NEurope
Hero-of-Time

What Will You Be Buying & Playing Before The End Of The Year?

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It looks to be digital only which isn't that surprising given that it's by a small team. They also announced that they are remastering House of the Dead as well.

I owned and played Orta MANY moons ago but when I got rid of my original Xbox I also sold the games along with it. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Let's hope that Limited Run Games or Super Rare Games get the publishing rights then because if it's destined to be digital only then it might as well at the very least have a small print run for those who really want to own a boxed copy and it looks like that's what I'll be holding out for in this case and besides, it's not as if the Panzer Dragoon series isn't a stranger to having low print runs, especially when it comes to Panzer Dragoon Saga which I still hope will one day be remade somehow. :D

House of the Dead would be a good one to have boxed as well, just like the double pack on the Wii though it needs a light gun shell, maybe Nintendo will make a Labo one? :p

I didn't know you got rid of your original Xbox and all of your games, that's a shame :( but I guess you did what you needed to do at the time to get more games?

I'd been buying up original Xbox games cheap as and when I'd see them so I'm planning on playing my original Xbox again soon once I get it out of storage, I might as well seeing as Microsoft have given up on backwards comapability yet again, this time for the Xbox One. :rolleyes:

In addition to all the modern game systems listed, there are many retro games I'm planning on playing, it will all take time though and I doubt if it will be before the end of this year but next year is when I'll probably ramp things up a gear with all of that, I need to reorganise and reprioritise a lot of things first. :peace:

Out of interest and to take the thread in a slightly different direction (without the intention of de-railing it) I'd like to ask the following question...

Which retro games will you be planning on playing by the end of the year? These could be on old consoles or even re-releases, remakes etc... as I'm curious.

If it gets out of hand, then we can just take the conversation to the Retro thread but it's just nice to get a good bit of game talk going on the forum. :smile:

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It looks to be digital only which isn't that surprising given that it's by a small team. They also announced that they are remastering House of the Dead as well.

I owned and played Orta MANY moons ago but when I got rid of my original Xbox I also sold the games along with it. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

They've actually said that they're planning on doing a physical release but they don't seem to have mentioned anything since E3.  So I guess it's still happening, but they're just keeping quiet on the marketing front in general right now.

Which retro games will you be planning on playing by the end of the year? These could be on old consoles or even re-releases, remakes etc... as I'm curious.

If it gets out of hand, then we can just take the conversation to the Retro thread but it's just nice to get a good bit of game talk going on the forum

Ooh! I'd be up for that! But I think it'd probably be better suited to the Retro thread personally.

I just beat Castlevania Bloodlines a few days ago (awesome game BTW! Well worth the wait and well worth the hype it has gotten over the years!), just beat Sonic 2 again and am currently trying (and failing!) to beat Contra Hard Corps for the first time.

Otherwise, my list is very much focused on the MD Mini right now.  There's plenty there that I've never played before (like Alisha Dragoon, Beyond Oasis and Snow Bros), plenty that I haven't played in years (like Alien Soldier, Shining Force and MUSHA) and plenty that I've never been able to beat before (like Thunderforce 3 and Revenge of Shinobi); but there's also Stunt Race FX that I've never had before getting it on Switch and I'm still playing through Trials of Mana and Final Fantasy Adventure as well.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They've actually said that they're planning on doing a physical release but they don't seem to have mentioned anything since E3.  So I guess it's still happening, but they're just keeping quiet on the marketing front in general right now.

I'll take ten! :D

Or at least two anyway.

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Which retro games will you be planning on playing by the end of the year? These could be on old consoles or even re-releases, remakes etc... as I'm curious.

Well, I guess for me, the first one that I happen to be playing right now is Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy, which I believe is a remaster of the Wii title Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. I think I'm on the last dungeon before the credits. But the Bahamut fight there is kinda kicking my butt.

The soundtrack on that game is way too good! I already had that impression because a few of those songs appear in the second Theatrhythm game, but damn, this has some amazing arrangements!

Just like @Dcubed, my Mega Drive Mini arrived. Unlike him, however, this is the first Sega console I've ever owned. Yes, it counts, shut up!

I haven't booted it up, waiting until I get home for that. But looking at the back of the box, there's a pretty sweet selection of 41 games!

And Sonic Spinball... which I wish wasn't on there, actively bringing down the quality just by existing. Seriously, I'd want them to just delete it off of my MD Mini. Wouldn't even need to replace it with another game. Just get that garbage out of there!

@Dcubed informs me that the Tetris game there is that super rare one that's crazy expensive. Which is pretty damn cool. Makes the PlayStation Mini look really awful in comparison.

The only obvious blemish it has (apart from that game which shall not be named again) is the lack of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Don't get me wrong. I completely understand the sheer amount of problems porting that game comes with. But it is my favourite Mega Drive game that I've ever played and the best Sonic game and it does feel one step short of being a complete Mini console collection without it. I might have to fix that when the console inevitably gets hacked. It'd be nice to have quick easy access to that game without digging out my Wii. Plus, I'd be able to play it with a Mega Drive controller as well!

So yeah, lots of new (to me) Mega Drive games for me to discover and try. Shining Force, Phantasy Star and the Monster/Wonder Boy/World games jump out to me so I'll probably try those first.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just bought Untitled Goose Game, so that I guess.

• Like 1

For Switch, honestly, it might just be Pokémon Sword.

