon

Hopp managed it eventually, probably would have been the game of the night if Wright v Malicdem hadn't been an absolute classic. 

You must be pretty pleased to have 2 German's win tonight, would be great for Hopp to make it further in.

She's done it again! Sherrock's doubling was incredible, if she can get her scoring more consistent then she stands every chance of beating Dobey in the next round. I feel bad for Mensur though, he's such a nice guy and didn't deserve the boos from the crowd. I'm sure he knows it was only because the crowd were so heavily in favour of Sherrock - he was laughing about it when he walked out initially - but the booing in pressure moments definitely had an effect on him. 

On 21.12.2019 at 12:51 AM, killthenet said:

You must be pretty pleased to have 2 German's win tonight, would be great for Hopp to make it further in.

Yes, very happy :peace: 
Gonna be tough matches in the next round for both of them. Hopefully Hopp will be able to play much better today than in his first match.

13 hours ago, killthenet said:

boos from the crowd

I hate it. It's become more common in darts, though. E.g., whenever Hopp plays in Germany his opponents get booed relentlessly. It's one thing to be "against" someone because you like the other but in those cases it's just disrespectful. 

:(

Hopp just wasn't himself this World Championship. Adding to that, Labanauskas checkout percentage was really good.

Alright, Nico Kurz. Time for you to step up tomorrow :D 

Nico with a good fight, but Humphries was just better. 

Next year we'll see the first German player to ever reach the 1/16 finals of the World Darts Championship. I'm sure of it :peace: 

Edit: Oh no, Nico had tears in his eyes during an interview :( And the interviewer didn't pick up on that and just kept asking questions about the match...

Edited by drahkon

I've felt like shit all day but at least it meant I could watch all of the darts! Some topsy turvy matches today, especially in the evening session. The QF line up looks quite varied, lots of different nationalities, but it seems set up for an MVG v Price final 

• Like 1

Didn't get the chance to watch the evening session yesterday. I missed some close matches apparently :D 

12 hours ago, killthenet said:

it seems set up for an MVG v Price final 

That would be the perfect final for me. Both have been exceptional so far.

Price just wasn't at it last night at all, he was obviously annoyed at his form early on and let Wright's harmless jibe at the end of set one get to him. Wright was a bit off too at times but he was much more consistent and composed. Second semi final was weird, Aspinall didn't play to his normal level and MVG was obviously out of sorts. If MVG plays like that tomorrow night then he has no chance against Wright.

I'm obviously hoping that Peter Wright can pull it off but I have no idea what kind of final to expect. Both players have been up and down during the tournament so it'll probably be all over the place again. 

Peter Snakebite Wright has done it!

What a match by him. Deserved to win this from start to finish.

And just look how happy he is. :D 

An incredible final from both players, I can't believe Wright has finally done it! 

A fitting end to another brilliant tournament, I hope Peter Wright can kick on from here and win a few more big tournaments, he deserves to have a few more in his trophy cabinet.

@killthenet

New year, new PDC World Darts Championship.

Last year you haven't been excited because of the election. What about this year? I mean...there hasn't been something huge going on that could dampen the excitement, has there? :p

Anyways, first session wasn't really surprising and not particularly high quality. But Peter Wright did deliver :D

peter-wright-110~_v-ARDFotogalerie.jpg

Tonight Max Hopp will play his first game. Should be a win, but who knows...anything can happen in the world of darts.

It's a shame that if Nico Kurz wins his first match on Saturday there will definitely one German player less in the tournament come Monday as he'd have to play against Gabriel Clemens. Tough luck for us Germans :p

Anyways, no fans for the tourney. Not sure what to think.
On one hand, the party and fans were always fun to see, on the other hand there will be no distractions for the players, especially no booing. The sport itself will be the focus and to be honest, I think I kinda like it.

Edited by drahkon

No problem getting excited for it this year, it's a welcome distraction from all the nonsense going on in the world. Last night was a bit flat until the end of the third match, then it really felt like it was the World Championships again. Even with 1000 fans in last night it was a totally different atmosphere to what it's usually like, looked more like a bingo hall than the Ally Pally. 

I was worried that it was going to seem like a cavernous space with no fans in at all but the changes they've made to the arena have definitely alleviated that, adding the extra runway and the banners make it feel a bit more cosy. There is the slim possibility that fans will be allowed in later in the tournament but the way things are going in the UK it seems highly unlikely London will be moved back into Tier 2 anytime soon. 

Really good session this afternoon, Dobey looked out for the count but raised his level enormously - Smith didn't do much wrong at all but Dobey blitzed him in the final set

• Like 1

Hopp whithout any problems. :peace:

No upsets so far, but Dobey did have some troubles against Smith.

A few interesting matchups today:

Gurney - O'Connor
de Sousa - Smith

Mistakenly posted this in the football thread, must have just been looking for the numbers.

Always great to see Paul Lim win, he and Humphries put on a great match - the second leg of that final set was so nervy!

Loads of good matches today, Hunt pulled off a shock against Hughes this afternoon and Brooks nearly dumped out Duijvenbode. Don't think Wade will have as much trouble against Rydz, given his recent form, but you never know with this tournament!

Edited by killthenet

Well...
Hopp wasn't there for the first set and half of the second.
King played incredible, but gave Hopp a few chances. He wasn't able to take advantage, though :(

That was gutting for Jamie Lewis, hitting the treble 16 when he wanted the single and busting his score. Should have had a dart to win the second leg of the deciding set too, Gerwyn was very lucky to win that in the end. 

Clemens v Kurz will be interesting, Kurz looked really good in the first round but Clemens has been solid all year. Hopp was unlucky in the end, you don't often see Mervyn King play at such a high level for a whole match

Sign in to follow this