NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I watched a technical video on Warface and it does look pretty rough. I seen @RedShell playing it the other night ( really weird seeing him play a gritty FPS) and he hasn't been on it since. I assume he didn't enjoy it?

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy it, although yeah... it is indeed a bit rough around the edges. The worst thing is how long it takes to load/get into a game. :zzz: I'll probably keep it installed for a while yet though, at least until I've tried out all of the modes, only done co-op so far.

• Thanks 1

I second the recommendation for Skies of Arcadia. It makes sense you haven't played it, considering two of the tunes were "Battle 1" and "Battle 2" :heh: Should've had some Horteka or Little Jack Cruise!

I too am looking forward to AGES Sonic 2, and the fact that I can play as Knuckles in that game once again. Also, while I don't like the inclusion of mechanics in games that were clearly not designed for them, I might do a Drop Dash run in Sonic 1 next time I feel like replaying it.

Your discussion on Mario Maker got me thinking, would the stylus perhaps be better suited for the Switch Lite? Just a supposition, as I own neither.

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

• Play Skies of Arcadia! Seriously, the game is one of the best JRPGs ever created. The soundtrack, cast of characters, battle system, story and ship battles are all fantastic, as is the limited voice work. "Moons, give me strength!" "Cutlass fury!" "Fire consume my enemies!" Classic stuff. 

"You mess with me, you mess with Claudia!"

• Like 2

Your prediction for a Mario sports title has got me thinking I really want a new Mario Strikers game...

This whole thing of Japan getting extra games and free games is really starting to annoy me. Every region is paying the same price for this service but once again Nintendo seem to be favouring Japan and leaving the rest of us out in the cold.
The Metro collection is something i'm not really fussed about but i'm happy that the ports seem well made and that the price of them seems to be spot on. £30 for both of them and with a physical release is the kind of thing you want to see from publishers.

It’s such a nice inclusion, and while it’s a bit sporadic on the release times of new games to that service, Europe and US could only benefit from this, which makes it more baffling that it isn’t happening. I bet there are smaller indie developers who have sizeable games that would clamber at the opportunity to be part of this scheme just for the amount of screen time and possible sales afterwards.
Big error, misspoke. When I listened back I was amazed I said 29 quid, it’s actually 39 quid. I really thought I said 39, . Still, I know both games are really cheap on Steam, etc., but I do want to support the developers, and these look to be my type of game, what with Doom Eternal being delayed on Switch, and AC Direct being a little disappointing, this has entered the shopping basket of my favourite online retailer.
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ealdst said:

Your prediction for a Mario sports title has got me thinking I really want a new Mario Strikers game...

I think most of us do. If one is to be released then it will be either made by someone other than Next Level Games ( they just finished Luigi's Mansion ) or let NLG make it again but we will then have to wait quite a while for it.

As Lee mentioned, I'd love Mario Golf to show up. However, my fear is it won't be like the 3DS (packed with content) and that it will be barebones, with the content drip fed to us, much like Mario Tennis on the Switch was. :( 

4 hours ago, londragon said:

It’s such a nice inclusion, and while it’s a bit sporadic on the release times of new games to that service, Europe and US could only benefit from this, which makes it more baffling that it isn’t happening. I bet there are smaller indie developers who have sizeable games that would clamber at the opportunity to be part of this scheme just for the amount of screen time and possible sales afterwards.

Indeed. A thing Game Pass on the Xbox does is offer games that are on the service at a discount price, should you choose to buy them flat out. I think a similar approach would work well here. Allow players to play the game for 24-48 hours for free and then give them the option to buy it at a discounted rate.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Episode thoughts...

• Play Skies of Arcadia! Seriously, the game is one of the best JRPGs ever created. The soundtrack, cast of characters, battle system, story and ship battles are all fantastic, as is the limited voice work. "Moons, give me strength!" "Cutlass fury!" "Fire consume my enemies!" Classic stuff. 

I hope this is one of the games that comes via Sega Ages. I was interested back in the day but never got round to picking it up. Same goes for PSO on the GameCube. I know both a fan favourites on this forum, so I'd like to see what the fuss is about. 

• City Connection lets you run over cats? I'm in! 

