NEurope
Hero-of-Time

What Will You Be Buying & Playing Before The End Of The Year?

Inspired by @MindFreak posting his wish list in the Switch General thread, I figured it would be nice to quickly knock up something to show a few of the games we know of that are arriving on the Switch before the end of the year, as well as new hardware and amiibo. These are just a handful of games that are getting a retail release and no doubt there will be many people, myself included, that are looking forward to eShop only games as well. Anyway, here we go.

Not only are there a lot of new games to be play but Nintendo is also releasing a lot of new hardware that will likely attract both Switch and non-Switch owners.

EDyHBOZWkAIFm8c?format=jpg&name=medium

Not to be left out in this packed release period, amiibo fans also have something to look forward to, with Nintendo releasing an adorable Link's Awakening amiibo, new Smash Bros. Amiibo and the Shovel Knight 3 pack.

What games and hardware will you be looking to pick up, if any? How many of these will be day 1 purchases? What eShop/digital games are you excited to play before the end of the year? What is your most anticipated Switch release?

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From that list I’m considering Links Awakening and Luigis Mansion 3 but I’m not exactly itching to get either so I wouldn’t be surprised if I get them in 2020.

Great opening thread @Hero-of-Time For me...

Software:
Link's Awakening - A visual treat, but I'm still a bit gutted it's not a new game
Luigi's Mansion 3 - Looks fantastic. Planning on only playing this at night/past midnight in bed
Tetris 99 - Love the addition of missions to earn themes. Hope they have the GB theme cause I missed it at the time
King of Cards - Expecting greatness, they've had long enough :blank:
The Touryst - From Shin'en, looks great
Bubble Bobble 4 Friends - Adore the NES game, I'll wait for reviews of this one. Art style is a little off
(Hollow Knight Silksong - Maybe this year, but probably not. Easily my most anticipated game)

All pretty much Day 1. There's certainly more eShop games but the above stick out for now

Hardware:
Yellow Switch Lite - Don't need it. Still want it. IF (big if) it's easy to duplicate my main Switch library and progress can easily transfer between devices
Shovel Knight x3 amiibo - feels like I ordered it years ago. Yacht Club certainly take their sweet time
LA Link amiibo - because, well, just look at it!

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

My pre-ordered list is getting smaller now, but there's still these left:

Pre-ordered

• Daemon X machina
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • The Witcher
  • Doom Eternal
  • Pokémon Sword
  • Momodora (physical)
  • Transistor (physical)
  • Timespinner (physical)
  • The Messenger (physical)
  • Minit (physical)
  • Gris (physical)
  • Micro Mages NES

Almost certainly or certainly going to pre-order (or buy digitally)

• AI: Somnium Files
  • Raging Loop
  • Atelier Ryza
  • Destiny Connect
  • Va-11-Hall-A
  • River City Girls (physical)
  • Jay & Silent Bob Mawl Brawl NES
  • Untitled Goose Game
  • Return of the Obra Dinn
  • The Outer Worlds  (if "soon" means this year)
  • Blaster Master 0 (physical)

Probably going to buy later but before the end of the year

• Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Zelda Links Awakening
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Overwatch

Probably will buy these from my backlog before the end of the year

• Steins;Gate elite
  • The world ends now
  • Travis Strikes back
  • Trials Rising

Plus there are some indies, but I want to see if they get physical releases. I'm also probably forgetting some games, plus there are plenty "maybes".

Definitely not buying a Switch Lite or Switch revision.. No amiibo unless I go hunt for some older ones, maybe coloured joy-cons (purple) but probably not.

Edited by Sméagol

I see now that I actually forgot games like Hollow Knight Silksong and The Outer Worlds on my list... 

Games: 

Luigi's Mansion 3

Pokemon (not sure which one yet) 

SMB - as I love the series. Though this game isn't a patch on 1&2. 

Zelda

Yooka-Laylee

Mario & Sonic

Resident Evil 5

I don't do Amiibo apart from Boo (because he glows!) and I love the yellow Lite but won't be buying one when I already have a reg Switch. As that would be nuts. 

