NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Dragon Quest I, II & III are heading West on September 27th!

16 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Is that the one based off DQV?

Yeah.

I just pre-ordered the Japanese Blu-ray. Ah well, glad it's getting an international release.

On 12/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, drahkon said:

Played DQI for a bit and it's great. :D 

Good to see you giving the first game a try. Did it manage to hold your attention or did it become too grindy?

Even though I loved the first and second games, I ended up dropping off whilst playing the third. I enjoyed the simplicity of the first two games and their short length but the third game seemed to be dragging on for a long time, with nothing of interest really happening. It felt like the game hadn't come far enough along from the previous two games but then they decided to stretch things out. Also, the random encounter rate in this game is pretty rough. There were times where I finished a fight and then took a single step only to get into another fight. 

I plan on going back to the game sometime soon as I do want to finish every main game in the series ( just this, VII and VIII left to do ). I think that because I was playing them back to back I burnt myself out. Not too surprising seeing as I played IV-VI not too long before I played these games. 

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did it manage to hold your attention or did it become too grindy?

It's actually the first game I've finished in 2020 :D Completed it on the 1st of January.

I couldn't really play it for longer sessions because some of the backtracking was a little annoying. But I enjoyed it. It's been great to get to know the origin of the Dragon Quest series. I will definitely get II and III at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

It's actually the first game I've finished in 2020 :D Completed it on the 1st of January.

I couldn't really play it for longer sessions because some of the backtracking was a little annoying. But I enjoyed it. It's been great to get to know the origin of the Dragon Quest series. I will definitely get II and III at some point.

Good man. Yeah, the game is a little dated but the game is the perfect length. It's a bit like the original Final Fantasy in that sense. 

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

The game opens up after an hour and you're free to do whatever pretty much. I don't know if they changed it for the mobile/Switch releases but you can actually screw yourself over from learning your adjective if you select the wrong option, if I remember right (you can still do it if you know what it is so your not locked out). You will probably want a guide though.

It's less than 20 hours.

End game requires a lot of grinding, so probably. Again, unless they changed it for the Mobile/Switch version.

There's at least 2 other threads that are more relevant you could have posted in.

Sorry, was too lazy searching for this thread :p

Thanks for the info :peace:

Decided to start it up and literally two seconds in that Dragon Quest charm got me hooked :D 

Guess what I'm doing...you got it. Getting the grind on :laughing:

DQII has a somewhat frustrating battle system, due to being unable to target multiple enemies properly

I remember that the World Map is an optional get in that game, and definitely the one thing you should look up how to get if you don't find it (iirc, around the time you get the boat. Maybe a bit earlier? It's been a while)

1 hour ago, Ike said:

you can actually screw yourself over from learning your adjective if you select the wrong option, if I remember right

Not entirely sure what you mean by adjective?

52 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I remember that the World Map is an optional get in that game

Hm, I had one right from the start. I guess the remake/remaster just has it unlocked?

Found the Prince of Cannock. Are the names of your companions chosen at random? I had the chance to change them, but Paul seemed like a good name :D

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Not entirely sure what you mean by adjective?

I meant objective. :woops:

209475.jpg?b64lines=TUUsIEZBSUwKIEVOR0xJ

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

I meant objective. :woops:

Ah, that makes more sense :p

I'll guess I'll use a guide if I'm stuck anyways. For now, it's not that difficult to keep track of where to go.

By the way, here's something that I hate: Paul being level 1. :nono: Well...it's a very old game, who knows if it would've been possible to make sure he got exp right from the start. Or maybe the devs just forgot :D

28 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hm, I had one right from the start. I guess the remake/remaster just has it unlocked?

Found the Prince of Cannock. Are the names of your companions chosen at random? I had the chance to change them, but Paul seemed like a good name :D

Nice, I remember the game got much better once I had a map. It's possible yours an incomplete map (with the full map still being at the same place as before), but it's way better than starting with nothing.

My Prince of Cannock was called Karl. So yeah, I think it's random. I do remember him coming at Level 1, too.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

I downloaded DQ II in the Christmas sale and have it ready to go. Just wouldn't mind getting a few (dozen) other RPGs out of the way first. :p 

Put a little more time into DQII just now.

Acquired the ship and am now off to the east.

I've read that this entry in the Dragon Quest series is supposed to be the hardest (and one of the hardest JRPGs ever), but so far it's been quite easy. I do a fair bit of grinding, but to be honest it's a lot less than what I do in other games.