They kill you though. Annoying little shits, Conker was right. 

• Nick is now saying SNES the correct way. You see, complaining about things does make change happen.

Haha, I'm making an effort now. If you listen to the beginning of the podcast, I paused before saying NES because I was about to say EN-EE-ESS :laughing:

• This whole thing of Japan getting extra games and free games is really starting to annoy me. Every region is paying the same price for this service but once again Nintendo seem to be favouring Japan and leaving the rest of us out in the cold.

Yep, Japan first, it's the Nintendo way... At least we can still access it though, even if I haven't bothered personally. Should definitely be rolled out worldwide or JP should pay a premium. Annoying, I agree. 

• Yeah, Crash is definitely a difficult platformer. They get easier as the games go on but the original can be really punishing. If you are struggling now just wait until you have to do the bridge levels....
  • Out of Crash and Spyro the latter is the better of the two, IMO. I just find the Spyro games far more fun and charming. They have more in common with the N64 style platformers than what Crash does and maybe that's why I gravitate to the Spyro games more.

My brother had Crash on his PS1 and he managed to finish it at 10 years old, so it can't be that hard :heh: I like it a lot, it is frustrating, but it's a nice game, a nice spin on the platformer genre (no pun intended). I like the variety of levels on offer - the side-scrollers, the chase level moving up or down the screen, good variety. The music is great too, but the graphics are really a disappointment for a "HD remaster". As I mentioned, I loved Spyro one back in the day, I finished it 100% on my GF's PS1, and yes, it's very N64-esque in it's execution. It feels quite dated now, even with the lick of paint, but the charm is most certainly there. I had one of the GC games (maybe Enter the Dragonfly...?), but it couldn't hold a candle to the original. 

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • I also found Mario Maker 2 to be a big disappointment. Granted, I only really bought it for the campaign but what was there wasn't really worth playing. I was hoping for some challenging levels like we seen at the Nintendo World Championships but instead all we got was a glorified tutorial. To be fair I have real beef with the series. In my eyes these games will stop the production of any new 2D Mario games. I'd much rather have Nintendo's own stages to play than some random persons on the internet.

I've put a bit more time in over the week and the single-player levels have become a bit more interesting. Played a few more levels of the guys on the forum and have had fun. I still think it's disappointing overall, and execution is a little lacking in some places, but I feel I was a bit harsh on the podcast. The championship style levels are there, just hidden away in the menus. They're definitely a highlight, along with the Zelda update. I'm gonna have a go at making a level for the next N-E challenge. 

20 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • They do need to start adding value to their service, IMO. I'm sure we were promised discounts when the thing first launched but we've yet to see anything like that. I love how PS+ and Xbox Live give substantial discounts on new games to members. I think Nintendo could easily follow suit in this regard, especially when their own games very rarely drop in price.

Your 5% cashback is your "discount".... :indeed:

• Like 1

On 20/02/2020 at 10:08 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

DQCgIOxVQAIng4m.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=790b761189e537daa66f9010eb

12 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Your discussion on Mario Maker got me thinking, would the stylus perhaps be better suited for the Switch Lite? Just a supposition, as I own neither.

I think the main reason I'm having this problem is the plastic screen protector I have on the screen. It makes it much less responsive to the stylus that came with SMM2. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I hope this is one of the games that comes via Sega Ages. I was interested back in the day but never got round to picking it up. Same goes for PSO on the GameCube. I know both a fan favourites on this forum, so I'd like to see what the fuss is about. 

You not play Skies of Arcadia or PSO makes me sad. :( Did you at least play Baten Kaitos?

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You not play Skies of Arcadia or PSO makes me sad. :( Did you at least play Baten Kaitos?

If it makes you feel any better, I've played Skies of Arcadia. (The GameCube version mind, faster loading times being the main reason for that)

Great RPG.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I borrowed it off a friend but didn't get far. I've never been a big RPG guy. It was Skyrim that really pulled me in, and the Switch obviously has more than you can shake a stick at. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. A thing Game Pass on the Xbox does is offer games that are on the service at a discount price, should you choose to buy them flat out. I think a similar approach would work well here. Allow players to play the game for 24-48 hours for free and then give them the option to buy it at a discounted rate.

