NEurope
Glen-i

Getting into Competitive Pokémon

10 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I think so, yeah. Not actually spent much time preparing that Pokémon TBH, I just thought it would be fun to have the shiny Seismitoad siblings encounter each other in a battle. :grin:

Ah, you did it for funsies. Fair enough. Well, seeing as Swift Swim favours attackers, you'd most likely get the most out of it by maxing out Attack or Sp. Atk. You'd also have to decide whether to make it more speedy or more tanky. Assault Vest is a great item for an Offensive Seismitoad thanks to access to Drain Punch and Scald.

And even though you don't have Water Absorb, your opponent will probably think you do, making them think twice about going for an obvious water attack. Mind games are fun!

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:41 PM, RedShell said:

I just encountered the most bizarre strategy in a ranked doubles battle. My opponent (using all shiny Pokémon BTW *cough* bloody cheat *cough*) sent out Lucario and Whimsicott, the Whimsicott then proceeded to attack the Lucario with a multi hit move and every single hit raised the Lucario’s attack stat, meanwhile it was taking hardly any damage at all! :o It ended up with a 4x attack boost from a single turn (I imagine it could have even been 5) then he Dynamaxed it and basically tore my entire team to shreds! :laughing: 

Afterwards I checked his team out, to try and see how he did it. Basically the Whimsicott has no attack IVs at all, but maxed speed and defense, plus it’s holding a focus sash, and the Lucario has an ability that raises its attack when hit with a dark type move.

2 questions...

How the hell is this guy only in Poké Ball tier 4? :heh:

And how the hell are you supposed to counter a tactic like that? ::shrug:

Just catching up on this thread. I wouldn't give your opponent too much credit for that strategy as it's very likely he either rented that team or netteamed. That strategy was demonstrated by WolfeyGlick on Youtube.

So yeah, this will be where they've got it from. People in general will just want to win but not necessarily know how to win so they will just copy what the best players use without any concept of why that works. Once they get up to higher ranks they will probably get found out...

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2020 at 7:24 PM, Glen-i said:

Oh BTW, I'm still open to any other N-E trainers that want to have a crack.

I can throw together 6 Pokemon if you're still up for it.

52 minutes ago, Ike said:

I can throw together 6 Pokemon if you're still up for it.

Sorry, just saw.

Is 9:30 good for you?

31 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Sorry, just saw.

Is 9:30 good for you?

Fine with me.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Fine with me.

Righto, I'll open a Doubles room with the code 8274.

Oh, and heads up, I'll be using all 6 Pokemon.

Edited by Glen-i

Just now, Glen-i said:

Nope, rematch, not fair for me to win that with 2 more Pokémon then you.

Ah, I didn't see your previous edit. I was too used to the battle spot rules.

7 minutes ago, Ike said:

Nah :heh:

Your smiley suggested you weren't serious!

Now I feel bad.

Edited by Glen-i

Well earned win there, @Ike. Your Alcremie was a proper rock repellant.

Had a feeling you could pull it off with the right foresight.

Just now, Ike said:

You were very unlucky with 3 Stone Edge misses in a row.

That's the risk I knew I'd be taking. Powerful attack, but it can let me down. Only have myself to blame for that. In hindsight, I should've have went for Stomping Tantrum after the first miss, but I was too busy chasing that Critical chance.

Lesson learnt.

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Good games. I guess that "team" can't handle Tyranatar very well.

I mean, there are so many possibilities in Pokémon, that you can't avoid a blind spot, it's all about predicting what is the biggest threat and shutting it down before it can do too much damage.

@RedShell taught me that Eiscue was a big one for me, so I tweaked my team to better handle them.

4 of us should get a Multi Battle going some time.

My Hydreigon is going to need some counciling after all those Focus Blasts to the face.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Your smiley suggested you weren't serious!

Now I feel bad.

You still would have won anyway.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well earned win there, @Ike. Your Alcremie was a proper rock repellant.

Had a feeling you could pull it off with the right foresight.

Honestly, I thought you had it in the bag after my terrible turn 1 and then Will O' Wisp missed. Those Stone Edge misses really screwed you over.

