NEurope
Glen-i

Getting into Competitive Pokémon

Still really struggling with this competitive stuff. 

Spent most of the weekend getting a team together and I'm still 'rank one' as played less than ten matches and only won two, but it's just ridiculous how these are 'rank one' opponents. 

If this is rank one I'd love to see what Master Ball looks like as these people have an answer to absolutely everything. 

I am absolutely sick of Dragapult, Gyarados and Rotom - do people not do originality with their pairings? 

I feel like single battles are a little easier than double as there seems to be too much in the way of pokemon abilties 'u-turns' and tactical pairings for it to be fun. 

Might just sack it off.

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

Still really struggling with this competitive stuff. 

Spent most of the weekend getting a team together and I'm still 'rank one' as played less than ten matches and only won two, but it's just ridiculous how these are 'rank one' opponents. 

If this is rank one I'd love to see what Master Ball looks like as these people have an answer to absolutely everything. 

I am absolutely sick of Dragapult, Gyarados and Rotom - do people not do originality with their pairings? 

I feel like single battles are a little easier than double as there seems to be too much in the way of pokemon abilties 'u-turns' and tactical pairings for it to be fun. 

Might just sack it off.

As mentioned before, once the community finds a good pairing or setup for singles then those are the Pokemon you will probably be seeing them all the time. It's competitive so people go with what works rather than trying new setups.

Like anything competitive, to truly compete then it requires a lot of time, patience and dedication. If it's like other competitive games then you'll have people constantly looking at various threads and videos in search of the best strategies/Pokemon to use. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

As mentioned before, once the community finds a good pairing or setup for singles then those are the Pokemon you will probably be seeing them all the time. It's competitive so people go with what works rather than trying new setups.

Like anything competitive, to truly compete then it requires a lot of time, patience and dedication. If it's like other competitive games then you'll have people constantly looking at various threads and videos in search of the best strategies/Pokemon to use. 

Which I get, but this is rank one. 

Like Glen said earlier, it should be matching you with people who are a similar level to yourself but these people are completely wiping me out. It's not as if I'm throwing any old s*it out either, I'm actually studying movesets, combos and everything myself so it just gets a bit dis-heartening. 

I'm adding some other Pokemon now anyway, in the hope I can try and get some wins. We'll see. 

Post your team, or make it rentable and I'm sure we can give you some pointers.

Are you aiming for Pokémon with max IVs?

3 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Which I get, but this is rank one. 

Like Glen said earlier, it should be matching you with people who are a similar level to yourself but these people are completely wiping me out. It's not as if I'm throwing any old s*it out either, I'm actually studying movesets, combos and everything myself so it just gets a bit dis-heartening. 

I'm adding some other Pokemon now anyway, in the hope I can try and get some wins. We'll see. 

Just do what I done and pick a rental squad, forget tactics and pick random moves, watch the opponent get confused as to what's going on, pick up the win. :D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

Post your team, or make it rentable and I'm sure we can give you some pointers.

Are you aiming for Pokémon with max IVs?

I don't understand the IV thing. 

Urgh FML. 

6 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I don't understand the IV thing. 

Urgh FML. 

You're already at a disadvantage then, the IV stats effects the Pokemon's stats. Generally you want the max IV for each stat, but you only either need the max for one of the attack stats.

If you're using the same Pokémon as your opponent with the same nature and EV spread then you will always go second if your speed IV stat is lower.

You can unlock the IV rater by clearing the Battle Tower 3 times.

The ranking doesn't really matter as it resets after each season.

Just now, Ike said:

You're already at a disadvantage then, the IV stats effects the Pokemon's stats. Generally you want the max IV for each stat, but you only either need the max for one of the attack stats.

If you're using the same Pokémon as your opponent with the same nature and EV spread then you will always go second if your speed IV stat is lower.

You can unlock the IV rater by clearing the Battle Tower 3 times.

The ranking doesn't really matter as it resets after each season.

So how do you alter the IV stats? 

I've been using the pokejobs glitch to boost certain stats of pokemon who are lower in some areas (like defence or sp. defence etc), or to give some a speed boost, but is that the same thing or something different? 

3 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

So how do you alter the IV stats? 

I've been using the pokejobs glitch to boost certain stats of pokemon who are lower in some areas (like defence or sp. defence etc), or to give some a speed boost, but is that the same thing or something different? 