Can't remember if this was already mentioned so excuse me if I'm repeating something but another thing on Xbox is every weekend they tend to make 2 or 3 games free to play for Xbox live gold members under the title "free play days", usually selected to coincide with said games being included in deals with gold discounts, so even without game pass you still get to try quite a few games which maybe you wouldn't normally if you had to buy them. As someone who very rarely plays any online multiplayer I really don't get much value from NSO, but Xbox live gold pays for itself with all the extra discounts and things thrown in, even without including the games with gold offerings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:

I borrowed it off a friend but didn't get far. I've never been a big RPG guy. It was Skyrim that really pulled me in, and the Switch obviously has more than you can shake a stick at. 

For some reason I had you pegged as someone who was a big fan JRPGs. Maybe it's you're love of Xenoblade that made me think this.

1 hour ago, Ealdst said:

Can't remember if this was already mentioned so excuse me if I'm repeating something but another thing on Xbox is every weekend they tend to make 2 or 3 games free to play for Xbox live gold members under the title "free play days", usually selected to coincide with said games being included in deals with gold discounts, so even without game pass you still get to try quite a few games which maybe you wouldn't normally if you had to buy them. As someone who very rarely plays any online multiplayer I really don't get much value from NSO, but Xbox live gold pays for itself with all the extra discounts and things thrown in, even without including the games with gold offerings.

Yeah, I think out of all 3 of the platformer holders it's Xbox Live that offers the most bang for your buck. I do wonder how both Sony and Microsoft will evolve their services in the next generation. Games with Gold is not a patch on what it used to be and that's mainly due to most of the big games have already being on the service at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Games with Gold gets scrapped and Game Pass is the default option. It's kinda already happening with Ultimate Game Pass.

I finished listening to the podcast late last night, a nice bit of discussion on there; I enjoyed hearing about Nick's thoughts on Super Mario Maker 2 which I largely agree with, though I will try and make the effort to get into playing other peoples levels on it as well because I think that will make it well worth revisiting even if I don't end up making any levels myself, but you never know.

Bomb Chicken has been on my to play list for a while, I already know that the game is good thanks to Hero's excellent review (also I really can't believe that was over a year and a half ago) but listening to Lee talk about his time with the game just further cements in my mind that this game is clearly worth making time for, I haven't had the game for that long because like with many titles... I waited for the physical version but I might just take it off the shelf and play it soon. :)

A question for next weeks podcast...

When it comes to the thought of playing new games on the Switch in portable mode versus old classics, which is more appealing to you? For instance, with the upcoming Doom Eternal do you find that's a game which you'd tend to want to play in portable mode or on the big screen? Personally, I tend to save playing newer games for on the TV but if there were suddenly N64 games available on the Switch, I think those are something which I'd tend to play in portable mode; perhaps due to the novelty. I'm curious to hear your thoughts as it's always interesting to hear about the different ways in which everyone tends to play on their Switch.

I've no idea if this has been asked before but I just thought I'd get the question down while I was thinking about it. :peace:

Personally, I just need to play my Switch more, that would be a good start for me. :p

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I finished listening to the podcast late last night, a nice bit of discussion on there; I enjoyed hearing about Nick's thoughts on Super Mario Maker 2 which I largely agree with, though I will try and make the effort to get into playing other peoples levels on it as well because I think that will make it well worth revisiting even if I don't end up making any levels myself, but you never know.

Bomb Chicken has been on my to play list for a while, I already know that the game is good thanks to Hero's excellent review (also I really can't believe that was over a year and a half ago) but listening to Lee talk about his time with the game just further cements in my mind that this game is clearly worth making time for, I haven't had the game for that long because like with many titles... I waited for the physical version but I might just take it off the shelf and play it soon. :)

A question for next weeks podcast...

When it comes to the thought of playing new games on the Switch in portable mode versus old classics, which is more appealing to you? For instance, with the upcoming Doom Eternal do you find that's a game which you'd tend to want to play in portable mode or on the big screen? Personally, I tend to save playing newer games for on the TV but if there were suddenly N64 games available on the Switch, I think those are something which I'd tend to play in portable mode; perhaps due to the novelty. I'm curious to hear your thoughts as it's always interesting to hear about the different ways in which everyone tends to play on their Switch.

