Best Audio Design
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare – WINNER
Control
Death Stranding
Gears 5
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Best Performance
Ashly Burch as Parvati Holcomb (The Outer Worlds)
Courtney Hope as Jesse Faden (Control)
Laura Bailey as Kait Diaz (Gears 5)
Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff (Death Stranding) – WINNER
Matthew Porretta as Dr Casper Darling (Control)
Norman Reedus as Sam Porter Bridges (Death Stranding)

Games for Impact
Concrete Genie
Gris – WINNER
Kind Words
Life Is Strange 2
Sea Of Solitude

Best Ongoing Game
Apex Legends
Destiny 2
Final Fantasy 14
Fortnite – WINNER
Rainbow Six Siege

Best Independent Game
Baba Is You
Disco Elysium – WINNER
Katana Zero
Outer Wilds
Untitled Goose Game

Best Mobile Game
Call Of Duty: Mobile – WINNER
Grindstone
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Sky: Children Of Light
What The Golf?

Best Community Support
Apex Legends
Destiny 2 – WINNER
Final Fantasy 14
Fortnite
Rainbow Six Siege

Best VR/AR Game
Asgard’s Wrath
Blood & Truth
Beat Saber – WINNER
No Man’s Sky
Trover Saves The Universe

Best Action Game
Apex Legends
Astral Chain
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
Devil May Cry 5 – WINNER
Gears 5
Metro Exodus

Best Action/Adventure Game
Borderlands 3
Control
Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2
The Legend Of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice – WINNER

Best RPG
Disco Elysium – WINNER
Final Fantasy 14
Kingdom Hearts 3
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
The Outer Worlds

Best Fighting Game
Dead Or Alive 6
Jump Force
Mortal Kombat 11
Samurai Shodown
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – WINNER

Best Family Game
Luigi’s Mansion 3 – WINNER
Ring Fit Adventure
Super Mario Maker 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Yoshi’s Crafted World

Best Strategy Game
Age Of Wonders: Planetfall
Anno 1800
Fire Emblem: Three Houses – WINNER
Total War: Three Kingdoms
Tropico 6
Wargroove

Best Sports/Racing Game
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled – WINNER
DiRT Rally 2.0
eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020
F1 2019
FIFA 20

Best Multiplayer Game
Apex Legends – WINNER
Borderlands 3
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare
Tetris 99
The Division 2

Fresh Indie Game presented by Subway
ZA/UM for Disco Elysium – WINNER
Nomada Studio for Gris
DeadToast Entertainment for My Friend Pedro
Mobius Digital for Outer Wilds
Mega Crit for Slay The Spire
House House for Untitled Goose Game

Content Creator of the Year
Courage – Jack Dunlop
Dr. Lupo – Benjamin Lupo
Ewok – Soleil Wheeler
Grefg – David Martínez
Shroud – Michael Grzesiek – WINNER

Best Esports Game
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Dota 2
Fortnite
League Of Legends – WINNER
Overwatch

Best Esports Player
Kyle ‘Bugha’ Giersdorf – WINNER
Lee ‘Faker’ Sang-hyeok
Luka ‘Perkz’ Perkovic
Oleksandr ‘S1mple’ Kostyliev
Jay ‘Sinatraa’ Won

Best Esports Team
Astralis
G2 Esports – WINNER
OG
San Francisco Shock
Team Liquid

Best Esports Event
2019 Overwatch League Grand Finals
EVO 2019
Fortnite World Cup
IEM Katowice 2019
League Of Legends World Championship 2019 – WINNER
The International 2019

Best Esports Coach
Eric ‘adreN’ Hoag (Team Liquid)
Nu-ri ‘Cain’ Jang (Team Liquid)
Fabian ‘GrabbZ’ Lohmann (G2 Esports)
Kim ‘Kkoma’ Jeong-gyun (SK Telecom T1)
Titouan ‘Sockshka’ Merloz (OG)
Danny ‘Zonic’ Sørensen (Astralis) – WINNER

Best Esports Host
Eefje ‘Sjokz’ Depoortere – WINNER
Alex ‘Machine’ Richardson
Paul ‘Redeye’ Chaloner
Alex ‘Goldenboy’ Mendez
Duan ‘Candice’ Yu-Shuang

Player’s Voice Award
Fire Emblem: Three Houses – WINNER

All in all not a bad year for Nintendo. Family game was a guaranteed win, but nice to see some love for Smash and Fire Emblem. I guess I should also add Disco Elysium to my Steam wishlist.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That last trailer before the GOTY award was such a wet fart to end on. It was great and hilarious.

Yeah, ending on Fast and Furious was ridiculous. 

I've been thinking about the whole thing this morning and as a show its just not needed. All 3 of the console makers have their own platforms to make announcements and the 3rd party ones that happen are very low key and forced. The awards themselves just seem to take a backseat to all of the advertisements that get plastered throughout the thing.

