NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ArtMediocre

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (29th May)

13 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Eh...

Who here didn't already play it when it was on Wii, or later on 3DS? Feels like they're really milking this one.

Don't forget, it was available on the WiiU eShop as well.

Believe it or not, Xenoblade was always pretty niche until the second one sold so well. There'll be a lot of people who jumped into the series with that game and won't have played the first one.

And let's face it, the Wii version isn't exactly a looker as far as that console goes.

Edited by Glen-i

34 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Eh...

Who here didn't already play it when it was on Wii, or later on 3DS? Feels like they're really milking this one.

I didn't! 

Added this game to my list to play years ago when I started getting more into games, it's a game which kept cropping up here and elsewhere for having great characters, interesting mechanics, beautiful music, and a fantastic storyline - the very reasons I love some games so much. 

Don't get me wrong, I was tempted to buy the Wii or 3DS versions, but I had enough on my plate to play as it was so decided to hold out for a Switch release, which is way more than I was expecting: it looks stunning, there's additional content, remastered songs and, from what I've read, an overhauled UI.

I'm really excited to finally give this game a go.

Can't exactly say the same about successfully holding out for some other games I've been interested in, though... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Eh...

I had it on Wii and never really played it. 

Bought it on 3DS but the graphics put me off completely. 

Finally, a version I can sink my teeth into... Hats off to Nintendo for convincing me to buy this game for a third time :indeed: (the 3DS one was really unplayable to be fair). 

• Thanks 1

@Sheikah The fact that I've already played it is why I want to buy the collector's edition. I played through it on Wii U and I loved it, I've never owned a physical copy of it so would like to add it to my collection. Don't know if I'll play it straight away but the addition of the epliogue has me wanting to sink my teeth into it again

• Thanks 1

Future Connected is playable from the start. 

Not having the game in blur-o-vision™ is worth triple dripping.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

Future Connected is playable from the start. 

Not having the game in blur-o-vision™ is worth triple dripping.

It would have been so easy to just add this onto the end. I wonder if this decision was made with the idea of modern "spoiler culture" in mind? Save existing fans going through what I hear is a pretty lengthy game even by JRPG standards, only to get Future Connected spoiled for them on the way there? This respectfully gives fans the option to dive right in to avoid all that.

The way that Monolith Soft and Nintendo have handled this remake/remaster (what are we calling it guys? It reminds me of the situation with Shadow of the Colossus a few years ago...) so far is exactly how every remake/remaster should be handled: with respect to the vision of the original game and their existing fans, all without needlessly ostracizing newcomers, and by making worthwhile additions/changes (music, UI, the visuals!) to realise the game fully by today's standards. 

Kudos to them. Far too many in the industry see these opportunities as an easy, low effort cash grab, which I find is almost always disrespectful to the developers and fans of the original game(s) when handled in such a way.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the environments haven't been remodelled; just the characters and key objects (everything has been retextured though).

Wonder how much the new area will stand out from the rest of the game...

NoE providing a bit of a closer look at the Collector's Edition:

Looks fantastic. Fingers crossed for a physical release of the remastered OST on CD/Blu-Ray at some point! :D

• Like 1

Japanese Twitter account has posted a bunch of renders and screenshots of the main characters.  

They look fantastic! Really can't wait for this! :grin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Really hyped for this.

It doesn't look quite as good graphically as I was hoping (although they likely started with the original assets) but man, I'm so excited. I found XC2 a bit too anime for my taste but the combat system and supplementary systems were so damn good! I've heard nothing but good things about this game so very excited to step into the sequel.

I palyed this on the wii when it came out. Got pretty far in but i never finished it. I got too deep into the Colony 9 metagame and the side quests that I forgot all about the story.

Hopefully I can finish it this time.

On 03/05/2020 at 3:02 PM, martinist said:

I palyed this on the wii when it came out. Got pretty far in but i never finished it. I got too deep into the Colony 9 metagame and the side quests that I forgot all about the story.

Hopefully I can finish it this time.

Similar for me. I really loved the music (still listen to the OST) and massive areas, but got burned out on sidequests about 40 hours in and put the game down without seeing it through.

• Like 2

Just watched that English video, @Hero-of-Time, and I gotta say... that music, those scenes, the same English accents from the Wii original... what a trip down memory lane!

Just now, darksnowman said:

Just watched that English video, @Hero-of-Time, and I gotta say... that music, those scenes, the same English accents from the Wii original... what a trip down memory lane!

