NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

6 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Listening to the Kratos in Fortnite bit and yeah:

tenor.gif?itemid=19435698

So much for your hardcore PlayStation mascot! Not sure I want Samus in there...

tenor.gif?itemid=5233950&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 4

It's nice to know that, whenever I open this thread for the next few weeks, I will be greeted by both of these gifs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Once again, slow day for me:

• Lee's pronunciation of the Greek word Kratos is absolutely right (and also how they say it in Tales of Symphonia), and it is the rootword for terms such as Democracy (Demos + Kratos) or Theocracy (Theos + Kratos). However, Santa Monica didn't get the memo, and the God of War character has been called "Kraytos" ever since his inception;
  • Freedom Planet has 3 playable characters. There were two more in the pipeline for DLC as you said, but those were cancelled (the director mentioned they couldn't make them work properly). It was a bit of a small controversy, since that DLC was a Kickstarter goal. I am, indeed, a big fan of the game;

Had a feeling the Greek's didn't do the long a sound for the single vowel.  I studied archaeology, but went in for the Human Origins stuff, not the modern Greeks.

Freedom Planet is a really solid game, wondering how you think it holds up to the classic Sonic games.

Lee, do you fancy giving some thoughts/impressions on Nintendo Land in an up and coming episode? I don't watch Let's Plays (sorry :( ) but I would be interested to hear what you think about the game after all these years. There was a little bit of chatter about it during this weeks episode but I want more! :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

content-4-36394-necafe55banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 55 now available!

Now up on the main page. :D

- - - - -

A really enjoyable podcast, it was good to hear about what you've all been playing, even if it isn't that much in one particular week, it's still interesting to hear about, for instance, it was nice just to hear that Nick has purchased and started Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition as that is such a great RPG, especially when you just start playing in that first area, I started playing Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitve Edition this week, and it was good to just finally start playing an RPG which I'd wanted to try out for a while. :) (I know, I've got other games to play, and reviews to finish, but sometimes all you want to do is just play an RPG and grind for a bit)

In fact, that might as well be a listener question, because I think it's a great topic...

What is your favourite game to grind experience in (if it's an RPG) or just play for a bit, even though you've probably played the game many times before?

For me, it would be Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II on the Nintendo GameCube, but you probably knew that already ;) I'd like to know what your favourite 'Gaming Grinds' are.

Also, thanks for highlighting Freedom Planet at 50% on the eShop, that's another title I'll likely buy as I enjoyed it on the Wii U and the PC, but it would be nice to have on the Switch.

Anyway, looking forward to next weeks episode, and I'll update this weeks episode with the YouTube embed, as soon as it's available. :peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Londragon said:

Freedom Planet is a really solid game, wondering how you think it holds up to the classic Sonic games.

It's excellent, and worthy of standing alongside the classic Sonic games, in visuals, music, and even game-feel (even if it feels distinct enough). Classic Sonic is easier to learn (which is always a plus in my book), its physics engine is more robust, and movement is more fun to play with. Freedom Planet has deeper combat, larger and more complex levels, harder challenges, and better boss battles on the whole. In a way, you could say Sonic has a lower skill floor, whereas Freedom Planet has the higher ceiling.

Another thing, in Sonic, there are 3 playable characters (5, if you count Mania), but they all feel like variants of the same base. In Freedom Planet, all three characters feel incredibly distinct from one another (Lilac feels designed by Sega, Carol feels designed by Capcom, and Mila feels designed by Nintendo). The level design somehow makes this variety work, and I think that's one of the most impressive things about that game.

So yeah, I think FP holds up really well to the Sonic classics, including Mania.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Lee, do you fancy giving some thoughts/impressions on Nintendo Land in an up and coming episode? I don't watch Let's Plays (sorry :( ) but I would be interested to hear what you think about the game after all these years. There was a little bit of chatter about it during this weeks episode but I want more! :D 

Most certainly will do.  Still need to play through the last of the 3 games, which happen to be the competitive multiplayer games, but I'll give it a good chat in the upcoming weeks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

It's excellent, and worthy of standing alongside the classic Sonic games, in visuals, music, and even game-feel (even if it feels distinct enough). Classic Sonic is easier to learn (which is always a plus in my book), its physics engine is more robust, and movement is more fun to play with. Freedom Planet has deeper combat, larger and more complex levels, harder challenges, and better boss battles on the whole. In a way, you could say Sonic has a lower skill floor, whereas Freedom Planet has the higher ceiling.