I'm enjoying it very much, though :p
Just as in the first Dragon Quest game, you have to pay attention to what the people are saying to you. If you don't, you risk not knowing what to do and where to go.

The game does suffer from a few issues, just as the first one. Menus are slow (especially selling items), battle system is still kinda clunky (not being able to target enemies properly is some grade A bullcrap) and the encounter rate is cranked up the ass.

But it's Dragon Quest. The charm keeps me hooked and I love it :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

I've read that this entry in the Dragon Quest series is supposed to be the hardest (and one of the hardest JRPGs ever), but so far it's been quite easy. I do a fair bit of grinding, but to be honest it's a lot less than what I do in other games.

The infamous difficulty of DQII is slightly exaggerated, because... it's really only the final areas of the game. Up until that point, the bad targeting is your only issue, but when enemies start to bring their A-game, that's when it gets tough.

• Thanks 1

I started DQ II at the weekend to give me a break from Tales of Vesperia, as I've been locked into story segments in that with hardly any opportunity for some good old-fashioned levelling. Sometimes you just want to get out into the overworld and battle.

Firstly, it's cool that this is only the second DQ and already it comes with a scripted cutscene when you start a new file. (Though FF II was doing scripted scenes so it shouldn't come as too much of a shock.) Then, another nice surprise is that with this being the first DQ to have a party, I wasn't expecting to have to work to get the band together; I just thought we'd be sent out questing together from the get-go. So, I started the game only planning to level-up for a while around the opening area and leave it at that, but as you guys are saying, it isn't as difficult as I expected so after gaining only two levels, I struck out for a nearby dot on the map and took it from there. By the time I saved and quit, I'd ended up hitting several points on the map and partnering with the prince after just missing him at several places where he was apparently also looking for me. Ha! :laughing: 

One hold-over from DQ 1 that I wasn't prepared for was still needing to talk to the king to save. I kept checking with the priest and was wondering how much I needed to play to unlock the ability to save the game! I thought I was going to be stuck doing a quicksave, but after a while, I remembered to try the king. It is a nice bonus that it seems any king will do, but still.

@drahkon ...I'm not sure if any (mainline) DQ allows you to target individual enemies of the same type. :( Maybe XI, but it's been a while since I last played it so I can't remember.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

@drahkon ...I'm not sure if any (mainline) DQ allows you to target individual enemies of the same type. :( Maybe XI, but it's been a while since I last played it so I can't remember.

I can tell you with confidence that the 2D version of XI doesn't. (That might be intentional, given that 2D mode is meant to be a throwback to the retro style DQ).

6 hours ago, darksnowman said:

...I'm not sure if any (mainline) DQ allows you to target individual enemies of the same type. :(

sZvQ5mg.jpg

:(

DQXI allowed targeting individual enemies (however, apparently not in the 2D version, as that weird frog-Pokémon-avatar-having-person mentioned).

Would suck some serious balls if the battle system keeps it half-assed targeting throughout my journey. I eventually want to finish all Dragon Quest games of the main series (except DQX for obvious reasons).

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Would suck some serious balls if the battle system keeps it half-assed targeting throughout my journey.

In DQIII, If the encounter is 3 slimes, you can't pick an individual slime to attack (though certain weapons and spells can attack all of them). If the encounter is 1 slime and 1 raven, you can target whichever you like (but the aforementioned weapons and spells can't multi-target in that instance). If the encounter is 3 slimes and 2 ravens, you can pick which group to attack, but multi-target weapons will only affect the group you chose to attack.

But it's not completely random. When attcking the slimes, the AI will almost always pick the one with lowest HP.

Now if I'm not mistaken, DQII didn't even allow you to pick a "group", right?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

Now if I'm not mistaken, DQII didn't even allow you to pick a "group", right?

It does.

Just now, drahkon said:

It does.

Huh, I could swear something about DQII was demonstrably worse than DQIII in that regard, and I thought that was it. Maybe it really is just the fact that DQIII actually had more options to deal with multiple enemies.

My apologies, then.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:46 PM, drahkon said:

the encounter rate is cranked up the ass

Jeez louise, that shit's getting annoying.

Had to make my way through a tower/lighthouse/whatever and it was a slog. Yes, I did appreciate the experience but sometimes...can't believe I'm about to say this...sometimes the grind has to stop :D
Took me almost an hour and now I'm done with DQII for tonight...

• Sad 1
  • Weird 1

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

Yes, I did appreciate the experience but sometimes...can't believe I'm about to say this...sometimes the grind has to stop :D

BLASPHEMY!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this