Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

Recommended Posts

On 28/08/2020 at 3:00 AM, will' said:

Listened while I was working and was nice having this on in the background.

I’ve been playing a lot of F1 too and have stepped away from my 100% career mode to do some trophy collecting. Seems like none of it is too challenging so might even manage to get the platinum if I stick with it.

I’ve also been thinking about getting a wheel, but don’t really see the point unless you go all in. Have been looking at the Fanatec stuff but it’s quite pricey.

I also went over to a friends place the other night and was shocked to see how fast the game loads compared to my super slow PS4, so now a PC is on my buying list.

 

Yeah I'd definitely like to get a wheel too, but not something I'm looking at doing for the time being. 

My friend has a Logitech wheel which cost him 400 Euros. Amazing to use it in racing games with incredible force feedback. Will give it a go in F1 in a couple of weeks. 

This is why I mentioned M2 storage in the other thread, a race usually loads up in 5-10 seconds for me, whereas F1 2019 took a good minute plus on my old mechanical HDD.

 

Any TT guesses this week @S.C.G @Jonnas @Vileplume2000?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Londragon said:

No Transition Tunes guesses this week, anybody?

Nope, not as of yet anyway... I've just listened to the three tracks again, they're all so different, you'd have thought that would make it easier, or narrow it down but alas...

1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:

Any TT guesses this week @S.C.G @Jonnas @Vileplume2000?? 

Just to clarify, the game was either mentioned in this weeks podcast or a recent, previous podcast?

I get the sense that it is a modern game... oh wait, I think I might have just got it.

Spoiler

It isn't Super Crush KO is it?

It probably isn't that, but I've got nothing else to go on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Nope, not as of yet anyway... I've just listened to the three tracks again, they're all so different, you'd have thought that would make it easier, or narrow it down but alas...

Just to clarify, the game was either mentioned in this weeks podcast or a recent, previous podcast?

I get the sense that it is a modern game... oh wait, I think I might have just got it.

  TT Guess (Hide contents)

It isn't Super Crush KO is it?

It probably isn't that, but I've got nothing else to go on.

It was mentioned in this one. Super Crush K.O. basically has one song, so it's not that I'm afraid :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No clue here! Even with one song having lyrics you would think it would be easy to recognize it, but it doesn't ring a bell so I guess it is something I haven't played.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I really don’t have any idea.  Even though the podcast has probably been recorded I’ll take a random guess:

Spoiler

Killer 7

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WackerJr said:

No, I really don’t have any idea.  Even though the podcast has probably been recorded I’ll take a random guess:

  TT guess (I really don’t know!) (Hide contents)

Killer 7

 

It has been recorded, and it wasn't Killer 7, either.  Find out soon, :cheeky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrived way late yesterday. Just listened to the tunes. No idea, either.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Londragon said:

It has been recorded, and it wasn't Killer 7, either.  Find out soon, :cheeky:

Nice way of plugging that next podcast! 😎

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

N-E Café [042] Lights, Camera, Action! is now live at all good podcast providers.  Just check out our OP for all the links.

Recorded on the 30th of August, 2020.  

Episode 42 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone discussing the latest Nintendo Direct; games they’ve been playing, featuring, Ships, Streets of Rage 4, Mario Golf 64, Mark of the Ninja and Yooka-Laylee 2; and this week our Big Topic, overlooked Action Adventure and RPG Games on the Switch.

This is episode 42 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Streets of Rage 4 - They’re Back

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:27

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:03:35

⦁ PodPals Request: 0:38:40

⦁ Download Delights: 0:39:38

⦁ Ships: 0:48:07

⦁ Streets of Rage 4: 0:54:30

⦁ Mario Golf 64: 0:55:48

⦁ Mark of the Ninja: 1:00:49

⦁ Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair: 1:03:28

⦁ Topic of the Week: 1:07:44

⦁ Closing: 1:34:03

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like to discuss, contact us right here.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I skip a week, I skip a week, but I'll eventually check out the previous episode for the Indie talk. This week, I'm 46 minutes in:

Fun fact: Murder By Numbers was composed by the same person as Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick, so I guess the catchiness makes sense. I'll check out some tunes.

To be honest, I kinda skipped through the Switch Pro stuff. I'm tired of those rumours, and moreover it's a product I have zero interest for.

