NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Apple Arcade

Been checking this out on the free trial and you know what? It’s actually not terrible. :heh: In fact, it’s pretty bloody good! :o While I’m not a fan of the direction the video game industry is taking with digital/streaming/subscriptions etc., it’s almost certainly the way everything is going to end up, so yeah... might as well just go with it. ::shrug:

Anyway, so far I’ve tried Frogger in Toy Town which is probably one of the more mobile-esque games on the service, but it looks incredible. Q-Games really know how to deliver in that department. :cool: Cat Quest II which as I expected is more of the same, but the first one (which I played through on Switch) was great so it’s all good, touch controls seem ok too. Sonic Racing which looks good and runs very smoothly, can be played online as well I believe. And last but definitely not least, The Pinball Wizard which I have to say might just be my favourite of the lot so far. It’s like a little pinball adventure game, complete with enemies, levelling up and upgradable skills, super cool. :grin: 

Very briefly tried Oceanhorn 2 and Sayonara Wild Hearts but wasn’t really feeling either of those. 

Have also downloaded but am yet to try ChuChu Rocket! Universe, What the Golf?, Explottens, SpidersaursShantae and the Seven Sirens and Exit the Gungeon. Soooo many games! :eek: There are loads more available in the first set too, hopefully I’ll be able to try ‘em all before the trial ends. :D 

Now given how most people on here view mobile gaming this is probably a very silly question, but anyone else checking out Apple Arcade? With so many games on there it’d be nice to get some recommendations going to help identify the better titles.

• Thanks 1

Rayman Mini is probably worth checking out if it's anything like Rayman Jungle Run (which is probably the best auto runner ever made; surprisingly good game! Would've happily have bought it if it came out on Switch!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Been checking this out on the free trial and you know what? It’s actually not terrible. :heh: In fact, it’s pretty bloody good! :o While I’m not a fan of the direction the video game industry is taking with digital/streaming/subscriptions etc., it’s almost certainly the way everything is going to end up, so yeah... might as well just go with it. ::shrug:

For mobile, I kind of think this model kinda works. I see mobile gaming as more throwaway/time killers though.

I wish Android had something similar, but it probably wouldn't be as good. :heh:

• Like 1

There are many things that make Google's offering look poor but when compared to Apple Arcade and how they're curating games for that service (and from the sounds of it, a lot of really good and unique games), offering older mobile games and apps isn't really going to sway many people.

I get that developers tend to focus more on iOS because of a lower number of devices to develop and test on compared to the ridiculous amounts of Android devices that have so many different parts (and that's before factoring in that Android users are less likely to spend on apps or games and why those things are thereby cheaper on Android compared to the Apple store) but you would hope that Google, with Stadia on the way and their spending money there, would be willing to try and go along a similar route to Apple. Apparently not it seems.

I gave 4 games a download on Apple's service and it's great. I cant believe how good Oceanhorn 2 looks on my iPhone 8. Looking forward to when this is supported by Apple TV and I can put them on the big screen with my Xbox pad. I'll probably stay subscribed as the price is pretty good and gives me the chance to explore a few indies. Well played, Apple!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

There are many things that make Google's offering look poor but when compared to Apple Arcade and how they're curating games for that service (and from the sounds of it, a lot of really good and unique games), offering older mobile games and apps isn't really going to sway many people.

I get that developers tend to focus more on iOS because of a lower number of devices to develop and test on compared to the ridiculous amounts of Android devices that have so many different parts (and that's before factoring in that Android users are less likely to spend on apps or games and why those things are thereby cheaper on Android compared to the Apple store) but you would hope that Google, with Stadia on the way and their spending money there, would be willing to try and go along a similar route to Apple. Apparently not it seems.

Isn't it because of the fee Apple charges to list apps?

17 hours ago, Ike said:

Oh, look. Google just announced their version. https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/23/google-play-pass-pricing-release-date/

Wow! They ripped it off fast! That's record time for Google! :o 

Unfortunately they missed the whole point of Apple's service; since Google's version is just filled with the same mobile F2P junk that litters their storefront anyway.

Best bit is that Google are also using that scammy pay-per-hours-played model as well that is designed to destroy indie game developers and developers of single player games...

... yeah, don't support this trash.

Edited by Dcubed

Started playing this the other day:

It is amazing! :D Has to be the funniest game I’ve ever played on mobile. :laughing: 

Been making some good progress on Cat Quest II as well (fantastic game) but it’s just so easy to get distracted by other stuff when there’s so much available!