I've no idea if this has been asked before but I just thought I'd get the question down while I was thinking about it. :peace:

Personally, I just need to play my Switch more, that would be a good start for me. :p

Great question, thanks !

• Like 1

N-E Café [016] Do You Like It Big or Small? is now available.

The 16th N-E Café Podcast has Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone: discussing the recent Nintendo News, including their thoughts of the Animal Crossing Direct; games they’ve been playing, featuring Wargroove: Double Trouble DLC, Yoshi’s Crafted World and a little more on Mario Maker 2; and this week’s Listener Question, TV or Handheld Play.  Thanks Sam.

This is episode 16 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About 3/4 in, there aren't many topics I can add something to, except... I think Doom 3 sucks :heh: Looks really good, like you say, but the design is a mess, as if the game can't decide whether it wants to be Doom (weapons, linear design) or horror (enemy placement, lighting, creepy audio logs).

Also, I guess I don't count for the pod pals, huh? :heh: Makes sense, I didn't play Kirby in February.

No idea about the transition tune!

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

About 3/4 in, there aren't many topics I can add something to, except... I think Doom 3 sucks :heh: Looks really good, like you say, but the design is a mess, as if the game can't decide whether it wants to be Doom (weapons, linear design) or horror (enemy placement, lighting, creepy audio logs).
Also, I guess I don't count for the pod pals, huh? :heh: Makes sense, I didn't play Kirby in February.
No idea about the transition tune!

Lucky I haven’t bought Doom 3 yet then. If you’ve played Kirby’s Dream Land 3 anytime in your life, you count. Did you write your thoughts down somewhere on the forum? I’ll use it.
No clues for a Transition Tunes yet.

10 hours ago, londragon said:

If you’ve played Kirby’s Dream Land 3 anytime in your life, you count. Did you write your thoughts down somewhere on the forum? I’ll use it.

Yeah, I wrote them in the thread proper (though I feel like my minor rant overshadows my positive sentiments :heh:). That's what I thought you were checking as I was listening. In hindsight, you were probably reading off your notes :heh: I don't function well before my coffee.

Looking forward to the transition tune reveal, that music was good.

• Like 1

Excellent podcast this week, I very much enjoyed listening to your thoughts on Animal Crossing in particular. :D

Thanks for answering my listener question as well, always nice to hear about which games everyone plays on the big screen or portable.

Got a laugh out of me at the end as well with that sly 'Ninten-doomed' comment there Greg, plus the Podcast Extras. :grin:

No idea on the transition tune... but I'm guessing it's an RPG?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, S.C.G said:

No idea on the transition tune... but I'm guessing it's an RPG?

10 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Looking forward to the transition tune reveal, that music was good.

I'll give out a little clue later this weekend to help you all along, if no-one gets straight off.

Thoughts on the episode...