Another thing, in Sonic, there are 3 playable characters (5, if you count Mania), but they all feel like variants of the same base. In Freedom Planet, all three characters feel incredibly distinct from one another (Lilac feels designed by Sega, Carol feels designed by Capcom, and Mila feels designed by Nintendo). The level design somehow makes this variety work, and I think that's one of the most impressive things about that game.

So yeah, I think FP holds up really well to the Sonic classics, including Mania.

Looks like I will be buying this then!

• Like 2

N-E Café [056] On The Grind is now available at all good podcast providers.

Recorded on the 13th of December, 2020.  

Episode 56 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone taking you through the most noteworthy Nintendo news, reviewing their recently played games, and a Listener Question, from N-Europe staff member Sam, about Grinding through games.

This is episode 56 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:29

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:02:51

⦁ The Game Awards 2020: 0:35:52

⦁ Sales Data: 0:43:07

⦁ Download Delights: 0:45:07

⦁ Astro’s Play Room: 0:48:40

⦁ Paper Mario, Florence: 0:57:40

⦁ Cyberpunk 2077: 1:05:32

⦁ Grinding or Relaxing: 1:17:35

⦁ Closing: 1:36:25

⦁ Podcast Extras: 1:38:51

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to the podcast, I realise there are threads here in N-E I should've posted on, but didn't yet. Ghosts 'n Goblins is one such thread.

Also, regarding Snakeybus, quick reminder that @Vileplume2000 reviewed it for the website! (I will post a link later today)

As for the Transition Tunes, I don't recognize it, so I'll take an educated guess:

Spoiler

Hades

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2

In regards to this weeks topic, I love grinding in video games, especially when playing a JRPG. I get a great amount of satisfaction in spending time grinding away the random battles, becoming super OP and then decimating a boss. I usually dislike a game when I can't play it in this way.

I love playing the Dragon Quest games. The older ones were quite stingy in dishing out cash and so you very rarely had enough money for the new weapons or armour that the shops were selling. What I would always do would be to reach the town and then spend an hour or two grinding outside of it so that every character could afford the best gear. It always worked like a charm. My team were equipped with great items and ended up higher levels than what the games had planned.

One of the reasons why I loved Fire Emblem Three Houses over older entries in the series is because I could power up my units by grinding the extra battles, Giving me this option made the game far more enjoyable. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the older games but more that I appreciate when such options are available to me.

Being a gaming completionist also means that you kinda need the grinding mentality. A lot of the time things like trophies, achievements and unlockables require you to do repetitive tasks or tedious actions. Again, for some reason I get a kick out of such things.

I remember one of the Dead Rising games had an achievement tied to killing an absurd amount of zombies. The best way to get it was by jumping in a car and just doing laps around the map and mowing down anything in your way. It must have easily took around 10 hours to do but I got there in the end. Clearly I need to take up an extra hobby. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36400-necafe56banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 56 now available!

- - - - -

I think its been a good week for the podcast on the news front, which made for some really decent discussion, what with Sephiroth being announced for Smash, and The Game Awards in general, especially as a new Perfect Dark game was announced, also, I know there hasn't been a lot to talk about on the Nintendo front with games, but it is interesting hearing about some Nintendo games, plus games from other platforms, obviously it depends on what you've all been playing each week, it definitely adds a good bit of contrast though. :)

Thanks for answering my Listener Question as well, I thought it was a standard question, but one which didn't seem to have been asked before, plus it's always interesting to hear about how everyone plays their games, and what their favourite ways to play are as well, especially with games that you're familiar with.

The next edition should be interesting, as I'm assuming that the main topic could well be the Nintendo Indie World Presentation which aired today, I can almost hear Greg's response to a lot of the Indie games... :p it's likely the same for me, as although a lot of titles with a great deal of variety were shown, only a couple of games genuinely interest me on a 'I can see myself playing that' level.

