NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Londragon

N-E Café Podcast

content-4-36335-necafe43banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 43 now available!

Now up on the main page. :D

An excellent PodPals episode I thought, all of the talk about The Messenger just makes me wish that I had gotten around to playing it before now.

The music from the game sounds really good, I think I will get aorund to playing it soon anyway, it has been on my list of games to play for a while. :smile:

Of course, the banner couldn't be anything else but The Messenger, it was surprisingly difficult to find any clean .png images for this but I got a clean logo from the press kit. :peace:

Thanks again for another excellent episode.

1 minute ago, S.C.G said:

content-4-36335-necafe43banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 43 now available!

An excellent PodPals episode I thought, all of the talk about The Messenger just makes me wish that I had gotten around to playing it before now.

The music from the game sounds really good, I think I will get aorund to playing it soon anyway, it has been on my list of games to play for a while. :smile:

Of course, the banner couldn't be anything else but The Messenger, it was surprisingly difficult to find any clean .png images for this but I got a clean logo from the press kit. :peace:

Thanks again for another excellent episode.

Our pleasure, and thanks for promoting it again, Sam.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hm? What did I do?

This:

On 11/04/2020 at 8:31 PM, drahkon said:

Way more enjoyable than the likes of Super Metroid (one of the worst games in history...yes, I'm serious :p).

A small subsection of N-Europe provocateurs: 
giphy.gif 

Sane people:
DizzyDecimalAndeancat-size_restricted.gi

• Haha 4

Just now, drahkon said:

Ah, I see.

So standard stuff, really.

You were completely right until you used that first (

:laughing:

20 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

You were completely right until you used that first (

Nah, I stand by what I said. It's a bad, bad game :p

Listening in another piecemeal way, hopefully finish off tonight on my run.

One thing I always mean to ask (and couldn't find any answer by searching) is that you always talk about the Discord - is this a server we can join?

It's that time of the week again, and boy do I have a big post for you this week.  Lots going on at the Cafe, so without further ado.

N-E Café [044] Sonic’s Only 30 Next Year

Episode 44 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett and Nick Lone discussing the latest Nintendo News; games they’ve recently been playing, including Spellbreak, Mario, and Link’s Awakening; a game giveaway; our plans for the big 5-0h; and a Listener Question about the next big anniversary.

This is episode 44 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Conker’s Bad Fur Day - Windy & Co.

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:30

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:02:24

⦁ Game Giveaway: 0:47:24

⦁ Episode 50 Plans: 0:48:32

⦁ Download Delights: 0:52:53

⦁ Spellbreak: 0:59:27

⦁ SMB 2: 01:12:30

⦁ Link’s Awakening: 1:17:38

⦁ Mario Games: 1:24:34

⦁ Listener Question: 1:34:08

⦁ Closing: 1:50:11

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Thanks 2

Sorry for the double post, but it's the easiest way of getting all this across.

First of all,

Game Giveaway

In collaboration with Digital Cyber Cherries we are proud to announce our 2nd Game Giveaway, a European Nintendo Switch eShop code for the game Hypercharge: Unboxed.

Starting from today, as of podcast release date, we’ll be sending out a tweet, that explains all you have to do to enter the competition to have the opportunity to win that game for yourself.

You’ll need to follow us on Twitter (@necafe2), like and retweet the competition tweet.

We’ll draw the winner on Saturday, 26th of September, and announce the winner on the 46th Podcast recorded on the 27th, and released on the 29th.  And we’ll announce the winner on Twitter that Tuesday, too.

Competition Tweet is here; https://twitter.com/NECafe2/status/1305654140060590080

Good Luck.

Second, we are preparing for the 50th visit to the Cafe nice and early to involve as many people as possible.

PodPals for Episode 50

We like to throw events out so that our community can participate in sharing their gaming experiences with us.  And, our N-E Cafe PodPals Programme does just that.

This time though we are looking forward to our 50th episode which will be recorded on the 25th of October.

This time we’ve chosen not to hold a voting session, but to choose the games ourselves.

As hosts we have chosen all the Mario games, with easy access so everybody has a chance of participating.  The 50th episode PodPals theme is Mario, seeing as it’s his 35th Anniversary and all.

That means we’re asking everyone in the community to play through any Mario game.  They are the 4 NES titles, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels.  The 4 SNES Super Mario All-Stars Counterparts, which released on the SNES Online App a few weeks back.  Or any of the 3D games, on any platform of your choosing.

We don’t expect anybody to play all games, but you're more than welcome to try if you want.

Whilst playing through the games, we would love for you to share your experience of it, by posting here or in the N-Europe Video Game Club Thread, N-E Cafe thread at the N-Europe forums, and we’ll share your very own personal journey with the games, and our critique on our special PodPals episode, and episode 50 of the N-E Cafe recorded on the 25th of October.  Do Mario's games still hold up?

You can play all these Mario games on any console or service you so desire.  From the Nintendo Switch Online NES and SNES Apps, the NES and SNES Mini, as a Virtual Console game (on Wii, Wii U, 3DS), or even on the original hardware.

We can’t wait to hear from you. Let’s get gaming together.

And that's not all, if you'd oblige us we have a Mario 35th Anniversary Questionnaire to get you memories flowing.  Answer as you wish, essays or one word answers, we'll take it all and include them in the podcast recorded on the 25th of October.

50th Mario Episode Questionnaire

1. Favourite 2D Mario Game

2. Least Favourite 2D Mario Game

3. Favourite 3D Mario Game

4. Least Favourite 3D Mario Game

5. Favourite Mario Spinoff title

6. Least Favourite Mario Spinoff title

7. Favourite Mario memory

8. Worst Mario memory

9. Funniest Mario memory

10. Favourite power-up

11. Favourite Mario character

12. Least Favourite Mario Character

13. Best Mini game in the Mario Universe

14. Worst Mini game in the Mario Universe

15. Any other Mario nostalgia you want to share?

• Thanks 2

Just about to enter the SMB2 talk, I'll comment a bit more on the episode as a whole later tonight.

For now, I can say that, luckily, I've been playing a certain Mario spin-off lately, and I think it'll be a good entry for the next PodPals episode (I should have my write-up on the Gaming Diary thread by the time it happens).

And the Transition Tune answer!

Spoiler

Yoshi's Island, for the SNES

Incidentally, a game I first beat for the N-E Monthly Game Club, the precursor to the PodPals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great idea to get the community involved for your 50th episode, as surely listeners will have memories of Mario in some shape or form.

Looking forward to listening once I return from holiday and will give the Mario memories some thought as it’ll be enjoyable to get involved.

• Like 1

All right, so the main points I wanted to touch were:

• I don't think the Xbox Series S being cheaper than the Switch is going to put them in competition with each other necessarily (the Switch's portability is still its main draw, and I don't think the Series S doubles as a tablet yet), but there might be significant overlap. It'll be interesting to see which piece of the consumer market that smaller model is going to win over;
  • Ports and re-releases only fix small or technical issues, and imo, all of Sunshine's flaws are endemic to its design. In the best of cases, maybe we'll see a "Blue Coin Counter" divided per mission (which would be pretty significant on its own), but even a blue coin radar seems out of the question. Heck, I'll be surprised if they fix the camera issues (borne of arbitrary, situational limitations);
  • For Zelda's 25th Anniversary, we got a few goodies (including extra artwork and an orchestral CD) alongside Skyward Sword. All I want from the 35th is something special like that, something that feels like a tribute to, or a commemoration of, the series (I'm indifferent to whether they release that alongside BotW2 or not). Gaming content is good and all, but I don't think it's the most appropriate thing to do for what's supposed to be a one-time celebration;
  • For Sonic's 30th Anniversary, I want Sonic Mania 2. This is not related to the occasion, I really just want that game to actually exist.

Also, question: when we fill the questionnaire, do we do it in Private Messages only, or can we do it in this thread, if we want to?

• Like 1

Also, question: when we fill the questionnaire, do we do it in Private Messages only, or can we do it in this thread, if we want to?

You can do it in the thread, or as a PM, if you want it to be a surprise, up to you. Whichever way, it’ll appear on the podcast. Thanks.
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36338-necafe44banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 44 now available!

Great episode, with some really interesting game discussion, especially the talk about Mario games.

Probably best to save a lot of Mario game discussion until the fiftieth episode though, by the sounds of it. ;)

Of course, with a title like that for the podcast, the banner couldn't be anything else but a Sonic one, especially as it's only his 30th anniversary, next year. :heh:

Thanks again for another excellent episode. :peace:

• Like 1

N-E Café [045] He Sent Me Directly To The Briefing is now available from all good podcast providers. Take a look at the opening post for more details of where you can subscribe to us.

Recorded on the 20th of September, 2020.  

Episode 45 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies, Gregory Moffett joined by N-Europe’s Sam Gittins in Nick’s absence.  They’ll be discussing the latest Nintendo News, including the Mini Direct; games they’ve recently been playing, including Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2, Splatoon 2, and Super Punch Patrol; a game giveaway; and our Big Topic The Nintendo Director’s Briefing Meeting.

This is episode 45 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: World Tour: Punch Out!! Wii

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:28

⦁ Nintendo Direct Mini: 0:02:23

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:27:00

⦁ Game Giveaway: 0:57:33

⦁ Episode 50 Plans: 1:00:21

⦁ Sales Data: 1:01:14

⦁ Download Delights: 1:06:03

⦁ Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2: 01:09:55

⦁ Splatoon 2: 1:17:04

⦁ Super Punch Patrol: 1:22:17

⦁ A Brief Meeting of Minds: 1:34:24

⦁ Closing: 1:58:40

⦁ Old Podcast Extras & Son: 1:59:17

Can you guess what game the Transition Tunes come from?  If they ring a bell, get in touch with us, or if you have a Listener's Question you’d like us to discuss, contact us right here.

• Thanks 2

Had no idea about that listing from a Portuguese website (and I hadn't heard of the retailer in question, either). I briefly checked their website, and they have Metroid Prime 4 listed as well... which makes me think they might be listing products out of hearsay, rather than official information.