Pokéjobs gives EVs. The only way to alter an IV is via hyper training but they need to level 100 and you need bottle caps.

The easiest way to do it is via breeding, Pokémon can pass IVs down. Have a look at @Glen-is guide. 5 star max raid battles will give you Pokémon with 5 max IV stats.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Pokéjobs gives EVs. The only way to alter an IV is via hyper training but they need to level 100 and you need bottle caps.

The easiest way to do it is via breeding, Pokémon can pass IVs down. Have a look at @Glen-is guide. 5 star max raid battles will give you Pokémon with 5 max IV stats.

Ok, thank you Ike, helpful as always. :) 

One more question, the max raid battles... does the beam from the well need to be purple to obtain 5 max IV's, or can it be red providing they're 5 star pokemon in them? 

Also, say I did catch a 5 star max raid Pokemon, would it then need further IV boosting, or would it not benefit from it and be good to use immediately? 

7 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

One more question, the max raid battles... does the beam from the well need to be purple to obtain 5 max IV's, or can it be red providing they're 5 star pokemon in them? 

Also, say I did catch a 5 star max raid Pokemon, would it then need further IV boosting, or would it not benefit from it and be good to use immediately? 

You can max all 6 IVs via breeding but if you have 5 and want to take the quick route then just use a bottle cap.

Have you obtained the item that allows you to see the rating of each of your Pokemon's stats?

I think I have a spare 4 IV Ditto if you want it. It will get you started on breeding. Make sure to use the item that carries IVs over to the egg though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

It's just based off the star rating, I believe. The IV assignment is random so it's not always got the IVs on the ideal stat, but they make good parents for breeding.

When breeding if you give one of the parents a Destiny Knot, the baby gets 5 IVs from the parents at random, so you want 2 parents with as many perfect IVs as possible and then a bit of RNG luck.

It sounds complicated but honestly, SwSh has made it super easy to get "perfect" Pokémon.

People tend to Surprise Trade breeding rejects so that's also an easy way to get a good parent. I'd recommend unlocking the IV stat checker. Again @Glen-i has a good team for this you can rent if you ask him nicely. :cheeky:

• Like 1

@Hero of Time @Ike Thanks. 

So do you think it's easier to just get a load of money together in game and buy bottle caps as breeding sounds like it could take a while. As does finding the right Pokemon in raid battles. 

I struggle defeating some 5 star ones most of the time as the CPU throws a Magikarp out which is obviously less than helpful. :D

1 minute ago, Aneres11 said:

@Hero of Time @Ike Thanks. 

So do you think it's easier to just get a load of money together in game and buy bottle caps as breeding sounds like it could take a while. As does finding the right Pokemon in raid battles. 

I struggle defeating some 5 star ones most of the time as the CPU throws a Magikarp out which is obviously less than helpful. :D

Honestly, if you are happy with getting just 5 perfect IVs then breeding is the way to go. It's pretty fast, if a little boring.

Aren't bottle caps only purchased with BP and not cash? You may get lucky and get some off one of the digger brothers.

You want that Ditto? If so I'll have to install the game again.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, if you are happy with getting just 5 perfect IVs then breeding is the way to go. It's pretty fast, if a little boring.

Aren't bottle caps only purchased with BP and not cash? You may get lucky and get some off one of the digger brothers.

You want that Ditto? If so I'll have to install the game again.

I'll take it but don't go to too much trouble if you've deleted the game... 

Appreciate your help. 

I'll take it but don't go to too much trouble if you've deleted the game... 

Appreciate your help. 

Code is 4971

If the raid Pokémon is male then you can generally breed it with a female of the Pokémon you want. You'll have to look it up on Serebii to see what's compatible with what though. Dittos make it easier.

4 star raids give Pokémon with 4 perfect IVs, if those are easier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Code is 4971

Oh christ just in battle tower - nearly done 2 mins! 

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

If the raid Pokémon is male then you can generally breed it with a female of the Pokémon you want. You'll have to look it up on Serebii to see what's compatible with what though. Dittos make it easier.

4 star raids give Pokémon with 4 perfect IVs, if those are easier.

I see. 

So lets say I get a 5 star raid pokemon that is male, and it can breed with a female to give me an egg with a Pokemon I want in my team... that child pokemon will have 5 max IV's? 