• I'm in the camp of hating the Xenoblade X OST. I never actually finished the game but figured that the transition tune was from that game due to the horrible rap sections.
  • In regards to the Animal Crossing discussion, I HATE the fact that it looks as if the full game isn't on the cartridge and that events are being locked to download only. I've never played an AC game long enough to even get near 100% completion but if someone wants to use time travel in the game in order to play how they want then I think they should be allowed to. If this is the reason why they are dishing out events the way they are then I think it's a pretty scummy move in order to make players play the way Nintendo want them to play. This isn't a competitive game so there's no real justification for it. 
  • I agree that a May release for Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered seems likely. That date has been battered around in a few places for a while now and with the ratings board listings cropping up lately it seems that a release is imminent.
  • It took me a while to get to grips and enjoy the original Xenoblade game. I didn't end up playing through the whole thing until a year or two after it's release. It has a killer soundtrack but I do think it is overrated and had a far more enjoyable time with Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
  • The Yacht Club Direct was pretty poor, IMO. I think they are relying on the Shovel Knight character far too much at this point and it feels like we've reached over saturation levels. Cybershadow looks amazing and i'm eagerly awaiting the release of that. More stuff like that and less shoving of Shovel Knight down our throats would be welcome.
  • The games Super Rare Games have acquired for a physical release look to be a cracking bunch. The Sexy Brutale is a great game (played on PS4 a while back) but I think the Switch version have loads of issues when it was first released. Hopefully those have been ironed out. Android Assault Cactus+ is more than competent. By all accounts the game is excellent, got fantastic reviews all around and i've never seen a bad word said against it. I've been after it for ages now but it rarely goes on sale.
  • I disagree with Greg about Streets of Rage 4. I think it looks fantastic and looks like it's bringing the series to modern day consoles while staying true to its roots. Yeah, SOR3 was a bit pants but I also think the original game has aged very poorly. The second game has always been the best in my eyes but even then the series is a poor man's Final Fight. :p Greg mentioned that if it's not the same as the originals then it will probably be terrible. I think this is a rough view to have on a game. Even if it is different ( doesn't look to be ) it shouldn't really matter much just as long as it's a good game.
  • The Mega Man Zero Collection is priced higher no doubt due to the fact that there are 6 games in this collection, rather than the 4 that have been the both X collections. 
  • It may be worth waiting a bit for Two Point Hospital. Apparently the Switch version doesn't run that great, especially when things get a little more hectic. 
  • Nick, how is your memory card nearly full? You must have an insane amount of games just sitting on your home screen. Do you not delete them as you finish them?
  • Personally, I loved Doom 3. I played it back when it was released on the original Xbox. It didn't reach the heights of something like Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher's Bay, but it was certainly a key title for the platform and well worth a play...at least it was back then. I've no idea how it holds up today.
  • Good-Feel are fantastic developers and one of my favourites of Nintendo platforms. Playing through Wario Land: The Shake Dimension last year on my Wii was a reminder of just how good these guys are. I still need to pick up Monkey Barrels at some point and see how that plays. 
  • Lee, I actually picked up Wargroove last week. Game were selling it for £17 brand new and sealed. Figured with the free DLC dropping that it was now worth picking up. No idea when i'll get around to playing it though. :D 
  • The Mario Odyssey discussion was a good one. Having played the game twice (once with 999 moons and the other with a lower count) I'm in the camp of saying that Jonathan was right. The balance of the game is really off and I agreed with Greg when he said if you just play the game from start to finish that it's far too easy and I found it quite boring. I'd much rather play through Mario 64 or the Galaxy games. Comparing them with Odyssey and you realise just how much fluff is in Odyssey. It's still a good game but I don't think it's worthy of the praise I gave it when I first played through it.
  • In terms of the TV vs Portable conversation, I don't have to fight for the TV but I did tend to play games in handheld while having the TV on in the background. This changed late last year when I read a report about how it's become common place for people to have two screens going at one time and when doing this people tend not to fully take in the experience of the show they are watching, thing they are reading or the game they are playing. I decided to try and stop doing this and that being the case, I pretty much play 100% in TV mode these days. 
Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thoughts on the episode...

• 1. I'm in the camp of hating the Xenoblade X OST. I never actually finished the game but figured that the transition tune was from that game due to the horrible rap sections.
  •  
  • 2. The Yacht Club Direct was pretty poor, IMO. I think they are relying on the Shovel Knight character far too much at this point and it feels like we've reached over saturation levels. Cybershadow looks amazing and i'm eagerly awaiting the release of that. More stuff like that and less shoving of Shovel Knight down our throats would be welcome.
  •  
  • 3. The Mega Man Zero Collection is priced higher no doubt due to the fact that there are 6 games in this collection, rather than the 4 that have been the both X collections. 
  •  
  • 4. I still need to pick up Monkey Barrels at some point and see how that plays. 
  •  
  • 5. Lee, I actually picked up Wargroove last week. Game were selling it for £17 brand new and sealed. Figured with the free DLC dropping that it was now worth picking up. No idea when i'll get around to playing it though. :D 
  •  
  • 6. In terms of the TV vs Portable conversation, I don't have to fight for the TV but I did tend to play games in handheld while having the TV on in the background. This changed late last year when I read a report about how it's become common place for people to have two screens going at one time and when doing this people tend not to fully take in the experience of the show they are watching, thing they are reading or the game they are playing. I decided to try and stop doing this and that being the case, I pretty much play 100% in TV mode these days. 