Anyway, looking forward to next weeks episode, and I'll update this weeks episode with the YouTube embed, as soon as it's available. :peace:

• Like 1

Well, to expand on my previous points:

• I personally find the Ghosts&Goblins art style appealing, even if it weirded me out with its first impression. I'm sure it'll look better in motion (those short clips from the VGAs didn't really give us a good look at the animation);
  • As mentioned, Dennis did review Snakeybus. He doesn't mention slowdowns at all, so I guess the game runs pretty well, despite the premise. Looks like mad, dumb fun;
  • I wasn't interested in Capcom Arcade Stadium at first, since I already own half those games from my Street Fighter collection, and the Beat'em Up Bundle (Cyberbots was really the only one that caught my attention). But then I looked at the full list, and one particular game caught my eye: Mega Twins. My useless-trivia-filled brain paid off this time around, because I know that's the American name of a Mega Drive game I adored as a kid: Chiki Chiki Boys. I had to squint to find it, but I am ecstatic to see that game getting rereleased (I even mentioned it on the Mega Drive Classic thread), so I'm definitely getting it. For the record, it's a Beat'em up / Platformer hybrid with a lot of charm (I legitimately thought that Akira Toriyama worked on it, but no). Should be fun in Co-op, too
    • .If I can get three games, then I suppose Cyberbots and Strider are my other choices. But we'll see.

Regarding the main topic (which is a pretty good one)... I actually hate grinding/farming in videogames. I don't like repetitive tasks, and I revel in challenges, so a lot of reasons for me not to do it. Whenever possible, I'd rather just figure out a solution to a hard challenge with whatever option I already have (so, a change in strategy or setup, as far as RPGs go). Fire Emblem Heroes is a good example of this, as I hate raising my units' levels and SP in that game, but I then love to figure out a solution for a challenge (and in some cases, will even take a self-imposed challenge by building a "themed" team and trying to win that way).

Not to say I never grind (if the reward is something specific, like a new move that changes the way I play, I'll go for it), but even when I do, I have to rationalise it as a challenge: for example, if a few quests in FEH require me to defeat 5 enemies with each one of three separate characters, I'd rather build an inefficient team with those three, take on a significant challenge with them, and accomplish all the quests in one fell swoop. In a way, finding the most efficient way to grind can be a small challenge in itself, so I'm motivated if I think that way.

Even in Three Houses (which H-o-T loves because he can grind), I can only stomach extra battles if I can think of them as challenges. Thankfully, that game gives us tough skirmishes with high-level opponents and an in-built legit strategic challenge (bandits and monsters will go after each other, potentially robbing you of valuable items and EXP), so grinding missions can be satisfying to play in a way that the main missions aren't.

As for spending a lot of time in a single game... Smash Bros is likely it for me, especially since I got involved with its competitive side. Any fighting game that catches my fancy ends up a bit like this, even when there aren't decent opponents around me: if the game appeals to me, I'm eager to explore its moves and matchups for as long as it takes. Outside of that genre... probably Advance Wars. I can play that series forever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another solid episode! About Snakeybus, it's been a while since I played it but I didn't notice any harmful slowdowns. That said, the whole game has this tech demo vibe to it (with the level of polish and the graphics) but that is all pretty easy to overlook by the sheer absurdity of it. 

I'm thinking back to the last time I really grinded in an RPG, and I think it was in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn to take on Dullahan. I used to grind in Pokémon as well, to get some 'mon to level 100. But that is not necessary anymore due to newly introduced mechanisms. Sometimes I just go around a little bit to level up one or two levels in for example Xenoblade, but definitely not for hours to an end.

I do tend to grind for rewards though. Although I haven't played it for months, the biggest grind game for me was Paladins. Being a free-to-play game, there is a season pass with free unlockables and daily challenges that give out rewards. There I grinded a bit to just get that extra reward. 

I'm guessing Animal Crossing can be considered a grind game as well. Going back daily (or in my case a couple of times a week) to get some extra cash, fossils, bugs etc. feels grindy but in a relaxed kind of way. And then there are the palette cleanser games, for when I only have a short amount of time to play or I just want to play something brainless. That usually means I boot up a pinball game. But I don't really count that as grinding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep on forgetting to post the hard work of others, as the 56th Podcast is now up at the N-Europe YouTube Channel.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

N-E Café [057] Jingle All The Way is now available from all good podcast providers.

Recorded on the 20th of December, 2020.  

Episode 57 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone taking you through the most noteworthy Nintendo news, reviewing their recently played games, and a Big Topic appropriated from the N-Europe Forums all about Local and Competitive Online Play.

This is episode 57 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Diddy Kong Racing - Walrus Cove

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:25

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:03:36

⦁ Download Delights: 0:34:16

⦁ PGA 2K21: 0:42:49

⦁ Cake Bash: 0:50:57

⦁ No More Heroes, Lonely Mountains: Downhill: 0:59:50

⦁ Local Vs. Online Multiplayer: 1:03:27

⦁ Closing: 1:29:28

⦁ Podcast Extras: 1:33:11

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36404-necafe57banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 57 now available!

