NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Resident Evil 3 (3rd April 2020)

2 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Honestly, I would rather they remake the original. Again. 

They should remake Zero. That way they can do it right and get rid of the crazy dropping the items system they put in place in that game. I should really replay it to see how it holds up. I don't think i've played it since the GameCube days.

Obviously the original will still exist for us to go back to but the reasons for remaking the first 3 games were to make them more accessible and more palatable to a modern audience. RE4 is already available on every platform imaginable and is far less clunky to play than any of the PS1 games. Obviously Capcom feel they can milk even more money from it by remaking it in RE engine, given the success they've had in the past couple of years. 

My issue is that I don't see how they can maintain the continuity of the RE2 & 3 remakes without sacrificing the core of the original RE4. I can't speak for RE3 but the RE2 remake didn't radically change the atmosphere or general gameplay of the PS1 original - if they tone down the action aspects of RE4 in the remake then it won't feel faithful to the original.

I've not read too many of the replies because I'm lazy.

But...Resident Evil 4 is overrated beyond belief. I played the Wii version when that came on. Yes, it plays very nicely. Yes, the controls are great. Yes, it has done a lot for the genre. Perhaps too much. It's a very action orientated game and, aside from a section here or there, it doesn't contain the same atmospherics that you find in the earlier games. I loved the opening section for the game but gradually found myself losing interest in it as it went on. 

Give me my Code Veronica remake and nobody gets hurt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This seems to be the one most people want, myself included, but apparently Capcom have no plans to do anything with it.  All that's on the cards at the moment is the remake of 4 and RE8, which looks to be another first person game. Bah. :( 

11 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I've not read too many of the replies because I'm lazy.

But...Resident Evil 4 is overrated beyond belief. I played the Wii version when that came on. Yes, it plays very nicely. Yes, the controls are great. Yes, it has done a lot for the genre. Perhaps too much. It's a very action orientated game and, aside from a section here or there, it doesn't contain the same atmospherics that you find in the earlier games. I loved the opening section for the game but gradually found myself losing interest in it as it went on. 

I totally get that, and I do think that games like Resi 2 (and particularly the remake) offer something brilliant (and harder) than Resi 4. Resi 2 remake was all kinds of amazing.

That said, I firmly believe that RE4 is one of the best games of all time, and shaped modern third person gaming profoundly. In fact, Resi 2 remake borrows a lot from it (while also carrying over things that made the original Resi games unique).

I can't say Resi 4 is overrated because I think it deserves the highest praise is possible to give. As someone who played it on the Gamecube back in the day I remember it being a revelation when it released, and I see its influence in games today. I think a RE4 remake could be amazing, although because RE4 already feels reasonably modern I wonder if there's actually too much they need to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They should remake Zero. That way they can do it right and get rid of the crazy dropping the items system they put in place in that game. I should really replay it to see how it holds up. I don't think i've played it since the GameCube days.

I played it a few years ago. I did it on my Vita via remote play from the PS4 - was perfect on the handheld! 

I really enjoyed it too, all those years after playing the original on GC. Zero is one of my favourites in the series. 

• Like 1

RE4 is dumb, because the merchant is dumb. He's a joke character. Tofu doesn't count, because that mode in RE2 is not canonical. How does the merchant relocate his many supplies? 

RE4 is dumb, because the merchant is dumb. He's a joke character. Tofu doesn't count, because that mode in RE2 is not canonical. How does the merchant relocate his many supplies? 

Your face is a joke character.

Merchant in Resi 4 was one of the best things about the game.

• Thanks 1

Mission complete! :yay:

xDADuSp.jpg
Damn that 1 death on Nightmare! :grin:

Well, not quite actually. Looks like I'm still missing 1 file and a few Charlie dolls. :heh: Not sure how, seeing as I've done so many playthroughs, but yeah, they must be very well hidden indeed! :o

Anyway, great game. Resi 2 is admittedly the better of the two remakes, but as I mentioned in the diary thread I still seem to enjoy 3 more, I think because it's less complicated to memorise/replay, meaning I was able to truly master the game, something which I've not done for many years now. These days I usually play stuff once and then move on to the next, but playing a single game so obsessively again took me right back to my teenage years. It was a super nostalgic experience. :)

Also, this was the first time I'd properly messed about with modding since getting back into PC gaming, and some of the mods for this game are just superb:

Spoiler

onwi9pU.png

BwDYn18.png

:laughing:

Definitely tempted to check out what can be done in other games now too. Hell, I'm actually pretty tempted to try and learn the process of creating mods myself! However unlikely that may be at this point. :hehe:

On 06/04/2020 at 9:13 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

This was basically me through the whole game...

source.gif

Hahaha! :bowdown: Yeah, the infinite rocket launcher is nuts. So much fun.

On 06/04/2020 at 5:37 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

The Inferno play through wasn't that bad and it was actually my quickest time yet...until I got to the final boss. The battle is VERY cheap, with it being able to instant kill you with a combo he does. It took me a good half hour of constantly dying and retrying until luck finally went my way and I got the kill. I wouldn't be surprised if this got a balance patch in a future update.

I don't think it did. :shakehead The bastard had me ripping my hair out! :heh:

• Like 2

Haha. I love the Ivy and Kiryu mods. Amazing. :D The Rambo one is awesome as well.

9 hours ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, great game. Resi 2 is admittedly the better of the two remakes, but as I mentioned in the diary thread I still seem to enjoy 3 more, I think because it's less complicated to memorise/replay, meaning I was able to truly master the game, something which I've not done for many years now. These days I usually play stuff once and then move on to the next, but playing a single game so obsessively again took me right back to my teenage years. It was a super nostalgic experience. :)

Recently I had a conversation with one of my brothers. He was saying how he was replaying Resident Evil 3 and he found it weird how he loves 2 more but gravitated towards this one instead. I told him the reason was because it's a more linear, straight forward game, much as you've just said. It has a pick up and play value that Resident Evil 2 doesn't have. The original release of the game was also like this, which I suppose is why they make you play it a stupid amount of times to unlock all of the epilogues for the characters. 

9 hours ago, RedShell said:

I don't think it did. :shakehead The bastard had me ripping my hair out! :heh:

I'm very surprised they didn't change it. The fight is ridiculously cheap and a lot of luck is involved with it. Still, there is a certain sense of accomplishment when you do finally overcome the odds.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. I love the Ivy and Kiryu mods. Amazing. :D The Rambo one is awesome as well.

The Ivy one is particularly unique as it also modifies the knife, changing it to a full size version of Ivy’s sword! :cool:

Kiryu mod totally made it feel like I was playing a PC version of Yakuza Dead Souls! :D Especially during the hospital section.

But yeah, I love that it’s still possible to do this kind of stuff. Seeing as developers don’t tend to include silly unlockable/post-game costumes like they used to, and the boring ones they do make now are generally paid DLC. :hmm:

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm very surprised they didn't change it. The fight is ridiculously cheap and a lot of luck is involved with it. Still, there is a certain sense of accomplishment when you do finally overcome the odds.

Well to be honest I don’t know for sure, but if they did make any changes then it certainly wasn’t removing that combo which is basically guaranteed to kill you, as I got stuck in it multiple times. :hehe:

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this