NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ArtMediocre

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (29th May)

Quick  question: what is the best time to travel back to colony 9?

Some googling told me that, story-wise, there's never going to be a good point to return to colony 9. 

But I'm still wondering what would be good gameplay-wise.

I haven't touched that gem furnace, and apparently there are plenty of quests still to pick up there, and I haven't explored the area too much as I was mostly following the story. I'm currently exploring Gaur plains. My story mission is to go to colony 6, but I'm exploring the area and doing some time-sensitive mission for people at the camp. My plan is to go back (the hard way) after I've done whatever needs to be done at colony 6.

6 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Quick  question: what is the best time to travel back to colony 9?

Some googling told me that, story-wise, there's never going to be a good point to return to colony 9. 

But I'm still wondering what would be good gameplay-wise.

I haven't touched that gem furnace, and apparently there are plenty of quests still to pick up there, and I haven't explored the area too much as I was mostly following the story. I'm currently exploring Gaur plains. My story mission is to go to colony 6, but I'm exploring the area and doing some time-sensitive mission for people at the camp. My plan is to go back (the hard way) after I've done whatever needs to be done at colony 6.

Uhhhh, whenever you feel like it?

I mean, with Area Map warping, it's super easy to get around.

That said, my recommendation? That would be to go back once you have left Colony 6 for the next area. There's a certain quest you can get if you raise the affinity for Colony 9 high enough. (It's called Desiree's Future)

Do that, and the reward you get is immensely helpful. It takes a while though. Highly recommended if you have time to waste.

• Thanks 2

Quick question:

O3qFODz.jpg

What do these symbols above the enemies mean?

Edit: Never mind. The game explained it at the next area. ::shrug:

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Just finished chapter 2.

Spoiler

:(

What the hell, man? Why would you do this to me? Fiora was awesome.

The world and characters are so much better than everything I've seen in the first 15 hours of the sequel. I'm much more invested and enjoying my time with it so much more.

4 hours in now and it's time to go back to sidequests :D

Edited by drahkon

Just now, Ike said:

How are people finding the resolution and frame rate?

Resolution is horrendous (just like in the sequel). Frame rate has been very steady so far (30fps, obviously).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Resolution is horrendous (just like in the sequel). Frame rate has been very steady so far (30fps, obviously).

Ah, shame. Was hoping those early reports were wrong.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Ah, shame. Was hoping those early reports were wrong.

You should check out the Digital Foundry Tech Report. Pretty in-depth analysis.

14 hours ago, drahkon said:

The world and characters are so much better than everything I've seen in the first 15 hours of the sequel. I'm much more invested and enjoying my time with it so much more.

4 hours in now and it's time to go back to sidequests :D

I mean, Reyn alone puts the XB2 cast to shame. I could listen to him spout quips for hours.

5f9.png

Especially that one. Makes me smile every time he says it.

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

41 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Makes me smile every time he says it.

I always say "wankers" out loud and giggle like a child :D

Played one more hour last night and the battle system slowly but surely picks up the pace it seems. Can't wait to see how it'll play out with a third character in the party.

Have to say: I'm loving it so far :peace:

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I see what you did there with Alvis. He was wearing a key on his neck before and now it's something that looks a lot like the Aegis from Xenoblade 2.

That's a pretty subtle retcon there.

49 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  Spoilers for Xenoblade 1 and 2 (Hide contents)

I see what you did there with Alvis. He was wearing a key on his neck before and now it's something that looks a lot like the Aegis from Xenoblade 2.

That's a pretty subtle retcon there.

That wasn't in the original?

11 hours in, just reached the Colony 6 area and about to start the story quest there.
Managed to clear out lots of side quests. The remaining 5 or so are either guarded by high level monsters or are in areas I can't reach, yet.

My party's at level 26 and all the story related fights have been a cakewalk. Love it :D

I have to say...the game is ugly as sin. Low resolution, textures are pretty bad and the character models are also nothing to be proud of. For a "Definitive Edition" this is very disappointing.

Edited by drahkon

Think I'm about eight hours, making my way to Colony 6. In love with the game already.

The combat system in this game, along with XC2, is just so damn addictive. The only thing I'm missing is the elemental types that XC2 had, but the combat is still pretty great. Definitely falling in love with the world the game is set in, and the characters seem to be pretty interesting and not quite so one dimension.

The game is a mixed bag graphically, but ultimately it's an improved version of a Wii game so I'm happy. Thankfully the frame rate has been flawless.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sméagol said:

That wasn't in the original?

Spoiler

Nope, definitely a different necklace.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1y5YzoNECL1eGTts3-lr

Don't get me wrong, it makes a lot of sense.