Did I hear that right, Edith Finch for 2.69€? That's a steal, I got mine for 5€, and I already felt it was cheap. Don't worry about being recent, it's one of those Story-Driven games.

And the highlight, my stab at the transition tunes:

Spoiler

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Did I hear that right, Edith Finch for 2.69€? That's a steal, I got mine for 5€, and I already felt it was cheap. Don't worry about being recent, it's one of those Story-Driven games.

 

In the UK eShop its 7.19 pounds (no pound sign on this keyboard)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see, my mistake. I rewinded a couple of minutes to listen again, and it seems Xenon Racer (was that the name?) was the one I listened at that price. Greg was mentioning these games one after the other, and some things slip my ears.

Anyhoo, @Nicktendo, I'm not sure if you do handheld gaming, but I own a NTSC version of Disgaea for the Nintendo DS. The game never clicked with me, so I can sell it to you, if you want.

Good to know you're enjoying Mark of the Ninja, excellent game. One thing I like about it is that you don't get penalized that harshly for being caught, or for killing guards (the Hitman series tends to hide unlockable weapons behind perfect runs, which can be frustrating), so you can always play the way you want. Replaying those levels by the end of the game with  a more optimised kit for your playstyle will definitely be worth your time.

Technically speaking, Rogue is the original Roguelike :heh: But yeah, Binding of Isaac and Spelunky were the ones that absolutely popularised the genre for the past decade.

Definitely enjoyed listening to the underrated/unknown games discussion. Some games I already played were mentioned, but also some neat recommendations for me to check out.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Technically speaking, Rogue is the original Roguelike :heh: 

Rogue is surely just Rogue.. whatever came directly after must be the first Roguelike, surely..?

Whatever the case, put me down for Roguedislike!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another enjoyable listen this week.  I’m a little sad that the under-appreciated genres discussion sounds like it’s stopping as, especially the board games previously, allowed me to learn more about games I may not have considered.

CrossCode is now on my radar following the praise you heaped on it.  I didn’t know anything about it before.

”The water effects are not that bad” 😂 It doesn’t bode well when that’s the most positive comment about a game! I don’t think ‘Ships’ will be putting that quote on any of the advertising for it. Or maybe they will if @Londragon ends up being the only person to review it!

Nice one on last week’s transition tunes.  You ‘beat’ the wider audience and I certainly didn’t know it (as my wildly inaccurate guess showed!!) 
 

Spoiler

Mario Golf 64 (I recognise tune #4 from the series so I think it’s one of those)

Edit: oops I see Jonas has already put in their guess for Mario Golf.

 

Edited by WackerJr
I replied before checking other TT guesses.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/09/2020 at 10:41 PM, Jonnas said:

Anyhoo, @Nicktendo, I'm not sure if you do handheld gaming, but I own a NTSC version of Disgaea for the Nintendo DS. The game never clicked with me, so I can sell it to you, if you want.

Good to know you're enjoying Mark of the Ninja, excellent game. One thing I like about it is that you don't get penalized that harshly for being caught, or for killing guards (the Hitman series tends to hide unlockable weapons behind perfect runs, which can be frustrating), so you can always play the way you want. Replaying those levels by the end of the game with a more optimised kit for your playstyle will definitely be worth your time.

The 3DS is in a cupboard somewhere and completely drained in power, I don't even know where the charger is :D Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass. I don't want to go back to a 240p screen. I may end up getting it on Switch later.

I'm coming to the end of Mark of the Ninja now and have really enjoyed the game. I'll definitely be going back for the scrolls and the challenges once I finish the main story and I'll post my thoughts in the Gaming Diary afterwards. One of the best indie games I've played for sure. 

9 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Another enjoyable listen this week.  I’m a little sad that the under-appreciated genres discussion sounds like it’s stopping as, especially the board games previously, allowed me to learn more about games I may not have considered.

CrossCode is now on my radar following the praise you heaped on it.  I didn’t know anything about it before.

”The water effects are not that bad” 😂 It doesn’t bode well when that’s the most positive comment about a game! I don’t think ‘Ships’ will be putting that quote on any of the advertising for it. Or maybe they will if @Londragon ends up being the only person to review it!

