NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

So, preparations are underway for the 5th N-E Cafe Podcast, including a special guest if all goes well.  Shaking the formula up a slight bit, by including one of Greg's Games.  Always excited for those.

The Transition Tune was a lot trickier this week, at least for me, any takers?

And as our PodPals Demon's Crest Retrospective is underway, any feedback?  Anyone started it?  My first initial impressions were slightly positive due to a healthy nostalgia of the Gameboy game Gargoyle's Quest.  Graphics looked vibrant, and animations solid.  A few levels in, and my enthusiam waned, due to poor level structure and a lot of the key items being hidden excessively.  Shame about the framerate, too.  Will continue onwards, and upwards apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, londragon said:

And as our PodPals Demon's Crest Retrospective is underway, any feedback?  Anyone started it?  My first initial impressions were slightly positive due to a healthy nostalgia of the Gameboy game Gargoyle's Quest.  Graphics looked vibrant, and animations solid.  A few levels in, and my enthusiam waned, due to poor level structure and a lot of the key items being hidden excessively.  Shame about the framerate, too.  Will continue onwards, and upwards apparently.

I started it yesterday. Never played a Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest game, but I did play Super Ghouls & Ghosts. Graphically it really reminds me of SG&G so it felt familiar. I've played three levels and so far have not encountered any dealbreakers, except for the dipping frame rate. What I miss here (and I guess that it's something from the time of instruction booklets) is that the game does not tell you that you have to equip items or alternate forms you pick up.

• Like 1

What I miss here (and I guess that it's something from the time of instruction booklets) is that the game does not tell you that you have to equip items or alternate forms you pick up.

Yeah, the plus button comes in handy, and is overused. Even when flying to levels.

Recording for the fifth podcast is completed, and introduces our very own @S.C.G into the fold for a musical quiz which was really enjoyable to play.  See how we all fared with @nekunando as the quiz master.

And, if you want to prove Greg wrong with his disdain for Demon's Crest, and show us your love for it, then drop us a line here and we'll regurgitate it in our late December podcast.

• Thanks 2

'N-E Café [005] Dancing with Greg' is now up on all good Podcast Providers.  So excited to listen back to the musical quiz, that Greg prepared for us, one more time.  Was a great show.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished listening to Episode 5 and I think it went pretty well. :)

Thanks for having me on N-E Café :D@londragon  @Nicktendo @nekunando it was a pleasure talking about games with you all and I enjoyed the musical quiz...

...even if there were one or two tracks on there I really felt I should have got right but couldn't think of them on the spot despite knowing where they were from. :blush:

Well played Greg, some of those choices were very tricky indeed. :peace: I won't say anything about the tracks as I don't want to ruin the podcast for anyone but it was fun.

I'm sure Dennis will promote Episode 5 on the main page later on and we'll add in the YouTube version to the article when it's ready. :smile:

• Like 3

I just finished listening to Episode 5 and I think it went pretty well.
Thanks for having me on N-E Café [mention=8211]londragon[/mention]  [mention=2520]Nicktendo[/mention] [mention=318]nekunando[/mention] it was a pleasure talking about games with you all and I enjoyed the musical quiz...
...even if there were one or two tracks on there I really felt I should have got right but couldn't think of them on the spot despite knowing where they were from. :blush:

It was a pleasure having you on Sam, and we’ll definitely do it again in the near future. And when you’re put on the spot to name a track from a 5 second clip, it’s harder than it looks, or sounds. As was the case with me.

6 hours ago, londragon said:

It was a pleasure having you on Sam, and we’ll definitely do it again in the near future. And when you’re put on the spot to name a track from a 5 second clip, it’s harder than it looks, or sounds. As was the case with me. emoji38.png

I've only ever been the one creating the audio quizzes.. perhaps I need a taste of my own medicine :indeed:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, londragon said:

Greg has also put the fifth podcast on YouTube

I happened to notice that last thing, last night/this morning, so it has already been added to Dennis' excellent promotional article on the front page. :D

Good job on the editing on both versions, I liked the song choices Nick, obviously I'll say no more than that as I'm disallowed from guessing this week.

The graphics for the YouTube version look great as well Greg, I've always quite liked the art style used in 1080° Avalanche.

• Like 1

Great timing with the Indie World Showcase, just before recording, so it'll feature in this week's podcast.  Can't wait.

ohh, and a call out once again for any Listener Questions, and any guesses on the Transition Tunes (what game did they come from) from last week's podcast?  Good luck!

Edited by londragon

54 minutes ago, londragon said:

ohh, and a call out once again for any Listener Questions

As predominantly Nintendo gamers, what game(s) would you like to see ported to Switch that have never been on a Nintendo console. This is a pure fantasy opinion so  feel free to list any game from any era - whether it is technically feasible or not and if it's a licensing nightmare or not is not important :D.

• Like 3

A 2 man show this week, Greg fell ill, and Lee and Nick take up the slack with some in depth talk about the recent Indie World Showcase.  Lee talks about Simulacra, and Nick Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.  We round things off with a listener question from @Ealdst.

'N-E Café [006] Cheating the System' can be found at all good podcast providers;

Edited by londragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent episode there @londragon and @Nicktendo I just finished listening to the podcast while putting up some news articles on the main page. :D

Some really good conversation relating to the Indie World presentation and I enjoyed listening to what you've been playing, nice Podcast EXTRAS this week as well. :p

I'm just going to say now that I have no idea what the mystery music is from this week... I definitely knew what last weeks was though but obviously I couldn't give it away. ;)

• Like 2

I was wondering how you'd get on with pronouncing my username :heh:. @londragon got it spot on! Another good podcast guys, would love to take a guess at this week's music but I haven't got a clue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was wondering how you'd get on with pronouncing my username :heh:. [mention=8211]londragon[/mention] got it spot on! Another good podcast guys, would love to take a guess at this week's music but I haven't got a clue!

There’s a story behind that name. I’m on the show and I have no idea about the Transition Tunes, either. However, the last one is something I know for sure, but can’t quite place it.

No real story, it's as simple as a slight variation on my surname that a few people used to call me back in school. However I'm also used to people getting my surname wrong too whether they are writing or pronouncing it. My poor fiancée has this to look forward to soon :D.

• Like 2

Lots of fun conversation that flowed easily this week, and you both sounded very relaxed.  I liked the transition tunes too, although no idea what they’re from...!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Lots of fun conversation that flowed easily this week, and you both sounded very relaxed.  I liked the transition tunes too, although no idea what they’re from...!

I'm surprised no-one's guessed the transition tunes this week. The game has been laughably cheap on the e-shop a few times. It's one of my most played Switch games, I know @londragonhas put in a load of time. @nekunando has it as well but hates it :laughing:.

Game is out on PS4, Xbox and Steam. Indie smash-hit. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised no-one's guessed the transition tunes this week. The game has been laughably cheap on the e-shop a few times. It's one of my most played Switch games, I know [mention=8211]londragon[/mention]has put in a load of time. [mention=318]nekunando[/mention] has it as well but hates it :laughing:.
Game is out on PS4, Xbox and Steam. Indie smash-hit. 

Ahhh, just worked it out. That’s why I knew it from somewhere.

It isn't Crypt of the Necrodancer  is it?

A little later than usual, but N-E Café [006] Cheating the System is now on YouTube :smile:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one @nekunando I've added the embedded YouTube version to the original promotional article. :)

Sign in to follow this