• Thanks 1

Finished chapter 5 and things got a lot more interesting :)

I really hope they don't...

Spoiler

...somehow bring Fiora back. I hate shit like that..."kill" a character but they miraculously survive and then conveniently show up at a dangerous moment.

I fear this will happen, though. There's been way too much talk of "She's dead"..."you killed Fiora"..."I will make you pay for this"...but we never actually saw her die.

Anyways. Played for 2 1/2 hours straight just now. Pretty much only followed the story as I've done most of the side quests available to me. Loved every second of it. Hopefully new side quests will open up now, though :D

Edited by drahkon

I refuse to continue untill I get the resort items for a character. Spent about 30 minutes doing "The walls have eyes" time trial to get Dunban's resort items. Got into Satorl Marsh last night and i'm just wondering around doing the quests I can before moving on. I need to go back to Colony 9 and talk to everyone to fill out my affinity chart.

4 hours ago, martinist said:

time trial

Did the first trial but that was it. Are they worth doing at all?

Got into Satorl Marsh last night and i'm just wondering around doing the quests I can before moving on.

Same here. Spent most of today doing side quests in that area. Still not done :D

I need to go back to Colony 9 and talk to everyone to fill out my affinity chart.

Stuck at 4 stars and I doubt I can increase the rank of Colony 9 any further without progressing the story.

Spent some more time with this today. Made some progress with the story but most of my time has been spent doing side quests.
Love the thing you can do with Colony 6 now. Looks like it'll be a grand undertaking. :peace:

34 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Did the first trial but that was it. Are they worth doing at all?

Only if you want your characters looking like they're on vacation. I use them as cosmetic gear, they're all named as "resort 1" or resort 2, 3, 4 ect.

Edited by martinist
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Edited by Sméagol

Please use spoiler tags for those who haven't played the game, yet, or haven't reached certain points and met certain apparently playable characters...

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Please use spoiler tags for those who haven't played the game, yet, or haven't reached certain points and met certain apparently playable characters...

There's little real info to be inferred from that simple landscape screenshot, but sure.

Just checking in at over 40 hours, think I'm pretty much at the very end of Chapter 12.

Probably completed 90% of the quests so far, think I'll backtrack a little tomorrow for those I need to go back and complete (the majority of which I'm pretty sure are just checking in with the quest giver). 

Not much to add to my previous thoughts outside of story progression honestly, and the story is clearly about to begin ascending towards the end (even if I imagine that's some 20 hours or so away based on the pacing and story direction so far, wouldn't be surprised if there's a spanner thrown in the works somewhere though), so I'd rather just wait and see. But suffice to say that I love these characters and world, and have had a blast with the story (clichés and all), as much as I was having in the opening 10 hours or so. 

Still avoided listening directly to the OST so far to save spoiling any of it for myself, and I am still getting floored over and over again by the variety and sound of the soundtrack. One or two tracks play so many times in cutscenes, and you think it would get tiring seeing as one is very clearly the track for cutscenes with hype and the other for cutscenes with sadness, but no, it just works perfectly every time. Goosebumps from an amazing track driving you during a big battle is awesome. I won't be surprised in the slightest when all is said and done if this ends up among my very favourite video game soundtracks. 

And yeah I'm over 40 hours in and the scale of the world is still bowling me over, and I'm still taking screenshots of it all like a madman. This game needs a Photo Mode update because the Party Gauge not disappearing when I hide all of the other things in the HUD is annoying, as is every reason that I mentioned for this game needing a Photo Mode that I mentioned before.

I think @drahkon touched on the resolution of the game, and while I sincerely have to agree that oftentimes it just doesn't look like a game that belongs on the Switch at all - along with muddy textures and texture pop-in, and frame rate issues (again, almost criminally not cleaned up in cutscenes) - I just can't hold a grudge against this game when it comes to the appearance of it all, because of the sheer scale on which I've seen achieved throughout so far.

It's not an excuse and I hope things are patched moving forwards, but man, this is a great world with pleasant vibes and an interesting story to escape to during these crazy times. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drahkon said:

Stuck at 4 stars and I doubt I can increase the rank of Colony 9 any further without progressing the story.

Set the time to 10 AM and run through the colony talking to everyone who has a name twice (Green dots on the mini map).

Chances are that they'll mention other characters, which raises the affinity and might unlock new quests.

Then set the time to 10PM and do it again.

You're at Chapter 6 and should be able to do the Desiree's Future sidequest. You might as well, seeing as you're at 4 stars. It's at around 4 and a half stars and is totally worth it.

Edited by Glen-i

Sign in to follow this