Nice one on last week’s transition tunes.  You ‘beat’ the wider audience and I certainly didn’t know it (as my wildly inaccurate guess showed!!) 
 

  TT guess (Hide contents)

Mario Golf 64 (I recognise tune #4 from the series so I think it’s one of those)

Edit: oops I see Jonas has already put in their guess for Mario Golf.

 

My CrossCode recommendation came with a warning. In true internet gamer style, I was "praising" a game I've never played. I do own it, I have read reviews and seen other people's comments, but haven't actually played it myself yet, so take it with a pinch of salt. I'll be starting it as soon as I clear some other indie games off my plate first. It looks great though. 

Transition tunes are correct - @Jonnas guessed the GameCube game when it was actually the 64 version, so you take the W on this one :laughing:. Sorry Jonnas :cheeky:

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

content-4-36332-necafe42banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 42 now available!

Now up on the main page. :D

Decent all-round game discussion in there this week, Streets of Rage 4 was mentioned though, so that had to go in the banner,

Nice to hear music from the game in the intro and outro music as well, there's usually not too much time which passes between each replay of SoR4 for me. :smile:

I meant to promote this weeks episode on the main page a lot earlier, also... I really should get on with playing The Messenger...

Thanks again for another excellent episode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed episode 42 but listened in weird bursts over more days than I usually would, so my thoughts are a bit sparse this time. Two things really stood out for me.

I almost entirely agreed with @Nicktendo on the Switch Pro stuff aside from the screen res, I just can’t see how they could keep the 720p screen and call it Pro. I think it will be 1080 on device and then the tech stuff to boost it on screen - actually sounds awesome, hope Nintendo are listening to your wise words.

My other thought was that the closing music sounded like the lighthouse family.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, will' said:

I almost entirely agreed with @Nicktendo on the Switch Pro stuff aside from the screen res, I just can’t see how they could keep the 720p screen and call it Pro. I think it will be 1080 on device and then the tech stuff to boost it on screen - actually sounds awesome, hope Nintendo are listening to your wise words.

My other thought was that the closing music sounded like the lighthouse family.

I just don't see much benefit going for a higher res on a 6-inch screen. I feel like at the price it could cost, there wouldn't be that much of a benefit for the handheld gamer. But who knows, maybe the difference in production costs is not all that different and with the longer life battery now in the new Switch, they'd still be able to get it to run for a decent amount of time.

I never made that connection before but it does sound a little like Ocean Drive. They're from the same era as Streets of Rage so it makes sense I guess :laughing:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

I just don't see much benefit going for a higher res on a 6-inch screen. I feel like at the price it could cost, there wouldn't be that much of a benefit for the handheld gamer. But who knows, maybe the difference in production costs is not all that different and with the longer life battery now in the new Switch, they'd still be able to get it to run for a decent amount of time.

I agree it’s not huge, but 720 is so bad compared to everything else we use now (and it was back when the Switch came out too). 

I guess it depends what Nintendo actually launch, for me I’m hoping for a Switch Pro rather than a New Switch. If it’s just a new Switch then yeah, it may be another fairly cheap device with another low-res screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

N-E Café [043] PodPals (The Messenger) is there.  Where?, I hear you ask, there, right there at all good podcast providers.  Just check to OP for a full list of ways to listen to us ramble on about Nintendo.

Episode 43 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone discussing the latest Nintendo News, including the Mario Direct; they’ll be skipping Recent Games this week to make room for their Big Topic, a deep dive into The Messenger with our community, as part of our PodPals episode.

This is episode 43 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: The Messenger - Autumn Hills

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:44

⦁ Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct: 0:03:30

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:36:46

⦁ Download Delights: 0:50:50

⦁ PodPals (The Messenger): 0:57:47

⦁ Closing: 2:05:04

No Transition Tunes game this week as they all come from The Messenger, but if you do want to get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68 mins in, I don't actually have anything to add, other than mentioning that "The NES couldn't even run NES games" is one of the best lines I've ever heard.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listened to the rest: nice hearing those thoughts on The Messenger, I feel like I have a clearer idea of that game's appeal.

Last PodPals, I threw Halo under the bus for no good reason. This time, @drahkon did the same with Super Metroid :laughing: I hope this is the start of a trend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really meant to play The Messenger before this weeks episode, that definitely didn't happen though.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites