NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

Dang, this is a meaty one! After the usual News and eShop segments, the rest of the podcast seems 7 times its usual length! The occasion is worth it, though: fantastic job on making it to 50 episodes. It's been great, hearing you guys every Tuesday morning, and it's definitely been fun commenting on so many topics at that time (as well as guessing the Transition Tunes, which, by the way, it's "only" a four-week streak I'm in). Here's to 50 more!

Now, as surprised as I am that I got them right, I won't be guessing the Tunes for this week. An 8-bit Jump Up Superstar? I don't even know where that's from. Is it Odyssey? I really should play that one.

As appealing as this week's sales are, I really must contain myself. After Snake Pass (& a bunch of Inti Creates stuff), I really need to stop buying games until I make some real progress on my backlog.

Anyway, I heard up until my interview and stopped (because I'm so egocentric), but I'll be hearing the rest of it through the week. I'm loving to hear so many varied opinions on the Mario series, been a wild ride where I go back and forth

(It's so weird to hear my voice. I really should improve my diction, because my God, I could barely hear the word "Egypt". The "uhhhhhm"s seem to be endemic, though)

I've been hearing the criticisms on SM64's awkwardness and bad camera since 2002-03 :heh: And I never felt annoyed by Tick-Tock Clock (rather, it's Rainbow Ride that drives my goat). I didn't feel them when I replayed the game last time a few years ago either, so this disagreement seems to be a simple difference in opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36369-necafe50banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 50 now available!

Now up on the main page. :D

- - - - -

What a truly fantastic fiftieth episode, thanks to @Londragon @Nicktendo and @nekunando for all the work which goes into the podcast in general and for conducting those interviews. I thought that each of the interviews offered something unique, when it comes to Mario memories, and with each title being so different that each of us picked, I think it made for a great look back overall, and it brought a lot to the format.

Thank you for interviewing me, and thank you to @Jonnas @WackerJr @Will and @Vileplume2000 for being interviewed, each one was really enjoyable in its own right, I really liked hearing about all of your memories and passion for games from within the Mario series, it brought back some good memories for me as well. :)

All of the sections about Mario through the ages, gave a good insight into the series, while putting questions from the questionnaire at different parts throughout was a great idea, as the general format of the podcast flowed really well, then having the Quiz at the end was a great way to round it off, some really tricky questions in there as well.

Great music selection as well, I know wer'e not doing traditional transition tunes this week, but I did recognise a fair few of those tracks. :peace:

As much as I enjoy the podcast, I am glad to hear that you'll all be taking a break for a couple of weeks, I'm aware that it does take a lot to organise a weekly podcast, what with all the news etc... indeed, the podcast is most of our news now on the N-Europe main site, this is why I mostly just cover the Directs and most of the bigger game announcements when they happen, as there's just too much to keep up with otherwise; I'm grateful that you cover most of the news and I've been ensuring that I get the promotion article for the podcast up in a more timely manner, as of late, in addition to keeping all of those video links updated. :smile:

Then there's all the editing... it's all really well produced, I can hear that a lot of thought goes into it all, as it shows in the final episode.

I think it would be a good thing, to have more interviews as part of the podcast in the future, potentially, maybe not all the time, but it certainly adds something to the format.

I'll gladly help and do whatever I can to assist with the show, if required, and in general, I'm pleased to be able to promote it on the main page each week, I know the write-ups do follow a set structure, but I'll change it up when I can, just as I have done with this special episode; the content is excellent though and speaks for itself.

Here's to many more episodes.

• Like 4

I'm now up to the end of the questionnaire (will's segment is next), and I must say, I'm surprised at this animosity towards Piantas! Seems to be a common sentiment too, but I like those dopey fellows: I just can't hate a face with that kind of nose.

And also, a correction: Fawful is only the second-in-command to the main villain in M&L: Superstar Saga (he was only the mustard in the sandwich of doom that was Cackletta's delicious masterplan), but his dialogue and unique wacky personality made him a fan favourite, so he returned in the third M&L game as the main villain in that one.

On a side-note, you should really give that sub-series a go. It's an absolute hoot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm at the exact same point as @Jonnas now, and it's quite a ride! Love the work you put into it and the time you took to involve us, the listeners. A lot there to agree and to disagree with, but great to hear all the reminiscing about Mario's rich history.

And great to see a lot of love for the Superstar Saga, they are indeed a great spin-off series as I'll explain later in the podcast. :grin: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've finally listened to the episode in its entirety. 
I was very trusting of Lee and Greg in editing :laughing:

A huge thanks to everyone for joining us in this episode, it was a lot of fun to record and even more fun hearing everyone's Mario memories. 

I'd love to have everyone back on in the future, and anyone on N-E for that matter, to do more listener segments. We don't have a very wide reach - around 40-50 listeners a week for the podcast and YouTube, but it is a real pleasure to make this podcast for the site. We're not professionals, but opinionated fanboys who may not always get it right, but we're all passionate about Nintendo. Thank you to everyone who listens and thanks to N-E for allowing us to chat shit for a couple of hours every week under the site's banner. 

Most of all, thanks to @Londragon and @nekunando for making Sunday mornings easy to get up for. This past year has been an absolute pleasure. Here's to many more.

We're always open to questions, feedback and criticism, so keep it coming if you have any comments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow that was a epic, but highly enjoyable, listen!

Great work to everyone involved.  As @S.C.G said, the general format of the podcast flowed really well.  Keeping each section fairly short & varied didn’t make it feel anywhere near as long as it actually was.

I thought everyone interviewed did really well too, considering it’s not something they /we normally do. Each was different & interesting & was great to see different thoughts, memories, & the passion for those games.  Plus no idea that @Will worked for  Sega, that was a surprise and enjoyed the story behind his involvement.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to take part, thank you.

Enjoy a well-deserved break. Even just the huge editing by itself must have been a monumental task, never mind recording the episode on top.  Regardless of how many people listen, you all do a terrific job & I got one enjoy listening each week.  Judging by comments I’ve received (including family mocking my voice & comments!) there should be a handful of new listeners this week 👍🏻

Shame Fawful didn’t receive more love though 😂😂😂

Well done all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Finished listening to it as well, and all that's left to say is that the Mario questionnaire was appropriately difficult, and engaging to listen to. Great idea!

Also, loved hearing about will's involvement at Sega. I had heard bits and pieces about him working there, but hearing a more first-hand account was great (to think he was as surprised as we were when Mario&Sonic got announced!).

Finally, Doki Doki Literature Club is a free game on Steam, and takes roughly 5 hours to get through. Very highly recommended.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

Finally finished listening to the 50th episode and really enjoyed it. The interviews were a great addition and really enjoyable to get some more perspectives on things. I even listened to my own and didn't completely hate it! Would be great to have more of those in the future. Quiz was also good, don't think I would have done very well on it at all.

I should have researched my own history a bit better, I realized that some of what I said was not completely accurate as I managed to get dates and times muddled up - you'll have to let me off, it was 13 years ago!

Looking forward to the next 50 episodes!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Will said:

I should have researched my own history a bit better, I realized that some of what I said was not completely accurate as I managed to get dates and times muddled up - you'll have to let me off, it was 13 years ago!

Looking forward to the next 50 episodes!

I do it all the time Will, age doesn't help me either.

Glad you're looking forward to the next 50 episodes, because here's Episode 51.

N-E Café [051] Version 2.0 Includes Improved Stability is now available at all good podcast providers, and some shady providers, too.

Episode 51 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone running through the Nintendo News highlights of the last 2 weeks, seeing as Nintendo dropped their 2nd fiscal quarter results.  Recent Games highlights Luigi’s Mansion 3, RE 0, Part-Time UFO, Namco Museum, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dirt Rally 2.0, and Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii).  Our Big Topic focuses on the Nintendo Direct Mini.

This is episode 51 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Pac Man

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:23

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:02:38

⦁ Sales Data: 0:23:42

⦁ Download Delights: 0:34:42

⦁ Luigi’s Mansion 3: 0:40:41

⦁ Resident Evil Zero: 0:43:13

⦁ Part-Time UFO: 0:44:49

⦁ Namco Museum: 0:47:00

⦁ Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Green Stars): 0:59:38

⦁ Dirt Rally 2.0: 1:01:30

⦁ Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii): 1:03:09

⦁ Big Topic: Nintendo Last Partner Direct of 2020: 1:09:24

⦁ Closing: 1:38:07

⦁ Podcast Extras: 1:40:06

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Londragon said:

We have a new contender for Transition Tunes streak record. :cheeky:

4 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Someone had to put a stop to his reign of terror.

I've not finished this weeks episode yet but I did get a laugh at Nick talking about Resident Evil 0, mainly because a family member just had a very similar experience.