Do we know how they plan to go about adding games to this service going forward, is it going to be a monthly thing, like PS+ and Switch Online?

18 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Looking forward to when this is supported by Apple TV and I can put them on the big screen with my Xbox pad.

When is that happening then? I might be tempted to get Apple TV for this. :grin: 

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

When is that happening then? I might be tempted to get Apple TV for this. :grin: 

I think the update actually came out today, but I can’t check.

I've been playing a few of the games as I now have a longer commute to work. There is a good selection, and I've enjoyed most of what I've played so far. I've been mostly focussing on making my way through Chu Chu Rocket which I feel like I've been waiting forever to play.

On 24/09/2019 at 3:45 AM, Ike said:

Isn't it because of the fee Apple charges to list apps?

There is a small fee to join the developer program, but you don't have to pay to list apps. Generally, iPhone users are better off, use newer devices and spend more. Some of it is down to Google's pricing system being more customizable. With the App Store you pick a tier and whatever the price is for that tier will automatically be applied. On Google, you can pick any price as you see fit.

On 24/09/2019 at 9:58 PM, RedShell said:

Started playing this the other day:

It is amazing! :D Has to be the funniest game I’ve ever played on mobile. :laughing:

This looks awesome - I'm going to give it a go too.

On 24/09/2019 at 9:58 PM, RedShell said:

Do we know how they plan to go about adding games to this service going forward, is it going to be a monthly thing, like PS+ and Switch Online

Right now it's completely controlled by Apple so it will probably be a few games every week throughout the rest of the year. The games are all individually agreed with their content teams rather than you being able to put whatever you want up whenever you want to so it will likely be a much smaller set of titles released on a regular timescale for at least the first six months or so.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, will' said:

This looks awesome - I'm going to give it a go too.

It’s incredibly silly but pretty much guaranteed to make you laugh at some point, so yeah, well worth checking out. :) 

21 hours ago, will' said:

I've been mostly focussing on making my way through Chu Chu Rocket which I feel like I've been waiting forever to play.

I’ve not played much of ChuChu Rocket yet, just the initial stages which seem to be more of a tutorial than anything. Will have to get back to it soon.

It’s still all about Cat Quest II for me at the moment. :D Managed to finish The Pinball Wizard the other day though. The “ending“ was a bit anticlimactic, but the journey to reach the top of the tower was enjoyable.

22 hours ago, will' said:

Right now it's completely controlled by Apple so it will probably be a few games every week throughout the rest of the year. The games are all individually agreed with their content teams rather than you being able to put whatever you want up whenever you want to so it will likely be a much smaller set of titles released on a regular timescale for at least the first six months or so.

I see. Thanks for the info. :peace:

So I picked up an Apple TV, and playing Arcade stuff on there with my DualShock 4 has been pretty great! :cool: You can also use the controller to navigate the Apple TV menus and some of the games even get a modified UI to reflect the DS4 button symbols. There seems to be minimal fuss with save data when switching between devices too, with some games syncing automatically and others just asking you to select which data to use. It’s very slick, and something that I think I’ll get a lot of use out of. For me it even improves on the Nintendo Switch concept, as I actually get to take games on the go with a truly portable device (iPhone SE) and can still continue playing them at home on the big screen with a nice controller. :) 

Really hoping that the variety and quality of games on Apple Arcade will continue to improve, because the system that’s in place is very good indeed. It’s obviously not good if you want to own the games, but as someone who rarely replays stuff now anyway I’m fine with just enjoying single playthroughs and then moving on to new titles.

• Like 1

Finally completed Cat Quest II (100% with all achievements) was a lot of fun, albeit a very similar experience to the First game.

I've recently turned my attention to Capcom's debut Apple Arcade title, Shinsekai into the Depths. It is amazing! :cool: Anyone that has the chance to play it should definitely check it out, just make sure to do so with headphones. ;)

• Like 1

New games arrived yesterday (looks like weekly releases every Friday will be the trend going forwards for Apple Arcade) and the latest bunch included Monomals! This is a game I was really looking forward to after playing through Heroki on Switch, and having now spent a couple of hours with it I can safely say it doesn’t disappoint. It’s a fantastic blend of exploration, “platforming”, puzzle solving and music creation! Really good fun. :) Picomy are ones to watch, mark my words. ;) 

Can’t wait to get stuck into the music maker. While it appears simple it’s actually pretty deep and can be expanded by playing through the game.

• Like 1

The game looks great! I loved Heroki so i'm hoping this makes it way to the Switch as well. Sadly, looking around it seems that isn't on the cards at the moment. :( 

Sign in to follow this