• Thanks 1

Definite buys: Luigi's Mansion 3; Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020; Return of the Obra Dinn; The Touryst; Mineko's Night Market; Sayonara Wild Hearts; Hollow Knight: Silksong (if those three actually make it out this year)

Will pick up at some point but not necessarily at launch: Link's Awakening; The Witcher 3; Untitled Goose Game; Two Point Hospital; A Hat in Time; DOOM Eternal

Definitely on my Xmas list: Pokemon Sword/Shield (whichever one my brother doesn't get)

Edited by killthenet

Zelda
Pokémon
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario & Sonic

I was toying with the idea of getting Dragon Quest for a while too, and the demo made a fantastic impression, but I just don't feel like getting into a super long story driven game at the moment. :hmm:

There are also lot's of eShop titles I'm yet to pick up, including Cuphead, The Messenger, Katana Zero, Blazing Chrome, Katamari Reroll etc... but I'm waiting for sales on all of that stuff now. Might nab Katamari very soon though as that's currently 40% off. :cool:

No amiibo. Was super tempted by Link, but nope, not caving in... I'm not. :heh:

And no Switch Lite either. I'm happy with the current Switch (well, apart from its Joy-Con, which I rarely use now as they're so borked) and the Lite just isn't small enough IMO. Had it been half that size I almost certainly would've got one. In a way I'm kinda glad they screwed it up so I can save some dough. :D

• Thanks 1

For sure list:

• Tetris 99 (Although I think it better suits being digital but it comes with a free(?) year sub which is tempting)
  • Link's Awakening
  • Dragon Quest XI (EN and JP)
  • Ghostbusters
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pokemon Sword

I think Blazblue Cross Tag Battle version 2 is due out in November.

Maybe list:

• Ni No Kuni
  • Layton's Mystery Journey
  • Two Point Hospital (do want it, but I think it's going to have be sacrificed due to the amount of stuff coming out in September)

I slept on Astral Chain but might pick it up at some point.

Gonna pick up a Switch Lite, the normal Switch hurts my hands so hoping this might be a bit better, plus hoping the d-pad is good for fighters.

Picking the the LA Amiibo, and Chrom for definite. Maybe the Pokemon ones as well.

I'm picking up a Switch Lite (the turquoise one) on Sept. 20th and I'll be grabbing Link's Awakening and Ni No Kuni to go with it on launch day. Might also pick up Gris and Baba is You as two smaller games to jump into as well.

I've not really thought much beyond that for what I'll be picking up for the rest of the year. I'm tempted to pick up The Witcher 3 again as, even though I've finished it all, I would love to be able to just and play through it again more leisurely while in bed at the end of the day or something. I'll be trying out the demo for Dragon Quest XI to see what that's like as I held off of buying it on the PS4 as I wasn't sure it'd be for me so a demo helps me decide on that one at least. I do tend to struggle a but more with JRPGs nowadays, especially in the wake of Mass Effect and The Witcher so even Ni No Kuni is something I'm not sure I'll stick with though I imagine it's something that'll be hard to get hold of physically as time goes on so best to grab it when I can.

Might also consider picking up A Hat in Time. I love the game and could easily play it again and with this having the DLC which the developers could never bother to port to the other consoles, it's something I'm strongly considering. It's also another game I think will be short on supply and I'd like to have physical as much as possible.

Beyond those, I'm looking at Luigi's Mansion 3, although I haven't played the second but might well do as my partner bought a 3DS not long ago so might be worth trying out, and I'll undoubtedly pick up one of the Pokemon games but not sure which one. Everyone will go for Sword so I'm tempted with Shield as I'm fine with the legendaries as they are regardless of version (I barely end up using them in game anyway).

That might be it beyond some other indie stuff, like Unritled Goose Game. If I can find a physical copy of it, I'd live to pick up Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy as I've always wanted to play it and maybe The World Ends With You, even if the Switch version isn't supposed to be the best.

So potentially not a huge amount but plenty to keep me entertained on returning to the Switch.

Edit: Forgot about Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection so that'll be getting picked up and played in December too.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Thanks 1

Pre ordered:

Link’s Awakening

Pokemon Sword

Pokemon Shield

Ghostbusters

Luigi’s Mansion 3

Tetris 99

• Amiibo:
  • Link’s Awakening Link
  • Snake
  • Squirtle
  • Ivysaur
  • Chrom
  • Dark SamusSimon Belmont
  • Richter Belmont
  • Incineroar
  • Shovel Knight amiibo 3-pack

Maybe list:

Little Town Hero

Daemon X Machina

Mario & Sonic Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Ni no Kuni

The Witcher III

Panzer Dragoon

Lady Layton

Probably none out of that list, although I might get Astral Chain when it's not so expensive (i.e next year).