For me, the only things that would justify raising the Nintendo Online price would be A. Gamecube, N64, and/or Gameboy titles added into the service, or B. Some sort of major agreement with a third party, such as Microsoft or Ubisoft, that would cinch them some sort of synergy with said partner's subscription services (which is highly unlikely, but still one of the few scenarios where I can see them raising the price). But I could be wrong, of course.

Other than that, I actually don't have much to add this week! Happened to be an episode where I'm not that into the titles discussed. Though I can still guess...

Spoiler

Monster Hunter Stories

The tracks I heard had that grandiose-yet-forgettable energy that MH music also tends to have

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36342-necafe45banner.jpg

N-E Café Episode 45 now available!

Thanks for having me on the podcast this week, it was great getting to talk about games with you both. :)

Also, even though I was part of this episode, the transition tunes are put in later of course, so I don't have any idea what they're going to be.

As it turns out though, I know what this weeks transition tune is, so I can't not 'guess' at it. ;)

Spoiler

Hmm, I wonder... could it possibly be that the transition tunes are all from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate by any chance?

Great Podcast Extras section at the end there too. :grin:

I think that calls for a shameless plug of Old Nintendo Gamer and Son because it's a great channel you've built up there @Londragon :peace:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

transition tune (Hide contents)

Hmm, I wonder... could it possibly be that the transition tunes are all from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate by any chance?

Great Podcast Extras section at the end there too. :grin:

I think that calls for a shameless plug of Old Nintendo Gamer and Son because it's a great channel you've built up there @Londragon :peace:

Shameless, :blush:

Spoiler

Well done, Sam.  And, unlucky Jonnas, right series, but wrong game.  Nice try.

• Haha 2

For regular listeners of the N-E Café Podcast, I just wanted to let you know that I'm taking a few weeks away from recording the show with @Londragon and @Nicktendo.

I've spoken to both of them before on several occasions about feeling that I need to shut myself off for a little while to recharge my batteries and rediscover some enthusiasm for games in general.

As I suspect has probably come across in many recent episodes of the podcast, it has been becoming increasingly difficult to be excited about talking about games, and in particular Nintendo, when almost all of the news and games that have been revealed over the course of the year haven't really struck a chord with me.

There are only so many times you can try to come up with something bordering on meaningful discussion or say you're not interested in a game or topic before the whole thing becomes tired. It doesn't benefit me and it certainly doesn't benefit the listeners.

It's certainly not forever but I'm sure you'll all enjoy whatever Lee, Nick and guests have in store over the coming weeks. I just can't bring myself to be arsed to talk about Kirby Fighters 2..

Edited by nekunando
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, nekunando said:

I need to shit myself

We all need to do that once in a while, :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

N-E Café [046] Buyouts and Sellouts is now live at all good podcast providers.

Let's hope we are not the sellouts.

Episode 46 of the N-E Café has hosts Lee Davies and Nick Lone holding down the fort while Greg takes a well-deserved break.  They’ll be discussing the latest Nintendo News; games they’ve recently been playing, including Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES app, Crimsonland and Super Mario 3D All-Stars; a game giveaway winner announced; and our Big Topic, the Microsoft buyout of ZeniMax Media.

This is episode 46 of the N-E Café Podcast, an N-Europe Podcast. Enjoy!

⦁ Intro Music: Super Mario Galaxy - Rosalina in the Observatory

⦁ Introductions: 0:00:230

⦁ Nintendo News: 0:03:17

⦁ Game Giveaway: 0:34:02

⦁ Episode 50 Plans: 0:35:23

⦁ Sales Data: 0:36:49

⦁ Download Delights: 0:38:50

⦁ Donkey Kong Country 2: 0:44:57

⦁ Crimsonland: 0:48:46

⦁ Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 0:55:17

⦁ Topic of the Week - Microsoft buys Bethesda: 1:10:36

⦁ Closing: 1:22:57

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Busy morning, will comment more substantially later. But I know the Transition Tunes:

Spoiler

That music has major PS1 Final Fantasy vibes, and a Nobuo Uematsu style, but I don't recognise it.

So it has to be Final Fantasy VIII, currently on sale

• Like 2

On 25/09/2020 at 5:59 PM, nekunando said:

For regular listeners of the N-E Café Podcast, I just wanted to let you know that I'm taking a few weeks away from recording the show with @Londragon and @Nicktendo.

I've spoken to both of them before on several occasions about feeling that I need to shut myself off for a little while to recharge my batteries and rediscover some enthusiasm for games in general.

I’m sorry to hear that and hope that taking a break does bring back some of your motivation & enthusiasm.

I think the three of you do a great job continuing to have done the podcast on a weekly basis, and you do all work well together.  The video game industry can be so hit-or-miss with weekly news & information (even more so during the pandemic) that it can’t be easy to fill that 1-2 hours of talk, yet you’ve all continually managed it.

Take a break and hopefully you’ll be wanting to return to it soon.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this