ArtMediocre

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (29th May)

21 minutes ago, drahkon said:

So the story actually remains boring :p

I personally think the last three chapters are pretty entertaining. But whatever...

Spoiler

Forgot to mention that Alvis is actually the computer that Klaus was using when he accidently blew everything up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I personally think the last three chapters are pretty entertaining. But whatever...

Yeah, I don't doubt that people can find it entertaining. Fair play to them.

However, reading your write-up I would've probably constantly sighed for the remainder of the game :D

So the story actually remains boring
I really enjoyed the story, was nice to read Glen's summary as there were bits I had forgotten. I remember about the "experiment" between the scientists which I always thought was a nice touch.

I just finished Future Connected.

Spoiler

I say "Plot Stuff", but there wasn't really much. I mean, it's nice that Melia gets the spotlight, but there wasn't much there really.

There also wasn't much there to do with Xenoblade 2. Which I was kind of expecting after seeing Shulk's new Monado REX. The Fog King looked a little like the Morytha mutant enemies... I think? Hard to tell.

Maybe it's setting up for a future Xenoblade entry? Who knows.

I'm also surprised that it expects you not just to have played the main game, but to have done 2 certain chains of sidequests in the main game that I imagine most people wouldn't even have seen.

Still, I enjoyed it. Took me around 20 hours to 100% it. You unlock the ability to level up arts to 12 in the main game as well as the option to change Shulk's weapon cosmetics. So you can enjoy every cutscene where the Monado does something and replace the Monado with that crappy sword Shulk has at the start. Could have a few giggles there.

Gonna jump straight into New Game Plus and go for 100% That's including every Unique Monster. Even Avalanche Abassy.

• Like 1

73 hours and 1 minute (darn that 1 minute for the sake of not keeping things clean!) after starting, I've seen credits on Xenoblade Chronicles. I could have finished about 10 hours earlier, but felt like grinding a bit to finish up all the higher level quests I possibly could (ended up completing 335 side quests, besides the mandatory 31 story quests). 

Overall, I really enjoyed it, but it's far from a flawless game, and that's okay. Definitely a couple of times where it dragged, the story loses its bearings a bit in some places, and boy does it go heavy on JRPG tropes. But hey, I'm not complaining.

I do feel like the sense of awe and wonder at the size of the world does come to an end at a certain point though, which I feel is quite detrimental to the enjoyment of the game if that's you'd been enjoying, and for me it actually happened around the 40 hour mark, so roughly at the same time investment as where I think @drahkon dropped it. Weird that. And even though I enjoyed the game, I can totally empathise with why you dropped it, drahkon. Reading through your post on the last page I certainly feel like our opinions on where the game didn't quite match up to that early promise might overlap in a couple of places. 

Going to take my time and sit on my opinions on this one for a bit, considering just how long it is, but I can't not talk about the soundtrack. Holy smokes what a wonderful score they put together for this game! Will have to keep my eyes out for a potential release of the rearranged OST for this version of the game. 

Don't plan on jumping into Future Connected just yet, considering that a certain game comes out on Friday and I feel like I need a bit of a breather, but I think I'll get around to it a bit later on in the summer, if not then by the end of the year. I was happy with how and where this game ended. I might have to consider picking up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at some point, probably next year realistically. 

But yeah, in short, add me to the list of people who had a great time with Xenoblade Chronicles! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition  

content-2-36273-xenobladechroniclesdefinitiveeditionsidebox.jpg

n-europe review 

• Thanks 1

A certain change to Definitive Edition has inadvertently made Reyn, a pretty outclassed character originally, suddenly the best and most broken character in the game.

(I've timestamped this in a way that shouldn't be spoileriffic, but just in case, skip to 13:38. Because there's pretty big Chapter 12-ish spoilers earlier in the video)

Spoiler

Level 1!? What!?

Basically put, thanks to the new Level 12 arts you can get from finishing Future Connected, the cooldown on arts is low enough that Reyn can actually do this now.
Even if you don't cheese it, his level 12 arts make Magnum Charge and Berserker utterly obscene in how much damage they can put out.

Reyn Time, indeed!

• Thanks 1

I'm currently in chapter 9 (in some fancy, royal city) and the pacing of the game has suddenly dropped off a cliff. I've loved the game up to this point but am not enjoying it atm.

I'm currently around level 40...roughly how far into the game am I?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I'm currently in chapter 9 (in some fancy, royal city) and the pacing of the game has suddenly dropped off a cliff. I've loved the game up to this point but am not enjoying it atm.

Just past halfway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I think that's similar to the point I was at in the game originally on the Wii when I stopped playing it for a decade.

You're probably at around the halfway point, or just past it...

Yep, @Glen-i confirmed! :D

• Like 1

The story in this game so dull, especially if you compare it to Dragon Quest XI or even Octopath Traveler. I’m almost 35 hours in and the narrative has barely grabbed me at all.

However I do love the music, the environments, the battle system and overall gameplay, and so I will persevere with it.

Edited by Tim B