NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

PC upgrade

I've not got a great PC, it's pretty basic (Acer Aspire X1930 specifically) and I was thinking of giving it a little boost. It has a PCIe X16 slot, and I was toying with the idea of popping a graphics card in there, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it and if the PC would cope. PSU is apparently around 200-250W, I've got a stick of 4GB Ram I'm going to pop in as an upgrade, can't remember if I currently have 2*2GB in here or 1*4GB, it's been a loooong time since I opened it up (naturally I'm hoping for the 1*4gb option!). Other than that I have an intel G630 running at 2.7GHz, I'd kinda like to run a 3 screen setup (I currently have a dual screen set up), Games wise my tastes are fairly tame so I don't need top of the line (fortunately!) but would like the games I do play to run comfortably maxed out (or as close to that as I can get). Not going too much into the games I play simply because the hardware is the main limit as far as I can tell, all the cards I can find fall well into my budget, but basically just wondering if anyone can put out some recommendations and also... if I get a card that needs a beefier PSU than I have, would it just flat out not work (like trying to get something requiring two AA batteries to run on just a single battery) or more like running it on rechargeables instead of single use batteries (.3V difference sometimes means things run but not as intended)? Kinda feel embarrassed to ask these questions because I should probably remember all of this, just it's been sooo long since I last played around in a PC!

(forgot to mention, it would have to be a low profile card as the PC is pretty slimline)

Edited by Pestneb

Sorry, but I think you're CPU is going to be a bottleneck (never even heard of it). It depends on what exactly you want to do with your computer (what software and/or games you're using / playing), but I don't think a super low end video card (which may work) is going to be a significant change, and a mid or high end card is probably not going to work because of your PSU and the CPU being a bottleneck. 3 monitors? No I think you need something beefier, but again, it depends on what you want to do with it. Again, if you're doing only doing Excel spreadsheets or something, you may get away with adding a budget videocard and get a 3 monitor setup working, but anything beyond that, I doubt it. In your case I'd just buy a new computer, since you need to replace too many stuff to get everything working together.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this