NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Slay the Spire (Switch, PS4, XB1, PC)

527446-slay-the-spire-nintendo-switch-front-cover.jpg

It is time, my friends. Time to have a dedicated thread for the game to end all games. The game that conquered every "Best video games ever"-list and will reign supreme in every "THESE TOP 15 GAMES WILL MAKE YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR EX-WIFE ALL OVER AGAIN FOR WHATEVER REASON! SUBSCRIBE!"-videos.

Name? Slay the Spire
Genre? Rogue-like-deck-building-extravaganza.
Is it good? Dude...
Should you buy it? DUDE...

Anyways. @S.C.G bought a copy and I expect him to be active in this thread, and in this thread only. @Sméagol wanted to create a dedicaed thread for Slay the Spire but it is mine now. @drahkon, I was just checking whether I can tag myself. What a useless feature.
I expect this thread to be my personal Slay the Spire diary and I expect people to read every entry without fail.

Soooooo, what have I been up to in this game? I tried to ascend further with The Ironclad and have just beaten Ascension 8. Had a great mix of sustain (lots of defends with Barricade) and scaling (Demon Form):
Barricade.pngDemonForm.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Anyways. @S.C.G bought a copy and I expect him to be active in this thread, and in this thread only. 

That would mean Sam would actually have to play a game that he bought. :D 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Looks like a children's card game...

The perfect game for you, then. :p 

• Haha 2

Funnily enough, I decided to jump on this earlier this morning. Haven't really played much since the summer and it's just been sitting there on my Xbox One so thought I should get back into it as I try to play through others things for sorting out my GOTY list (I'm also working through DMC V which I just sort of dropped but have started fresh and found it really enjoyable now, especially playing as V as that play style seems to sit better with me than Nero/Dante).

Did a run as the Silent for the first time (I'd mainly played as the Ironclad previously) and got into a pretty good rhythm with a good mix of cards that made a lot of fights easy for me. I gave myself 2 Endless Agony cards for my deck which duplicate when drawn into your hand and give 4 damage each for 0 energy. I also added in 2 Blade Dance cards which add 2 shivs for 4 damage each at 0 energy each as well. With those two types and a bunch of poison based cards, I was doing well but my defensive cards just weren't up to snuff for blocking and so I just ran out of health before the next campfire against an enemy whose strength went up by 3 each turn and who instantly got block which also went up by 3 each turn as well.

But that run has got it's hooks back in me and I'm itching to play more. Think I'll invest in the Switch version because I just want that ease of access now that I'm back in that loop. Something easy to jump into in amongst other things like DMC V, Death Stranding and other things.

Does make me wish so much that Nintendo and Bandai Namco could get Baten Kaitos onto the Switch as I loved that game for the card battle mechanic. But this more than makes up for it just now. Highly recommend playing this though if you do like rogue lites/likes and want something a little different to play now it's the end of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

*enters thread*

Psst... my copy arrived.

*leaves thread*

2 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Does make me wish so much that Nintendo and Bandai Namco could get Baten Kaitos onto the Switch as I loved that game for the card battle mechanic.

Baten Kaitos is an RPG masterpiece. Absolutely loved it back in the day. It has one of my favourite OSTs.

Spoiler

Back to Slay the Spire. I've won an Ascension 9 run with The Ironclad
Snecko Eye is the best :D 

Once I've won Ascension 10 I'll probably move on to The Silent.

Edited by drahkon

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

@Sméagol wanted to create a dedicaed thread for Slay the Spire but it is mine now.

Nooooo!!!!

40 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Back to Slay the Spire. I've won an Ascension 9 run with The Ironclad
Snecko Eye is the best :D 

9? Geez. I'll post decks later but I did get to ascension 4 and 3 with Ironclad and silent respectively. So it's the defect stuck at 2. Ironclad was just a typical block deck, annoyingly enough without the Barricade you mentioned. Silent was annoying because that deck wasn't tight at all. Started out as poison deck.. But due to the loads of artifacts I relied mostly on heavy hitting attack cards. Never took glass knife seriously, but then I witnessed it doing 2 x 46 damage (or something) in this run. That being said, corpse explosion (the very first card I got that run) remained useful up until the elite right before the true boss. Lost to the true boss both times again. I can't deal with Snecko eye / confused. Currently busy with Mario maker, but I'll try to move the defect up later. I've already tried with several decks.. Tried a darkness / lightning deck which was interesting. Want to try it again sometime, and also a lightning / frost hybrid.

Edited by Sméagol

46 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Lost to the true boss both times again.

Yeah, the true boss is the only bad thing about this game, in my opinion. You actually need certain types of decks to counter its moves or you are guaranteed to lose.

46 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Want to try it again sometime, and also a lightning / frost hybrid.

Frost is a must-have with The Defect. In general, The Defect profits a lot from defense. Dealing damage with orbs while keeping up high block is crucial.

Edited by drahkon

Decided to unlock Ascension 10 with the other characters before moving on with The Ironclad.

Had one run (Ascension 4) with The Silent yesterday. It was quite a cool deck (pretty much "gain more energy for next turn") but I made several mistakes during the boss fight (against Donu and Deca) :( 

Ascension 7 unlocked with The Silent. Poison cards + Catalyst (especially upgraded) is the way to go ::shrug: With Corpse Explosion and decent defense it's quite an OP deck.