Potentially DQXIS and Link's Awakening, but I'm not too sure about either of those — my first experience with DQXI was pretty much perfect, and while it's easily one of my favourite games, I'm not sure that I can justify another playthrough just yet, and I don't want to risk my current view of the game; with Link's Awakening, I was hoping Breath of the Wild would be my first Zelda game which I played to completion, but I dropped after around 50 hours and have had difficulty returning to it. Listened to one or two songs from the soundtrack for Awakening, which has me pretty much sold, but not sure if I'll get to it this side of Christmas.

Still waiting for news on a lot of indie games for the Switch which I'm interested in, though, like CrossCode. But I fear that may have been delayed until next year now :sad:

Haven't used my Switch as much as I'd hoped this year, but my list for next year is already starting to grow, and on the other hand, I've made some decent progress with my DS/3DS/PS4 games, and have played a lot of fun and great things this year! 

Luigi's Mansion is on the way, and Pokémon Sword pre-ordered. Other than that I think I will just be trying to clear the backlog a bit for the rest of the year. Also waiting for the all the Legend of Zelda series Amiibos that I'm missing and the as yet unreleased Smash series ones to be dispatched! Oh and waiting to see if Ring Fit Adventure has any black Friday discounts...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Ealdst said:

Also waiting for the all the Legend of Zelda series Amiibos that I'm missing and the as yet unreleased Smash series ones to be dispatched!

Which ones are you missing? I know it's not much use now but they did have another restock the other day, a lot of them sold out really quickly though.

My list has thinned a bit now that Ni no Kuni is over and done. I'm getting Luigi's Mansion 3 tomorrow and once I'm done with that, I will either go to Pokémon Sword or get Ori, Yooka-Laylee, or A Hat in Time. I should be able to finish two of those before the end of the year. But I have it all planned out. 

Next year is The Year of the WItcher 3, I guess. 

Which ones are you missing? I know it's not much use now but they did have another restock the other day, a lot of them sold out really quickly though.
There's a few (mostly the 30th anniversary ones, and the bokoblin and guardian BotW ones), but I have them all on order thanks to the first restock they did. Just awaiting them actually being shipped! I believe the current estimates date is the 2nd December.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ealdst said:

There's a few (mostly the 30th anniversary ones, and the bokoblin and guardian BotW ones), but I have them all on order thanks to the first restock they did. Just awaiting them actually being shipped! I believe the current estimates date is the 2nd December.

Oh cool, glad to hear it! :D

Yeah I do keep a look out for when the amiibo restocks happen, if I notice as they happen I'll try and post here before they sell out to let people know, half the time though most of them had already sold out before I'd even typed out the post to say that they're available.

I still keep a look out for when they list the new ones for Super Smash Bros. amiibo set because I'm all in for those now and I don't want to miss out.

It's going to be odd when the Smash Bros set is complete... although, what am I saying? It will never be complete due to the dlc characters being added in the future, it was all part of Nintendo's plan all along to keep us buying the amiibo figures, I should have known this would happen. :p

Still, I can't wait to get the Banjo & Kazooie amiibo figure, until then the Totaku figure will have to do. (guh-huh!)

Oh cool, glad to hear it!
Yeah I do keep a look out for when the amiibo restocks happen, if I notice as they happen I'll try and post here before they sell out to let people know, half the time though most of them had already sold out before I'd even typed out the post to say that they're available.
I still keep a look out for when they list the new ones for Super Smash Bros. amiibo set because I'm all in for those now and I don't want to miss out.
It's going to be odd when the Smash Bros set is complete... although, what am I saying? It will never be complete due to the dlc characters being added in the future, it was all part of Nintendo's plan all along to keep us buying the amiibo figures, I should have known this would happen.
Still, I can't wait to get the Banjo & Kazooie amiibo figure, until then the Totaku figure will have to do. (guh-huh!)
Yeah I'm usually checking a minimum of 2 or 3 times a day for restocks or new pre-orders going live as they tend to sell out so fast. I'm not looking for a full collection regarding Smash, mostly just the ones from my favourite game series within the cast and ones I think look cool. Originally I was only going to get 1 or 2, now I have a shelf full of them! At the moment the main ones I want restocked are Pacman and Megaman as I missed these originally.

Crazy amount of games to get through. 

Currently playing Yooka-Laylee (almost done with it now) which is just sublime, got Luigi tomorrow. Then Pokémon. 

Want to get Monkey Ball and Resident Evil 5 for Switch too. 

Then Professor Layton in November too. 

Crazy! 

I've got Luigi's Mansion arriving tomorrow but I still need to buy Ori & The Blind Forest, Deadly Premonition on the eShop (when I can afford them). I will definitely be getting Mario & Sonic before the end of the year but probably won't be able to buy it at launch because I'll be using the money on Shenmue just over a week later. 

Pokémon will be on my Xmas list, otherwise I don't think there are any upcoming releases I'll be getting. 

So... I don't quite remember which games I had on my list but I did end up playing many of the ones that I wanted. I didn't complete Luigis Mansion 3 or Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (the former because it was boring, the latter because it's too much work) and have bought and am about to start Ori and the Blind Forest. Those were all on my to play list for 2019 so that's fine. Once I'm done with Ori, there is no game on the horizon for me so will buy Witcher 3. All according to plan. 

Then I have Hellblade and Celeste on my Switch, both never played.

Edited by MindFreak

So, continuing this for the new year, my new year's resolution is to not buy nearly so much stuff and get through some of the horrendously large backlog I have instead. There's a couple of games I know I will be buying however, namely Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Animal Crossing. So now I'm just awaiting that Jan/Feb direct full of announcements that make me break my resolution!

• Thanks 1