This year there's certainly more coming to the Switch i'm interested in over the PS4.

Pre-ordered (Physical)

• Link's Awakening
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Pokemon Sword/Shield (not decided which one to stick with)

Going to get digitally

• Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Considering

• A Hat in Time

Shovel Knight is a cert, but as that's coming as an update for me, it's not on the list.  If Silksong comes this year, i'll certainly get that as well.

I look at some people's lists, and i do wonder how you'll find the time for all that.  I know Hero-of-Time seemingly has infinite time (i swear he's got a time machine or something), but respect if you can find the time.

Edited by Jimbob

My to-buy-list from now until the end of the year...

Switch

AI: The Somnium Files

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (+ LA Link Amiibo - It's too bloody cute!! :heart:)

Untitled Goose Game

Dragon Quest 11s: Echoes of an Illusive Age Definitive Edition

Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair

Ring Fit Adventure

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered

Killer Queen Black

Little Town Hero

Luigi's Mansion 3

Pokemon Sword/Shield

DOOM 64

DOOM Eternal

Panzer Dragoon Remake

PC

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (I backed this on Kickstarter but I chose it on Switch and it turned out to be a crap version.  I really want to play this game, but there's no way I can justify paying full price on PC after having already backed it at a pretty high tier for the rubbish Switch version! So I have to wait for a decent discount...)

Shenmue 3 (Well, technically I've already bought it since I backed it on Kickstarter but whatevs!)

Other

Mega Drive Mini (Asian version with the superior game selection!)

Switch model HAC-001(-01) (The one with superior battery life)

Also wanna get a Mega SG and a Super NT at some point, but that's lower on the priority list.

It's a really healthy list, but I'm probably not gonna have time to play everything :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Quite possibly nothing anymore as I’m absolutely skint (work on the house). :cry:

Edited by Kav
  • Sad 3

*why can’t i hold all these games.jpg*

I hate my life and I hate my Switch. I already have 50 games in the backlog and plan to buy at least 10 retail releases this year. That’s not including the 50+ I have on the e-shop wish list.

Genuinely the greatest console I’ve ever owned. 

• Thanks 1

I was going to post in here earlier but my initial reaction to the amount of games coming out was something like this...

"I feel like I have barely enough time to play the games I have as it is, let alone even think about all of the games coming out in between now and the end of the year" :p

Now we're at the start of October, I'm starting to get back into actually playing games more and finding time for them so I'm thinking...

"It might not be a bad idea to at least have some kind of battle plan, even if it all goes wrong only a week end and I somehow get to the end of the year thinking, what happened?" :indeed:

So let's give this a try...

Games I'm currently playing

• Monster Hunter World - Every now and then, need to get back to it, working through quests.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Playing a few hours each night, will hopefully finish it soon.
  • Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst - Some nights I just play a few quests online and it's great fun.

Backlog titles I want to play

(Nintendo Switch)

• Astral Chain - I was playing this and enjoying it, then more games came out, I'll go back to it.
  • Daemon X Machina - Yep... this will be played at some point but not right now.
  • Doom - Yes, the game originally from 2016, need to play it before the sequel.
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition - The long title takes up too much writing space, I want to play this very soon.
  • Horizon Chase Turbo - I got the physical version but I also got the soundtrack, I've listened to the soundtrack loads, just need time for the game.
  • The Messenger - Got a physical release for it, need to play it and the free dlc.

/PS4/

• Devil May Cry 3 - Must finish this before getting back to DMCV, loving what I've played so far.
  • Devil May Cry V - I want to get back to this, but I'm playing this third game before I do.
  • Judgment - I bought this when it came out, I want to play it but... Yakuza series.
  • Kingdom Hearts Series - One day, I'll play these and defeat the darkness for good.
  • Metro series - Looks great, bought the games to support the developer and I want to play them.
  • Nier Automata - I need to play this but I need to play the first game before.
  • Shenmue I & II - Shenmue III is coming out in November, I want to play these again, will I? Who knows...
  • Yakuza Series - Started the prequel, I enjoy it, I'll surely love the series but I need more time.

[Xbox One]

• Forza - Gotta get my fix of cars.
  • Gears - Gotta get my fix of chainsaws.
  • Halo  - Gotta get my fix of Master Chief.
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta - Just because I love the series and need to replay it.
  • Rare Replay - Because there's games in there which I've never played before, the collection has been out four years already.