I was talking to my eldest brother on the phone the other day and he also picked RE0 (Switch). He said he was really enjoying it until he lost an hours progress due to him forgetting to save. He said he's so used to auto saving that he forgot to use the ink ribbons. :D 

@Londragon I bought the Namco collection a while back now and the main reason for that was due to Rolling Thunder. I have fond memories of playing that as a kid. The same goes for Turrican. I played a lot of that on my Amiga 600. 

I'm torn on how I feel about the sales data. On the one hand it's great that Nintendo are doing well but on the other I don't think a lot of it is well earned. I find it pretty frustrating that they've found this level success but have remained quite stagnant, especially this year. Just goes to show the pull they have over people and the strength of their IP....as well as vault tactics. :p 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ah, the dastardly H-o-T thinks he can take my streak, does he? He's right! He posted before I woke up, and I didn't play the game anyway (though I did recognize the leitmotif from the trailer, but alas, too late). I shall have my revenge soon enough.

As for the episode:

• Koizumi has a point: gameplay is ultimately part of the story. In a way, story in 2D platformers can be constricted by the fact that you saw the main character die various times (so, if the main character dies in-story, that can be a hard sell). In the other side of the coin, gameplay also allows you to characterize your main character (Wario's brute mannerisms, Kratos' ultra violence, etc). Sure, maybe he was justifying the lack of story in Mario games, but that was a legit nugget of wisdom regardless;
  • A shame that Pikmin 3 didn't perform that well, but the series was always a hard sell. The crowd that likes adventures and fights might feel like the soothing ambience isn't for them, while the calm crowd that likes Animal Crossing and such might immediately recognize that they're not into fighting big monsters;
  • Fire Emblem Awakening was indeed the series best-seller when it came out, but FE Fates surpassed it by a significant margin (though to be fair, FE Fates is actually three games sold separately, that likely inflated number of units sold);
  • I second the recommendation for Yoku's Island Express. Excellent game, especially at that price;
  • Does Part-Time UFO even count as Indie? I feel like HAL Laboratory is such a veteran company, and often working with Nintendo, it feels weird to call them such. It's a smaller game for sure, but "indie" usually refers to the company that made (or manages) the game, right?;
  • I share many of your concerns regarding Cloud gaming, but I don't think the market will follow what Control or Hitman III are doing. Looking at the industry as a whole, I think the Game Pass format will ultimately be the way to go for "Stream Gaming". What we're seeing right now are early experiments, a way to evaluate how viable Cloud gaming can be (and right now, I think the market for it on the Switch is pretty narrow).
Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36376-necafe51banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 51 now available!

- - - - -

Great episode there, I enjoyed hearing the enthusiasm for all things snooker related from @Londragon and @Nicktendo revisiting Resident Evil Zero just reminded me how great a game it was for its time, yet how much I prefer being able to save anywhere as opposed to the typewriter system, plus hearing @nekunando shun Super Mario 3D All-Stars by keeping it sealed, choosing to continue with playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, brought a smile to my face; also, I'm seriously considering playing Disaster: Day of Crisis on the Wii now, it sounds great. :)

It's nice to see the continued love for Part-Time UFO as well, I wanted to keep that going for as long as possible, hence this weeks banner. ;)

Nice coverage of the Nintendo mini Direct as well, it's very like Nintendo to host the last one of the year, right after you put out the fiftieth episode, but it was still great to hear all of your opinions on the showcase, as it was quite a good one, by Nintendo Direct standards, and it's good to hear Greg getting excited for the No More Heroes games again. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm seriously considering playing Disaster: Day of Crisis on the Wii now, it sounds great. :)

Great is a bit of a push. :D It is fun though....at times.

Have you never played it before?

• Haha 2

N-E Café [052] Grow Up! is now available at all good podcast providers.

Episode 52 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone discuss the week’s events in NintendoLand, talk about their recently played games, and discuss the hypocrisy of binge TV watchers denouncing gaming as a waste of time.

This is episode 52 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - Successor

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:23

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:02:45

⦁ Download Delights: 0:26:58

⦁ Paper Mario: The Origami King: 0:35:44

⦁ Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies: 0:51:38

⦁ Nick’s Update: 0:58:42

⦁ Big Topic: A General Disdain for Gaming: 1:03:39

⦁ Closing: 1:25:55

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shame to have a blank in a critical moment, but the Adam Jensen series that @Londragon wanted to mention was Deus Ex. It's a cyberpunk setting, like State of Mind is.