- - - - -

Another excellent listen this week, it was nice to hear about what you've all been playing this week, I know some weeks there will be a lot to talk about, while other weeks might seem empty, but an hour here and there spent gaming, it does add up... I was surprised that I managed ten hours of gaming this week, all online as well, which leads nicely onto...

This weeks Listener Question about Local versus Online Gaming, it was good to get everyones perspective on the topic, especially as arranging gaming sessions can  be trying, if you're busy anyway, so online can be easier in that respect, I can remember many a fond local multiplayer session, though that doesn't happen much these days, and hasn't for a while, which is probably why I'm drawn to online gaming, it's definitely the community aspect which makes it for me.

Well played on the tunes this week, I don't want to spoil it but it's nice and festive, and wanting to carry on the theme, I went for images from ice levels in games which featured on Nintendo platforms, rather than making a banner based on this weeks talked about games, as none of the images I could find, would have really worked that well in a banner.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode, and I'll update this weeks episode with the YouTube embed, as soon as it's available.

• Like 2

This is a weird week for the podcast, because a lot of what was talked about (Bravely Default II, the Indie Direct, Online vs. Local), I already gave my opinion on them in their respective threads.

I do think it was surprising how little attention was given to the Indie Direct, though. For example, you didn't even mention Grindstone during that segment, only to bring it up and praise it in the new releases segment. No mention of Fisti-Fluffs, either.

Oh, and I should make my weekly guess:

Spoiler

HA! :grin: Good one, I appreciated it. I did enjoy the silly lyrics, and you even got me improvising some singing while driving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m roughly halfway through so far, and I have enjoyed hearing some of that random news I hadn’t heard about.

Updating Swapnote / Letter Box really is a peculiar decision.  Although I admit to being one of the few still playing my 3DS regularly. More so due to my backlog for it (thanks mainly to store sales trying to get rid of their stock in the last couple of years).  Not Letter Box though since, as you say, what’s the point?

The Nintendo / Game scent thing?  Hearing your news it’s apparently being made minutes away from me, and I wasn’t aware of any perfume makers in the area?! I’m not sure who is actually making the stuff unless it is Game staff themselves?? 😬

Anyway, with the hecticness of Christmas Eve I’d just like to wish you all (podcast presenters, N-E staff, all forum users) a good Christmas.  Whatever your situation, hope you make the most of it & have a good time.

• Like 2

@WackerJr Thanks.  Shocked to find out that you don't know about Basingstoke's thriving community of Perfumers.

And, Happy Holidays from all of us, we're not taking a break this year, so we'll back next Tuesday with episode 58, and an Awards show to rival The Keighleys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

N-E Café [058] What a Year! is now available at all good podcast providers.

Recorded on the 27th of December, 2020.  

Episode 58 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies and Nick Lone taking you through the most noteworthy Nintendo news, and a run down of Award worthy games of 2020.  We’ll catch up on Greg’s Top 5 next week.

This is episode 58 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Super Mario 3D World - Snow Theme

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:32

⦁ Nintendo News/Sales Data: 0:03:45

⦁ Download Delights: 0:23:47

⦁ 2020 Awards: 0:32:40

⦁ Closing: 1:39:05

⦁ Podcast Extras: 1:41:11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A great episode to round off the year. :D

I'll promote it properly on the main page tomorrow, as I've only had time to listen to it while uploading the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity review.

I'm pretty certain on the transition tunes though...

Spoiler

It's all the ice/snow tracks through the ages of Mario Kart as you have SNES, N64 & GC representation of the Frappe Snowland track in its various incarnations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Holidays to our N-E Café hosts. These were some fun categories you had there, so if I had a game for each...

• Best Graphics: Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Best Music: Bravely Default
  • Best Story: Fire Emblem - Three Houses
  • Best Retro-style game: Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon
  • Best Family game: Snipperclips
  • Best Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros.
  • Best RPG: Fire Emblem - Three Houses
  • Best Strategy: Advance Wars - Dark Conflict
  • Best Platformer: Sonic 2
  • Best Puzzler: Snipperclips
  • Best Action: Atomicrops
  • Best Adventure/Metroidvania: Dandara
  • Best Event: The Portuguese national Smash tourney back in February. Lovely time.

Any award I omitted, I either didn't play anything in that genre, or I only played one. I'll leave Top 10s and rankings for another time.

(BTW, I laughed a lot at the Doritos ad :p Well done)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this