Upcoming Games

(Nintendo Switch)

• October 8th - Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - I owe it to myself to play this when it comes out, my copy has already shipped, heck I might review it!
  • October 8th - Aldred Knight of Honor - It's a new eShop title, I reported on it the other day, it's 89p currently, I've bought it, look out for a review.
  • October 18th - A Hat in Time - I need to pre-order the physcial version, I need to play this.
  • October 29th - Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD - I should maybe buy this for the mini-games?
  • October 29th - Wargroove Deluxe Edition - I want to play this, I'll pre-order it probably.
  • October 31st - Luigi's Mansion 3 - It's the third game in the series, it looks amazing, I can't miss this.
  • November 15th - Pokémon Sword & Shield - Sword version for me, Shield version for my brother who will soon own a Switch.
  • November 22nd - Deadly Premonition Origins - I've heard nothing but good things about this game, the Switch is getting the sequel so I need to play this.
  • November 22nd - Doom Eternal - It's Doom, it looks amazing, I need to play Doom 2016 though...
  • 2020 - Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha & Beta - I mistakenly bought the JP versions then I found out these are coming out, so I'll sell those and get these versions.

/PS4/

• October 25th - Medievil - I never properly played the original, I should get this.
  • November 8th - Death Stranding - Do I really want this? I really don't know at this point.
  • November 19th - Shenmue III - I mean... I backed it, so I'm getting it and I'm playing it, it's that simple.
  • 2020 - Yakuza Remastered Collection / The Last of Us Part II - I should pre-order these.

[Xbox One]

2019 - 2020 - Nothing... except for one title.

• Phantasy Star Online 2 - This is all I need to justify owning my Xbox One, it's finally coming out over here and I couldn't be happier.

That's what the rest of the year is currently looking like for me, that took a while to type out but at least I feel like I have an idea of what's coming now, roughly. :D

This is without even listing loads of Limited Run Games and things like that, plus there's the added challenge of now being unemployed so I need to make some cash.

It's all in hand though, as I've been going through my game collection and I think I'll be selling a few things this weekend for a start.

One thing is for certain though, I'll be buying less games in 2020 but at least then maybe I'll find the time to play a lot of the games I have hopefully. :peace:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S.C.G said:
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta - Just because I love the series and need to replay it.

Sorry to add to your list but if you love the series, then you should also consider the remake that's coming to Switch this year. :) 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Sorry to add to your list but if you love the series, then you should also consider the remake that's coming to Switch this year. :) 

I'm shocked/disgusted that he hasn't listed it. Disgraceful, Sam. :p 

Spealing of Orta, it hits Game Pass this month and I'll be giving it a play through before the 2 month subscription I bought for Gears 5 runs out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Yes but is it really? I had the impression that it's not locked in yet for some reason and it could be delayed.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm shocked/disgusted that he hasn't listed it. Disgraceful, Sam. :p 

Spealing of Orta, it hits Game Pass this month and I'll be giving it a play through before the 2 month subscription I bought for Gears 5 runs out.

I only didn't list it because I really didn't think it was definitely coming out this year, plus I looked for a place to pre-order it and couldn't find anywhere.

Don't tell me that there's no physical version planned for the remake of Panzer Dragoon? It can't just be digital only, that'd be terrible, it deserves a boxed release.

You really should play Orta if it's on Game Pass if you don't own it already, I thought you did though? If not then it's worth picking up a physical copy. :D

12 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Yes but is it really? I had the impression that it's not locked in yet for some reason and it could be delayed.

It has a "winter" release window so I guess it will probably come out in January or February - even though we don't really have anything for December yet. 

Edited by MindFreak

55 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I only didn't list it because I really didn't think it was definitely coming out this year, plus I looked for a place to pre-order it and couldn't find anywhere.

Don't tell me that there's no physical version planned for the remake of Panzer Dragoon? It can't just be digital only, that'd be terrible, it deserves a boxed release.

You really should play Orta if it's on Game Pass if you don't own it already, I thought you did though? If not then it's worth picking up a physical copy. :D

It looks to be digital only which isn't that surprising given that it's by a small team. They also announced that they are remastering House of the Dead as well.

I owned and played Orta MANY moons ago but when I got rid of my original Xbox I also sold the games along with it. I'm looking forward to playing it again.