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, there are so many possibilities in Pokémon, that you can't avoid a blind spot, it's all about predicting what is the biggest threat and shutting it down before it can do too much damage.

It's one of the most used Pokemon you kinda have to really.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Honestly, I thought you had it in the bag after my terrible turn 1 and then Will O' Wisp missed. Those Stone Edge misses really screwed you over.

Wasn't as embarrassing as me using Earth Power on your Rotom in the first battle. Completely stupid beginner mistake.

Got a competitive "team" coming together somewhat. It still needs it's IVs ironed out but I'm stubborn in that the first Pokemon to reach Level 100 in game should be my in-game tyeam so that will have to wait for now. 4 of the 6 are fully trained and I'm waiting on the last two to come back from Seminars in order to get them ready. Yes, I know I could tweak the clock to speed up the process but I kind of want to do it the legit way and actually wait out the in-game clock for the session to expire.

Though, knowing Glen has covered his team's weakness to Eiscue isn't very encouraging since one of the Pokemon on my team is an Eiscue. Beating down the Battle Tower with an ice cube headed penguin has a certain novelty to it though.

I specifically chose Pokemon with a known competitive pedigree since I thought, if I'm going to be putting the effort into EV Training Pokemon they might as well be good Pokemon in terms of base stats or one with a well proven solid strategy. So another pick for my team was...

So, pretty much the attacking brute force of the team is set up, now to do the Support Pokemon. One problem though is that I don't know if there's another way to get another Leftovers or another Rocky Helmet. I kind of want both for the held items for this team but don't want to take them off my in-game team and I don't know what happened to the Shell Bell.

5 minutes ago, GenericAperson said:

Though, knowing Glen has covered his team's weakness to Eiscue isn't very encouraging since one of the Pokemon on my team is an Eiscue. Beating down the Battle Tower with an ice cube headed penguin has a certain novelty to it though.

One problem though is that I don't know if there's another way to get another Leftovers or another Rocky Helmet. I kind of want both for the held items for this team but don't want to take them off my in-game team and I don't know what happened to the Shell Bell.

I wouldn't go that far, I'm not completely steamrolled by Eiscue anymore, but if I don't keep certain Pokémon back for it, I'm in serious trouble.

There's a chance of getting another Leftovers in Berry trees in the wild area. Go around, shake them once a day and you might find one if you're lucky. As for the Rocky Helmet, there's only one, so you're out of luck there.
There's only one Shell Bell too, but I find that item isn't consistent enough to use. Tanky Pokémon that appreciate the healing generally can't do enough damage to make it worthwhile.

Made a start following @Glen-i's guide the other day. Had a few runs through the end game with a maxed out gigantimax meowth. Now I'm trying to get a decent ditto. After finding two purple 5* raids, I've got two dittos with 4 perfect IVs. How likely is it to get one with 5 perfects?

8 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Made a start following @Glen-i's guide the other day. Had a few runs through the end game with a maxed out gigantimax meowth. Now I'm trying to get a decent ditto. After finding two purple 5* raids, I've got two dittos with 4 perfect IVs. How likely is it to get one with 5 perfects?

1 in 32 chance. The other 2 IV's are randomly picked on a 5 star raid.

And in case you're wondering, that makes 6 perfect IV's much harder to get. You'd probably save more time using a 5 star one and using Hyper Training for any Pokémon you breed that need it.

• Thanks 1

Are the odds different for 5* Gigantimax raids? I've had a lot of them with 5 perfect IVs.

I remember having a 6IV Ditto on X/Y from a friend, how much would it cost me in bank/home subscription fees to get that over to Sword?

12 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Are the odds different for 5* Gigantimax raids? I've had a lot of them with 5 perfect IVs.

I remember having a 6IV Ditto on X/Y from a friend, how much would it cost me in bank/home subscription fees to get that over to Sword?

Event raids like the G-Max ones do have different odds. It's no coincidence.

£4.49 for a yearly subscription of Bank and £2.69 for one month of Home. Careful that you don't accidentally send a Pokémon that isn't in Sword/Shield over to Home, because they can't go back to X/Y.

Edited by Glen-i

Caught five 5IV Dittos in a row in this Easter event, might keep playing and try my luck at getting a perfect one.