1. Oh, yeah.

2. We'll be talking about their mini-Direct on next week's show.

3. There were 6 games on the original Legacy collection though, MegaMan 1 through 6, and that was priced at 11.99.  Older games I know.

4. Me, too. Looks a lot of fun.

5. Bargain price for the content on offer there.  I've basically played through the two main campaigns and put over 70 hours into it now.

6. I can't multitask.  TV demands my full attention, if someone starts talking to me during a movie or show, I have to pause it.  There's no way I could play a game on Handheld and have the TV running in the background.  I don't care what some people say humans are bad at multitasking, all scientific testing shows how bad we are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, londragon said:

3. There were 6 games on the original Legacy collection though, MegaMan 1 through 6, and that was priced at 11.99.  Older games I know.

That is true. But I imagine the porting process was quick and easy seeing as they've been on every platform under the sun. :p I think the Zero series only got a DS port and as far as I know the ZX games have never been on any other console. By all accounts this collection has had a lot of care and attention put in it, with zero lag issues across all the formats. If you are into these kinds of games then this collection looks to be a winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That is true. But I imagine the porting process was quick and easy seeing as they've been on every platform under the sun. :p I think the Zero series only got a DS port and as far as I know the ZX games have never been on any other console. By all accounts this collection has had a lot of care and attention put in it, with zero lag issues across all the formats. If you are into these kinds of games then this collection looks to be a winner.

Worth noting as well that all four Mega Man Zero games are also available on the Wii U VC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • In regards to the Animal Crossing discussion, I HATE the fact that it looks as if the full game isn't on the cartridge and that events are being locked to download only. I've never played an AC game long enough to even get near 100% completion but if someone wants to use time travel in the game in order to play how they want then I think they should be allowed to. If this is the reason why they are dishing out events the way they are then I think it's a pretty scummy move in order to make players play the way Nintendo want them to play. This isn't a competitive game so there's no real justification for it. 

I'm willing to bet (a little bit) that everything is already on the cartridge, it's just unaccessible without an update. Will be interesting to see what this situation is once the game drops. Hopefully someone hacks the game files so we can know the truth :grin:. It is scummy, but I honestly don't mind. I've personally never really used the "time travel" trick and don't plan on doing it for this game, happy to just go with the flow. I can see why people are upset, and my point stands about leaving people without an internet connection without a paddle. I do think it's <0.001% of the audience though. 

• Nick, how is your memory card nearly full? You must have an insane amount of games just sitting on your home screen. Do you not delete them as you finish them?

I don't like deleting stuff! Everything I own is on there for easy access. You never know when you're going to get the urge to stick Flip Wars on at a moment's notice... Yeah I probably could delete a few games. I checked last night and I have 68GB free, so it's not as bad as I thought. I do plan on getting a couple of the Resi games and Okami fairly soon though, so it'll be under 50 before long.

• The Mario Odyssey discussion was a good one. Having played the game twice (once with 999 moons and the other with a lower count) I'm in the camp of saying that Jonathan was right. The balance of the game is really off and I agreed with Greg when he said if you just play the game from start to finish that it's far too easy and I found it quite boring. I'd much rather play through Mario 64 or the Galaxy games. Comparing them with Odyssey and you realise just how much fluff is in Odyssey. It's still a good game but I don't think it's worthy of the praise I gave it when I first played through it.

I've done the opposite. I wasn't hot on the game until I beat Bowser, unlocked the Mushroom Kingdom and the extra moon challenges. At that point I went from an 8 to a 9. But over the past couple of years (wow, it already has been that long...), I've repeatedly found myself coming back to it, for no other reason than it's just a joy to play. I'm up to 700+ moons on my second save file now and will power through to 999. Yes, there is a lot of padding and messing about, and yes the main run is far too easy, I just think visually, aurally and gameplay wise it is a sublime game. Galaxy was great, but I think this has a lot to do with me loving Sunshine and not really getting a "true" (open) 3D Mario game until Odyssey. I think I'd rank this one just behind 3D World and just ahead of Galaxy 1 at a push. It's all arbitrary anyway, none of it matters. I love all Mario games that don't have "new" in the title. I'd still rather see a 3D World sequel next, however, than Greg's Odyssey 2. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this