Also, Geoff really needs to sort out how things are placed and paced. There were a couple of times where charities were being advertised but then completely hurried on by the next announcement, with one time a trailer for MK11 being played straight after. It was completely tone deaf. You had people pouring their heart out on camera and a quick change to then seeing someone getting the hell beat out of them in MK. It was really weird.

Caught up on the news and literally nothing exciting came out of this. One or two games are intriguing, but that's it.

And since I don't give a wet fart about what game wins which award I'm glad I didn't watch the show :D 

Didn't even notice that @Glen-i used the same expression. Not surprising, because I don't really pay attention to blue frogs.

The Wolf Among Us 2 and Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 were my take away announcements. Never thought we'd get the former after the whole TellTale debacle and even if it is years away, I'm just happy it's coming. And I'm surprised but also no surprised with the latter. Hellblade could have easily been it's own thing but it's a time period that's rich for exploring so more than happy knowing I'll be back in that world.

Very happy that Disco Elysium has taken away so many awards. Didn't think it would as it didn't seem like many outlets had played it for review so I'm guessing there's either some really convincing arguments or a lot more people have jumped on the game. Regardless, can't wait for it to hit consoles next year. Was sad that Outer Wilds took away no awards and disappointed that A Plague Tale and Matthew Porretta didn't take their respective ones but by and large, I'd agree with the winners. I'd maybe have given sound design/music to Sayonara Wild Hearts but that's my preference there (and that's with me loving the use of music in Death Stranding).

All and all, an ok show. The pacing was definitely off and the amount of adverts was really egregious this year. Shoving other awards in a bulk 2 minute side note between announcements and other things didn't feel right also. Why bother giving Mads Mikkelsen best performance if not on the big stage ::shrug: a step backwards from last year for sure but hopefully just a blip.

My big takeaway from The Game Awards this year is that it's most promiment backer was Wizards of the Coast, what with the MTG MMO, new Dungeons and Dragons thing and the Theros Arena Event being included in the show.

I don’t think anyone predicted Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice to win GOTY. I never even saw anyone say they were voting for it.

I wasn’t able to stay up for it this year, but it doesn’t look like I missed much. Bravely II or whatever it’s called is quite exciting, but I hope it’s not released close to Trials of Mana. These Square Enix games are massive drains on my gaming time.

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Didn't even notice that @Glen-i used the same expression. Not surprising, because I don't really pay attention to blue frogs.

You'd make a terrible biologist.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

content-4-36085-thegameawards2019banner.jpg

The Game Awards 2019 Roundup

N-Europe's general roundup of the The Game Awards 2019 with a Nintendo focus is up on the main page now. :D

Thanks to @Vileplume2000 for formatting the list of winners, I put that up as part of it, a bit of commentary about the Nintendo bits plus the relevant trailers. :peace:

Oh, and I might have had to get in on that 'Is it an Xbox or two GameCube consoles stacked?' joke as well, just because. :p

(incidentally, I do have two GameCube consoles stacked up on my desk right now, but they've been there long before the next Xbox was announced) ;) 

I'm glad that Smash got an award because it surely deserves it, Reggie's speech was nice as well I thought. :)

Also... even though I haven't played Death Stranding it was still really good to see Hideo Kojima take home at least one award, you could tell it means a lot to him. :smile:

Was it worth saying up to watch the whole thing? Heck no but then I never learn, it was just nice to have seen it and be able to write a short piece about it for the site. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was planning on sitting down to watch the whole thing archived in Easy Allies, but from what @Glen-i, @drahkon and others have been saying, seems like I only really need to check out the highlights? 

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

Well, I was planning on sitting down to watch the whole thing archived in Easy Allies, but from what @Glen-i, @drahkon and others have been saying, seems like I only really need to check out the highlights? 

Yeah, even with the allies it was an excruciating watch. The Chvrches and Grimes performances (and the GOTY nominee medley) are worth watching in full but otherwise you can just stick to the edited highlights

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Thanks to @Vileplume2000 for formatting the list of winners, I put that up as part of it, a bit of commentary about the Nintendo bits plus the relevant trailers. :peace:

No problem, it's not like I copied that list and format from metro.co.uk or anything... 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You'd make a terrible biologist.

Thank Christ I've been studying biotechnology for the past way too many years :p 

I applaud Geoff's work but the whole thing is just too long. I was fast forwarding through most of it. For Microsoft to choose this show to reveal their new console is pretty incredible though. As for the other reveals, nothing mind-blowing but then it doesn't need to be. We get reveals from Directs, Playstation Directs and Inside Xbox + E3 and other trade shows. This is just another thing to get excited for and to hear about some new games. Fine by me. I feel like they could fine tune the actual award bit though, maybe speed it up a bit so they can actually give more categories time to shine.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this