Catalyst.pngCorpseExplosion.png

@drahkon, I believe you're playing this on PS4? Because I just read the Steam version uses Steam workshop, or in other words, there are custom characters (and other stuff) available. May be actually an incentive for me to double-dip, not because I want to download those, but because I'd like to try my hand at card design.. It's also on sale because of the wintersale.

34 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

@drahkon, I believe you're playing this on PS4? Because I just read the Steam version uses Steam workshop, or in other words, there are custom characters (and other stuff) available.

Yup.

The PC version also comes with the possibility to play the beta branch (which right now means having access to the new official character). I will most likely triple-dip once I'm done with the PS4 and eventually the Switch version (i.e. Platinum trophy/100%). Going by my current playtime of 70 hours it'll take me a looooong time to reach that point, though :D 

Based on your recommendation drahkon I bought this on Switch (currently £20 on eShop). It's really good! My favourite character so far is the third one that can summon orbs. In 3 tries with him I managed to beat it up to the point it forces you to stop. I can see there's a lot to do though, feels like the kind of game you could spend hundreds of hours on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I can see there's a lot to do though, feels like the kind of game you could spend hundreds of hours on.

Indeed. 

26 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

In 3 tries with him I managed to beat it up to the point it forces you to stop

Ohhh, you need to post a screenshot of your deck. Would like to see it. It's no easy feat to finish a run with The Defect on your third try :o 

Glad you're enjoying it. Wish I could play it, but I didn't bring my PS4 with me for the holidays. Have to wait 'til next year :( Unless the game will be on sale for the Switch :D 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Indeed. 

Ohhh, you need to post a screenshot of your deck. Would like to see it. It's no easy feat to finish a run with The Defect on your third try :o 

Glad you're enjoying it. Wish I could play it, but I didn't bring my PS4 with me for the holidays. Have to wait 'til next year :( Unless the game will be on sale for the Switch :D 

Ahh sorry, I don't have a photo. But yeah, I think he's my favourite character - really liked the orb juggling aspect.

That said, I do remember some of the cards that had a big impact, and artefacts:

GofortheEyes - really useful to keep enemy attack down. I upgraded this to apply 2 weak.

Recursion - when upgraded this costs 0, so it's a free orb use followed by a free summon of that orb again. Bonkers, really.

Darkness- dark orbs do a lot of damaged when left on your character long enough, great to combo with other cards.

Loop- excellent card that gives you a free orb use every turn

SelfRepair- when upgraded, heals you 10 at the end of the turn. Compulsory card in my opinion, makes such a difference. Means you can avoid healing at campfires.

Buffer- very good for bosses if they're going to do just 1 big attack.

CreativeAI- the description speaks for itself!

MachineLearning- nice card for making sure you have enough cards to choose from.

Discovery- a nice card I had that let you use powerful cards for cheap.

Transmutation- I was lucky to get this card, which was pretty darn strong. Given I had a lot of energy most rounds, I was able to conjure a lot of free cards to use.

I also stumbled upon a "?" square which upgraded every attack and defense card I had to the +1 versions (not even kidding), and I also took a curse which gave me 1 extra energy every turn in order to have less cards to choose from after battle.

I had some good artefacts, like one that gave me an extra energy at the start of battle, one that healed me at the start of a boss fight, and one that doubled my damage every tenth turn. I had an awful lot of artefacts, actually. 

I found generally that good defensive cards, having lots of energy, and a lot of cards to choose from were the most important things.

Great game!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Ahh sorry, I don't have a photo.

You can check your record via the statistics menu and capture a screenshot :p 

28 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I found generally that good defensive cards, having lots of energy, and a lot of cards to choose from were the most important things.

Yup, that's pretty much it for The Defect. Defensive cards to reduce incoming damage and let orbs do their thing. With certain power cards turns pretty much play themselves :D 

Man, the heart is tough. Faced it a couple of times and got completely wrecked. I'm thinking that my standard tactics aren't going to work here and that it needs some sort of cheese/meta strategy. Bit of a shame it is 10 times harder than anything that has gone before.

9 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Bit of a shame it is 10 times harder than anything that has gone before.

Yup, I've mentioned it before: You need a certain type of deck to counter it. It's actually the only bad thing about the game, in my opinion. The best players almost never go for it ::shrug: 

It's on sale in the US eShop right now. Created a US profile and bought 20$ worth of credit for 17€ so I could get it. I think it's time to check both German and US prices during sales from now on.

Anyway, download's almost finished. Can't wait to play this all day while having the Darts World Championship on TV in the background :D 

Edited by drahkon

Mummified Hand + Power Cards is an awesome combination. Demon Form+ is just insane, if you have the energy to play it.

Edit:

Such a weird run. Started off really slow, but I got some nice strength scaling later on. Lizard Tail was crucial during the Act 3 boss fight.

Edited by drahkon

11 wins, 4 deaths. Not bad, but it's obviously still Ascension 0.

Currently on my way to the final unlock for The Silent. Then it's time for The Defect.

The new character (The Watcher) is set to release on the 14th of January. Sadly PC only, for now, as the console ports still need some more time.

Sign in to follow this