As for the transition tunes, I'll take a shot in the dark:

Spoiler

ABZÛ

I literally bought it yesterday, considering the massive discount, but haven't touched it yet. The tunes I heard here are what I imagine the soundtrack is like.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Jonnas said:
Shame to have a blank in a critical moment, but the Adam Jensen series that [mention=8211]Londragon[/mention] wanted to mention was Deus Ex.

Yes, it was Deus Ex. Remembered after the recording finished. This happens more and more often, damn age related issues, . Loved my time with the game on WiiU.
I bought the game you guessed for TT, and haven’t played it either, but it’s what sprang to my mind, too.

Edited by Londragon

Oh, that's unfortunate formatting on that quote... 

Regarding the main topic, my own experience is the Portuguese one, I suppose. I've seen attitudes about gaming change over the years, and a lot of people are more accepting these days (part of it is that stores have relatively recently started using the English term "gaming", which added some flair of legitimacy to the hobby/branch, even if I kinda hate that). People are still judgemental over Nintendo stuff, but it's the same attitude they have towards, say, Disney films, so the gaming part of it is minor.

I've noticed that the gaming stigma has been traditionally applied to consoles... But PC gaming has always gotten unusually exempt from it. Might be because PCs are more associated with engineers and "tech wizes". Or maybe it's because it's associated with games like Age of Empires, Civ, or Medal of Honour, you know, stuff that looks mature and respectable. Ironically, PC gaming culture these days looks more immature than ever (have you seen those neon keyboards and accessories?), but that might just be me.

The "kids watching too much YouTube" stuff goes beyond gaming, and it annoys me so much. To prevent an off-topic rant, that's all I'll say :heh: 

(Sorry if the response is brief or sloppy this week. My laptop is going through some stuff, and I'm typing on the phone)

• Like 2

content-4-36379-necafe52banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 52 now available!

- - - - -

Thanks for putting together another excellent episode @Londragon @Nicktendo & @nekunando :) It's always nice to hear about what you've all been playing, Lee's continued devotion to Paper Mario: The Origami King is encouraging, it reminds me of another Nintendo title this year that I'd like to go back to, I enjoyed Nick's slew of gaming achievements, Civilisation is a series I'll likely never get into but it must have been good to score a win in it, the same with No More Heroes... it has been a while since I played that game, though it's a rewarding title once you get past a tough battle, plus Greg's reliving of poast Wii games is making me want to go back and play Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Stars all over again, as I have really fond memories of that series, there really isn't anything like it, and I felt compelled to devote the banner art this week to it. :peace:

This weeks topic definitely strikes a chord, Gaming as a hobby is fantastic, and when you have people from the outside looking in, declaring games as 'a waste of time' well... you could say the same about anything, people should do what they feel enjoyable to them, obviously not to the exclusion of everything else, but at the same time, if you're spending a few hours playing a game that you're enjoying then... who is it hurting? No one. Therefore it's fine. :smile:

I find myself playing games less and less these days, but that's just where I'm at. ::shrug: When I do choose to dedicate time to a particular game though, it's always well worth my time, and if I'm not enjoying a game for any reason, I just stop playing and leave it, maybe coming back to it at a later date, or just leaving it completely as there's plenty of games out there, generally though, I do return to the same games when I can't think of any new game which I might want to play.

Also, this weeks podcast felt like the perfect length to me, some weeks there will be more to say, others less... I really don't listen to that many gaming podcasts now, N-E Café is the only podcast I make time for now, and I'm glad that I do, plus I'm grateful to be promoting it on the main page each week, certain aspects of the news, especially the Nintendo's Annual Sales stuff really comes across much better in this format than in an article, and it's great that the YouTube version of the podcast has been going up on the N-E channel so promptly, I've updated the previous episode, as for this weeks, I've just put the YouTube embed in there straight away.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The "kids watching too much YouTube" stuff goes beyond gaming, and it annoys me so much. To prevent an off-topic rant, that's all I'll say :heh: 

Come on Jonnas, You can't dangle the carrot of a rant and then back away.

We're all ears... :grin:

I’m falling behind but I feel embarrassed to say that it is only thanks to @Londragon use of the word TATE in episode 51 that I actually figured out why the word is used for what it is. What an idiot I am.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this