NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Civilization VI (PS4, XBox One) - November, 22

Awesome!

Not too fussed about the fact that DLC will be sold separately instead of the game coming as a GOTY edition or something, but I've wanted to play this for a long time and now it's coming to PS4 :D Can't wait!

Edited by drahkon

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Also coming to Xbox One. Would be great if someone can change the thread title :) 

Because you created the thread, you should be able to change the thread title, I think?

Civilization as a series seems to have been around for a long time, it's just not something which has ever appealed to me.

But obviously if you're into the series, this is probably the best the games have ever been I would imagine.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Because you created the thread, you should be able to change the thread title, I think?

Did not know that. Thanks :peace: 

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Did not know that. Thanks :peace:

No trouble at all, I only found out recently when I made a thread. :blush:

About this game series, I'm curious... what's the most appealing aspect of this kind of game to you?

For me, I've never been that fussed about simulation games so I think that's why I don't really give them a chance because they feel like the kind of game I know I wouldn't like.

Strategy on the other hand, such as Advance Wars... I like that but simulation just feels too much like having a virtual "job" to me I suppose.

That's the only way I can think of explaining it and I don't want to seem like I'm down on the game, I know it's from a series which many players enjoy, I've just never "got it" I suppose. ::shrug:

34 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

About this game series, I'm curious... what's the most appealing aspect of this kind of game to you?

I've always been a fan of the 4X genre. From Wikipedia:

4X is a genre of strategy-based video and board games in which players control an empire and "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate".

While I haven't played many of those games, I remember spending an insane amount of time with Civilization IV back in 2005 (and years go come) and Endless Space in 2012. What I love most about these games is: the complexity. There are so many aspects/variables/mechanics you have to keep in mind while setting up your every move (and grand strategy) and I love tinking about that shit :D 

Here's a shortened rundown of a decision I had to make in Stellaris: Console Edition:

• Do I want to try and destroy my neighbouring empire?
    • Yes, because
      • it has repeatedly attacked my bases
      • it hinders my research
      • it hinders my resource collection
      • it hinders my exploration
      • I HATE IT
    • No, because
      • I could negotiate a deal and later exploit their resource acquisition with a possible trade deal
      • I could negotiate a deal and conquer every other empire with them and then backstab them at the very end
      • it might have a far superiour military might than I have right now

In the end I went with "Yes", which ended badly because the third argument in the "No" section was the reason why my empire got eradicated ::shrug: 

This is pretty much the main reason I love the genre: making decisions. It's also fun to figure out ways to exploit the AI. AI is never perfect and sometimes it can be great to just fuck 'em over :D 
Another aspect which I enjoy very much: You can usually save whenever you like and pick up anytime later. You can also pause mid-game and look at the entire situation/data without any sense of urgency. It's a relaxing genre to me and if I'm in the right mood for it I can spend many sleepless nights with it :) 

That reminds me...I need to get back to Stellaris: Console Edition. :laughing: 

• Thanks 1

Great news. I have the game on my laptop, but I prefer playing any games on console so I will be picking this up day 1.

This is out tomorrow and I am quite tempted.

Still irks me how they're selling an expansion pack for 40€ on release day...I might get the "vanilla" version on release and get the expansion later on when it's on sale.

Bought this, and am currently playing the tutorial. 

I think I'm set for the remainder of 2019 :D Death StrandigSlay the Spire and Civilization VI will keep me busy.

Sign in to follow this