Also, this Ditto H-o-T has kindly just given me (thanks @Hero of Time !) is 4 star IV - so any Pokemon I breed with it will now auto have 4 max IV's?

I see. 

So lets say I get a 5 star raid pokemon that is male, and it can breed with a female to give me an egg with a Pokemon I want in my team... that child pokemon will have 5 max IV's? 

Also, this Ditto H-o-T has kindly just given me (thanks @Hero of Time !) is 4 star IV - so any Pokemon I breed with it will now auto have 4 max IV's?

Nah. You need to give it the Destiny Knot to hold. That makes it so that it will carry over 5 of the Ditto IVs. These IVs are picked at random so the more you have that are perfect the higher the chance of a better offspring. 

Its a question of breeding, checking stats and chopping and changing Pokemon. Once you get one that has 5 IVs then you can give the Knot to that and try for a perfect 6 or just use a bottle cap for the last stat.

Anyway, enough of this Pokemon talk. I'm off to bed. :p 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I see. 

I'll use Ferrothorn as an example. https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-swsh/ferrothorn/ under egg groups shows who you can use as the male parent to breed with. Under Grass it lists Appletun. If you catch a 5 star max raid one it will have 5 perfect IVs (the IV checker shows this as "best") so you can use that as a parent if it's male.

The Destiny Knot picks a total of 5 stats total from both parents at random. For example, it could pick the HP, Attack and Defence from Appletun and Spec Def and Speed from Ferrothorn. Then Spec Attack will be random. So it can still take awhile depending on the parents stats. I usually start swapping them out if I get a better baby 'mon.

The Power items you can buy with BP guarantees that stat gets passed down so in theory you could spend sometime breeding a Pokémon to use as a parent.

If you want to pass a nature down, give the parent with the nature you want an Everstone.

You don't need 6 IVs unless you want a mixed attacker. If your using a Trick Room team then you actually want a 0 IV speed stat.

• Like 1

Here's a question then (I am so sorry for all my questions, but you guys all know so much and it is really helping me out, so thanks!)

I have just bred the Ditto H-o-T gave me with a Ferrothorn (Ditto with Destiny Knot) and got 2 eggs so I could see what natures they came out at, but one of the Ferroseed's that hatched has 3 'Best' IV's and the other has 2. But the one with 3 says 'Great stats!' and the one with 2 says 'Amazing stats!'. 

I've tried looking more closely to see why the one with one less 'best' could be classed as having better stats overall, but it's eluding me? 

9U3rP51.jpg

dZ0eqiK.jpg

Is it due to the one with one less 'best' having slightly better IV's which when accumulated makes for a better overall scoring? 

I think I just got it whilst looking again. 

Who knew Pokemon was so complex! I do see how it's addictive / fun though!

Edited by Aneres11

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

The one with one less 'best' having slightly better IV's which when accumulated makes for a better overall scoring? 

I'd say so yeah. It had 2 fantastic stats which probably pushed it over.

If you breed the first one with the Ditto you should increase your chances of getting one with the 4 perfect IVs. Then you just need to work out how to get the rest. You don't need to worry about Special Attack, I think it's better suited to use physical attacks.

Natures can be changed with mints so it's not terribly important, I just like having the matching nature and stats though.

• Like 1

Just a heads up, @Aneres11, seeing as it's Ferrothorn, you probably want its speed to be as rubbish as possible. That way, you can take advantage of Gyro Ball and get the maximum power out of it.

It's not essential, but if you happen to hatch one where the Speed is "No good" consider keeping that one and using Bottle Caps and nature mints to bring it up to competitive levels. A 0 Speed IV Ferrothorn is one of the more tricky Pokémon to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/01/2020 at 7:17 AM, Glen-i said:

Just a heads up, @Aneres11, seeing as it's Ferrothorn, you probably want its speed to be as rubbish as possible. That way, you can take advantage of Gyro Ball and get the maximum power out of it.

It's not essential, but if you happen to hatch one where the Speed is "No good" consider keeping that one and using Bottle Caps and nature mints to bring it up to competitive levels. A 0 Speed IV Ferrothorn is one of the more tricky Pokémon to get.

If you could find a way to give me your Pokémon brain I'd appreciate it :D. 

Interesting, thanks.

I had a day off from it yesterday so will get back on tonight.