NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Va-11 Hall-A

Another case of "I'd swear this already had a thread, but I can't find it" (if it does please let me know). Well with a name like that.. I'll be sure to add a simple "vallhalla" tag so it's more easily searchable.

It's also another case of a digital title that's been out a while, but I'm creating a thread for because you can now order a physical copy.

Va-11 Hall-A is a western visual novel, with barely any gameplay, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that it deals with characters that would make social justice warriors blush. LGBT (or whatever the acronym is) characters.. and beyond (seriously, it gets weird). I'd normally have a problem with this, but the characters are great, and I love the setting. And it's so well written that you won't even find talking dogs strange in this futuristic, dystopian world. Like I said, I love the dystopian setting, but funny thing is you don't deal with it directly. You're just a bartender, and you hear about disconcerting stuff from your customers or the news. In that sense there isn't even a real "story" almost.. It's all about the characters. Like I said, there's barely any gameplay, even as a visual novel it's a bit strange as you also don't have any dialogue options. You make drinks for your customers by mixing some ingredients. You can mess this up without any big consequences. These drinks however are also the only thing that will influence dialogue variations. Based on how well you make these things, you get some money, and saving up money is ultimately your actual gameplay goal. Another thing I love is the soundtrack, which you can customise in-game. I love the track in the trailer, and sometimes I'd play the song below on a loop.

Anyway, like I said, you can order physical copies right now from Limited Run Games. You can order until 13 December.

I ordered the collector's edition myself, those are already sold out (unless you want it for PS4). The game already has a physical release in Japan, but I prefer this cover (I actually prefered the cover for the old Vita CE physical release, but this one is great too). Plus the cover for the actual CE outer box is awesome. The special edition also comes with a soundtrack and artbook, both big incentives for me. plus a cute little Dorothy magnet haha.

Last thing I will mention is that this game is set in the same universe as the indie game 2064: Read Only memories. That game is also currently for sale through Limited Run. It's on my Steam wishlist, but I never got it. As I'm not currently a fan, I didn't order it (the special editions of both games match up in a very cool way, though that one is sold out as well). Obviously I have some interest, but apparently I'm not in a hurry to get it. I don't know yet if I'll regret it later.. Maybe I'll order the regular version around the deadline. It's a bit of a strange situations though.. The games are made by entirely different studios. As far as I can gather, they were initally not planned to be set in the same universe, and the collaboration (there are some crossover elements) was more of a spontaneous thing. Since I haven't played the game I can't really comment on it further, except to say it's a different genre, going more for a point & click style, though apparently it's also more focussed on story than actual gameplay.

Edit:

No actually, the last thing I'll mention is that they announced a sequel a while ago.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered both Va-11 Hall-A and 2064: Read Only memories from Limited Run Games.

Just the standard editions and I shouldn't have really ordered those as it is, but I did because these games definitely seem unique and something I'd like to own in my Switch collection.

I didn't really know a huge amount about them, I didn't even know that they were set within the same universe until I ordered them, but I look forward to playing them.

They aren't even really the kind of games I would typically go for but the Switch library is nothing if not diverse and thanks to these releases, having these in a physical collection definitely makes them seem more memorable, just like if something such as Cadence of Hyrule would get a physical release alongside Crypt of the Necrodancer in one boxed game, I would be all over that but the fact that it's £15 in the sale and then the game which it originally spawned from is £17 just makes me want to wait a bit longer to see which games truly will get boxed versions.

Anyway, these seem like two interesting titles regardless of whether or not you buy them physically or digitally but if you like the idea of these games having a shelf presence, then I would definitely advise getting a copy of these games, especially if the price difference isn't that great, but on the other side, they'll surely both be in a sale digitally for pretty cheap if they haven't been already several times over.

Well I was a fan of Va-11 Hall-A. Money is a bit tight too for me as well at the moment, but I had to get at least this one. It's my first Collector's Edition from Limited run Games, I wasn't interested in previous ones. Can't wait to finally have a physical copy of it for my colleciton, and to replay it after, apparently, 3 years (by the time I get it). I even ordered the t-shirt along with it, the Glitch City one, as that was also on my wishlist, being a fan of the game, and of Jill. ♥ I'll buy the Jill plushie and pub glasses later, I want those as well haha. As for 2064 ROM.. Like I said, I'm interested, but it's not a priority. May regret it later, but then i'll try to get it later.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this