For better or worse. :p 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For better or worse. :p 

I'm going to say for better. It gave the game a unique flavour. :)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm so excited :bouncy: it looks fantastic! 

7 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Similar for me. I really loved the music (still listen to the OST) and massive areas, but got burned out on sidequests about 40 hours in and put the game down without seeing it through.

Yeah, I totally get that. I've really got to be in a particular mood for longer games, especially ones with a lot of side content, so I'm being really careful about which games I play this month leading up to it!

I really dislike the new models. Seems like they've gone more anime cute style, moving away from the unique brand of semi-realism they had first time.

It reminds me a bit of what they did in the Final Fantasy VIII updated port, making the characters look more anime-like. It's a shame because in that game too the models were clearly pixelated but you could make out what the original designers were going for.

16 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I'm going to say for better. It gave the game a unique flavour. :)

Any Xenoblade game without Adam Howden just isn't Xenoblade. Which is why he's in all 3 games.

And anyone who actually believes English Reyn and Riki aren't a million times better than the Japanese versions are people who must not be trusted.

Also, I like to always point out who Melia's voice actress is most well known for. If the Wii version came out a few years later, she'd be way too expensive for that niche project.

• Thanks 1

English version of the Japanese promotional trailer from last week:

Yeah, I'm also in the camp that really likes the voices in this game from what little I've heard of the English voice acting. 

• Thanks 1

The game has either broken it's street date, or we've got another case of a reviewer-turned-rogue. Great. 

But at least we've got some confirmation on how Future Connected is being treated in the game, and a cutscene viewer sounds great:

Having not played the original, it doesn't change much for me: just avoid the story (of that and Future Connected). I don't have much of an investment in Future Connected not having played the main game, but it's clear as day to me how much the existing fan base are excited for it, and it'll suck for those inevitably spoiled by the selfishness of a few people on something they've been waiting a long time for, but especially so because they already have that investment in it. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, Julius said:

The game has either broken it's street date, or we've got another case of a reviewer-turned-rogue. Great. 

But at least we've got some confirmation on how Future Connected is being treated in the game, and a cutscene viewer sounds great:

Having not played the original, it doesn't change much for me: just avoid the story (of that and Future Connected). I don't have much of an investment in Future Connected not having played the main game, but it's clear as day to me how much the existing fan base are excited for it, and it'll suck for those inevitably spoiled by the selfishness of a few people on something they've been waiting a long time for, but especially so because they already have that investment in it. 

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I don't use Twitter. Less chance of me getting spoilers from the game. But I guess I'll be a bit less active on youtube as well from now on.

I know that I won't be able to play this for a while. I'm too busy caring for my twins while playing Call of Duty. Gonna do the battle pass, and I'm about 8 levels from finishing it, so it shouldn't take too long. BUT I'm still struggling with finishing Torna. I'm maybe six hours in or so, so I have loads of more hours to play through until I'm done :S. And after that I still have Fire Emblem Three Houses. Jesus, why are there so many good games these days? I have no time for all this!!

OT: Future Connected being more or less a "standalone game" like Torna is great news for both new and old players alike! I'm glad they didn't just slap together a couple of fetch quests with some fanservice dialogue and called it a day. I'm really looking forward to the game now. Really feeling it!

Edited by ArtMediocre
Shortened down the quote

I hope they make it possible to buy Future Connected as a stand alone then. That would be awesome. But I think they use it to sell the main game so I don't think it'll happen. 

New Time Attack/Challenge Mode? 

– Defeat wave of enemies as quickly as possible

– The entrance is located in Colony 9

– Access it through a portal located right next to the Furnace

– When you go through the portal, you end up in a special place where the Nopon Archsage is waiting for you

– Talk to him, and you can select from a growing list of challenges, with more unlocked as you progress through the main story

– Two type of challenges

– Free: you can choose which characters will be in your party, and there are no particular restrictions

– Restricted: you have to tackle the challenges with some restrictions (max. Level, fixed party members, etc.)

– Once you have selected a challenge, the battle begins, and you have to defeat enemies that come at you in waves

– When you’ve defeated them all, your performance is evaluated based on various criteria (clear time, etc.), and you get a rank

– You also get Nopon Crystals as reward, based on your rank

– Those crystals can then be traded for various rewards, such as equipment, gems, and more

– Among the rewards you can get by trading your Nopon Crystals are brand new costumes for the various party members

Spoiler

xenoblade-de-time-attack-12.jpg

xenoblade-de-time-attack-11.jpg

xenoblade-de-time-attack-10.jpg

xenoblade-de-time-attack-9.jpg

Sign in to follow this